Efficiency Trolls

JacTise69

I'm still seeing a lot of "Do it this way. We do it this way, therefor it is the best and you should also do it this way". But in reality being efficient isn't always the best way of doing things. Being efficient, 90% of the time, is so boring or so much of a grind that you want to kill yourself after 10 minutes of doing it because it takes what used to be a game and turn it into a 9-to-5 job. And you might not agree with me, but you know deep down inside that im not lying. How many of you efficiency clowns get so upset when you run past someone doing something inefficient? How many of you would giggle to yourself or even mutter an insult? How many of you would even stop and tell him how inefficient he is being? The truth is many of you would. Because i've seen many of you do it. And that is sad. The point at which you feel you NEED to educate other people on having fun when you really arent having fun yourself. The point at which you started assuming you were a better player, while in reality you were just a better exp gainer. Gaining fast exp does not make you the better player, it just makes you a better grinder, and i'm sorry to have to tell you this guys but grinding is a mindless activity. Some of us don't like spending 2 hours doing a mindnumbing hated activity for the sake of saving another 4 hours when we could have been doing something fun for 6 hours instead.

Each and every one of us play the game the way we think its fun and when someone in H&A asks for the best/most efficient way of doing something then you guys can do what you do best and answer it. But when the word "best/efficient" is not included in the post, please try and keep your underwear clean when someone offers an actual fun method, okay?

This is the problem. I don't in any way shape or form see playing efficiently as a detriment to how much I enjoy playing the game. Saying that 90% of efficient training methods are boring and mindless is 1) a made up statistic and 2) only true for certain individuals, with only yourself being identified thus far as one of them.

I don't get upset seeing someone do something inefficient, I simply think "I hope their having fun while they waste their time". And in game I don't address anyone unless addressed first. And how does one measure who is the better player if not by exp rates, gp/hr rates etc? Certainly it can't be who has the most fun, because that is subjective and also isn't dependant on the game. Getting drunk and DGing is certainly going to net me more fun than someone who is sober DGing, but that doesn't make me a better player than him. Sadly for this game grinding=playing, so being a better grinder=being a better player.

What posters in H&A are asking for the worst methods? None of them. No one goes into H&A looking to find the 3rd best method of doing something, they want the best. And as said before if they want to know what's the most fun they wont/shouldn't post because no one can tell them what they will have fun with.

When did i ever say i hate being efficient? :\ nice assumption, clown. Certain skills you just have to be efficient with (Fishing the biggest imo). And as for"the best player" - that is also very subjective so that agruement is invalid.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>claiming that what defines the "best player" is subjective.

>every aspect of Runescape defines "best" in terms of numbers (i.e., levels, exp, money, number of drops, droprates, etc)

>your claim and how Runescape works are at odds.

"your argument is invalid"

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Then nr1 on Highscores is the best player. By your logic at least.

Oh wait, but don't you clowns also say that whomever keeps the best exp/h rate is "the best".

Oh so you don't really know what defines the best?

Oh wait, now you're contradicting yourself.

That must mean "your arguement is invalid"

Discussion ended.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm still seeing a lot of "Do it this way. We do it this way, therefor it is the best and you should also do it this way". But in reality being efficient isn't always the best way of doing things. Being efficient, 90% of the time, is so boring or so much of a grind that you want to kill yourself after 10 minutes of doing it because it takes what used to be a game and turn it into a 9-to-5 job. And you might not agree with me, but you know deep down inside that im not lying. How many of you efficiency clowns get so upset when you run past someone doing something inefficient? How many of you would giggle to yourself or even mutter an insult? How many of you would even stop and tell him how inefficient he is being? The truth is many of you would. Because i've seen many of you do it. And that is sad. The point at which you feel you NEED to educate other people on having fun when you really arent having fun yourself. The point at which you started assuming you were a better player, while in reality you were just a better exp gainer. Gaining fast exp does not make you the better player, it just makes you a better grinder, and i'm sorry to have to tell you this guys but grinding is a mindless activity. Some of us don't like spending 2 hours doing a mindnumbing hated activity for the sake of saving another 4 hours when we could have been doing something fun for 6 hours instead.

Each and every one of us play the game the way we think its fun and when someone in H&A asks for the best/most efficient way of doing something then you guys can do what you do best and answer it. But when the word "best/efficient" is not included in the post, please try and keep your underwear clean when someone offers an actual fun method, okay?

