What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Currently reading Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. Supposedly a "Japanese Steampunk novel with mythic creatures, civil unrest, and a strong female protagonist." Sounds like it should be awesome and I hope it is :P (I'm only 32 pages in).

13538816.jpg

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I just finished Graveminder by Melissa Marr, was pretty good. Took a little getting used to structure wise, but its a good read.

I'm totally excited about her upcoming book Carnival of Souls!!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Just finished 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. I'm now attempting Anna Karenina.

We'll sneak out while they sleep

And sail off in the night.

We'll come clean and start over the rest of our lives.

When we're gone, we'll stay gone.

Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not too late,

We have the rest of our lives.

I just finished Graveminder by Melissa Marr, was pretty good. Took a little getting used to structure wise, but its a good read.

I'm totally excited about her upcoming book Carnival of Souls!!

I just read up about that, it does sound pretty good! I'll have to add it to my wanted list :D

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Very Good, Jeeves. As usual with Wodehouse, brilliantly funny and a delight to read.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'm still picking my way through the Game of Thrones.

Enjoying it but finding it a slow read + not really reading much in general past couple of weeks. Like 20% through (thank you kindle for telling me) just reached the point where Bran wakes up and Cersei has Lady killed since Nymeria is mia.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Finished both The Left Hand of God and The Last Four Things, by Paul Hoffman. Pretty interesting alternate-history/fantasy books. The style of writing can get pretty grating at times but the concept is good and there are at least a couple of subtle historical/philosophical references that I picked up on, and probably a whole bunch more that I didn't.

I also bought The Long Earth, a collab between Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Haven't read anything about it but I have high hopes. :v

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - definitely enjoyed it and I started the next one the other day :) I get a more or less an hour a day now to read going to and from work, it's nice to get back into reading again.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Picked up and begun reading Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye. Was intending to pick up Oryx and Crake but our library never has it in stock.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Finished The Return of the King today. And I remember why I was so glad Peter Jackson left out the whole Scourging of the Shire from the movie. I've gotta say, that was pretty boring stuff to read through again. After such an epic journey, they come back and have to deal with some ruffians and save the Shire now?

There were parts that I enjoyed, but overall, I like it how Peter Jackson simply made the movie end with them arriving back in the Shire, which hasn't changed much at all since they left. Kinda reinforces the hobbit way; hobbits don't involve themselves with the rest of Middle Earth, save for Bilbo's journey and then the journey of the Ring. It holds a lot of significance I think to have the Shire still unaware of what happened.

Anyway, I think I'll move on to the conclusion of the Ender Quartet, Children of the Mind, by Orson Scott Card. Should be very good, as I've enjoyed the three previous books.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

They both have their 'goods' and 'bads'. As always, movies are able to lengthen emotional parts where no words can really describe what's going on (of course, Tolkien always is very eloquent with his words). For example, the Grey Havens: the parting was probably less than a page in the book, but during the movie, it seemed so much longer and so much more powerful simply because all the hobbits are so distressed at Frodo's parting. I always tear up during that part.

That's just one example. Also, the way Jackson simplified certain parts of the movie (such as Eowyn and Faramir's relationship) was advantageous in my view. It made the relationship seem much simpler and more pure (even so, the simplification causes a whole dimension of the relationship to be lost).

But then again, the book holds many more events and small snippets than the movies, which in some cases is unfortunate (i.e. Tom Bombadil).

I can comfortably say that the Lord of the Rings as a combination of film and books is my favorite of all time. Now let's hope The Hobbit is up to par with the LOTR movies!!!

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

I guess I'm honestly just not a huge fan of Tolkien's writing style. It kind of bores me. D: I enjoyed The Hobbit, which has a very different writing style, but not LotR. And I found LotR to be really lacking in emotion. Like Arwen and Aragorn's relationship practically doesn't exist in the books (it's described outside of the trilogy). But I loved that addition in the movies. And in general, the stories are extremely action packed and I felt like the films do a better job of doing that justice.

Anyway.

I'm currently reading False Memory by Dan Krokos.

10194494.jpg

I'm loving it so far! Really cool story about genetically altered teenage government experiments/fighters :D

Posted Image

I've already reached my book goal for the year. I was aiming at 52 and I'm a day or two away from 54.

I'm finishing up the Dexter series and will be starting on The_Menstruating_Mall once I do.

It'll be my first book in the bizarro genre, and it looks good.

~M

Ohh Dexter. :P I was going to read those but never finished XD I read the first one and kind of stopped there. I liked them, but I think the fact that it was exactly the same as the TV show (so there were no surprises) turned me off.

Posted Image