Tattoo general

monaliza

I have never ever seen any tatoo that I like.

No offence, but for me, tattoos and piercings bring up strong association with "white trailer park trash". I fail to see the beauty of mutilating the skin and various "cartilage rich" areas of the body. Some of my friend have tattoos (and they are not trailer park trash, for the record) but I don't see the beauty of it. A female friend of mine has a tattoo all over her back, some parts are done with the ashed of het late mother... Though I see her point, it is just not for me.

On the other side, respect to all of you sitting in a chair "under the needle" for 16 hours of pain. You MUST be dedicated to have that tattoo, else you wouldn't find the courage/guts to get it in the first place.

Tattoos on women are an even more turn-off for me, especially sleeves, "arse antlers" (lower back tribal) or any other form of "tramp stamp".

No offense or anything, but it really sounds as though you've only seen a bunch of drunken tattoos made in someone's kitchen, and not many actual good tattoos from people like Jeff Gogue, Thomas Hooper, Vincent Hocquet, Grime, etc. etc. Essentially tattooists who's studied the craft for decades, has a love for the work they do and actually Know What They're Doing. Good tattoos are art. But instead of hanging it on your wall you carve it onto your body where it'll stay for as long as you live. I think that's pretty beautiful.

That might've come off more pretentious than intended, but understand that there's more to tattoos than wonky tribals and butterflies.

2009rb9.jpg

Unfortunately I think the majority of tattoos end up being done by sub-par artists and look tacky. But I certainly have seen some very nice ones.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

That might've come off more pretentious than intended, but understand that there's more to tattoos than wonky tribals and butterflies.

As someone with a bunch of butterfly tattoos, I'd rather not hear such a condescending tone. Of course, they're quite wide spread as flash - but some are quite beautifully inked and designed. But hey, to each their own.

I found a panda and then we bought malt liquor. I hold my malt liquor better than a panda.

And I thought my weekends were good. ._.

As someone with a bunch of butterfly tattoos, I'd rather not hear such a condescending tone. Of course, they're quite wide spread as flash - but some are quite beautifully inked and designed. But hey, to each their own.

I think he means like the MAJOR over-used tattoo's like tribals and (as I call) "gangsta" quotes on men, and butterflies on women's ankles. Defo' alot of good ones out there of those genres, but the genre itself is overused.

Popoto.~<3

There are impressive butterfly tattoos out there, just as there are impressive tribal tattoos. But most of them aren't.

I've seen way more uninspired and boring-looking butterfly and tribal tattoos than I have, say, gypsy lady tattoos or anchors... hence why I used those as an example.

2009rb9.jpg

Unfortunately I think the majority of tattoos end up being done by sub-par artists and look tacky. But I certainly have seen some very nice ones.

I agree with this. People think "Ooh a skull with tribal around it, that looks cool. Let me go get it done as cheap as possible and save my money for something different."

I would much rather spend my time thinking/drawing/working on a tattoo with alot of meaning and value to me, and save money up, and pay out the woohang to get a tattoo done right. Sure, it takes longer and would definitely cost more to get it done by a professional, but this is something that will be there forever.. These people that get tattoos just to look cool.. It's dumb.

Like this: Tribal sleeve done to look cool. --------- VS ---------- Tribal sleeve done for a purpose:

Tattoos+tribal+sleeve.jpg0805_lrap_10_z+goethe_tattoos+tribal_design.jpg

Untitled_zpsrs1nv3dr.pnginstabadge_zps761d5351.png

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

Meh, this whole mentality that a tattoo has to mean something or it's for some reason not A Good Tattoo is so silly, and shows like Miami Ink and its ilk probably strengthened this ridiculous mentality even more. I have 6 or so tattoos planned that mean absolutely nothing to me, except the fact that I like the aesthetics of them and/or they amuse me... or (gasp) I think they look cool. One thing that annoys me is when people cram a thousand different meanings into the same tattoo, as I have yet to seen one of those that actually look good and not like a poorly-planned mishmash of different styles and themes. They tend to decide that spending as little money on something that's permanently carved onto your body is a good idea as well.

Both of those tribals you posted are done well. The one on the left follows the lines of the body and muscles really well and the lines are straight. I cringe when I see it because to me it's a huge waste of space - but it's a well made piece regardless.

edit: Case in point, my friend's tattoo. Has zero meaning but definitely one of my favourite shoulder-pieces.

[hide]

24edw5v.jpg

[/hide]

2009rb9.jpg

It's the case the majority of the time. If you do have a good tattoo without a meaning then you're helping cure the problem.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

They tend to decide that spending as little money on something that's permanently carved onto your body is a good idea as well.

