What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Now I'm onto a new book called A Prince from the Shadows by J.Curtis Mace. The author was kind enough to provide me with a free copy in exchange for a review on my blog. It's a fantasy book. Sounds kind of cool - hope it's a good read.

Went and looked at your blog, really good. One thing to ask about your blog is whether or not you are going to do a review on one of the new Percy Jackson books, like Son of Neptune and such?

On Topic: I just finished reading the last unread book (for me) in the Ranger's Apprentice series and Started on the last book in the Alex Rider series. Both series are great, but the first one has really short books, or maybe I just read fast, taking me 2 days to finish one book when I get into it. Alex Rider is a good series aswell.

Also, has anybody here ever read the first book in a series and forgotten all about what it was called because there were no more books yet?

My summer assignment for AP Literature next year is a choice of reading either The Iliad, Jane Eyre, Dante's Inferno, or Crime and Punishment.

I chose The Inferno for no particular reason, not sure what to expect.

Now I'm onto a new book called A Prince from the Shadows by J.Curtis Mace. The author was kind enough to provide me with a free copy in exchange for a review on my blog. It's a fantasy book. Sounds kind of cool - hope it's a good read.

Went and looked at your blog, really good. One thing to ask about your blog is whether or not you are going to do a review on one of the new Percy Jackson books, like Son of Neptune and such?

Thanks so much :) I guess I could. The only problem is that I've already read them and it's been a few months. I'd probably have to reread them first to refresh my memory. However, I will be writing a review of the last book of the Kane Chronicles series (The Serpent's Shadow) in a few weeks.

Also, has anybody here ever read the first book in a series and forgotten all about what it was called because there were no more books yet?

That has kind of happened to me. I think I'm more organized now that I'm using Goodreads though. You can basically create lists to categorize your books. So you could create a list for all those series books you need to keep track of.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

My summer assignment for AP Literature next year is a choice of reading either The Iliad, Jane Eyre, Dante's Inferno, or Crime and Punishment.

I chose The Inferno for no particular reason, not sure what to expect.

Expect a lot of symbolism and passages that'll seem pretty strange if you don't know what they're alluding to. At least, that's how I felt when we read part of it in our Latin class (in the original Italian because our teacher is a purist like that).

That has kind of happened to me. I think I'm more organized now that I'm using Goodreads though. You can basically create lists to categorize your books. So you could create a list for all those series books you need to keep track of.

Signed up for Goodreads, only issue is the five minutes I spent rating books in that starting thing, and those were just the ones that popped up from others I liked.

Edit: Realized that I've easily read 100 books in the past 3 years...

A site I used (haven't in a while) is Librarything. (I've never used Goodreads, so I'm not sure how comparable either of them are.)

You can catalog up to 200 books with a free account; it's only $10 for a 1 Year membership, and $25 for a Lifetime membership. There are discussion boards, you can browse other people's collections, etc. You also get "awards" for contributing information about books (think of it sort of like a Wiki for each individual book. If something is missing, like the publisher or cover of that edition, you can add that information.)

The awesome thing I liked about Librarything was that they sell a "CueCat" USB scanner, which I bought. So instead of manually entering the ISBN number for all of your books, or searching for them, you can just scan the barcode on the back of each book you own and it will automatically enter it into your catalog.

cuecat-stalking.jpg

:thumbup:

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

A site I used (haven't in a while) is Librarything. (I've never used Goodreads, so I'm not sure how comparable either of them are.)

You can catalog up to 200 books with a free account; it's only $10 for a 1 Year membership, and $25 for a Lifetime membership. There are discussion boards, you can browse other people's collections, etc. You also get "awards" for contributing information about books (think of it sort of like a Wiki for each individual book. If something is missing, like the publisher or cover of that edition, you can add that information.)

The awesome thing I liked about Librarything was that they sell a "CueCat" USB scanner, which I bought. So instead of manually entering the ISBN number for all of your books, or searching for them, you can just scan the barcode on the back of each book you own and it will automatically enter it into your catalog.

cuecat-stalking.jpg

:thumbup:

I actually used Librarything for ages as well. I kind of stopped (or started slacking) when I found Goodreads. In general, the Goodreads site is A LOT better. Part of that is the website designer in me cringing at Librarything's website.. especially their discussion boards. Goodreads is a lot better and more user friendly. Also, I'm pretty sure there's no limit on cataloguing books. Librarything does have the Early Reviewers program, which is nice, but Goodreads also has giveaways and they generally have a lot more books to give away.