Are you kidding me? I hate grinding, lol. In fact a lot of the research and experimenting I do is to avoid methods of grinding.

I don't dislike people for being inefficient; hell, I'm plenty inefficient. I dislike people that do dumb things and THINK theyre doing something smart.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

This is the problem. I don't in any way shape or form see playing efficiently as a detriment to how much I enjoy playing the game. Saying that 90% of efficient training methods are boring and mindless is 1) a made up statistic and 2) only true for certain individuals, with only yourself being identified thus far as one of them.

I don't get upset seeing someone do something inefficient, I simply think "I hope their having fun while they waste their time". And in game I don't address anyone unless addressed first. And how does one measure who is the better player if not by exp rates, gp/hr rates etc? Certainly it can't be who has the most fun, because that is subjective and also isn't dependant on the game. Getting drunk and DGing is certainly going to net me more fun than someone who is sober DGing, but that doesn't make me a better player than him. Sadly for this game grinding=playing, so being a better grinder=being a better player.

What posters in H&A are asking for the worst methods? None of them. No one goes into H&A looking to find the 3rd best method of doing something, they want the best. And as said before if they want to know what's the most fun they wont/shouldn't post because no one can tell them what they will have fun with.

When did i ever say i hate being efficient? :\ nice assumption, clown. Certain skills you just have to be efficient with (Fishing the biggest imo). And as for"the best player" - that is also very subjective so that agruement is invalid.

Where did I say you hate being efficient? You said that 90% of efficient training methods are boring and mindless and I pointed out that this was a made up statistic and also largely a matter of personal opinion (the boring and mindless part). I think punching monkeys for theiving exp is fun. It also happens to be efficient. If you find in mindless and boring then fine, go train in a less efficient way that you find to be more fun.

Obt covered the "best player" response well enough, thanks obt.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Are you kidding me? I hate grinding, lol. In fact a lot of the research and experimenting I do is to avoid methods of grinding.

I don't dislike people for being inefficient; hell, I'm plenty inefficient. I dislike people that do dumb things and THINK theyre doing something smart.

Fair enough. There's no arguement in that.

Oh wait, but don't you clowns also say that whomever keeps the best exp/h rate is "the best".

Discussion ended.

NR1 rs high scores is the best in terms of total exp and levels. We clowns say whoever can maintain the best exp/hr is the best at maintaining the best exp/hr. Compare apples to apples.

Best can only be used in descriptions of comparison between like variables that can be measured.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Discussion ended.

Lol, are you saying that the consensus of what defines a "best player" is his/her spot on the high scores? I'd advise you to not create opinions out of thin air and argue against those opinions as if someone else had thought them. That's generally known as talking to yourself.

The point is that, say, a player using turmoil/extremes/steel titan and utilizing various gameplay mechanics to maximize speed gets better exp/h than the dude in the slayer cape and DFS using none of those things. The first player is definitively better. Also, ironically, the first player spends less time playing Runescape. Makes me wonder where these grinding arguments come from. It's not as if chopping yews is more or less fun than chopping ivy, but the latter is certainly more efficient.

dgs5.jpg

Discussion ended.

Lol, are you saying that the consensus of what defines a "best player" is his/her spot on the high scores? I'd advise you to not create opinions out of thin air and argue against those opinions as if someone else had thought them. That's generally known as talking to yourself.

The point is that, say, a player using turmoil/extremes/steel titan and utilizing various gameplay mechanics to maximize speed gets better exp/h than the dude in the slayer cape and DFS using none of those things. The first player is definitively better. Also, ironically, the first player spends less time playing Runescape. Makes me wonder where these grinding arguments come from. It's not as if chopping yews is more or less fun than chopping ivy, but the latter is certainly more efficient.

Actually if you think about it the player in the Slayer Cape and DFS probably spends more time ON rs, but less time actually PLAYING. Chances are he'd be afk/browsing the web too, lol. But again, there is no arguing your post. Might want to clarify what you mean by "the best" next tiem thought. I tend to think in terms of "best overall" which would infact be the person at the top of the highscores list even if he/she is the most inefficient of them all.

Discussion ended.

Actually if you think about it the player in the Slayer Cape and DFS probably spends more time ON rs, but less time actually PLAYING. Chances are he'd be afk/browsing the web too, lol. But again, there is no arguing your post. Might want to clarify what you mean by "the best" next tiem thought. I tend to think in terms of "best overall" which would infact be the person at the top of the highscores list even if he/she is the most inefficient of them all.