This is something I'll never understand. A friend of mine got a tattoo at the start of the summer. At first he took it dead serious, done some research on the different studios about here and pieces their artists had done before and had a list of very rough estimates as to how long it'd take and how much it would cost then after all that, he chose to go with the place that would do it for the cheapest price as he couldn't afford to get it done in some of the more reputable (and more expensive) shops. I'd have waited until I had the cash together to get it done in the best place possible, even if it did end up costing more.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I have never ever seen any tatoo that I like.

No offence, but for me, tattoos and piercings bring up strong association with "white trailer park trash". I fail to see the beauty of mutilating the skin and various "cartilage rich" areas of the body. Some of my friend have tattoos (and they are not trailer park trash, for the record) but I don't see the beauty of it. A female friend of mine has a tattoo all over her back, some parts are done with the ashed of het late mother... Though I see her point, it is just not for me.

On the other side, respect to all of you sitting in a chair "under the needle" for 16 hours of pain. You MUST be dedicated to have that tattoo, else you wouldn't find the courage/guts to get it in the first place.

Tattoos on women are an even more turn-off for me, especially sleeves, "arse antlers" (lower back tribal) or any other form of "tramp stamp".

No offense or anything, but it really sounds as though you've only seen a bunch of drunken tattoos made in someone's kitchen, and not many actual good tattoos from people like Jeff Gogue, Thomas Hooper, Vincent Hocquet, Grime, etc. etc. Essentially tattooists who's studied the craft for decades, has a love for the work they do and actually Know What They're Doing. Good tattoos are art. But instead of hanging it on your wall you carve it onto your body where it'll stay for as long as you live. I think that's pretty beautiful.

Though I have to admit that they'd count as art, that doesn't mean I like them. Plus, when I become bored of my "wall art" I can replace it. "Replacing" a tattoo is a completely different story. Though not impossible, it's hard/painfull/expensive.

As stated in many posts regarding taste: to each his own.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this pretty neat piece of art, in my opinion. Thought I'd share it. Love the colors.

tumblr_lsbkpkEx5f1qbz3t6o1_400.jpg

That is beautiful, but it almost makes his arm look bruised 24/7. Chances are, it will be unidentifiable once begets wrinkly too....

What I really shun about tattoos are names. I think you should only get a persons name as a tatt is

1. They are dead (Dead friend, spouse, child, partner)

2. It's a family member (Yes mom or something)

Those are the only two reasons in my book you should do that. If you get your girlfriends name, and in 6 months she breaks up with you though [cabbage].

I'm still working on mine, going parlour to parlour always improving my sketches for it.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

I'm still working on mine, going parlour to parlour always improving my sketches for it.

Hm what do you mean exactly? Do you go to one parlour, get them to sketch it up for you, take said sketch, go to another parlour and have them tweak it? Sounds like that'd just become some sort of mish-mash of different styles. Not hatin', just don't understand the point of it. If you go to a good tattooist whose work you really like you shouldn't have to visit another tattooist with that sketch. If you're not a fan of the initial sketch, have the tattooist tweak it. I probably misunderstood though.

Also Ondrash is amazing. If I had one extra arm I'd totally give him complete artistic freedom to do whatever he wants on it.

2009rb9.jpg

Hm what do you mean exactly? Do you go to one parlour, get them to sketch it up for you, take said sketch, go to another parlour and have them tweak it? Sounds like that'd just become some sort of mish-mash of different styles. Not hatin', just don't understand the point of it. If you go to a good tattooist whose work you really like you shouldn't have to visit another tattooist with that sketch. If you're not a fan of the initial sketch, have the tattooist tweak it. I probably misunderstood though.

Also Ondrash is amazing. If I had one extra arm I'd totally give him complete artistic freedom to do whatever he wants on it.

I tell them the idea, they draw the idea. I take what I like and add to my sketch, they never see my sketch at all. It's only been four though, once I am satisfied with my sketch I will show it to the one I think is best and see if he/she would do the tattoo. I just don't want to enter the first parlour I see and get it there, I am sampling people's style and whoever style I use the most in my sketch is the winner.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

What about scarring? Has anyone ever considered doing that?

I watched a special on TV about different rituals around the world, and in a country in Africa to become a man you must endure scarring. If granted permission I would honestly considering getting this.

Eh I couldn't find a good picture. Bear in mind they are not done professionally. They are done with a small blade, no aesthetics, and are fairly brutal looking. I would never get it done to the extent they do but perhaps a small area on my back.

Thoughts?

