Egyptian revolution live feed

Bloodstain

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a live news feed. What happened in Egypt that lead up to this? I've seen some stuff recently about censorship but nothing I'd expect to cause a revolution.

They just took a break in their live coverage of the protests, no idea when it'll be back. Going to school now, will post a bit of background when I get home in 2 or 3 hours

yes.png

I am painfully ignorant on this situation, why are they protesting?

Same here. The same as the Tunisia riots, I didn't know why they were doing it either.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I am painfully ignorant on this situation, why are they protesting?

Ever since the Tunisian protest (protesting worsening economic conditions, corruption and political repression) resulted in their President stepping down, a lot of other Middle Eastern/North African nations with autocratic gov'ts have been having similar demonstrations hoping for similar results.

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

The current "President" (or whatever their top leader is called) declared a state of emergency in 1983 and took power in what is basically a dictatorship and has held it for the last 30 years or so. I don't know what has sparked the recent initiative unless it had to do with Egypt trying to either ban the internet itself or sites like twitter and facebook.

I don't know what has sparked the recent initiative unless it had to do with Egypt trying to either ban the internet itself or sites like twitter and facebook.

Sounds pretty likely. People take their freedom very seriously, and trying to ban a worldwide source of free information is the epitome of tyranny.

Social networking happened. There was a protest organized on Facebook, I believe everything was peaceful until their internet plug was pulled.

Egypt has been an ally to the US for a while now, its unclear if this dictatorship topples if the new system will be friendly or not. I think the US (er, and Israel) right now is damned if they intervene, damned if they don't.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The army is getting cheered on by the public.

I REALLY want to see this potential coup de ta live. SOOOO psyched

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

The current "President" (or whatever their top leader is called) declared a state of emergency in 1983 and took power in what is basically a dictatorship and has held it for the last 30 years or so. I don't know what has sparked the recent initiative unless it had to do with Egypt trying to either ban the internet itself or sites like twitter and facebook.

Pretty much, plus unemployment and the government basically being an American puppet one.

At least 50% of males and 90% of females remain jobless two years after leaving school. In addition, the number of jobs created decreased by more than 10% in 2009, with most of the available jobs involving poorly paid informal work, which is highly vulnerable to economic pressures.

While the poverty rate which increased from 2000 to 2005 declined from 2005 to 2008, it is once again on the rise, according to the results of the National Income and Expenditure Survey, which was conducted in 2008/2009. More than 21% of Egyptians now live below the national poverty line, and more than 40% of Egyptians earn less than $2 a day, compared to a regional average of 20%.

Corruption is widespread in Egypt. Transparency Internationals 2010 Corruption Perception Index ranks it 98 of 178 countries; most corruption occurs through bribes. A survey by the International Finance Corp. revealed that six of 10 Egyptian entrepreneurs consider corruption a major constraint on their businesses.

And yeah, they were burning police vans + the ruling party's HQ, the president ordered the military to roll in and reinforce the police (which is what the protesters want, they were hopeful the military would back them). And surprise surprise, pitting a conscript military against their family and friends ended with the military waving Egyptian flags, shaking protester hands, and reportedly getting into conflict with the police.

yes.png

Hasn't there been recent civil unrest since the Copts got pissed and started clashing with police for being targeted?

And I like how Al Jazeera called the Muslim Brotherhood a political organization...

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Lol, the president just made a speech. He isn't stepping down, instead he's firing everyone below him! Hilarious

He's fired his head of military who's been in charge for 20+ years. Is this [wagon] literally encouraging a military coup?
yes.png

Link

[spoiler=Article]CAIRO — Well before 8 o'clock on a late April morning, a line of about 30 eager customers forms at a modest bakery in this working-class neighborhood. With a global food crisis roiling countries from Asia to the edge of Europe, at least 11 people have been killed recently in such lines here, struggling to get their daily bread.

But today, the queue melts away within moments. Veiled women and men in worn shirts approach a small wooden shack at the end of a narrow alley, hand over the equivalent of a few cents and leave holding a plastic bag filled with nine flat loaves of bread. Over the next half-hour, until the bakery runs out of its only product, the line waxes and wanes.

There's no panic, no desperate scrambling for sustenance — a tentative sign of success for an emergency government plan that involves dramatic increases in spending on bread subsidies and the use of Egyptian soldiers as bakers.

"Now we're able to find bread," says Dalia Hafez, 40, seated on a nearby curb in a cappuccino-colored headscarf. "Thanks God, the crisis is over."

For now, anyway. But the aftershocks from the food trauma here are only beginning to be felt.

