What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

SuperFreakonomics. I like the way it has been written.

I've never read the Freakonomics books, how would you describe them? Is it pretty simple reading or something really profound?

It's written in a prose that could be understood by the common folk, not just students of Economics. In other words, the lack of esoteric language makes it an easy read for the masses.

There's a lot of tongue in cheek humour, especially in the metaphors they use, and it goes about illustrating their points without the mundane repetition that exists in far too many books. You could also argue that it gives you a different perspective by viewing Economics as a process as opposed to an academic discipline.

It introduces you to Economics through a discussion about patriotic prostitutes, suicide bombers, and 'global cooling'. I believe, since it's an international bestseller, that you can pick one up at the library. It may or may not appeal to you, but I know that it appeals to me.

SuperFreakonomics. I like the way it has been written.

I've never read the Freakonomics books, how would you describe them? Is it pretty simple reading or something really profound?

It's written in a prose that could be understood by the common folk, not just students of Economics. In other words, the lack of esoteric language makes it an easy read for the masses.

There's a lot of tongue in cheek humour, especially in the metaphors they use, and it goes about illustrating their points without the mundane repetition that exists in far too many books. You could also argue that it gives you a different perspective by viewing Economics as a process as opposed to an academic discipline.

It introduces you to Economics through a discussion about patriotic prostitutes, suicide bombers, and 'global cooling'. I believe, since it's an international bestseller, that you can pick one up at the library. It may or may not appeal to you, but I know that it appeals to me.

All right, so it isn't what I thought it was. I'll probably end up reading it anyway. Thanks for the help!

I have the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy from a friend for about a month now, and I really should start reading it already. I've heard very good things about it so I look forward to it. :)

alazsig.png

I have the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy from a friend for about a month now, and I really should start reading it already. I've heard very good things about it so I look forward to it. :)

It's really good. I didn't expect much but it's awesome. :)

Reading Ptolemy's Gate at the moment. The other books in the trilogy were entertaining, so this should be pretty good. :D

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

It's about 50/50 with the action and the teenage girl fanservice. If you ignore the parts that endlessly describe irrelevant details then the book is actually quite good in itself. Catching Fire isn't as good because of a greater amount of the fanservice, but I thought it was decent. I haven't read the third book but plan to.

I just finished reading The Arab Uprisings: What Everyone Needs to Know by Gelvin. He's probably the most impartial American scholar on the Middle East. I didn't learn anything substantial from this particular book, but it was refreshing as it was essentially a concise summary of all events necessary to understand the current status of the Middle East. This book was also extremely up-to-date, as I'm pretty sure it was released this month.

Now I'd like to focus on finishing Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room which I never finished. It's an interesting read about the events of the Enron scandal.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Recently finished reading Winning Through Intimidation

Currently reading The E-Myth Revisited

I take it your into books about business, human understanding and sociology?

Self-help books are the only books that don't put me to sleep lol.

But those two books are both about business since I'm going to start my own business after I graduate. Independent studying > college, as far as business goes.

77yLQy8.png

It's about 50/50 with the action and the teenage girl fanservice. If you ignore the parts that endlessly describe irrelevant details then the book is actually quite good in itself. Catching Fire isn't as good because of a greater amount of the fanservice, but I thought it was decent. I haven't read the third book but plan to.

Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind. :thumbup:

alazsig.png

Reading Ptolemy's Gate at the moment. The other books in the trilogy were entertaining, so this should be pretty good. :D

I really enjoyed the Bartimaus Trilogy. A unique approach to 'magic', and I really like the way the books themselves are written, with different styles for the characters (or at least for Bartimaus). Part novel, part one of the charecters talking to you.

Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind. :thumbup:

You could always just read Battle Royale. 100% action.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I recently got a kindle, now looking for a book to buy, any suggestions? Should be a single book, no series please. Preferably Fantasy but open to suggestions :)

Trying to think of good single books I have read.

I don't think I have ever read a standalone Fantasy. The closest I can get you is a standalone as part of a, I guess meta series (like the forgotten realms, or dragonlance, which are both collections of books and series based in specific D&D settings). In this case, the Diablo novel (warcraft, starcraft, and Diablo all have their own collections) Legacy of Blood, which is standalone, as is Moon of the Spider. Both great books, though I favor the former. Their also both by Richard A. Knaak. Richard has written many of the Dragonlance, Dragonrealm, Diablo and Warcraft books.

Reading Game Of Thrones again. Such a good series. :thumbup:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Currently reading 'Discourses of Livy' by Machiavelli.

Absolutely amazing book! If you've not read it already, I strongly recommend reading The Prince afterwards. Both juxtapose one another quite nicely.

I know this reply is late, but since I never checked for one, I may as well reply to it now.

I have indeed read 'The Prince'. I can see why it annoys people to read it, and I can happily understand why, but moving away from the contemporary readings as a satire, it can easily be described. It is not that Machiavelli suggests that this is what a Prince should do, merely what they do actually do.

And yes, it was fascinating. I haven't continued much with the Discourses at the moment, because I'm trying to improve my French for personal reasons. Will have to pick it up soon.