Tattoo general

monaliza

Fair call on the comment on the sizing. I think an open leg space could also work well. I want to minimise stretching, through growth. Will that ultimately be a problem?

English isn't my native language, but do you mean growth as in, for example, exercising and getting "bulkier legs"? If so, that really won't be a problem. The skin has an amazing ability to adapt, so unless you plan on going on a steroid binge and increase your muscle mass by over 200% in a very, very short time, you've no reason to worry.

You picked me up perfectly. In that case, I might go for a thigh tattoo.

On the note of thigh tattoos, did another sitting on my thigh piece last night.

98t3e8.png

The bottom is a bit "mirky" right now but next sitting we're going to spend a lot of time flushing out the little details of Yoda. Thus far we're sitting at about 11 hours of work which isn't a whole lot for a piece of this size. I'd venture to say we have another 10-ish hours left to put in.

98t3e8.png

I've said it before but it really is turning into an awesome piece. The shading is some of the best I've seen. I also love how the light from the ball reflects on other surfaces. Looks badass.

When's your next session?

On a different note, Stockholm Ink Bash starts in about ten days. My tattooist usually has a booth there so I'll try to find her and discuss ideas on how we can expand on my sleeve. Also planning on piercing my ears while I'm there, but that's another topic. Oh and my friend's gonna turn his shoulder piece into a half sleeve.

[hide]

fFJlr.jpg

[/hide]

I'm all giddy!

2009rb9.jpg

We want to get it done for the Motor City Tattoo Expo here in February, so there's no real definite when my next session will be. The idea is he'll just give me a call whenever he's got a couple hours free on a day and I'll pop in to do some work. So could be once a month from now until then or once every couple weeks; really remains to be seen.

With your ear piercings do you plan on gauging?

It'll be fantastic to see how your friends sleeve progresses from a shoulder piece. I want too many different things to just get a sleeve, so at the end of the day I think my artist and I will sit down when my arm is just about covered and think on how we want to combine them.

Nice, that should at least leave you enough time between sessions to forget how much it sucks!

I'll most likely stretch. Doubt I'll end up going much bigger than 11,1 or 12,7mm though (for those of you still stuck in the dark ages, that's 7/16"-1/2" respectively). But then I have friends who said the exact same thing and are now up to 19,1mms (3/4").

Yeah, tell me about it. I've at least decided to have my right arm follow a "consistent" theme and style, and done by the same artist. But my left arm will just end up a potpourri of different traditional, flash-type stuff done by different artists. And then I'll probably fill the really small spaces in between with standard dots and stars.

Also really looking forward to see my friend's piece worked on. His artist has apparently had a finished sketch for 2 years now. He also plans on going over the chest since my friend has a pretty shitty tattoo done by a mutual "friend" at a party years ago. So he's gonna fix it up a bit and incorporate it into his piece.

I think I've mentioned it before, but you should take a look at the Gypsy Gentleman. It's a free show featuring Marcus Kuhn. He travels around the states and meets different (usually very talented) artists, and the episodes end with them tattoing people following a specific theme. Marcus can be a bit obnoxious, but it's really quite good all in all. It's a breath of fresh air after all the terrible tattoo shows we usually get.

2009rb9.jpg

I don't have any tattoos myself, and I'm not particularly looking into getting one at the moment, but I've been looking around and I've really fallen in love with this guy's work. I've never liked a tattoo style this much before.

Actually, all the artists at http://tattootemple.hk/ are really awesome, in my opinion.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Some tattoos I'm thinking of getting once I turn 18 (stupid US laws don't let me under-age).

A friend of mine actually drew this onto my calf (I thought the idea up and explained it to him, wanted to see what it'd look like; and yes there is a meaning behind it, its not some gay-ass tribal).

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=5d60ce1881&view=att&th=13954a3c85065fa7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9sVpR6kayvyv8UWYf-PdTh&sadet=1345744812526&sads=nVzWQy34S8CPMbhc9TscmSKPGHI&sadssc=1

Also considering getting typography on the back of my calves if not the above (^^).

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8q5d5BbuM1qhjujlo1_500.jpg

And then I definitely want either (or both) of these:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/337/e/0/my_new_aperture_tattoo_by_igator-d4i1tse.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3343138149_212ddf1883.jpg

Not sure about where I'd want these last two placement-wise, but I'll figure it out eventually.

