An Elitist's View on Crashing

TheAncient

So I can either not crash and be unhappy and have some total stranger be happy, or crash and be happy and have the total stranger being unhappy. Which do you think is the logical choice?

The way I see it, if I can't crash, then the person in my spot is being a dbag for taking MY spot. What gives them the right to call it their spot?

I'm with nar on this one. Hacking and glitching aren't within the rules, whereas competition is normal in almost any game. I suppose I should let my gear rot in my bank so a level 112 can be happy that I didn't crash him at TDS?

Violating the rules is being unethical. That doesn't mean everything that the rules totally doesn't forbid IS ethical. Granted that crashing is probably not as severe as hacking or glitching, but point is that if "efficiency" is the only standard for judging actions, then a lot of bad things in the game become justifyable. If "efficiency" was the standard for judging actions in real life, the world would be an incredibly sad place.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violating the rules is being unethical. That doesn't mean everything that the rules totally doesn't forbid IS ethical. Granted that crashing is probably not as severe as hacking or glitching, but point is that if "efficiency" is the only standard for judging actions, then a lot of bad things in the game become justifyable. If "efficiency" was the standard for judging actions in real life, the world would be an incredibly sad place.

Who says it isn't?

Business is all about efficiency. And business is what feeds us, houses us, provides us with basically everything.

Unsurprisingly, business is also pretty cold - sometimes even evil.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The argument is simple: Whoever can utilize a spot to maximum efficiency has the right to monster spawn.

Efficiency is always good for an individual, but not always for a group as a whole.

Dragon hatchets have been steadily falling in price the past 12 months (and took a rather quick jump down at the clue update). If you become so efficient at cutting down trees, before you know it you have cut down the whole forest. The same thing is happening with items like the dragon hatchet where people are killing them to the point they wont be a valuable drop anymore. DK's were never designed to have 60-70+ kills an hour while standing in the center, but now it can be done with ease.

Sometimes you need inefficient people killing something instead of only efficient people to keep drops at the value they should be.

This is an issue that wont be fixed until Jagex releases higher level boss monsters. Not necessarily monsters like corp that hit 500's though prayer, but bosses you can barley stay an hour with a yak, unicorn, overloads and maxed gear.

[hide]

It seems the only real arguments against crashing are as follows:

1.) Its rude

2.) First come, first serve.

Both of which I think are rather naive positions to take.

I am finding it hard to source any actual arguments pro-crashing? Other than the repetition of 'better gear, higher levels = god given right' which is cynical. Furthermore I find it interesting the lengths people go to defend their perfectly reasonable act of crashing. :thumbsup:

Of course, maxed players have earned the right to act like an @ssh0les by sitting at their computer longer than u have, didn't u know? The right to be an d-bag must be earned, not inherently given, that is the way of a lvl 138. lern2be max3d nub.

Crashing stops you from wasting time finding worlds and gets someone to tank damage and deal some damage.

Glitching and hacking accounts would make a lot of things more efficient too, does that mean i should do it?

Those are against the rules and can get you banned. Crashing isn't. Please stop making stupid arguments.

So? What if you could get away it? The end result is someone gets really unhappy, and the end result of crashing is someone gets a little bit unhappy (to a lesser degree sure, what w/e). Point is that just because you CAN do something doesn't exactly mean its ok and its pretty silly to go around acting like a jerk and ask not be thought of as a d-bag (the OP).

[/hide]

The fact is, there are no consequences to crashing another player. There are consequences to hacking accounts (you violate not only the Terms of Use, but also real world laws surrounding virtual property). So, please, don't use stupid arguments.

In a unavoidable situation where crashing is necessary, such as Bandos or Corporeal Beast, then you have every right to crash. Like sseli said, whoever can utilize a spot the best, has the right to own that spawn. The fact is, it's a game on the internet. Just because it's 'Rude' to crash, doesn't mean we won't.

Besides, you must crash in order to gain maximum efficiency, otherwise you lose profits from the time lost hopping.

