What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

I've made a start on Game of Thrones, after reading a few Grimm's fairytales. Not quite hit the point where you get into the action yet, only just starting to hit the 2nd visits to narrators so I've been going a bit slow.

I hope you like it. I personally feel like the only person in the world who doesn't love the books :/ I read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and got halfway through A Storm of Swords before giving up. I LOVE the overall story of a kingdom at war, people wanting the throne, dragons, etc., but I felt like the whole story moved way too slowly for me and there were too many characters I didn't care about whose chapters I had to read. :( Then when I'd finally get to a character I love, I'd feel like nothing happened in their chapter.

I hope you like it more than I do.

It helped me that I read the Inheritance cycle of books before going into this series. Inheritance cycle has writing not comparable to this and uses the same format. Personally though my favorite part was trying to work with the chapters and see how Arya's was going to affect Sansa or some such.

I've made a start on Game of Thrones, after reading a few Grimm's fairytales. Not quite hit the point where you get into the action yet, only just starting to hit the 2nd visits to narrators so I've been going a bit slow.

I hope you like it. I personally feel like the only person in the world who doesn't love the books :/ I read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and got halfway through A Storm of Swords before giving up. I LOVE the overall story of a kingdom at war, people wanting the throne, dragons, etc., but I felt like the whole story moved way too slowly for me and there were too many characters I didn't care about whose chapters I had to read. :( Then when I'd finally get to a character I love, I'd feel like nothing happened in their chapter.

I hope you like it more than I do.

It helped me that I read the Inheritance cycle of books before going into this series. Inheritance cycle has writing not comparable to this and uses the same format. Personally though my favorite part was trying to work with the chapters and see how Arya's was going to affect Sansa or some such.

I like it so far, and I should be ok I've read and written things in similar styles before and the ones I've read have usually been from my degree so they are much more tedious than anything I read by choice.

In other news I am an officially qualified literary snob as of today with my 2.1 Ba hons English Literature and Creative Writing being awarded. WOOP.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Just finished "Brothers to the Death" by Darren Shan; really liked it, but like every final book he's written for his series', it seems like he rushed it :unsure:

On to reading "The Enchantress" by Michael Scott; loved his books in this series so far! So captivating for me!

Just realised, both of them are Irish authors :lol:

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Cinder by Marissa Meyer - AMAAAAAZING book. It's Cinderella retelling meets cyborg meets futuristic world meets plague meets politics. Super amazing. One of my favourite books so far this year.

I also just got an advanced copy of Innocent Darkness, which I'm kind of psyched to read. It has gotten mixed reviews but it's a cool steampunk fairy tale novel - interesting combination! I'm also going to the author's signing in August so it's nice to have a chance to read the book before then. I kind of hate going to signings when I haven't read the book since it makes me feel out of the loop :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Has anyone read Gone Girl? I keep see it pop up all over the place, and was wondering if it's actually any good?

I have a copy waiting to be read. My sister just finished reading it and said it was amazing.. some really crazy stuff happened near the end (so she says). I've read some great reviews and it's one of the top books right now I think. At least I saw it in a "Best selling" section at a bookstore as I was passing by :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Just finished Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear. I would NOT recommend this book. It had some potential but none of it came through and the story got progressively worse, and the main character got ridiculous. Too bad, because the author is coming to my town and I was planning on preordering the book and going to her signing. But then I got a free review copy and I'm canceling my preorder and not going to the signing :/

About to start Partials by Dan Wells. This book has gotten good ratings so I have high hopes. :) I'll also be meeting the author in a few weeks! So I need to finish it before then! :P

Posted Image

During the week I read Snow White and the Huntsman's tie in novel...it was crap. The ending was rushed, the plot just sort of died and the ending...ick. Reminds me of all the bad video game tie ins for films. Do not recommend.

Reading a book called Bite now. Its like a big old fact file for vampires, which is interesting to me, because I like myths and old stories.

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

During the week I read Snow White and the Huntsman's tie in novel...it was crap. The ending was rushed, the plot just sort of died and the ending...ick. Reminds me of all the bad video game tie ins for films. Do not recommend.

Have you seen the movie too? Just wondering because I had some similar thoughts about the movie and I'm wondering how closely they follow each other. For example, in the movie they spend the entire time building up a love triangle, but at the end there is no resolution. She never picks a guy and the whole thing is just really unclear and was a major let down.

Posted Image

Reading Il Gattopardo by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. Poignant, very well written, and a wonderfully flawed protagonist.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Building up more of a to-read list since getting onto goodreads =X

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I know exactly what you mean :P Although I actually do things slightly differently from most Goodreads users. I use the to-read list for books that I own but haven't read yet. And then I have a separate shelf for books that I *don't* own but want to read. I think most people just group them all under the to-read shelf.