So yeah, my ideas so far.

I'm also greatly considering getting a sleeve done, but that'd all depend on money/if I have an epiphany for an amazing concept art.

I don't have any tattoos myself, and I'm not particularly looking into getting one at the moment, but I've been looking around and I've really fallen in love with this guy's work. I've never liked a tattoo style this much before.

Actually, all the artists at http://tattootemple.hk/ are really awesome, in my opinion.

Ooooo you're right, he has skill. I really like the tattoo of the thick black line fading away down the customers back.. don't know why, it just feels cool.

hiccup.png

Some tattoos I'm thinking of getting once I turn 18 (stupid US laws don't let me under-age).

A friend of mine actually drew this onto my calf (I thought the idea up and explained it to him, wanted to see what it'd look like; and yes there is a meaning behind it, its not some gay-ass tribal).

https://mail-attachm...SKPGHI&sadssc=1

Also considering getting typography on the back of my calves if not the above (^^).

http://25.media.tumb...hjujlo1_500.jpg

And then I definitely want either (or both) of these:

http://fc09.devianta...tor-d4i1tse.jpg

http://farm4.static...._212ddf1883.jpg

Not sure about where I'd want these last two placement-wise, but I'll figure it out eventually.

So yeah, my ideas so far.

I'm also greatly considering getting a sleeve done, but that'd all depend on money/if I have an epiphany for an amazing concept art.

What state do you live in?

Also calling something "gay-ass tribal" is completely ignorant. Tribal can be extremely beautiful if done correctly, I'd actually say that tribal is one of the most difficult forms of tattooing to master. There is a lot more to it then wavy lines and heavy black fills.

I live in Virginia.

And I made that comment in no way trying to be ignorant, I respect the art of nearly every tattoo done, whether I like the design or not, however, I feel tribal is a very overly-done style of tattoo and people rarely get it as a result of trying to convey some kind of meaning (not to generalize or anything, but the general public with tribal tattoos tend to be largely ripped males who can't keep their shirts on).

So, my taste for tribal is...more upheld than other styles, to say the least.

I live in Virginia.

And I made that comment in no way trying to be ignorant, I respect the art of nearly every tattoo done, whether I like the design or not, however, I feel tribal is a very overly-done style of tattoo and people rarely get it as a result of trying to convey some kind of meaning (not to generalize or anything, but the general public with tribal tattoos tend to be largely ripped males who can't keep their shirts on).

So, my taste for tribal is...more upheld than other styles, to say the least.

Who says a tattoo has to mean anything? Certainly no tattoo artist I've ever talked to. Why can't it just be appreciated on its own, like any other art form?

Anyway, good job on dismissing an entire style of tattoing that is thousands of years old on the basis that "you've seen a few ripped dudes with tribals".

2009rb9.jpg

I think the concept of tattoos having to mean something is stupid. Also, I completely agree with underage people being prohibited from getting tattoos.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I've never once gone "oh that horribly disfigured blob you had tattooed on yourself in your friend's kitchen for a fiver is now magically no longer a horribly disfigured blob because you just relayed to me the essay on the Meaning Behind It". A shitty tattoo is always a shitty tattoo.

Not that you necessarily should tell someone their tattoo sucks, mind you.

2009rb9.jpg

You guys are missing my point.

I have nothing against the style, as I said earlier. But just as different ART styles or FASHION styles can be (and at times are) overdone, the same happens with everything (tattoo'ing being included), and I personally see tribal as one of those overdone areas (though other people may think that knuckle typography is overdone or octopi or whatever, this is a personal view nothing else).

Now to a second point, I would argue against you that art doesn't need/always have meaning, I personally feel all art has a reason, whether at that time you know it or the artist knows it, well that's unsure, but everything has meaning behind it.

Personally, I just prefer the idea of getting something meaningful on my body, and that happens to be something that has some kind of reasoning behind it (whether personally to me or whatever).

Though, mind me, this does not mean it shall always be this case.

I apologize if I happened to offend anyone, I was in no way trying to do so.

You guys are missing my point.

I have nothing against the style, as I said earlier. But just as different ART styles or FASHION styles can be (and at times are) overdone, the same happens with everything (tattoo'ing being included), and I personally see tribal as one of those overdone areas (though other people may think that knuckle typography is overdone or octopi or whatever, this is a personal view nothing else).

