Hacked

vettro

I came home from the doctors today and logged on to check some GE offers. First off, my password is wrong. So I change it. Now it's still logged in. I get on a different account and let this person know how I feel. Haha. So he just dropped 30M of items I happened to be wearing. Fury, whip, etc. Obviously very annoying, but not really a big deal money wise. The dumb thing is that they changed my name and now I'm stuck with "set to win" for a month. -.- So, I'm not asking for handouts or sympathy.

My problem is that my account is as secure as it comes. Got recoveries and bank pin (which saved me 60M). I have no idea how my account got hacked. Nobody knows my password. My brother is the only person. He doesn't play Runescape and has no incentive to drop 30M. I'm less upset about this instance than the fear that it could happen again.

Advice to never let this happen again?

vettro.png

Clean your pc of everything that could be dangerous and never play on another pc again. Don't visit shady websites at all.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Stuff like that does just happen. I came back from a 10 month break to find my account hacked, ~600m dropped/lost snd a few hunder mill more in items/supplies.

Best thing you can do is what i did. Write down a random pass. Something even you would forget 3tcxg234xzefwef. Random numbers and letters. Scan your pc for keyloggers before you do that though. But seeing as your bank pin was not known i doubt it was a keylogger. Maybe your brother found a buddy who plays rs and thought he'd be kind and share your account details with him? Don;t let him know your pass just to be safe.

Make sure your password is long, complex and nothing out of the dictionary. Use upper/lower case letters, numbers AND symbols. Don't use your RuneScape password on any other site. Scan your computer regularly for viruses, etc., don't visit sites or download files linked to you by someone you don't know.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Stuff like that does just happen. I came back from a 10 month break to find my account hacked, ~600m dropped/lost snd a few hunder mill more in items/supplies.

Best thing you can do is what i did. Write down a random pass. Something even you would forget 3tcxg234xzefwef. Random numbers and letters. Scan your pc for keyloggers before you do that though. But seeing as your bank pin was not known i doubt it was a keylogger. Maybe your brother found a buddy who plays rs and thought he'd be kind and share your account details with him? Don;t let him know your pass just to be safe.

I was under the impression that the PIN system did not use the same transmissions that keyloggers intercept from pressing keys. I thought that was the entire reason that the PIN system was developed in the first place - to thwart keyloggers. In fact, because his account was taken, but his bank was not, (and that the OP can't think of any scenario to reveal his password) I would be willing to guess that a keylogger is present on his computer or a computer that was recently used.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yeah I'm with Laura. From what I understand, keyloggers log the keys you press on your keyboard. Since entering a PIN uses your mouse, a keylogger wouldn't log which buttons you press.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

And you might want to keep an eye on your computer, or know who's using it and for what; because it might not be the sites that you visit that got it infected with a keylogger.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Thanks for the replies. I have really never visited "shady" websites. I'm on a mac so how can I look for keyloggers? I DID have the same password on Runescape and Facebook. My brother doesn't play runescape but he does know that what my account means to me. Nobody other than my family uses this computer so I'm not worried about weird people using my computer.

vettro.png

I have really never visited "shady" websites. I'm on a mac so how can I look for keyloggers?

what do you mean? Do you need a keylogger? Or do you need to detect a keylogger?

If you need a keylogger, what for?

I need to know if there is a keylogger on my computer.

vettro.png

I have really never visited "shady" websites. I'm on a mac so how can I look for keyloggers?

what do you mean? Do you need a keylogger? Or do you need to detect a keylogger?

If you need a keylogger, what for?

Are.... are you serious? Did you even read this thread to see what was going on in here? :wall: :wall:

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

If you want to trust your brother with your password, then fine, but I would never do that... v v v

Maybe your brother found a buddy who plays rs and thought he'd be kind and share your account details with him?

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

If you want to trust your brother with your password, then fine, but I would never do that... v v v

Maybe your brother found a buddy who plays rs and thought he'd be kind and share your account details with him?

It wasn't my brother. Because my brother also knows my pin number. Can we continue this discussion on the assumption that my brother was NOT involved?

vettro.png

It wasn't my brother. Because my brother also knows my pin number. Can we continue this discussion on the assumption that my brother was NOT involved?

Well, if you want to go ahead and make the assumption that he was not involved at all, the only way someone could get your password is via a keylogger or RaT.

1) Make sure your runescape password is never the same as any other password you use for any website.

2) Make sure your recovery questions are only things YOU could ever know. Recovery questions like what your hair color is, are easy to figure out if someone has access to your page on social media sites like facebook.

3) Make sure your email account that you signed up to runescape with is secure. The company Jagex deals with for membership information, sends a invoice to your email account every time you make a membership purchase. With that invoice account number, combined with a few of your recovery questions, someone can easily recover your account. You might even want to consider changing your Jagex registered email to a new one.