The point isn't about the consequences surrouning the actions, it's about the decency of them. Its not a stupid argument. Plus you're the one being asinine for thinking there are consequences to hacking. You're not gonna get sued for hacking your friends account rofl.

We base our actions on what is best for us. In the real world, if you feel happy giving to charity, then you do it. In rs, if you feel happy letting someone you can easily crash keep his spot, then you can hop for hours to find an empty. But in life, no one is forcing you to give to charity, or do volunteer work (unless you want to go to college lol), and no one can force you to not crash.

Who says it isn't?

Business is all about efficiency. And business is what feeds us, houses us, provides us with basically everything.

Totally agree with the last line and glad you realize that, but i find it pretty hard to justify evil. Bad business practices was what caused the US recession. There's a reason why ethics are good in the world. To be honest, i have no idea how you can possibly justify evil. HONORABLE business is good. DISHONARABLE bussiness probably doesn't feed us.

Sure you can do whatever you want and sometimes you can get away with it. But people who do things that aren't decent normally are frowned down upon and don't go around trying to justify themselves.

The argument is simple: Whoever can utilize a spot to maximum efficiency has the right to monster spawn.

Efficiency is always good for an individual, but not always for a group as a whole.

Dragon hatchets have been steadily falling in price the past 12 months (and took a rather quick jump down at the clue update). If you become so efficient at cutting down trees, before you know it you have cut down the whole forest. The same thing is happening with items like the dragon hatchet where people are killing them to the point they wont be a valuable drop anymore. DK's were never designed to have 60-70+ kills an hour while standing in the center, but now it can be done with ease.

Sometimes you need inefficient people killing something instead of only efficient people to keep drops at the value they should be.

This is an issue that wont be fixed until Jagex releases higher level boss monsters. Not necessarily monsters like corp that hit 500's though prayer, but bosses you can barley stay an hour with a yak, unicorn, overloads and maxed gear.

More dragon hatchets at a cheaper price means more people woodcutting more efficiently means more logs are coming into the game which means more people can do what they want with the logs.

You are producing more net wealth and utility per hour. The net effect is that more people get what they want. (which doesn't mean some people don't get what they want)

Who says it isn't?

Totally agree with the last line and glad you realize that, but i find it pretty hard to justify evil. Bad business practices was what caused the US recession. There's a reason why ethics are good in the world.

That's because those businessmen were being shortsighted and did not consider the net effect on society rather than their own personal gain.

Also, being selfish is not being unethical. In fact, being selfish is a core part of ethical egoism.

In the context of MH:

-- RS society incurs a loss of "worse community" at the benefit of producing more net wealth. I would say, in this context, more net wealth is more important than community - because like I said before, most people that play RS don't play it for the community. And if you seek to be part of a real community, why not do something in real life? The point of an MMO is ultimately to simulate success.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

So? What if you could get away it? The end result is someone gets really unhappy, and the end result of crashing is someone gets a little bit unhappy (to a lesser degree sure, what w/e). Point is that just because you CAN do something doesn't exactly mean its ok and its pretty silly to go around acting like a jerk and ask not be thought of as a d-bag (the OP).

I never said "don't call me a d-bag" - I'm saying if you think I'm a d-bag, you're being too sensitive: Maliciousness is bad, but hurting people isn't always bad.

If I can do something, and it yields a net benefit for me and the world (including the loss associated with making someone else hop), then it is okay to do it.

It is the crashed person's fault for being unhappy. I said this in the OP: you can either whine about it, or you can swallow your pride and forget about it. How you deal with your emotions is not my responsibility.

So I can either not crash and be unhappy and have some total stranger be happy, or crash and be happy and have the total stranger being unhappy. Which do you think is the logical choice?

Try not crashing and let the person have the kill, and then simply telling them their gonna be competing with you. Then be a little less happy that u didn't rudely steal someone's kill, but happy that you supposedly found a world that you can take over, leaving the other person a little less unhappy than if they got their kill jacked AND was forced to hop.