Lol, when I do frosts I just soul split and pretty much afk them. When I do DK's I pretty much AFK during kills. The idea that "inefficient" players spend more time AFKing is pretty baseless.

With regards to your "inefficient" high scorer: Such a player does not deserve my respect. It just shows they play a lot more than they should be. Golv is an example.

Also such a player is unlikely to be number one rated.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Discussion ended.

I guess we're not really debating anymore and this is only vaguely related, but I've always had a hard time with AFKing Runescape. When I wanna play, I wanna play. Probably why I enjoy dungeoneering, slayer, and MHing more than anything else (evidenced by my stats). Those times when I feel that raising a non-combat stat would benefit me in some way (quests, dungeoneering, etc), I choose the fastest, most efficient method because I really don't like non-combats. The less time I spend mining or running laps, the faster I can get back to dungeoneering.

In regards to activities I DO like, getting better at those activities is fun for me, so once again speed and efficiency come into play. I like to challenge myself.

dgs5.jpg

Wow i actually just realised how much fuss people (myself included) can make over a game :unsure:

EDIT: Could it be possible that training certain skills at a lower exp rate could be more efficient than training them at a higher exp rate? To give an example i will use Farming and Runecrafting.

For Farming a level of 85 (along with a few other requirements) would be needed. Also we're gonna have to go back a few months for this to work. Now farming torsol with juju is a ~400k gp/7minutes skill. This makes it one of the best money-makers in the game but it also generates one of the lowest exp rates @ about 9k exp/75 minutes. However this is a skill that takes little to no effort to train while generating the funds to train other skills more efficiently.

For Runecrafting a levle of either 82 or 91 is required. But for this we have to go back a few years. Double nats/astrals used to be some of the best money-makers in the game but also offered some of the slowest exp. However the money gained while doing them would essentialy save hour/days/weeks of money-making.

There are quite a number of skills that could be used as an example htere.

Thus efficency isn't always about the best exp/h, right?

I know not everyone implied that it was, but i think certain people seem to miss the concept of "efficient".

I don't think anyone is arguing that the highest xp/hour rate is always best- nobody would tell you demonic thrones are efficient construction training. Efficient training maximizes your gains in an amount of time, taking both money and exp into account. You can go both ways with this- going to a f2p world and burying the bones at barbarian village may be free exp, but the time taken for exp is spectacularly excessive to the point that you'd be better off chopping yews and buying d bones with that money. Efficiency is about finding the balance that gets you your goal and all your money back in the fastest way possible.

Also, hell yeah I giggle when I see people doing things that are incredibly ineffective. One time I saw someone in Kuradal's dungeon who was wearing an ely and a fighter torso killing blue dragons with magic prayer. I find that hilarious is the same way I would find it hilarious if I was walking down the street and saw somebody trying to hammer in nails with a banana.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I don't think anyone is arguing that the highest xp/hour rate is always best- nobody would tell you demonic thrones are efficient construction training. Efficient training maximizes your gains in an amount of time, taking both money and exp into account. You can go both ways with this- going to a f2p world and burying the bones at barbarian village may be free exp, but the time taken for exp is spectacularly excessive to the point that you'd be better off chopping yews and buying d bones with that money. Efficiency is about finding the balance that gets you your goal and all your money back in the fastest way possible.

Also, hell yeah I giggle when I see people doing things that are incredibly ineffective. One time I saw someone in Kuradal's dungeon who was wearing an ely and a fighter torso killing blue dragons with magic prayer. I find that hilarious is the same way I would find it hilarious if I was walking down the street and saw somebody trying to hammer in nails with a banana.

:lol:

At pulli, again you have the definition of efficiency wrong. A persons inability to use the most efficient methods does not mean that the methods they can do are the most efficient. Classic example is brett favres throwing mechanic. Nothing about it is proper in terms of efficient movement from a sports performance stand point, but he saw great success with it (and had fun), he would however been even better had he been trained to throw correctly.