Tensions are continuing to build in this key U.S. ally, evidence that the global food crisis — the product of factors ranging from unusual weather in producing nations to increased competition for grains from biofuels programs — is now about much more than food.

"This crisis threatens not only the hungry, but also peace and stability," the head of the United Nations World Food Program (WFP), Josette Sheeran, warned in a recent speech.

That's certainly true in Egypt, the most populous Arab nation, recipient of $1.8 billion in annual U.S. foreign aid and a critical link in global trade sitting astride the Suez Canal. Its authoritarian government is faced with mounting labor unrest, profound public dissatisfaction over a yawning gap between rich and poor and questions over who will lead Egypt in the coming years.

In this deeply unsettled atmosphere, images of Egyptians scrapping for subsidized balady (bal-a-DEE) bread have left the government on edge. Proof of just how sensitive the issue remains could be seen in the response of Egyptian state security to a USA TODAY correspondent's visit to a second bakery later that April morning.

As the reporter and his translator left the bakery in the Rod El Faroq neighborhood, they were blocked by a plainclothes security officer. The man demanded the memory card from the reporter's camera, saying the images it contained — of men baking bread — posed "a threat to Egypt's national security."

The reporter and his translator were surrounded by at least seven policemen in white uniforms. Some threatened the bakery owner with prison for speaking with a foreign journalist.

The journalists were detained for five hours. Egyptian officials said no pictures could be taken in their country without advance government approval. The camera's memory card was returned, damaged.

That Egyptian officials regard photos of bakers at work as potentially incendiary is a measure both of bread's unrivaled importance in the Egyptian diet and of the government's concern that continued public discontent over food supplies could metastasize into something more threatening.

Officials here have good reason to be worried. In 1977, an abortive government effort to reduce the bread subsidies that are a lifeline for most Egyptians sparked widespread rioting, which led to dozens of deaths and forced the government to abandon its plans.

"People in Egypt may be considered passive or silent, but there's a limit to this. And when they reach that limit, one day there will be a popular explosion," said lawyer Esam Salam, interviewed at a cafe near Cairo's train station.

Former Pentagon official David Schenker, who lived in Cairo in the early 1990s and is with the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, returned here recently for a visit and was stunned at the sour public mood.

"I was shocked," he says. "I find it very scary."

An emergence of chaos The Egyptian government has provided heavily subsidized bread for decades as a way to guarantee social peace in a nation where the nasbaseeta, or simple folk, have little control over the larger forces that buffet their lives.

The frustrating bread lines are mostly gone, but soaring prices for other foods are adding another burden to a population already under enormous stress. More than 40% of Egypt's 80 million people live on just $2 a day — what millions of Americans spend for a cup of coffee. Almost 20% get by on daily income of just $1.

On April 6, the latest in a string of mounting protests by disaffected workers seeking higher pay to keep up with double-digit inflation boiled over into riots in the textile capital of Mahalla.

Last week, in a rare show of public dissent, a Cairo University student heckled Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif during a speech.

The simmering unrest comes amid questions over Egypt's political future. President Hosni Mubarak — in office since the 1981 assassination of his predecessor, Anwar Sadat — turns 80 on Sunday. He is grooming his son Gamal to succeed him, but in this nominally democratic nation, many Egyptians resent the notion of what they regard as a "Pharaonic" succession. Opposition groups have called for Egyptians to stage a general strike on the president's birthday.

"We believe if the situation remains as it is, there will be the emergence of chaos in this country," says Ashraf Badr El-Din, a member of parliament from the opposition Muslim Brotherhood.

A worldwide threat Bread plays a unique, almost mystical, role in Egyptian life. This is the only Arab country where people call the staple aish, or life, rather than khubz. In the simple dusty villages far from the major cities, Egyptians developed 82 different types of bread, using corn, sorghum and barley as well as wheat, says Ahmed Khorshid, the government scientist known as the "father of bread" after a lifetime of research on the subject.

With the introduction of state subsidies in the 1960s, wheat bread became the standard. Today, Egypt is the largest importer of wheat in the world, placing annual orders of about 7 million tons, or roughly half its annual consumption.

Egypt's current predicament is just one facet of a global mosaic: 37 countries face a crisis over food, according to the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization.

Weak or embattled governments in some of the world's poorest nations could be pushed to the brink of anarchy or beyond by the life-or-death pressures of scarce or expensive food.

Already, Haiti's government has been driven from office by violent protests over prices that are 50% to 100% higher than last year. Seven other countries — Egypt, Cameroon, the Ivory Coast, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Indonesia and Madagascar — have suffered food riots.

Global food prices have risen 73% since 2006, but the increase for certain products has been even more dramatic. Edible oils are up 144%; cereals, including wheat and rice, are up 129%; dairy products have doubled in price.