I'm sure there's a bunch of other solutions. Use your brains. It's probably easier than spending your life trying to max so you can crash ppl.

I do exactly this when I crash. I never advocated to crash and make fun of the person you're crashing, or to steal the first kill. When I crash, I just say " I am crashing you now, you have the choice to hop or not".

Not sure what your definition of crashing is, but what i'm critisizing is when i get a boss to like 2/3 health and then someone crashes me and jacks the kill i was working on.

Also, i don't see how crashing someone benifits anyone else OTHER than you. The only way you justify crashing is by saying "its the most efficient way to do things", and i find that that's a pretty bad standard to be judging actions on, both in game and especially real life.

Also, i don't see how crashing someone benifits anyone else OTHER than you. The only way you justify crashing is by saying "its the most efficient way to do things", and i find that that's a pretty bad standard to be judging actions on, both in game and especially real life.

Likewise, not crashing someone only benefits the person I didn't crash, at my own cost.

Why is efficiency a bad standard? I am happier finding joy in efficiency rather than joy out of laziness.

sigcopyaf.png

How about this? Boss rooms are public areas. If I'm killing the KBD and you walk in to do the same, you have just as much right to be there as I do, and I will respect that right and expect you to do the same for me. It doesn't matter who was there first. We're both here now, and either one of us has the right to choose whether or not to hop worlds. I will respect that right as well and expect you to do the same for me. If you don't want to hop, and I don't want to hop, then I guess we're fighting for that KBD spawn, and it's your decision as much as mine. That's that.

Likewise, not crashing someone only benefits the person I didn't crash, at my own cost.

Why is efficiency a bad standard? I am happier finding joy in efficiency rather than joy out of laziness.

If I crash someone at TDS, and they try to lure every other TD on me, I just hop. Nothing personal, Or i come back w/ divine and titan and just tank them all.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

More dragon hatchets at a cheaper price means more people woodcutting more efficiently means more logs are coming into the game which means more people can do what they want with the logs.

You are producing more net wealth and utility per hour. The net effect is that more people get what they want. (which doesn't mean some people don't get what they want)

Who says it isn't?

Totally agree with the last line and glad you realize that, but i find it pretty hard to justify evil. Bad business practices was what caused the US recession. There's a reason why ethics are good in the world.

That's because those businessmen were being shortsighted and did not consider the net effect on society rather than their own personal gain.

Also, being selfish is not being unethical. In fact, being selfish is a core part of ethical egoism.

In the context of MH:

-- RS society incurs a loss of "worse community" at the benefit of producing more net wealth. I would say, in this context, more net wealth is more important than community - because like I said before, most people that play RS don't play it for the community. And if you seek to be part of a real community, why not do something in real life? The point of an MMO is ultimately to simulate success.

I agree that egoism is not totally wrong, but to what extent can you use that to justify actions? Can you say the bussinessmen that caused the recession were just keeping a healthy ego? What about doctors that scam their patients? Does hacking someone's account and stealing their money (pretend free trade existed) constitute as being efficient in an MMO so you can simulate success? Isn't all this just a core part of selfish egoism?

If they are chopping logs.

The fact that Yew or Magic logs have not deviated from their natural curves while hatchets have, means people buying them are using their hatchets to cut Ivy or willow logs. If there was a steady increase in the number of people buying hatchets for chopping trees there should also be a increase in the number of logs produced (and thus a lowering in price of the logs). But I don't see the price of logs lowering on any chart (except maples: See Kingdom bug). So all I can see is people buying hatchets for Ivy.

The thing about stuff like hatches is, where the heck would you lose them? The only way they would exit the game is if people chopped with them in PvP worlds or Botters using them were banned.

If the majority of people using them were cutting ivy, then its just a saturation of the supply in hatchets. It has no/little increase in net effect because the value of their hatchet for resale has decreased since they purchased it and Ivy yields no profit except nests.

If they are chopping logs.

