TIF is bit over-moderated

What do people think about limiting where mods have mod powers based on whether they are active in RS or not.

For example retired mods would not have mod powers in H&A or Metagaming as they no longer possess the knowledge to effectively mod them.

Inappropriate or irrelevant material posted in the subforums you mentioned may still be rulebreaking, regardless of the validity of the advice given. Flamebait and trolling would not be acceptable in any of Tip.It's subforums (although the enforcement of the rules may be more lax on some, such as Forum Games)

However, if a debate emerges about something like CLS vs CR, then I think you're right, and they shouldn't moderate posts based on their personal views, as they are unlikely to know enough to effectively moderate the subforums. I think I partly agree with you, perhaps the moderators would agree and work out a system where that is possible.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do people think about limiting where mods have mod powers based on whether they are active in RS or not.

For example retired mods would not have mod powers in H&A or Metagaming as they no longer possess the knowledge to effectively mod them.

They don't mod bad advice, so Help & Advice is fine the way it is.

Perhaps there should be different mods modding areas such as the metagaming forums that are more active in the game though, I do agree. However, just understand that global moderators have powers regardless of this. This is mainly due to spam bots or people posting serious stuff that the main moderators can't get to in time.

That's why Global Moderators have powers in the clan boards even though the majority of them aren't in a clan.

j0xPu5R.png

Inappropriate or irrelevant material posted in the subforums you mentioned may still be rulebreaking, regardless of the validity of the advice given. Flamebait and trolling would not be acceptable in any of Tip.It's subforums (although the enforcement of the rules may be more lax on some, such as Forum Games)

However, if a debate emerges about something like CLS vs CR, then I think you're right, and they shouldn't moderate posts based on their personal views, as they are unlikely to know enough to effectively moderate the subforums. I think I partly agree with you, perhaps the moderators would agree and work out a system where that is possible.

I definitely understand where the idea is coming from, that you feel moderators who are retired aren't capable of dealing with some issues, but we don't need to exclude mods from certain areas to make things work. Whether or not they take action on a post or wait for another moderator is up to the individual. More likely than not, a moderator won't need Runescape experience to deal with an issue. If an issue is flaming, trolling, spamming... none of that needs to be dealt with by an experienced Runescape player. Moderators never moderate posts based on their views, they moderate based on the rules. If a mod is unsure whether or not something breaks the rules, including the ones in H&A & Metagaming, they'll ask for other moderators to help. Many times I've seen a report for Metagaming and, since I don't have an idea, I get input from a mod who does.

Just because you see a moderator who's retired from RS dealing with an issue doesn't mean that they're the only one behind the action or that they don't know what they're doing.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'm just pointing out that if mods were more... focused... then the few mods who actually understand the current metagame would be able to better focus their expertise into the areas they are most needed in. From what I've heard via Kimberly, the majority of TIF mods are retired.

I'm just suggesting that retired mods who don't understand current content shouldn't take action on said content as mods. There is no way a retired mod could tell trolling from non-trolling on a number of topics.

I mean, can you honestly tell me Rach that you could adequatly tell the difference between trolling/flaming versus constructive criticism versus someone who is just being a bit negative but whose posts are 100% correct on a thread about Nexing strategies? Or even any higher leveled discussion.

Edit: I'm just saying I would love to see a framework for restricting mods to their areas of expertise.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

We are always sure to consult the active ingame moderators when taking action on something such as that that we don't understand.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

We are always sure to consult the active ingame moderators when taking action on something such as that that we don't understand.

Well, something that is more controlled are regular board moderators. Not global or super moderators. Those who are more experienced can be assigned directly to the board.

j0xPu5R.png

Doesn't matter, even active ingame mods often won't know much about engame activities if they have low ingame levels.

Edit: I'm a user on these forums, I've tried to be civil as much as possible. Please avoid lying to me. I know that not all mods are always sure to consult before taking action. That is false.

PM me in game anytime

Doesn't matter, even active ingame mods often won't know much about engame activities if they have low ingame levels.

Edit: I'm a user on these forums, I've tried to be civil as much as possible. Please avoid lying to me. I know that not all mods are always sure to consult before taking action. That is false.

The report interface features a posting interface for moderators able to discuss the report right in the report center. It's not like they PM someone on IRC or something. Each and every mod who can see the reports on a particular board can and will voice their opinions on it I'm sure.

j0xPu5R.png

I can think of one or two occasions off the top of my head when this has not been done, and I admit that was a mistake on our part. Doing this is our SOP and it happens almost on every occasion.

polvCwJ.gif

I'm going off experience okay? So obviously if others and myself feel that this is a problem, the current systems in place are not working. I'm sorry if this is sounding harsh, I hope some more reasonable people on the staff will read my posts.

Edit: Sorry Y_Guy, I hadn't seen your post.

PM me in game anytime

There is a requirement for crewbies to hold good background knowledge about RuneScape and I agree with that since their role is primarily focused around in-game content and documenting this on the main website.

Moderators have a different role within the Tip.It staff. People skills and dispute resolution are more relevant to their roles than in-game experience. If they're good at the former, then it makes no sense to look past those talents because they don't happen to play RuneScape any more.

There is a requirement for crewbies to hold good background knowledge about RuneScape and I agree with that since their role is primarily focused around in-game content and documenting this on the main website.

Moderators have a different role within the Tip.It staff. People skills and dispute resolution are more relevant to their roles than in-game experience. If they're good at the former, then it makes no sense to look past those talents because they don't happen to play RuneScape any more.

