Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

China > America

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Xie
[ Display Name History ]

Xie

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • Clan:DGS

Discuss.

Gary346
[ Display Name History ]

Gary346

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
This is a serious problem, but i think we'd nuke their asses before we work for them. :\
Gary, defender of Truth, Justice and the American Dream.

Vote Palin 2012

Xie
[ Display Name History ]

Xie

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • Clan:DGS

This is a serious problem, but i think we'd nuke their asses before we work for them. :\

Why would you want to kill innocent people?

Gary346
[ Display Name History ]

Gary346

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

I don't. But i think that the American gov't would rather use violence to prevent us from being owned by China.
Gary, defender of Truth, Justice and the American Dream.

Vote Palin 2012

Napalm
[ Display Name History ]

Napalm

Scarier than Haunter

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I don't. But i think that the American gov't would rather use violence to prevent us from being owned by China.

And how do you think other countries would respond to America nuking China because "We borrowed money and now we don't want to pay it back"? They wouldn't just sit around and say "oh, look, explosions! Pretty!", you know? America would be in deep [cabbage] if they used a nuke nowadays.
Posted Image

Blankblankblank
[ Display Name History ]

Blankblankblank

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Lol....

Pinkbullet3
[ Display Name History ]

Pinkbullet3

Bite Me!

• Members
  • 3,878 posts
A few years from now the U.S. will be working for China? Where's most of the manufacturing done these days? Does it seem like the tides will turn any time soon to you?

Either way, it's best to learn from the Chinese than to take advantage of them. Also, what Legend said.
Posted Image
^ Blog.

Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
I'm not going to be worried about China, especially when it has its short-sighted and barbaric population controls, disproportionate male-to-female ratio (arguably as a result of population controls), and lack of basic civil rights such as free speech.

At this point in time, China doesn't want the U.S. to fail, because if it did they'd be short-changed.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
Seems quite ironic for an American trailer to say that really, considering most of the British Empire was actually sold off to (you guessed it) the US to pay for the Second World War. Don't recall the Greeks ever being the victim of a trade imbalance during a global financial recession either, though my studies on Greece only ever extended to public health and Hippocrates. I'm lead to believe it was warring city states and inherent instability that killed the Greeks, and overexpansion that killed the Roman Empire. So really, America would be the first 'empire' to fall at the hands of government spending, not the fourth, from my perspective at least.

(Sidenote: By the way, if Americans think your government spends a lot of money by GDP compared to most other countries then... this debate ends right here)

I remember that trailer being shown as part of a feature on modern Chinese students' attitudes towards the US and their own country's place in the world on Newsnight (UK, not the US version). I'm trying to find a video but if I recall correctly only one out of five of them was openly extrovert about being proud of that trailer--they were more focused on what students around the world care about, namely careers. A few were even considering looking for employment in America. The masses of Chinese students laughing at the US doesn't seem to exist in reality, but as appeal to fear fallacies go, it's a pretty good one.

Personally, I think the US 'empire' will fall in the future, but as an inherent flaw of capitalism (in that for capitalism to work, there must be capitalisation in order to acquire more capital for generating profit, and eventually there won't be anything left to capitalise), but China will be just as much a victim of that as anyone, considering the Western capitalist world essentially buys all their products, save for a few dodgy regimes buying small arms in sub-Saharan Africa.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
I find it laughable that people actually think China has the capability to be the next superpower.

Firstly - they are just as economically dependent on the US as vice versa.
Secondly - their barbaric population controls will make it impossible for their economy to flourish enough to give them any sort of hope for economic stability in the long term.

Though, the US does have a serious debt problem which of course merits looking at. Of course, so do most countries.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts
It's an ad meant to scare people so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Sure China will become the next superpower, but exactly for the reasons Y_Guy stated, I don't see them doing anything detrimental to the US or even the UK.

j0xPu5R.png

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

But not by a nuke, that's just stupid. :razz: There will be some sort of mass 'revolution' in China instead.

(Backed by the US if you haven't caught on)
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

Arcantica
[ Display Name History ]

Arcantica

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 212 posts
Chinese food sure does own American anyways.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
Good joke, OP.

TANSTAAFL

Mr_Adam
[ Display Name History ]

Mr_Adam

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • RSN:admant45
I thought the video was funny.