The fact that Yew or Magic logs have not deviated from their natural curves while hatchets have, means people buying them are using their hatchets to cut Ivy or willow logs. If there was a steady increase in the number of people buying hatchets for chopping trees there should also be a increase in the number of logs produced (and thus a lowering in price of the logs). But I don't see the price of logs lowering on any chart (except maples: See Kingdom bug). So all I can see is people buying hatchets for Ivy.

The thing about stuff like hatches is, where the heck would you lose them? The only way they would exit the game is if people chopped with them in PvP worlds or Botters using them were banned.

If the majority of people using them were cutting ivy, then its just a saturation of the supply in hatchets. It has no increase in net effect because the value of their hatchet for resale has decreased since they purchased it.

Regardless, I could just say better hatchets mean more people are getting higher WC levels, thereby achieving personal goals and producing utility; the decrease in price will effectively just be their sunk cost for training WC.

The exact reasoning isn't that important - the main idea is that by making more better objects, you allow more people to get what they want. This should be considered to be preferable.

So full line of reasoning:

1) Crashing --> Higher efficiency per monster spawn --> More good items produced --> More people can achieve personal goals --> Net positive effect on society

2) Crashers can crash you and there's nothing you can do about it (other than luring, etc)

3) Crashers have more of a right to a monster spawn for the above 2 reasons.

Counter-argument:

1) Against: "Crashing makes the community more argumentative / antagonistic:" Response: an overly friendly community is not necessarily appropriate for an MMO, where the main point of the game is to stimulate success. Furthermore, crashers are not entirely responsible for the crashee's attitude. If you really cared about community, you could make friends with the crasher.

sigcopyaf.png

I agree that egoism is not totally wrong, but to what extent can you use that to justify actions? Can you say the bussinessmen that caused the recession were just keeping a healthy ego? What about doctors that scam their patients? Does hacking someone's account and stealing their money (pretend free trade existed) constitute as being efficient in an MMO so you can simulate success? Isn't all this just a core part of selfish egoism?

I don't like you. You've somehow derailed this discussion into a comparison to the real world that neither makes sense nor applies to Runescape in the slightest. Hacking someone's account is AGAINST THE RULES. As others have said, crashing is NOT AGAINST THE RULES. Do you see where your argument went completely off-base? It doesn't matter if someone gets caught hacking or not, because it's AGAINST THE RULES. We are discussing CRASHING, not HACKING.

What the [bleep] does hacking have to do with crashing FOR THE PURPOSE OF GETTING MORE KILLS AT A BOSS? I could go out and hack 10 maxed accounts and I'd STILL have to crash Bandos. It doesn't make a difference. So how, exactly, is hacking more efficient than crashing in regards to killing bosses?

I also like how you retired three years ago, but you somehow feel that you're entitled to an opinion. It's really cute. What could you possibly know about the MHing climate in Runescape today?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Because some of the actions justified by saying "its more efficient" are just flat out rude, and some more extreme examples might be considered flat out unethical.

I'm sure it would be more profitable for you to crash, but if you feel that that you have to steal someone elses kill that they were already working on than most people are just going to feel that that's being unneccesarily greedy and is at the height of greediness. You really couldn't have just let someone finish their kill before taking the world? To be honest that just reflects upon how completely self centered you are if you can't settle for anything less than MAXIMUM efficiency and have to resort to taking away other people's enjoyment. Are you really losing that much by waiting a minute to let someone finish their kill and not waste their food+pots spent on taking out 1/3 of its hp? I mean you are already probably going to get every other kill on that world.

Because some of the actions justified by saying "its more efficient" are just flat out rude, and some more extreme examples might be considered flat out unethical.

I'm sure it would be more profitable for you to crash, but if you feel that that you have to steal someone elses kill that they were already working on than most people are just going to feel that that's being unneccesarily greedy and is at the height of greediness. You really couldn't have just let someone finish their kill before taking the world? To be honest that just reflects upon how completely self centered you are if you can't settle for anything less than MAXIMUM efficiency and have to resort to taking away other people's enjoyment. Are you really losing that much by waiting a minute to let someone finish their kill and not waste their food+pots spent on taking out 1/3 of its hp? I mean you are already probably going to get every other kill on that world.