This post sums it up quite nicely. While we value active, high level RS experience in choosing staff members, just because someone doesn't have it doesn't mean they won't be a good moderator. By extension, of course, this works the opposite way; just because someone is extremely knowledgeable about RS doesn't mean they'll make a good moderator. In a perfect world you'd always be able to have both but this isn't always the case.

For example, I almost never deal with reports from gen, or H&A, or metagame unless there's an obvious infraction, because I accept the fact that in many cases I no longer have the knowledge of the game to properly understand the situation. In that case I defer to someone else who is in a better position to pass judgement on the issue.

polvCwJ.gif

If they're good at the former, then it makes no sense to look past those talents because they don't happen to play RuneScape any more.

Please justify this taking into consideration content heavy boards such as metagaming and H&A.

Edit: Y_Guy, I understand this may apply for you, but not all mods are as sensible as you are. Wouldn't it be a good idea to recruit more mods who are in touch with current, high-level content and have them focus on content while other mods who know less about those things can focus in other areas.

I mean to put an actual official policy in place to stop certain mods (derp) from posting on boards such as metagaming while at the same time getting more manpower to moderate those boards?

PM me in game anytime

If they're good at the former, then it makes no sense to look past those talents because they don't happen to play RuneScape any more.

Please justify this taking into consideration content heavy boards such as metagaming and H&A.

Edit: Y_Guy, I understand this may apply for you, but not all mods are as sensible as you are. Wouldn't it be a good idea to recruit more mods who are in touch with current, high-level content and have them focus on content while other mods who know less about those things can focus in other areas.

I mean to put an actual official policy in place to stop certain mods (derp) from posting on boards such as metagaming while at the same time getting more manpower to moderate those boards?

We try to, but once again we aren't going to make people mods who aren't suitable to be moderators. And there will never be an official policy put in place to stop certain mods from posting, we're not going to tell our staff members they aren't good enough to do something. It's up to their discretion.

But yeah, we are always looking for moderators who are able to both moderate according to the rules and have a good understanding of high level RS content.

polvCwJ.gif

We try to, but once again we aren't going to make people mods who aren't suitable to be moderators. And there will never be an official policy put in place to stop certain mods from posting, we're not going to tell our staff members they aren't good enough to do something. It's up to their discretion.

But yeah, we are always looking for moderators who are able to both moderate according to the rules and have a good understanding of high level RS content.

I'm not suggesting you stop them from posting. I think you should just only allow people to have mod powers on certain boards where they have the relevant expertise. Why is it so impossible for you to tell staff they can't do something?

PM me in game anytime

I'm not suggesting you stop them from posting. I think you should just only allow people to have mod powers on certain boards where they have the relevant expertise. Why is it so impossible for you to tell staff they can't do something?

Well, local moderators wouldn't have that. But both our global and super moderator ranks dictate that you've earned the responsibility of having mod power on all boards, even if you'll rarely need to use them.

polvCwJ.gif

Well I think it's a problem then that being an awesome mod and having super conflict resolution skills on the OT board makes you qualified to have mod powers on a board like metagaming or H&A.

PM me in game anytime

Well I think it's a problem then that being an awesome mod and having super conflict resolution skills on the OT board makes you qualified to have mod powers on a board like metagaming or H&A.

I don't, because in every board, there are far many more problems dealing with actual rulebreaking then there are RS specific arguments. Once again, if we were to make moderators specifically for metagame, their focus would be on the detailed, specific RS stuff, but other mods would still have powers to deal with other rulebreaking.

polvCwJ.gif

Well thank god you are one of fifty or so mods, not counting admins and crew. Maybe someone else feels differently.

PM me in game anytime

Sounds to me you just don't like some certain mods.

It's not if they delete posts in Metagaming for saying "rapier > cls" because they bought a CLS... If your still going over what happened a month ago, for which both sides apologized, should just get over it.

Staurolite.png

Well thank god you are one of fifty or so mods, not counting admins and crew. Maybe someone else feels differently.

Doubt it. I think every single one of our mods is competent enough to enforce the rules separate from the factuality of rs related content. We're only human, and bound to make occasional mistakes, but I don't see that some mods need to be "controlled" which is what you're basically suggesting.

polvCwJ.gif

I prefer the term refocused. Anyways, this is a thread for feedback and I don't think you represent the opinions of every last staff member so I will continue hoping that other people continue to read my concerns and maybe action is taken.

PM me in game anytime

We have already asked moderators who are not designated "Metagame Moderators" to stay clear of the Metagame board unless there is an emergency (spambots, a huge flamewar when a Metagame mod is not online, etc.). But for all other RuneScape forums, moderators can moderate when they see fit. If there is a situation that requires game knowledge (this usually only happens in Help & Advice or Metagame) then moderators either leave it for someone else to handle or they consult with the rest of the team to gain an understanding of what needs to be done.

Retired moderators still have moderator powers in RuneScape boards because almost all rule-breaking cases and reports do not require game knowledge. Most reports are nothing about the game; they are personal attacks on other users, deal with racism, or are just spam.

We are always on the lookout for new moderators who are heavily involved in RuneScape but as has been said several times, it is exceedingly difficult to find qualified candidates :( Most people who are suited for the position and are active in RuneScape are not very active on Tip.It.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Monday is almost over, at last the work day down at Jagex HQ is. (Unless I've derped)

I'm really curious as to where this email that we have all been waiting for is.

PM me in game anytime