What if World of Warcraft WOW was free?

canadiansmurf

I've been noticing that some other MMORPG's are becoming free for basic gameplay. This basic gameplay still offers a tonne of content.

They also sell items or gold so may be generating revenue from that and are offering premium membership.

Still these free mmorgp's are impressive and now include Everquest the one that started it all and LOTRO.

Will this massively impact RS?

Especially if WOW were to become F2P as that's the game most players seem to compare to RS.

still wouldn't play i just don't find it fun. I tried the 3 day demo, it was boring. although this might be because i don't want to start all over in a new game when I'm maxed(combat) here in rs... or due to the fact that i don't want to relearn everything about a new game when i have almost everything remembered about rs. There is also the factor i don't want to leave my rs friends. Also wow has way to many hot keys and spells and skills its little overwhelming.

Will this massively impact RS?

Especially if WOW were to become F2P as that's the game most players seem to compare to RS.

Well, it hasn't so far, has it? You said it yourself, there are companies who have been doing this far longer than RS. And RuneScape is still doing pretty damn well.

hzvjpwS.gif

Completely different type of game & gameplay. I left WoW due to it being too reliant on other people whereas RS is mainly solo with limited optional teamwork elements.

Also if WoW was "free" you would still have to buy the game + 3 expansions. To be fair for the £10? a month free you get a LOT of content. Due to the amount of patches and content introduced each expansion it would be impossible to balance the game around making that content optional. They have already introduced various items in the Blizzard store for purchase that people lap up like idiots.

With Runescape all it requires is an internet connection and a basic computer. It's also only £3 a month for membership which is next to nothing.

So nowadays I play other games for my "immersive" gaming experience, and runescape for my online-grindfest fix.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

It would be an improvement but I would still want to be paid to play.

Anything more than 10 pounds a month for any online game is too much imo. Not unless the game itself is free and then maybe I would possibly pay upto 15 pounds a month.

I do think runescape subscription is too cheap.. Not that im complaining about it. Plus the game is free.

Well, I stopped playing RS due to the grinding nature that I've become bored of, and I believe WoW is similar in that way, so I most likely would not play it either.

Also, Vindictus is another of those free games you can add to the list.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Runescape will no longer have the "most popular free MMO" anymore. Simple as that.

Also, there may be some players who WILL switch to WoW, although Blizzard will likely lose tons

of money for doing so.

I probably would check it out

Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

Going for Level 99 Magic & Level 99 Smithing!!!

Going for 200M Woodcutting exp!!!!!!!

0346-0077-6360 Mario kart Wii

I hope that you are Reporting the Bots! Please Report Bots.

Kidding me? RuneScape sucks ass, I'd switch to WOW if it was free. At least WOW has end game content.

Are you saying that Runescape lacks adequate content for end game play while the rest of the game is geared to driving you to those levels that have little purpose? :rolleyes:

Once you actually have all that stuff, maxed combat, all the good dunge items, max herb/prayer, I don't think there's much in the game that offers a challenge. Maybe Solo Corp.

I've thought for a while that Jagex needs to release a good, high level boss geared towards the use of, say, someone leeching all the bosses stats, everybody else with say turmoil, all using chaotic weapons and overloads, AND STILL BEING CHALLENGING.

One problem with bosses in general is that once you know how to beat it, it becomes easy. Other problem, more RS specific, outside of Dunge there's no player limit. So if a boss is hard, nothing stopping you from getting 20 people to pwn the crap outta it.

Personally....I dunno what I'd do. Think I'd stick with RS, because like someone said, going from High leve -> low level. Learning a new game. I'd rather continue my overall RS goal of becoming a pwnage mage, then start it over in WoW.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Kidding me? RuneScape sucks ass, I'd switch to WOW if it was free. At least WOW has end game content.

Are you saying that Runescape lacks adequate content for end game play while the rest of the game is geared to driving you to those levels that have little purpose? :rolleyes:

This is a 2010ers argument :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is a 2010ers argument :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Doesn't sound like an argument to me...sounds like he's actually supplementing your argument.

hzvjpwS.gif

Doesn't sound like an argument to me...sounds like he's actually supplementing your argument.

To me it sounds like he's saying that end game content/levels is pointless but the point is the actual leveling to that 99. Such as saying ivy was a good update for woodcutting because you can level faster, yet there is still no real reward to level for.

To me it sounds like he's saying that end game content/levels is pointless but the point is the actual leveling to that 99. Such as saying ivy was a good update for woodcutting because you can level faster, yet there is still no real reward to level for.

I was saying the game is geared to grinding your levels up, but once you get the high levels they serve little purpose. It's like climbing the stairs to a really high floor of a super extravagant mall and the top floor only has a Jamba Juice and a Baby Gap.

Once you actually have all that stuff, maxed combat, all the good dunge items, max herb/prayer, I don't think there's much in the game that offers a challenge. Maybe Solo Corp.

I've thought for a while that Jagex needs to release a good, high level boss geared towards the use of, say, someone leeching all the bosses stats, everybody else with say turmoil, all using chaotic weapons and overloads, AND STILL BEING CHALLENGING.

One problem with bosses in general is that once you know how to beat it, it becomes easy. Other problem, more RS specific, outside of Dunge there's no player limit. So if a boss is hard, nothing stopping you from getting 20 people to pwn the crap outta it.

Personally....I dunno what I'd do. Think I'd stick with RS, because like someone said, going from High leve -> low level. Learning a new game. I'd rather continue my overall RS goal of becoming a pwnage mage, then start it over in WoW.

Exactly my thought. I will love to have a challenge to achieve 120 constitution or maybe 120 in all combat aspects...making the max level near impossible

to achieve, keeping players on the computer forever....

They are completely different games and any comparisons between the two are often done by people who have no idea of one of the other. It's entirely possible to play both as to me I play them both for completely different reasons and get different sorts of fun out of each of them.

WoW will not be free for a very long time, why would it need to be when they have 13M subscribers a month? Thus making this discussion fairly pointless in the long run. LOTRO wasn't doing well, hence why it went free.

They are completely different games and any comparisons between the two are often done by people who have no idea of one of the other. It's entirely possible to play both as to me I play them both for completely different reasons and get different sorts of fun out of each of them.

WoW will not be free for a very long time, why would it need to be when they have 13M subscribers a month? Thus making this discussion fairly pointless in the long run. LOTRO wasn't doing well, hence why it went free.

It may be simplistic, but I think the best way to seperate WoW and RS is WoW = group play; RS = solo play

It may be simplistic, but I think the best way to seperate WoW and RS is WoW = group play; RS = solo play

They're not even similar in game play, ignoring solo/group things. They are seriously completely different games. It's like comparing Mario Kart to something like Forza as they're both racing games.

They're not even similar in game play, ignoring solo/group things. They are seriously completely different games. It's like comparing Mario Kart to something like Forza as they're both racing games.

This is true. WoW is a much more in-depth, intensive game. One of the many reasons why I don't play it.