It's a game, nobody cares about ethics. Efficiency + Fun = Good. Crashing is efficient, and fun.

I crash people who have arrogant names, and/or say something like "gtfo/hop/dip etc" if I don't find a world, I take it as a hint to not play and do something else. I really think some people take rs too seriously.

Whether or not I take one particular kill (the first one) is kind of unimportant... crashing "politely" is still crashing. Sometimes I'll steal the first kill, sometimes I'll tell them that I'm about to crash them - it doesn't really matter, I think, because ultimately I'm still what you call "stealing" their spot.

Also, like I said before - your attitude to what I do is your business. I'll try to make things easier for you, but if someone's going to complain, I won't stop them, and I surely won't listen to them if I feel their complaints are unreasonable.

sigcopyaf.png

What's greedy is believing you have a right to a world all for yourself just because you got there first. It's a public space. You have no more claim to it than anyone else.

I don't like you. You've somehow derailed this discussion into a comparison to the real world that neither makes sense nor applies to Runescape in the slightest. Hacking someone's account is AGAINST THE RULES. As others have said, crashing is NOT AGAINST THE RULES. Do you see where your argument went completely off-base? It doesn't matter if someone gets caught hacking or not, because it's AGAINST THE RULES. We are discussing CRASHING, not HACKING.

What the [bleep] does hacking have to do with crashing FOR THE PURPOSE OF GETTING MORE KILLS AT A BOSS? I could go out and hack 10 maxed accounts and I'd STILL have to crash Bandos. It doesn't make a difference. So how, exactly, is hacking more efficient than crashing in regards to killing bosses?

I also like how you retired three years ago, but you somehow feel that you're entitled to an opinion. It's really cute. What could you possibly know about the MHing climate in Runescape today?

That sig was really old, i still can't figure out how to change it. I started playing about 5 months ago, and didn't start posting on tip.it until recently. I'll figure out how to change it soon.

Hacking doesn't have anything to do with MH. But I bet it could be just as efficient way to make money. That's apparently the reason crashing is justified, so i mean i could use that to justify hacking or glitching, or anything else that benifits me in the game no matter how terrible the action is right? Apparently anything that is the best way to benifit the player is ok, so when if i countered every crasher by hacking their accounts? Its efficent yes? Who cares if its against the rules? I can get away with it, just like you can get away with crashing me. I had to take so many computer classes i've earned my right to take happiness away from people.

It's a game, nobody cares about ethics. Efficiency + Fun = Good. Crashing is efficient, and fun.

I could have sworn this was a thread about the ethics of crashing....if the only argument was "i can crash cuz its fun and i will" what was the point of even starting this thread?

Whether or not I take one particular kill (the first one) is kind of unimportant... crashing "politely" is still crashing. Sometimes I'll steal the first kill, sometimes I'll tell them that I'm about to crash them - it doesn't really matter, I think, because ultimately I'm still what you call "stealing" their spot.

Also, like I said before - your attitude to what I do is your business. I'll try to make things easier for you, but if someone's going to complain, I won't stop them, and I surely won't listen to them if I feel their complaints are unreasonable.

Well happy crashing. I'm not sure why you started a thread to justify crashing if all you were going to say was "i'm going to crash whether crashing is a d-bag move or not".

Well happy crashing. I'm not sure why you started a thread to justify crashing if all you were going to say was "i'm going to crash whether crashing is a d-bag move or not".

I didn't realize it at the time, but the original post is a troll. But trolling isn't necessarily bad - a lot of arguments have been fleshed out in this thread, and I think (or at least hope) everyone understands each other. That's not a bad thing. That was one of my original intentions with this tread and I think it's shown through.

sigcopyaf.png