I'm studying aerospace engineering.. Here efficiency is always the questions to ask.. However efficiency is nothing without looking at the circumstances: soemthing is only efficient under certain circumstances. If you don't grasp this I will have to keep calling you a "clown" since further discussion is not really possible.. It's like those who are answering (when I ask for the average drop rate of item X): "it's random"; Or trying to discuss fundamental physics (bing bang) with theists..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I just find it amusing that those on the other end of the spectrum to the "efficiency clowns" seem to have an incessant need to justify the way they play. You can say "But I'm having fun" all you want, but that's completely missing the point. If you sincerely enjoy the way you play then THAT'S OK, what the efficient players are trying to do when they give advice is offer a way of playing that will inevitably get you places quicker. If you don't find it fun then don't do it, in my opinion the helpful advice given by many players on TIF is given constructively and is rarely shoved down people's throats. It's like people have this knee jerk reaction when someone mentions efficiency, they suddenly have to justify the way they play because they are worried about being seen as inferior or something.

Heh, when I posted in the former 'Efficiency' thread, I was quoted and trolled for claiming that Efficiency was indeed subjective.

I personally dislike it when legitimate players trying to help others are labeled 'efficiency clowns', if we're just giving a judgement on what's objectively best for someone. There is a slight difference between calling a user an idiot for using a Godsword, and calling someone inefficient for using a Godsword, instead of Whip/Chaotics, for example.

Generalizing all people in favour of efficiency is fallacious in itself, thus weakening OP's argument.

The problem with calling efficiency the 'best' way to do things is that 'best' is subjective and ambiguous. Best for me may be most suited to my timescale and attention span, whilst best for you may be the most fun and enjoyable.

Not quite sure where I'm going with this argument now...

As a sidenote: What kinds of efficiency are we talking about? Allocative efficiency? Productive efficiency? Pareto efficiency? Some of those might not be applicable to RuneScape though, I guess. Moreso related to real life markets

I just find it amusing that those on the other end of the spectrum to the "efficiency clowns" seem to have an incessant need to justify the way they play. You can say "But I'm having fun" all you want, but that's completely missing the point. If you sincerely enjoy the way you play then THAT'S OK, what the efficient players are trying to do when they give advice is offer a way of playing that will inevitably get you places quicker. If you don't find it fun then don't do it, in my opinion the helpful advice given by many players on TIF is given constructively and is rarely shoved down people's throats. It's like people have this knee jerk reaction when someone mentions efficiency, they suddenly have to justify the way they play because they are worried about being seen as inferior or something.

This is the feeling I get. It's especially noticeable when people are told things that they worked hard for, like a CLS or a DFS or Bandos (without a fury) aren't the best thing for them to have. People get attached to their item and angry at the suggestion that a goal they had was a waste of time from the start.

@Above, we're talking about RS efficiency. What is the fastest way for a specific player to get to X goal using any method available and make back the money spent (if applicable)?

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

This is the feeling I get. It's especially noticeable when people are told things that they worked hard for, like a CLS or a DFS or Bandos (without a fury) aren't the best thing for them to have. People get attached to their item and angry at the suggestion that a goal they had was a waste of time from the start.

This is understandable though. You wouldn't like working months to buy yourself a Hummer H2 for the purpose of desert cruising only to find out the day after you purchase it a Toyota Land Cruiser is makes the H2 look like a dinky-toy in the desert. It maes you realise what a stupid error you made and that's something a lot of peopel hate admitting to themselves.

Even though this is only a game, we're still talking about real time that has been wasted.

It's understandable, but it doesn't make it any less silly, nor any less damaging when they run around trying to justify their error by getting other noobs to make the same mistake.

This is understandable though. You wouldn't like working months to buy yourself a Hummer H2 for the purpose of desert cruising only to find out the day after you purchase it a Toyota Land Cruiser is makes the H2 look like a dinky-toy in the desert. It maes you realise what a stupid error you made and that's something a lot of peopel hate admitting to themselves.

Even though this is only a game, we're still talking about real time that has been wasted.

In runescape however, the real life effort to make the change can be quite simple, just sell the item they shouldn't have bought and buy the one they should have (from an efficient standpoint).

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

In runescape however, the real life effort to make the change can be quite simple, just sell the item they shouldn't have bought and buy the one they should have (from an efficient standpoint).

Meant more in the lines of CLS rather than Bandos/DFS.

Thread = tl/dr

Is there a site/guide/whatchamathingit for "efficient" training for "all" skills anywhere? :unsure:

I'd be seriously interested in reading THAT!

Thanks! <3:

Pretty hard to find such good info all consolidated into one place, and usually such collections focus on the "buyable" skills. Still, the closest things I can think of were Grimy's spreadsheets, now removed from TIF and gone who knows where, and the still-existing "Calculators" page on the RS wiki.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png