Plus, Goodreads is better engineered as a social networking site. There are a lot of cool status update/friends/blogging features that you can easily integrate with Twitter and Facebook.

Right now I'm trying to use both sites but I find myself drifting more towards Goodreads.

That CueCat thing does sound cool though :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

For what feels like two years, Goodread makes me feel like a dick at least once a month when they email me their newsletter wanting me to update my progress on this book I never finished, and have no intent to.

tFtfA.jpg

Currently reading Inheritance. Just in general I think Christopher Paolini looks a bit too smug for his own good. But that's me being judgmental. :P

My fiance has a fairly extensive Goodreads. I think I tried setting one up, but didn't get very far. I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment what with being unemployed and recently graduated, so maybe I'll try again.

Flyingjj.png

I've recently really gotten into reading a lot of books in my spare time at school and it sure has been a great time. Always liked reading but never really had a lot of books around, but then I realized I could get ebooks online and I got 35 or so of them on my iPod, read through about half since I started them in february. A lot of the books I read are honestly meant for children, but I guess old habits die hard and it's always fun to have a different world to sink into.

One book that was pretty cool that I actually read last year but I think is worth mentioning is In the Courts of the Sun (I think?) By Brian D'Amato, it's the start of a triology which is based around the 2012 end of the world which was really neat.

I started off with some books by Garth Nix because I had read his Old Kingdom series a number of times and really loved it. The books being Shade's Children, his new one Trouble Twister, his other series that I'm not sure the name of but started with Mister Monday and The Seventh Tower series.

I was then told to try the books by David Eddings, started with The Belgariad which is a set of five books. I read all of them and really loved it, so I started on the next set, The Mallorean which I'm two books into and still loving.

I've also read all the books by Cassandra Clare, read the first book, City of Bones a few years back and have been reading the rest of her books as they've come out. I felt rather oblivious, but I didn't even realize it was kinda the same thing as twilight because one of my friends pointed it out to me, I always considered the love aspects to be rather back seat. First it made me a bit put off of the books but then I realized I actually didn't mind too much so I've just kept reading all the books and still say it's well worth the time. Just on the last couple of pages of City of Lost Souls, then I'm back to reading the third book of the Mallorean.

Honestly when it comes to books I'm not very critical, as long as I read the entire thing (which is almost always) I'll consider the book to be good. This is mostly because really I just read to escape and waste some time so as long as it does that I'm happy.

Also just came to mind the triology of Seeker, Jango and Nomad. I forget the name of the author as it has been a while but I personally found them very interesting to read and just thought I'd mention them. As well as the Gatekeeper series by Anthony Horowitz, which I was extremely excited to find out was finally going to have a final book coming out this October.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

I've also read all the books by Cassandra Clare, read the first book, City of Bones a few years back and have been reading the rest of her books as they've come out. I felt rather oblivious, but I didn't even realize it was kinda the same thing as twilight because one of my friends pointed it out to me, I always considered the love aspects to be rather back seat. First it made me a bit put off of the books but then I realized I actually didn't mind too much so I've just kept reading all the books and still say it's well worth the time. Just on the last couple of pages of City of Lost Souls, then I'm back to reading the third book of the Mallorean.

I've seen those books all over the place lately so I finally bought City of Bones. I haven't read it yet, and I still have a bunch of other books ahead in my queue, but I have high hopes :P

Posted Image

As well as the Gatekeeper series by Anthony Horowitz, which I was extremely excited to find out was finally going to have a final book coming out this October.

Really!!!! I can't wait, I read the series as the books were coming out originally and then it just kind of stopped with no new books... Can't wait to finish it off.

Just finished the latest Wheel of Time book. 8 more months till the final part. About time too because the total amount of ages is OVER NINE THOUSAND by now.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

re: 50 shades of grey

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States

Sadface :(

Posted Image

I finished A Prince from the Shadows by J. Curtis Mace. Not a bad fantasy book. Could use some improving but I enjoyed it. (Full review) The author promised me a copy of the second one when he's finished with it! He promised more romance with the main character, so that's a good thing.

Next up is City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I'm hoping to finish it in one sitting tomorrow because I haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's books but I'm going to her book signing/Q&A on Saturday. I'd rather feel at least somewhat prepared :P Going to get like 4 books signed though. If you like her books, stay tuned, because I'll be giving away a signed copy of the newest book, City of Lost Souls.

Posted Image

Borges - Fictions.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau