What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Edit: @Tripsis: How'd the book signing go? :-D

There was an awesome Q&A and I did get my books signed but it was soooo poorly organized! To compare, the last book signing I went to was George R.R. Martin's. That one had like twice as many people but took half as long to get through the book signing. Martin was super organized. People had to have their books open to the correct page, you couldn't chat with him for ages, and there was a limit on the books you can get signed. So even though I was like at the back of that line, I was waiting less than an hour. But at Clare's.... I was about halfway down the line and we were waiting in line for about 2 hours. People would go up with 7 books and then stand there and chat to her for 10 minutes.

So it was a bit frustrating but it was still great and I'm super glad I got to go :P

city-of-bones-signed.jpgcity-of-lost-souls-signed.jpgclockwork-angel-signed.jpg

Plus I got another City of Lost Souls signed, not signed to anyone so I can give it away :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Awesome! :D Yeah, at the Tamora Pierce signing I went to a couple of years ago, the people at the bookstore gave everyone a stickie note, and we all had to write our name out on it and stick it to a certain page, that way Tamora could just breeze through them as she went along. (Although to be fair... I did have her sign 7 books of mine. But I did 4, and then waited in line again for another hour to have her do the last 3.)

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Finished with Borges' Ficciones, moved on to his Selected Poems (using a dual-language text to teach myself Spanish at the same time).

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Finished Nocturnal. Surprisingly, having loved Scott Sigler's last three novels, I wouldn't recommend Nocturnal to anyone. Don't ever plan on reading it again.

Started reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. There are only a few points that are annoying me so far, but hopefully those just take place in the beginning and won't persist throughout the book.

123756124.JPG

:thumbup:

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I've just finished reading Between by Jessica Warman. It was pretty good :) If you like The Lovely Bones then you may like this too, its similar in a few ways. Starting Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver today.

Also, @the library creating site things (I haven't looked at them much yet), they look awesome! I was going to make a long list of all my books, but now I'll use one of those sites :thumbup: Should save me some time. No idea how many books I own though, should be interesting.

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Since the weather's been decent (unusually so), I've been reading some of the books I've been putting off. Read a bit more Machiavelli's Discourses on Titus Levy, and as I'm learning French, I've got some French books. The most obvious of which is Le Petit Prince... But I'm halfway through a parallel text book (short stories with the left page in French and right page in English, which is great for learning extra vocabulary, and sentence structure), and have 'Un sac de billes' (A Bag of Marbles) by Joseph Joffo and 'Quinze Minutes' by Charles Dickinson.

As I'm heading off to Paris next weekend for two weeks, I'm going to be buying some French literature, so far I have only managed to think of 'The classics' (Les Misérables, Les Trois Mousquetaires, Le comte de Monte-Cristo etc.), as well as books such as those by 'Fred Vargas' e.g. Pars Vite et Reviens Tard (English: Have Mercy on us All)

If anyone has any suggestions on quality books, I would be highly appreciative!

Oráculo manual y arte de prudencia by Baltasar Gracián.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Lost a dare with a friend, am reading Snooki book. WTF AM I READIN OLAWQW#JRDF

I feel sorry for you. Did you have to buy the book too?

Yeah, I had to. But if I legitimately read to the end she upholds her half of the dare, which is a tad naughty ;)

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

Lost a dare with a friend, am reading Snooki book. WTF AM I READIN OLAWQW#JRDF

I feel sorry for you. Did you have to buy the book too?

Yeah, I had to. But if I legitimately read to the end she upholds her half of the dare, which is a tad naughty ;)

ha, sounds like you don't have much to loss then. :thumbup:

tFtfA.jpg

I am reading Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets lol, I am probably a little old for it but oh well.

I reread Harry Potter all the time! :P You can never get tired of it or too old for it tbh.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Last thing I read was the Hunger Games series. It was good, until it became total shit. Aka pretty much the whole last book. It's like the author decided to throw every bit of plot and character development the first two books had established out and replace it with... well something awful.

But yeah, I liked most of the first two books, except it had some parts that I found unnecessarily "Twilight-y" for a lack of a better descriptive phrase.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Edit: @Tripsis: How'd the book signing go? :-D

There was an awesome Q&A and I did get my books signed but it was soooo poorly organized! To compare, the last book signing I went to was George R.R. Martin's. That one had like twice as many people but took half as long to get through the book signing. Martin was super organized. People had to have their books open to the correct page, you couldn't chat with him for ages, and there was a limit on the books you can get signed. So even though I was like at the back of that line, I was waiting less than an hour. But at Clare's.... I was about halfway down the line and we were waiting in line for about 2 hours. People would go up with 7 books and then stand there and chat to her for 10 minutes.