Also on the tattoo subject, I was thinking for my next tattoo of getting a claw scratch on my ribs but with a number of colors 'illuminating' it. Thoughts also?

1251842664adamantdragonsignature.png

What about scarring? Has anyone ever considered doing that?

I watched a special on TV about different rituals around the world, and in a country in Africa to become a man you must endure scarring. If granted permission I would honestly considering getting this.

Eh I couldn't find a good picture. Bear in mind they are not done professionally. They are done with a small blade, no aesthetics, and are fairly brutal looking. I would never get it done to the extent they do but perhaps a small area on my back.

Thoughts?

Also on the tattoo subject, I was thinking for my next tattoo of getting a claw scratch on my ribs but with a number of colors 'illuminating' it. Thoughts also?

Personally don't see the artistic merit in scarring, and it looks kinda gross. But then again I haven't seen a lot of them. If you're having it done though, see a professional. Infections are bad for you.

Also do you mean this type of "scratch"?

[hide]

cool-spiderman-chest-tattoo.jpg

[/hide]

Was very popular a few years ago. I'm personally not a fan as I think they mostly just come off gimmicky and silly. Even the ones that are well-made like the one above. Sounds like yours could be a bit more tasteful though. Got a sketch?

2009rb9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh have I mentioned how much I love Jeff Gogue's work yet? Some of the new stuff he's posted is incredible.

[hide]

GLHX1.jpg

itpgH.jpg

[/hide]

The colouring on that orange skull in the bottom is unreal.

2009rb9.jpg

Scarring is a painful, unnessesary and a violation of the body in my opinion.

Your ability to withstand your body being mutilated has absolutely NOTHING to do with becoming a man, not to mention the hindrance you'll have from scar tissue, the brutal look of a maimed body, and the healing issues (infection etc).

Also, if you like the ritual and what it represents, there is no point in doing it on "a small portion". You either do the ritual, or you don't. It would seem that you are only part of a man if you'd do it on a small piece of your body.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

• 4 months later...

I see this thread has been dead since October, and I'm just going to make a post on my thoughts about tattoos in hopes of maybe bringing a little bit of life to the thread.

First let me state, what is about to be written is my sole opinion and not to be mistaken for fact.

I got my first tattoo when I was 15, and if any of you kids are reading this thread I urge you to wait. All the tattoos I got from the time I was 15 to 18 were typical tribal and I wouldn't say I regret them it's just I definitely didn't grow up to still be that person. My father is/was very into the tribal ordeal, and idolizing my father I wanted the same style. Right now I'm in the process of working on cover-ups for all but one of the tattoos from that time period. So I urge you to wait until you're AT LEAST 18 and possibly even longer to see the type of person you're really going to be.

Moving on I will say, I love my tattoos. Especially my latest work by an artist in my local area. If you're THAT MUCH into tattoos, don't limit yourself to one artist. I'm saving plenty of room and have made myself a sort of Tattoo Artist Bucket List. This is a list of artists I want to have a tattoo done by before I die.

My list includes the likes of:

Bob Tyrrell (Detroit, MI)

Nikko Hurtado (Hesperia, CA)

Mike DeVries (Northridge, CA)

Cecil Porter (Murrieta, CA)

Paul Ackers (Philadelphia, PA)

Jesse Smith (Richmond, VA)

Frank La Natra (Fort Lauderdale, FL)

Bili Vegas (New York, New York)

Tattoos are my addiction, the one place I find solitude and peace. There's nothing more relaxing and pleasant to me then spending a day at the shop, getting a tattoo and joking with the guys. This shop I've gone to for the past year, has become a lot like my family. My artist, just isn't my artist he's also a good friend. I came to a point in my life with getting tattoos, that I was done sinking hours and days into thinking of what the tattoo should be and what it should mean. I decided a few years ago, that I just want the tattoo to be beautiful, for it to be something I can be proud of. This however is my personal opinion on the tattoos I want.

I've never for a second doubted if I should continue getting more tattoos. I've always seen my perfect body as one covered in tattoos. This may not be the case for everyone and I'm sure it's not. However, what I hope for is understanding from the individuals whom are not tattooed or not heavily. My artist once said to me, "The difference between tattooed folk and non-tattooed folk, is tattooed folk don't give a crap that you are not tattooed." Don't get me wrong, us tattooed folk can be judgmental to the bone on how well a tattoo is done. Though you have to consider, what a "good tattoo" is. Azvareth is more into the neo-traditional old school type tattoos; where I am in to the much more realistic and colorful tattoos. There can still be an appreciation for tattoos no matter what style you prefer.