World Bank President Robert Zoellick says the developing world's higher food bill will erase the past seven years of progress in reducing poverty. And prices are expected to remain elevated at least through 2009.

In Egypt, soaring food costs are straining government budgets and threatening to undermine 4-year-old economic reforms. Those market-oriented initiatives have spurred economic growth to an annual rate of 7% but are predicated upon sharp reductions in Egypt's bloated public subsidy bill.

The government was preparing to reduce spending that keeps food artificially cheap, but the global crisis forced Mubarak to reverse course.

Now, instead of cutting subsidies, he's dramatically increased them, staving off public discontent at the cost of a larger government deficit.

The WFP has labeled the spreading food crisis a "silent tsunami." But Egypt's food problem is no natural disaster. It's been compounded by government policies that distort markets.

The government keeps bread almost free — one loaf costs less than a penny — by subsidizing the wheat used to produce it. However, the system is vulnerable to widespread corruption.

In recent months, as the global market price of wheat rose steadily higher, bakers began selling their subsidized flour to private bakeries rather than using it to make bread for the poor. Fifty-pound sacks of flour purchased from the government at a steep discount could be resold on the black market for roughly 10 times the subsidized price.

Diversions of subsidized flour occurred even as rising prices at the private bakeries caused more people to switch from buying their higher-priced bread to the cheaper version sold at the subsidized stores.

Market-priced bread, which had cost about 4 cents per loaf, jumped to almost 10 cents apiece as world grain prices soared. With less flour available to make bread even as more customers demanded it, the result was scarcity and long lines.

In March, Mubarak ordered the army to begin baking bread and distributing it through hastily established kiosks. Officials promised an end to bakery lines by the end of April.

By last week, there were indications that the acute phase of the episode had passed. But with food prices rising across the board at better than 20% annually, grumbling remains.

"The people are angry with the increase in prices. We don't know how to make ends meet," says Om Hashem Shaban, balancing on her head a torn white sack full of fresh bread.

Like the poor elsewhere, Egyptians cope with higher food prices by cutting back on expenditures for education and health care, says Bishow Parajuli, WFP country director.

To cope with fast-rising prices, Shaban says her family, including five children, eats less and occasionally skips meals. Most days, the menu usually consists only of bread.

Rice, Shaban says, "is more of a luxury item."

About 60 miles north of the Egyptian capital lies the country's agricultural heartland. Less than 3% of Egypt's territory is arable land.

The best of it is found in the rich farmland of the Nile Delta.

Under a broiling sun, farmers trade rumors of the next move in commodities prices. Despite high prices for their crops, farmers here feel beset on all sides.

Their irrigation systems lack adequate maintenance. The cost of seeds and fertilizer has skyrocketed. Many pay rich landowners ever-higher rents for the right to work their modest lands. Those who own their own simple farms end up with smaller and smaller plots as each generation's inheritance subdivides farms among several sons.

Standing in a wheat field amid dive-bombing flies, farmer Samy Halim quotes a peasant proverb to explain his survival strategy: "Stretch your legs as far as your blanket. If you have a short blanket, don't stretch too much."

Smiling wanly, he adds, "We try to make a living. Sometimes, it's hard, but we do what we can."

This article was written in 2008. Looks like they saw this coming and did nothing.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Looks like they shut off the Internet in Egypt? I really don't see that helping to solve the situation at all. It just makes the protests a lot worse (as shown with the recent riots). To add onto that, it just draws attention to the situation, making those involved receive support from individuals in other countries.

j0xPu5R.png

I just hope we don't get involved with it.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Looks like they shut off the Internet in Egypt? I really don't see that helping to solve the situation at all. It just makes the protests a lot worse (as shown with the recent riots). To add onto that, it just draws attention to the situation, making those involved receive support from individuals in other countries.

Shut it down long ago (long as in 24 hours ago I think?)

I just hope we don't get involved with it.

Lol America is already involved, they're the ones that keep these dictators in power :wink: Right now I think they're trying to appear neutral until they can determine which side will win and to back

yes.png

EgyptAir suspends flights from Cairo as government imposes curfew amid mass protests

Some crazy stuff. My half sister has a trip to Egypt planned in March :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Saw some of the news coverage for this in the pub earlier. Pretty crazy stuff with loads of people pelting army trucks with rocks and such, cars on fire and all the other traditional signs of a massive nationwide riot.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Not just social networking sites but mobile phone networks too have been shut down.

They did it during the night, to try to avoid what has happened.... Naive fools xD

You can't stop the signal, RESULTS.

005SNT_David_Krumholtz_002.jpg

I'm going to milk Goon's teats