So it was a bit frustrating but it was still great and I'm super glad I got to go :P

city-of-bones-signed.jpgcity-of-lost-souls-signed.jpgclockwork-angel-signed.jpg

Plus I got another City of Lost Souls signed, not signed to anyone so I can give it away :)

Whoa, I didn't know both those series were written by the same author. I have read both of them, and I enjoyed the city of bones one more, but clockwork angel (or whatever the second one of that series was) was incredible. The First was great too, as was the third, but the third almost got out of hand. It almost reminded me of some sort of crazy story a child would tell where they just keep piling everything they think is awesome. Still a great series, but wow, the third book was like all the stops out.

Started reading Inheratance finally. Got a 100 some off pages in; took about 2 hours, maybe a bit more, so aside from being a huge book, its slower to read than my last series on a per page basis (I was at pretty much exactly 1 minute per page for hunger games). Not that I mind. It's an epic story and I want it to last for as long as possible.

Started reading Hilary Devey's Autobiography last night and got through a whole third of it. I love it so far, I think mainly because while I knew she came from Bolton it turns out she actually came from my area of Bolton and some of the places she's talking about I actually recognise or at least can guess whereabouts it was. She also went to my primary school at one point! I like her style, though, and her personality. I don't think it'll take me long to finish. I just have to decide what to read next - perhaps another autobiography.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Whoa, I didn't know both those series were written by the same author. I have read both of them, and I enjoyed the city of bones one more, but clockwork angel (or whatever the second one of that series was) was incredible. The First was great too, as was the third, but the third almost got out of hand. It almost reminded me of some sort of crazy story a child would tell where they just keep piling everything they think is awesome. Still a great series, but wow, the third book was like all the stops out.

Started reading Inheratance finally. Got a 100 some off pages in; took about 2 hours, maybe a bit more, so aside from being a huge book, its slower to read than my last series on a per page basis (I was at pretty much exactly 1 minute per page for hunger games). Not that I mind. It's an epic story and I want it to last for as long as possible.

Yeah it's actually pretty interesting how she's doing it. Most authors write an entire series and then they'd go back and start another series (in this case, a 'prologue' series). But Cassandra Clare is alternating between them. She writes one book from one series and then jumps to the other one and writes a book there, etc. Kind of cool :P

Posted Image

Yeah it's actually pretty interesting how she's doing it. Most authors write an entire series and then they'd go back and start another series (in this case, a 'prologue' series). But Cassandra Clare is alternating between them. She writes one book from one series and then jumps to the other one and writes a book there, etc. Kind of cool :P

Heh, if I were an author, I might do the same thing. I can never choose between fantasy and sci fi for my stories, and the sort of stories I would wright would be too balanced to try and pull a Garth Nix/Sabriel and have both in the same book. I'd also probably be more inlinced to write super long short stories (or maybe novellas) than I would be to write full novels. I alternate between what interests me too quickly.

Heh, if I were an author, I might do the same thing. I can never choose between fantasy and sci fi for my stories, and the sort of stories I would wright would be too balanced to try and pull a Garth Nix/Sabriel and have both in the same book. I'd also probably be more inlinced to write super long short stories (or maybe novellas) than I would be to write full novels. I alternate between what interests me too quickly.

Yeah her explanation actually made so much sense. She said that by the time she finishes writing one book in one series, she's soooo sick of the characters and the 'world,' and she's had so much time to think up great ideas for the *other* series. So it seems like alternating is a great thing. :)

Posted Image

11.22.63, by Stephen King. I really like Stephen King books. I could read about strange things happening in small towns for aaaages, the horror aspect isn't even the most important part. Which is good because Stephen King doesn't really do horror very well, I think.

It was pretty great, it even had a decent ending, if predictable, which is a pretty rare thing in Stephen King stories.

Up next, The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Finally finished City of Bones :P I don't get as much reading done when my boyfriend is here :mrgreen: I really enjoyed it though. Had a few issues with the 'love triangle,' but still enjoyed the book. But I'm thinking of holding off on the rest of the series for a few weeks just because there are like 4 other books to read in the series, but I have like 20+ books outside of the series left to read and I want to get some of them done first. Thinking of starting Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini next.

Posted Image