What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

After the first book, there are hardly any similarities between the show and the book. And the ones that are there are only vaguely similar.

~M

I'm currently reading Ashfall by Mike Mullin.

Under the bubbling hot springs and geysers of Yellowstone National Park is a supervolcano. Most people don't know it's there. The caldera is so large that it can only be seen from a plane or satellite. It just could be overdue for an eruption, which would change the landscape and climate of our planet.

Ashfall is the story of Alex, a teenage boy left alone for the weekend while his parents visit relatives. When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts unexpectedly, Alex is determined to reach his parents. He must travel over a hundred miles in a landscape transformed by a foot of ash and the destruction of every modern convenience that he has ever known, and through a new world in which disaster has brought out both the best and worst in people desperate for food, water, and warmth. With a combination of nonstop action, a little romance, and very real science, this is a story that is difficult to stop reading and even more difficult to forget.

Pretty cool. I love post apocalyptic books but this one is particularly interesting since it could very very realistically happen (and most likely will some day, whether that's soon or in a few hundred/thousand years).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I just finished the third book of the Millennium trilogy. It's a shame Stieg Larsson had to have died, I would've loved to have read the rest of the series he had intended to write. Part of that is just me being selfish though at the fact that I now have to find a new series or one-off. :(

I have a few titles in mind, but I haven't really decided what I actually want to read next. I'm thinking I might just walk into the bookstore tomorrow and just kind of surprise myself.

tFtfA.jpg

Reading more short stories by Akutagawa. Green Onions was particularly enjoyable.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Finally finished Game of Thrones and loved it, diving into A Clash of Kings later today.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm SO EXCITED! I'm officially reading my most anticipated book of 2012! Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas!

7896527.jpg

I got a signed copy too! :mrgreen:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Finished Anna Karenina. Didn't like it as much as War and Peace but it was still pretty good.

Up next: Crime and Punishment. I guess I'm going to be in the "19th century russian author" vein for a while...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

^ I'm reading Crime and Punishment right now too, not very far along though. All I can say so far is that it's more accessible than I had imagined.

I agree. I'm about 150 pages in and finding it very good....some of the scenes are very gripping.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

^ Please do tell me what you think of de Maupassant. For some reason, he and a few other Frenchies (Flaubert, Léon Bloy etc) are on my mental 'to read' list but are always relegated to the bottom in favour of others.

Update: still reading Akutagawa, who I would recommend to anyone interest in modernist literature (not in a pretentious Ezra Pound way, either). I've moved on to his autobiographical stories, which included things such as a pathological hatred for those lucky enough to be raised on their mother's milk, rather than that of a cow (the reason being that the adolescent Akutagawa blamed his being fed cow's milk on his oversized head and scrawny body). Very entertaining and psychologically insightful, especially given that he killed himself in his mid thirties.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'm reading the 1000 page thriller, Excel 2010 Bible.

Is it sad that I can't put it down? I'm already 200 pages in and boy, I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Definitely reading this from cover to cover, even though it's mostly a reference book haha. :geek: I thought I was pretty well versed on Excel, but it's very exciting to learn a few basics that will be very useful for work and just leisure editing. Yes, I play around in Excel as a hobby.

I have around another 1,500 pages after this one as well on more Excel stuff. I look forward to diving into VBA.

/nerd moment

As for the last "real" book that I've read, I have no clue. Probably something from the Inheritance quadrilogy over a year ago. :sad:

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

I think I've decided to go with another nordic crime series, after my last read. Right now I'm debating between The Bat (Harry Pole series) by Jo Nesbo or Faceless Killer (Wallander series) by Henning Mankell. I don't know if anyone here has read either book or an anything previously from these authors, but if you have any input it would be appreciated. :)

tFtfA.jpg

I have now put the final nail in the coffin of A Clash of Kings and shall be jumping into A Storm of Swords later tonight.

So glad to be done with that one tbh, the kindle edition (or uk atleast) is bugggggged it says it only has 41 pages so page 41 through to 800-900 odd (dunno how long it truely is) it says all chapters start on page 41 and your always on page 41 irritated me as I'm the kind to glance ahead by chapter to see how many page it is to judge if I can read it now or need a break first.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm finally able to read the books written after Robert Jordan's death in the Wheel of Time series. They're so...sloppy. The writing style is like a man writing a YA novel version of the WoT series. It's getting me so frustrated, especially when he takes "liberties" with character traits that weren't expressly noted in Jordan's dictations. It makes me sad to see it, and I can't help but wonder if maybe they shouldn't have finished it - if it gets much worse, then they certainly shouldn't have. But meh. It's an impossible task Sanderson was faced with, so I guess I shouldn't be so critical. Other similar situations (like with Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana Paxson) struggled with this as well. I just don't remember it being so obvious and separate in quality. @_@

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm finally able to read the books written after Robert Jordan's death in the Wheel of Time series. They're so...sloppy. The writing style is like a man writing a YA novel version of the WoT series. It's getting me so frustrated, especially when he takes "liberties" with character traits that weren't expressly noted in Jordan's dictations. It makes me sad to see it, and I can't help but wonder if maybe they shouldn't have finished it - if it gets much worse, then they certainly shouldn't have. But meh. It's an impossible task Sanderson was faced with, so I guess I shouldn't be so critical. Other similar situations (like with Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana Paxson) struggled with this as well. I just don't remember it being so obvious and separate in quality. @_@

Really? I didn't have issues with that. Yeah, I guess the writing's different and some of the characters changed, but I still loved the books. In fact, book 12 probably has my favourite scene of the whole series.

Posts like yours always make me wonder if I'm a terribly uncritical reader >.>

Same goes for Crossroads of Twilight, which mostly everyone I talk to finds incredibly long drawn and boring and horrible, while I still enjoyed it - maybe not as much as others, but I didn't really get the idea this book was a low point in the series after reading it.