Which brings me to my next point, who cares how much your tattoo cost? You're not going to impress me more or less by saying, "It only cost X dollars." A lot of the time if it only cost X dollars, it'll look like it only cost that amount. Leave the amount of money you paid for the tattoo out of it, and let me judge the tattoo for what it is. A bad tattoo doesn't become great because it only cost 20 dollars, a great tattoo doesn't become bad because it only cost 20 dollars. The one thing you can almost always be sure of is the more money you spend the better tattoo you'll PROBABLY get. However, how good of a tattoo you get is up to you. I researched for literally DAYS for a tattoo artist to handle my Sylvia Ji Sugar Skull piece. I ended up finding my artist an hour and a half drive from me. That's not a ridiculous drive but when I get a tattoo done now, I make a day out of it. A good artist is worth the travel.

What I finally want to touch on is tattoo slang. It's not a tattoo GUN, it's a tattoo MACHINE. It's not tatted, tat, ink, inked, poked; it's a tattoo. Call it by it's proper name, some people may feel that the tattoo world is somehow unprofessional so slang is in some way acceptable. It's not acceptable by any means, use the proper terms and your tattoo artist will think much more highly of you; I can promise you that.

I'm going to cap this off with a few shots of my tattoos. I hope this enlightened some of you and you find joy in whatever tattoos you get.

Sylvia Ji Sugar Skull

x58rkm.jpg

My Dogs

4kjupk.jpg

Zombie Audrey Hepburn

vjt4n.jpg

Gizmo and Stripe

v4a54z.jpg

Skull Clint Eastwood

6hks9w.jpg

-snip-

Great post.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. What I always respond to people asking if I'm not worried I'll regret my current tattoo (as well as my future ones) in 20 years, is that no, I probably I won't. I mean yeah, I will undoubtedly regret some of them, but I figure that's more or less a statistic fact given that I currently have around 12 tattoo ideas planned. But I'm not worried about it. Because I know each one will be done well and by good artists; so while I might think some of the motifs are silly or don't have much of that ever-so overemphasized "sentimental value" after 25 odd years, I will always at least appreciate their aestethic value and the craftsmanship behind them.

What I've noticed the most from people who regret their tattoos is that they usually got them made for the wrong reasons - or they didn't look into the different styles that exist... or how intricately detailed, vibrant and beautiful tattoos actually can be... or, like you pointed out, they weren't mature enough and got something badly done that they can't stand for later on. This will sound really pretentious but I think the key ingredient to staying happy with your tattoos ~your whole life~ is that you've gotta appreciate tattoos as an art form. Sorry, but the sentimental value of your piece is very likely to fade over the years, after which you're stuck with an uninspired CARPE DIEM on your chest, or your last name in calligraphic letters covering your entire arm. Of course you're going to regret that. Just spend time and do research beforehand, look at the wide array of different tattoo styles there are; look at good artists and their work; what makes their tattoos good and this other artist's work bad. Look into the important figures like Sailor Jerry, Mike Malone, Ed Hardy etc. and what they did and accomplished. It's really fascinating stuff. Don't look at tattooists like Kat von D or Ami James and think that this is what it's all about. And jesus christ stay away from kitchen scratchers.

Anyway, enough lecturing. I don't really have a bucket list per se. I've got a few artists both here in Sweden and overseas that I'd love to have work done by. Personally a big, big fan of BigFatJoe over at Porky Royale Tattoo, Erik Lööf at Stockholm Classic Tattoo, Jeppe at East Street Tattoo. Overseas I absolutely love Mike Adams's stuff (US), I also really dig Miss Arianna (Italy), Jeff Gogue (US), Ondrash Konupčík (Czech Republic), Sa Jin (South Korea) and Thomas Hooper (UK). I'd die a happy man having at least one piece done by any of the overseas people (cuz I'm not big on travelin' yo).

The above artists could really do whatever the hell they wanted on me. But mostly I'm gonna go about it in the way of: have kickin' rad tattoo idea -> find artist that can interprate said idea well and make it their own thing, also make it awesome.

Btw, you might like Kelly Doty's work. She works from a parlour in Massachusetts. Not something I'd have done on myself personally but her style is so original and her attention to colours is absolutely mindblowing. While on the topic of appreciating different styles, it's so true. I think your tattoos that I've seen are great, but I don't see myself ever having any realistic/portait style stuff done on myself (except maybe the zombie Hepburn piece because that shit is brilliant). Same goes for a vast majority of my friends who's got tattoos, I can admire the hell out of the work but they're just usually not my style (e.g. lots of Asian stuff).

Once again, a very good resurrection post. And hopefully this could spark up some interesting discussion!

2009rb9.jpg