What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

I always struggled to derive enjoyment from Huck Finn - do tell if Sawyer is any better.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Goodreads has turned out to be a good and bad thing for me :P It's good because it's got me reading again! I set myself a target of 30 books this year and I'm 6 behind so I need to catch up. It's certainly a possible task since when I start work I'll be reading on the bus. But it's also bad because it's got me buying Kindle books from Amazon and it's really hit me how easy it is... it's turning into a new Steam and just eating up my money. To be fair, I used to spend money on books every week when I was younger but I also went to the library a lot - something I can't, but would like to, do with my Kindle :(

I also bought a book from an author I've never read, I liked it and found out there's 3 other books in the series so looks like I'm reading them for the moment. I don't tend to read particularly difficult books, things in the vein of Jodi Picoult are common, but I can plough through them fast :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Goodreads has turned out to be a good and bad thing for me :P It's good because it's got me reading again! I set myself a target of 30 books this year and I'm 6 behind so I need to catch up. It's certainly a possible task since when I start work I'll be reading on the bus. But it's also bad because it's got me buying Kindle books from Amazon and it's really hit me how easy it is... it's turning into a new Steam and just eating up my money. To be fair, I used to spend money on books every week when I was younger but I also went to the library a lot - something I can't, but would like to, do with my Kindle :(

Be sure to check out the free Amazon Kindle books :) They constantly have a list of "top 100 paid" and "top 100 free" Kindle books on the Kindle section of their website. Just download some free ones! :D There are a lot of great finds in there.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm looking forward to getting home to mum's in a few weeks, treated myself to a kindle for finishing my degree so I can afford to read more (since kindle books are cheaper in general which aids in willingness to give things a try). I've preloaded it with the complete (original) Sherlock Holmes, The Picture of Dorian Grey, The complete 200 odd Grimms Fairytales, The hunger games triology, the first 4 discworld novels and the 5 current a song of fire and ice novels (game of thrones).

Just a little something to get me started over summer!

I think I need to figure out a goal of books to read a year, but it's hard to judge. I know I can read 2-3 novels a week, but that can be difficult and is very much subject to enjoyment of the book.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Just finished Anthem, by Ayn Rand, and Oedipus Rex by Sophocles yesterday. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, yet, but my new Ipod Touch has the Ibooks app and I can get practically any classic for free... decisions, decisions...

Reading New Spring right now, despite being a massive fan of the entire wheel of time series had never found a copy to read/got around to it before.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I'm reading Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. It's okay, but I had higher hopes for it tbh :(

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

I read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire over the past two days. Starting Mockingjay now.

By far the best trilogy I've read in ages, even with Catching Fire sort of duplicating much of The Hunger Games it is captivating and some how greater than the first and the twists, emotions and action seem so well balanced and intertwined you truly get caught up in it and find your heart racing through the fights and the emotions and often kicking yourself you missed the obvious plan (Thought I must admit I spotted the final twist of Catching Fire early on).

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire over the past two days. Starting Mockingjay now.

By far the best trilogy I've read in ages, even with Catching Fire sort of duplicating much of The Hunger Games it is captivating and some how greater than the first and the twists, emotions and action seem so well balanced and intertwined you truly get caught up in it and find your heart racing through the fights and the emotions and often kicking yourself you missed the obvious plan (Thought I must admit I spotted the final twist of Catching Fire early on).

Yeah The Hunger Games is pretty great. I wasn't really crazy about the last one though..

[hide=Spoilers.. kind of]I wanted some sort of epic confrontation/battle.. but I felt like all the "battles" were won via propaganda and I thought that was pretty lame. I didn't like that they even called it "propaganda." They were literally just putting on an act for the television to gain followers. To me that was a lot less epic than going out there, giving unscripted speeches, and having actual intense battles. I definitely would have preferred that route.[/hide]

I finished Starcrossed. I was pretty disappointed. You can read my review here if you want. I also got a million new books! You can check them all out here. It took me a while to pick which one I wanted to read next but I settled on The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. It's supposed to be an epic vampire story :D

Posted Image

Yeah The Hunger Games is pretty great. I wasn't really crazy about the last one though..