But yes, we do seem to be in a debt probrem. I don't follow politics enough though, so I won't try and sound smart >_>

michel555555
[ Display Name History ]

michel555555

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • RSN:michel555555
  • Clan:fealty stars
Why do people think that the US will never fall from being a super power? Lets do a quick test. Name one thing that is actually still made in the US. Missles ect come to mind but if there are no wars to fight who will actually buy them? The only thing that i've seen in a long while with a made in the US sign was a pen. Sure they have some oil exports from the gulf of mexico but that took a nose dive after the bp explosion. And even with all of their oil production they still have to buy most of their oil from other countries.

In canada right now, especially in alberta, they way we get our oil is we sell our crude oil to the US to refine, then they sell it back to us for a great proffit. Guess what? Alberta is making its own refinery now and when that goes up a great part of canada won't need to buy any oil from the US.

Don't forget that the US is now engaged in several wars around the world, their supplying arms for virtually free to isreal, doing multiple drone attacks into pakistan, ground wars in both afghanistan and iraq, enforcing the no fly zone in libya now, whcih the US just volunteered nato to be the sole enforcer of that. Where do you think all the money for all of this will come from?

tldr- US isn't exporting anything anymore and is slowly going bankrupt. China might not be the next super power but the US is going down.

michel555555.png

click you know you wanna

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

tldr- US isn't exporting anything anymore and is slowly going bankrupt. China might not be the next super power but the US is going down.

Last year America exported about $1.3 trillion in goods...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

michel555555
[ Display Name History ]

michel555555

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Last year America exported about $1.3 trillion in goods...

and imported?

michel555555.png

click you know you wanna

Lenticular_J
[ Display Name History ]

Lenticular_J

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Name one thing that is actually still made in the US.

The United States of America is the fourth-largest exporter of goods and services in the world, although our GDP eclipses rivals such as China and the entire European Union, showing that we consume many of our goods and services in-country. We also import more than the rest of the world, mainly due to our labor being some of the most highly-valued in the world. American-made clothing, automobile, and raw material sales are increasing overseas. For a long time, we've been the largest exporter of computer materials. Japan exceeds us there in some ways, but Microsoft and Apple are two American corporations which have held the markets in an iron grip for a long time. American crops and livestock feed a massive part of the Western world. Goods I have personal experience with: American cotton (West Texas is the biggest competitor of China and India in cotton production), natural gas (currently heats the majority of many communities in the Western states), corn (used as food, livestock feed, and heavily subsidized as ethanol), alfalfa (livestock and ethanol), hay (livestock), and petroleum products (mostly high-grade fuels, asphalt, greases).

And even with all of their oil production they still have to buy most of their oil from other countries.

Yeah, we do. We're huge, remember? By percentage, we produce a massive amount of our oil - we import roughly 60% I believe, almost all petroleum. We only recently surpassed Canada in our imports, and plenty of other nations imported more by percent.

Don't forget that the US is now engaged in several wars around the world, their supplying arms for virtually free to isreal, doing multiple drone attacks into pakistan, ground wars in both afghanistan and iraq, enforcing the no fly zone in libya now, whcih the US just volunteered nato to be the sole enforcer of that. Where do you think all the money for all of this will come from?

Wars stimulate production, although our economy is predominantly service. We have troops across the world. Bond sales and taxes pay for it all, same way things have been payed for since WWI.

We export a whole lot. We have some of the most powerful banks in the world - our dollar (backed by nothing more than our government's word that it's a good currency) has held a high position in currency exchanges for centuries. I'd ask what you mean by going down, but as I've noted, you aren't the most educated on economics or world politics. Please fix that.

EDIT: Oh, wait, here's more!

and imported?

Last I checked, our trade deficit was around $700 billion.
MATT DAMON AND MONEY.
catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

michel555555
[ Display Name History ]

michel555555

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

We export a whole lot. We have some of the most powerful banks in the world - our dollar (backed by nothing more than our government's word that it's a good currency) has held a high position in currency exchanges for centuries. I'd ask what you mean by going down, but as I've noted, you aren't the most educated on economics or world politics. Please fix that.

You import a lot more then you export.
http://en.wikipedia....rnational_trade
Ya its wiki but having a hard time finding anything els and only covers for 2008.

In 2008, the total U.S. trade deficit was $695.9 billion,[105] which is $1.8 trillion in exports minus $2.5 trillion in imports.[106] The deficit on petroleum products was $386.3 billion.[107] The trade deficit with China was $266.3 billion, a new record and up from $304 million in 1983.[108] The United States had a $144.1 billion surplus on trade in services, and $821.2 billion deficit on trade in goods in 2008.[109]

And that doesn't count any aid that the US gives to other countries.

(backed by nothing more than our government's word that it's a good currency)

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assets to back it up.

michel555555.png

click you know you wanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users