Now to a second point, I would argue against you that art doesn't need/always have meaning, I personally feel all art has a reason, whether at that time you know it or the artist knows it, well that's unsure, but everything has meaning behind it.

Personally, I just prefer the idea of getting something meaningful on my body, and that happens to be something that has some kind of reasoning behind it (whether personally to me or whatever).

Though, mind me, this does not mean it shall always be this case.

I apologize if I happened to offend anyone, I was in no way trying to do so.

It's not that you offended, it's the fact you were rather snarky about the way you stated your opinion. You can argue all you want against the ideology that a tattoo should mean something. To that I say, I got my Vader tattoo because it's badass and I like Star Wars. Though, none of us ever said tattoo's/art always don't have a meaning, of course they do otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Sure at the most simple level the tattoo will ALWAYS mean something to the person. However, the idea of a tattoo having a profound backstory to the person that myself and Azvy speak of is more this deep thought out pensive revelation and it's completely unnecessary to have if you're getting a tattoo unless it's something you want. We're not saying it's dumb to have a meaning behind your tattoo; do not take it that way at all. I have tattoo's that have a more profound meaning than meets the eye, the point myself and I'm sure Azvy is trying to make is that you don't have to "get" art to see the piece is beautiful. He's exactly right, a shitty tattoo will always be a shitty tattoo regardless of meaning. Think of it like dating, what's your first attraction to a person? Looks, always looks (and anyone that says otherwise is full of it). A good tattoo whether it has meaning or not will garner the adoration of people regardless of what it means.

Also you can't say you have nothing against the style when you used the term "gay-ass" to describe it. Say what you will about Tribal being overdone, you could say that tattoo's in GENERAL are becoming overdone due to reality shows like Ink Master, Miami Ink, etc. The ONE BIT OF GOOD they indirectly did is they opened up acceptance of tattoo's slightly more. Although, I believe the same progress could have been made on our own as a tattooed society. The harm they did to the image of tattooing is far greater than any good. They perpetuate this idea that tattoo artists are rock stars and live the high life, all the while being drama queens that no one can get along with. Which let me tell you is a bullshit, I've met some of the most talented and coolest tattoo artists you'd ever have the pleasure of meeting and they struggle, everyday they struggle. These are the type of artists that make Kat Von D and the like look like they're children with a box of crayola's that can't stay in the lines. And me, you, and anyone that wants a tattoo now, anyone that has seen these shows has some sort of thought in the back of their brain because of these shows that 99% of tattooed folks battled back from some sort of drug addiction.

• Like 1

Absolutely. My point wasn't that having a tattoo with a backstory is dumb, not at all - rather that it really doesn't matter in the end; a turd will always be a turd regardless of the circumstances behind its inception etc. And like Vertigo said, to someone who appreciates tattoos as an art form, their pieces will always have meaning and some sort of reasoning behind them, but that meaning and reasoning usually don't stretch much further than "I really like the motif" or "it's hilarious seriously look at the lil' piggy". And whether you like it or not those reasons are literally just as viable as a tattoo that pays homage to a loved one, or to a special moment in a person's life.

• Like 1

2009rb9.jpg

I agree with all said.

Now continue with the tattoo discussions. Haha. smile.gif

Much like Vertigo this is sadly the most exciting action this thread has seen in half a year.

2009rb9.jpg

I agree with all said.

Now continue with the tattoo discussions. Haha. smile.gif

Much like Vertigo this is sadly the most exciting action this thread has seen in half a year.

I'm glad I could throw in some 'action'. ;)

Everyone should go make The Library a lively place, its so dead. :cry:

It's never been outright stated but myself and I'm sure Azvy are definitely willing to share our knowledge with you guys about this industry. We're both deeply interested and involved in it, and if you have any questions just ask us. Whether it be about healing, pain, how to find a reputable studio, etc. We both love sharing the things we know about this world and would love to educate anyone that has any questions; so don't be afraid to ask.

• 1 month later...

2w66ulj.jpg

So my artist went in this weekend and started putting in Yoda, did a small 3 hour session on him. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say I got 2-3 more 3-ish hour sessions before this is finished. So hopefully before the New Year we call it a wrap and have it finished so it's allowed proper time to heal before the tattoo expo in February.