4) Make sure your antivirus is up to date. You can talk to the guy's in the tech forum if you want more info, but there are several free programs that can clean out unwanted malware and trojans that antivirus software might not pick up.

Some of the ones I would recomend are:

SuperAnti-Spyware (Free edition)

http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html?tag=mncol;3

or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (This one is better in my opinion)

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;1

5) Make sure you never join a skype call or IRC channel that you do not trust. Players can ping you, and get your ISP IP adress. With the correct IP address, and some recovery questions, they can recover your account.

6) Make sure to always bank your items before logout. Unless you got hit with an advanced keylogger (which it looks like you didn't) then the "Hacker" will likely never be able to get into your bank account.

7) NEVER PM the person if they are on your account. By talking with them, they may learn more details about you, to recover your account at a later time. Also, people hack accounts to annoy people, so by letting them know you are angry about it only encourages them to continue on your account.

It had to be #1. My facebook and runescape password were the same.

When the guy got on he tried to change my email address but it sent it to my email which is how I found out he was on my account. I put in the abort code asap.

vettro.png

Just want to say that to get a keylogger on your mac would be very rare (it is possible, but you would have to remember installing software that did not work or that you did not know of what it was for and then opening it.), I rather think you logged in on RS or facebook at a windows computer and they had a keylogger.

I have been using mac my whole life, have no bank pin, and have never been hacked in 6 years playing runescape.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I've heard of a rumor going on that an activist is hacking MMORPG accounts to force players to engage in social life

and stop video game addiction. Afaik, They're using LOTS of methods to hack accounts (which the ladder may include

keylogging) so if you were once of those poor victims who has a weak password, change it and use something

written on a note with a bunch of letters, numbers, or slogans mixed up. Believe it or not, PIN does not

guarantee your bank safety since there are more keyloggers detecting mouseclicks on screen so your best

bet is to avoid getting keylogged in the first place. Don't visit shady websites like ones claiming to give

free partyhats, RS accounts, P/Fmod status etc. Oh, and if I were you, I wouldn't tell my brother ANYTHING about

Runescape. No matter how apathetic he may be of your Runescape enthusiasm. Telling information no matter how sensitive

to anyone can hold serious ramifications.

Just want to say that to get a keylogger on your mac would be very rare (it is possible, but you would have to remember installing software that did not work or that you did not know of what it was for and then opening it.), I rather think you logged in on RS or facebook at a windows computer and they had a keylogger.

I have been using mac my whole life, have no bank pin, and have never been hacked in 6 years playing runescape.

i have been using pc my whole life, have no bank pin, and have never been hacked in 9 years playing runescape. it has less to do with what computer you use and more to do with how sensible you are.

i have been using pc my whole life, have no bank pin, and have never been hacked in 9 years playing runescape. it has less to do with what computer you use and more to do with how sensible you are.

Agreed, sick of hearing about how macs are "better"

In other words: We got a ban hammer in varrock mines. It's jackin yo [censor] bots, slappin yo macros up, tryna ban em, so ya'll need to hide yo scripts, hide yo clicks, and hide yo logs cause they bannin errbody up in here.

8.jpg

Exactly. After 6 years of RS, I've never been hacked, and always used a PC. I keep a bank pin just to be on the safe side but it really only is about how well you contain information like your pass/recoveries and not downloading or visiting websites that have the possibility to put on a keylogger/any other virus.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

I did never say that you could not be safe on a windows, I did say that it is rare to get hacked while using only a mac. While using a mac you can visit what ever internet page, download everything you can, have no virus scan and still be 100% safe. The only time you are possible not safe is to install the keylogger, while ignoring at least 2 warnings for malware and not knowing what programm you are installing (and mostly they have a stupid name).

If you don't know how to keep your computer safe on windows (believe me, a lot people don't know it, some people like you who just replied seem to do) there is a much higher chance to get malware.

And what I did say was that he most likely used someone else computer with windows on it and that computer may be infected with malware. I never said macs are "better" I just said that it is rare to see that happening, in fact keyloggers and trojan horses did only appear a few years ago, other then that there are no viruses on mac (argue what you want, all the malware that are found have to be installed and do not make use of system bugs, that means that if you read or heard about viruses on mac, they use the wrong word to describe it).

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

The only software I've downloaded recently that didn't work was the RS client of their website. Haha.

And my password wasn't weak. It had a lot of characters and numbers. I've been hacked before, but every time there had been a legit reason, if not dumb of me, reason. Is there a chance a bot could've hacked it by just randomly guessing things? Although with my password that would've taken a really long time as my password holds no meaningful significance.

vettro.png