What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

If it's an author like her, with the clout she has, I'm sure she has some control over the price. But yeah, it's mostly the publisher in most cases.

http://business.time.com/2012/09/27/why-j-k-rowlings-new-ebook-is-17-99/

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I know it's up to the publisher to set the price, but I'm sure Rowling/Rowling's agent also have some say in the negotiation process. :-P

Frankly I was just surprised by the price. I knew it would be somewhat expensive, especially given that it's a hardback, but I didn't think it would be as expensive as a Potter book. On the one hand, I'm sure they set a higher price given Rowling's popularity as an author... but on the other hand, it isn't a Potter book and not everyone is going to be so willing to spend so much on a book just because she wrote it.

I didn't even look at the prices of the Potter books when I bought them, I would have thrown any amount of money in to get them... can't say the same for this book. I'll wait another paycheck for it. :-P The price isn't outrageous, a lot of the books I own cost me $25 or more... I just have rent to pay in the next few days. :-P

I went to the bookstore planning on buying it, but sadly had to walk away empty-handed once I saw it was $35!

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

The Great Gatsby. Compulsory reading, but so far I am even enjoying it.

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Slightly off-topic but this may be a good place to ask:

I'm currently working on a magazine project to launch in the new year and am currently trying to compile a list of new/upcoming authors for potential book reviews. Anyone got any good places to look and/or recommendations?

Probably best to PM me if ya do so as to not derail this topic too much.

Anyway on-topic: I'm still getting through Dance with Dragons have to say fair few unexpected twists thus far!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The Reader By Bernhard Schlink

Currently reading it for my English class. Wasn't looking forward to it at all but it's actually a really good book.

They also made a movie based on the book with Kate Winslet, which is also nice.

Really recommend it :D

200 pages left of The Way of Kings, and tomorrow I'll probably pick up The Name of the Wind and/or The Silmarillion, as well as The Maltese Falcon as it's required reading. Assuming they aren't too expensive, of course.

Also tried The King in Yellow, since I have a craving for cosmic horror and it's public domain, only to discover that I have trouble reading something like that on a computer screen.

Just got my hands on (and finished in one day...) Five Patients. I...... am now officially out of Michael Crichton books to both purchase and read. My life is over.

[hide]7681.jpg[/hide]

A very interesting (although just slightly dated) non-fiction book dealing with the United States hospital system. Crichton recounts 5 patients that were treated at Massachusetts General Hospital when he was a medical student there, details some specifics of their cases, and then goes in-depth about what is important (historically, medically) about their case and how things could change in the future. It's interesting to see how the hospital system has changed (or not changed) since he wrote the book.

Would probably be a bit boring for someone not interested in medicine, as there is a lot (a lot) of medical jargon thrown around.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales od H P Lovecraft

Was an avid fan of the roleplaying game back in the 90's... but being young and lacking in patience I found the short stories and novellettes a chore to get through. Now that I'm older and going a bit grey, I thought I'd buy the book and give it a go. Is pretty good to be fair :D

bOT8c.png

It's about a young woman who gets sexually involved with a rich older man.

So like 50 shades of grey?

I bought that book a few weeks ago, but I haven't read it yet.

Since I am meant to be doing college work I am now reading the The Sword of Truth book series, it's 7,985 pages. Safe to say I won't be doing much college until that's finished. I am a little less than half way through the first book and it is very good.

howlin1eeveesig.png

I just finished Ashen Winter - the second book in a series about what happens when the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts. It was okay, but not as good as the first book.

I'm really struggling with which book to read next. I might read Ten just because it's appropriate for Halloween.

11958033.jpg

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

so I just dumped the first book in the non-canon Foundation 2 series, not written by Isaac Asimov. It was god awful, horrible, horribly written. Poor plot and the characters were entirely different from canon. Can't believe I wasted so much time on it waiting for it to get good.

taking a break from sci fi now, reading Moab is my Washpot.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

"Under the Net" by Iris Murdoch. It's quite brilliant and funny. It's about a lazy writer who gets kicked out by his girlfriend and consequently experiences fantastic and quite ridiculous adventures as he looks for a new place to bum around.