[hide=Spoilers.. kind of]I wanted some sort of epic confrontation/battle.. but I felt like all the "battles" were won via propaganda and I thought that was pretty lame. I didn't like that they even called it "propaganda." They were literally just putting on an act for the television to gain followers. To me that was a lot less epic than going out there, giving unscripted speeches, and having actual intense battles. I definitely would have preferred that route.[/hide]

I finished Starcrossed. I was pretty disappointed. You can read my review here if you want. I also got a million new books! You can check them all out here. It took me a while to pick which one I wanted to read next but I settled on The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. It's supposed to be an epic vampire story :D

I liked the third one the most

big spoilers

[hide]

Up to a point, I quite liked the series and it was great to read, but it was nothing extraordinary either. Above average but nothing more. But what I loved was the time after Katniss's sister died. I just think the way Suzanne Collins captured her trauma was intense. Okay, I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for psychoses and the like, but I think that was really top-notch writing.

[/hide]

Anyone here read any of the Fablehaven series? Along that anyone read much Cussler?

Also since it is the currently reading thread I'll mention that I'm currently reading Crescent Dawn by Clive Cussler.

I finished The Immortal Rules. It was amazing! If you like vampire and virus stories, definitely pick it up! It's really fresh and interesting.

Now I'm reading Of Poseidon by Anna Banks.

Posted Image

Hmm. Currently reading four books in three different languages:

In de Ban van de Ring, (LotR in Dutch.) Húrins Barn (Children of Húrin in Norwegina), The Hobbit, and LotR in English.

Whenever I take a break from those books it's The Black God (Den Svarte Guden) in Norwegian.

And sometimes there are the odd bits from Heksemesteren, Sagaen om Isfolket and from Neil Gaiman. Guess I should broaden my book-horizon a bit... o.O

I finished Of Poseidon. It's an awesome mermaid book if you're into that :P It was the first mermaid book I'd ever read actually. I enjoyed it a lot! It ended on a crazy cliffhanger so I'm dying to read book 2 (which isn't out yet) :P

Now I'm reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth. If you're into dystopian books YOU HAVE TO READ THE DIVERGENT SERIES! Book #1 is Divergent and book #2 is Insurgent. These books are seriously amazing and they're the hot new thing in the YA/dystopian book world!

On another note, I bought a Kindle. Part of me feels like I'm on the dark side now. I really prefer print books because I'm not just a reader - I'm a collector. I like having a huge book shelf, my first editions, my signed books, etc. You can't have any of that with a Kindle. But I've been reading a lot of e-ARCs and getting a lot of free eBooks from authors/Amazon, and I feel like a Kindle is kind of necessary at this point. I'd been using my computer and Kinde/Adobe apps to read these books but it's really starting to be a PITA. So... yeah... I've crossed over. I'll still mostly be buying print books though! :P

Posted Image

Tbh I think Kindle + collecting is good.

Kindle size and cheaper books (mostly) means you can try more out and get more reading done like breaks n stuff.

And you still have the option to grab hardcopies of books you really loved.

To me Kindle is good as it means books don;t pose such a large issue when moving house pre-25 (when you can rent a van assuming you had a few years of driving under ur belt)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Tbh I think Kindle + collecting is good.

Kindle size and cheaper books (mostly) means you can try more out and get more reading done like breaks n stuff.

And you still have the option to grab hardcopies of books you really loved.

To me Kindle is good as it means books don;t pose such a large issue when moving house pre-25 (when you can rent a van assuming you had a few years of driving under ur belt)

Yeah I definitely do understand the benefits of a Kindle. It's great for travelling and reading books you might enjoy, but that you're not Z0MG CRAZY about. But I do think it's ridiculous how some eBooks aren't that cheap. For example, I've seen a few that are priced at $11 for hardcover and $10 for Kindle. That's just silly. But there are a lot of great Kindle eBooks deals from $0 - $6.99 or so that are awesome.

Posted Image

I ended up giving up on the book I said I was going to read on my last post, and instead started Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It was amazing! I'm starting the second book now, I hope its just as good :thumbsup:

Ohh awesome! I've heard great things about both books but haven't read them yet :) Enjoy!

Posted Image

I've made a start on Game of Thrones, after reading a few Grimm's fairytales. Not quite hit the point where you get into the action yet, only just starting to hit the 2nd visits to narrators so I've been going a bit slow.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I've made a start on Game of Thrones, after reading a few Grimm's fairytales. Not quite hit the point where you get into the action yet, only just starting to hit the 2nd visits to narrators so I've been going a bit slow.

I hope you like it. I personally feel like the only person in the world who doesn't love the books :/ I read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and got halfway through A Storm of Swords before giving up. I LOVE the overall story of a kingdom at war, people wanting the throne, dragons, etc., but I felt like the whole story moved way too slowly for me and there were too many characters I didn't care about whose chapters I had to read. :( Then when I'd finally get to a character I love, I'd feel like nothing happened in their chapter.

I hope you like it more than I do.

Posted Image