On an AWESOME note, I just won a $75 Amazon gift card so I'm off to buy 8 more books! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Have you seen the movie too? Just wondering because I had some similar thoughts about the movie and I'm wondering how closely they follow each other. For example, in the movie they spend the entire time building up a love triangle, but at the end there is no resolution. She never picks a guy and the whole thing is just really unclear and was a major let down.

Nope, wasn't planning on it either. There isn't a resolution to it, which just screams a sequel to me. Seems like they'll milk the franchise for cash to be honest.

Also I forgot to say I read Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. Dang cliff hangers, got to wait till next feb or so for the next book now :( It gets even better in the second book. Really enjoyed it :)

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Nope, wasn't planning on it either. There isn't a resolution to it, which just screams a sequel to me. Seems like they'll milk the franchise for cash to be honest.

Also I forgot to say I read Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. Dang cliff hangers, got to wait till next feb or so for the next book now :( It gets even better in the second book. Really enjoyed it :)

Ohh I literally just ordered Delirium! :mrgreen: Can't wait to read it!

Posted Image

I'm working on God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by the late Christopher Hitchens. Very engaging and by far the best book I've picked up in a long time.

etecoon.png

I know exactly what you mean :P Although I actually do things slightly differently from most Goodreads users. I use the to-read list for books that I own but haven't read yet. And then I have a separate shelf for books that I *don't* own but want to read. I think most people just group them all under the to-read shelf.

On an AWESOME note, I just won a Amazon gift card so I'm off to buy 8 more books! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I cba with making extra shelves, I mean I've plugged in over 100 books already and that's just a fraction of the books I've actually read that I want to plug in to get recommendations up and running good.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I actually read three+ books at a time depending on where I am.

Home: The feed trilogy by Mira Grant. It's a cheap zombie thriller set in the 2040s about a small news blog team who gets drug into a conspiracy plot. I've read the first two books before and I'm rereading them because the finale came out and I would be a little lost without a refresher.

Phone: I'm reading the 2nd book in the Amoral Bridge chronicles called "The Know Circuit". It's Ok. The series was an online serial novel and it seems self published, so there are issues that jar you out of the story.

Work: When I have a couple minuets of break because a script is running, I read a paragraph or two of a story. Right now, I'm on Metamorphosis by Kafka. I haven't gotten very far in it yet, but it's looking like it'll be a good book/story.

~M

On an AWESOME note, I just won a Amazon gift card so I'm off to buy 8 more books! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I cba with making extra shelves, I mean I've plugged in over 100 books already and that's just a fraction of the books I've actually read that I want to plug in to get recommendations up and running good.

I'm obsessed with keeping things organized and documenting my first edition/signed books, so I have several extra shelves :P

Posted Image

Partials by Dan Wells was OH MY GOD FREAKIN' AMAZING. If you like dystopian books about viruses/human-like robots/must-save-the-world kind of thing then you will ADORE this book. It's like end of the world, end of humanity, must try to save everything kind of deal. And it was amazing. It kind of reminds me of a combination of iRobot and I Am Legend. Anyway, I'm super psyched to be meeting the author on the 10th! *fangirl scream*

Now I'm reading Osric's Wand: The Wand-Maker's Debate by Jack D. Albrecht and Ashley Delay. This is a really interesting book if you're into Eragon-like stuff. Fantasy world, magic, dragons, and so on. Plus it has a purdy cover :P

Posted Image

I'm working on God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by the late Christopher Hitchens. Very engaging and by far the best book I've picked up in a long time.

I quite like Hitchens, but I warn you against taking him too seriosly - he's very entertaining, but lacks any real rigour beyond the largely historical angle he takes (if I remember, that is - it's been 5 years since I read the book). I agree with his views, but I really don't think he was a serious man - more of a verbose agitator.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Finished reading Greg Keyes' The Infernal City, which is based on the Elder Scrolls game series. Now I'm reading the next book in his series, Lord of Souls.

I really liked The Infernal City, so I'm hoping Lord of Souls will be as good. It was very interesting reading about Dunmer and Oblivion gates and alchemy ingredients and stuff. Plus it was just overall an enjoyable read.

NERD BOOKS FTW!

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Bit late posting, but read Return to Canifis and Legacy of blood as soon as I got them. Managed to get LoB a few days early due to having a Kindle, and I don't think I stopped reading it until I was done. If it is the last one in the series I'll be slightly annoyed. Too many unfinished plot things.

[hide=SPOILER] At least they killed Sulla off, but I have the feeling the swiftness of his death means something will magically bring him back to life. And it had a bit too much romance compared to the others, but I think I'll live. :lol:[/hide]

Also, debating buying the first on my Kindle to complete the set, I have an authour signed hardback already though. :unsure:

Edit: Zomg. Open Kindle store: New Artemis Fowl book. Downloaddownloaddownload.

It's the last in the series. :sad:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]