Royal Wedding

pal2002

I despise royalty with an unbridled passion. Wont be watching; and people are saying this is bringing in millions to the economy..... Yea, but we're losing millions at the same time because everyone has a day off work.

Wrong. Thee is no legal requirement for business' to give employees the day off or to stop trading. They themselves are allowed to choose whether to let their employees have the day off, watch the wedding or have a normal day of trading.

and I know for a fact that the majority of businesses are. A lot of trade is going to be needlessly lost.

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I despise royalty with an unbridled passion. Wont be watching; and people are saying this is bringing in millions to the economy..... Yea, but we're losing millions at the same time because everyone has a day off work.

Wrong. Thee is no legal requirement for business' to give employees the day off or to stop trading. They themselves are allowed to choose whether to let their employees have the day off, watch the wedding or have a normal day of trading.

and I know for a fact that the majority of businesses are. A lot of trade is going to be needlessly lost.

Can you quote me the statistics of this fact? From my own knowledge (Of working myself and having two parents and a brother who work) 3/4 of business's are actually staying open. My Mum would probably be at work as well if she didn't already have Fridays off. I know of very few business' which are closing. Granted, many schools and universities are closing for the day, but that doesn't harm the economy to a large extent, and may even be beneficial due to many children pumping money in during the day.

Not counting the money the major TV companies are getting for broadcasting around the world as well as the many tourists coming in for the day, as well as the numerous souvenirs sold by most shops, there has been a very large boost to the economy.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Can you quote me the statistics of this fact? From my own knowledge (Of working myself and having two parents and a brother who work) 3/4 of business's are actually staying open. My Mum would probably be at work as well if she didn't already have Fridays off. I know of very few business' which are closing. Granted, many schools and universities are closing for the day, but that doesn't harm the economy to a large extent, and may even be beneficial due to many children pumping money in during the day.

Not counting the money the major TV companies are getting for broadcasting around the world as well as the many tourists coming in for the day, as well as the numerous souvenirs sold by most shops, there has been a very large boost to the economy.

sorry, you totally mis understood - I'm not denying that money will be brought into the economy via the wedding - it will, and probably more so than usual - but we'd still make more if all business continued as normal. I don't see why anything has to stop for it.

sorry, you totally mis understood - I'm not denying that money will be brought into the economy via the wedding - it will, and probably more so than usual - but we'd still make more if all business continued as normal. I don't see why anything has to stop for it.

So what is the point of statutory holidays then?

So what is the point of statutory holidays then?

In my eyes they are pointless.

I'll probably watch it, I'm not a royalist by any means but it isn't often you get to see such an occasion so I don't want to miss it. I'm more interested to see if people in the UK are celebrating the wedding at all rather than watching it.

I'll watch the highlight reel of all the idiot stunts the public will attempt to pull the day after, where I can rest and NOT sit through an entire 5 hour ceremony. Thank you

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I have no interest in an out-dated, descriminatory and futile institution. So no I won't be watching the ceremony, having a street party or doing anything related directly to the wedding.

Unsurprising views from a republican huh? I hate being the minority in the argument and I know this whole extravaganza will undoubtedly benefit the royals for the time being so Friday is a doubley poor day for me.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Why is there so much debate about how this will effect the economy? A countries actions for a single day will have little/ no effect on its economical well being. But more on topic, seeing as Friday is a school day for me, of course i won't be watching it.

99 Fletching - 01/08/08

99 Theiving - 09/11/08

99 Cooking - 12/13/08

99 Runecrafting - 10/23/09

99 Strength - 05/07/10

You wouldn't think it would have much impact, but a lot of economy is based on confidence, and this event will give a great confidence boost to the Economy. However, it will also give a much larger physical boost too. This Suggests the wedding will bring in a total of around £620 million into the British Economy, while another article (Don't have the link on me right now) estimated the cost being around the £100 million mark overall, but some going as low as £30 million for the cost. Quite a nice profit there.

It isn't a small figure, especially for Britain.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

And at the bottom there's an article labelled: Kate Middleton - commoner who stole Wills' heart. I stopped treating the newspaper is anything other than hype right there, but I did take time to read on and noticed it failed to mention any of the other areas of the UK who won't receive as much tourism as they usually would over the May Day weekend. It's a great story for London no doubt, but the vast majority of the country's population don't live in London.

Jesus... if she's common then I've lived in abstract poverty since the day I was born. I take it that 'common' now really means 'not royal' rather than any reference to frequency.

Jesus... if she's common then I've lived in abstract poverty since the day I was born. I take it that 'common' now really means 'not royal' rather than any reference to frequency.

Abject poverty.

And commoner (upon a google) does in fact mean anyone who isn't royalty, basically.

In British law, a commoner is someone who is neither the Sovereign nor a peer. Therefore, any member of the Royal Family who is not a peer, such as Prince William of Wales or Anne, Princess Royal, is a commoner, as is any member of a peer's family, including someone who holds only a courtesy title, such as the Earl of Arundel and Surrey (eldest son of the Duke of Norfolk) or Lady Victoria Hervey (a daughter of the 6th Marquess of Bristol).

Commoners can be wealthy

Why is there so much debate about how this will effect the economy? A countries actions for a single day will have little/ no effect on its economical well being. But more on topic, seeing as Friday is a school day for me, of course i won't be watching it.

They do. Think about it - there are roughly 250 working days per year. On each of those days (for simplicity's sake) 1/250th of a nations' GDP is produced. 1/250 * 100 = .4% of GDP not being produced in the year due to that one day off. In the United States with its 13 trillion dollar GDP one statutory holiday represents 52 billion dollars of lost wealth.

I live in the UK, and will not be watching this.

I am not interested, most of the people I know couldn't care less.

The only thing that bothers me is that this day is to be considered a bank holiday, yet I will be working and on regular pay instead of double time. :(

^ hah yeah. Apparently they were banned from filming it or something.

I'm not excited for it, and honestly don't really care. I can understand why people would get excited though, part of British history etc.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Now the systems may seem outdated, but at the time it was all that was available and worked well with the technology available.

The only form of government before the Enlightenment was monarchy. Switzerland only became a republic recently. Various Mediaeval and Renaissance Italian city states were not republics. Not one member state of the Holy Roman Empire was a republic. Novgorod is a lie perpetuated by anti-monarchists. Rome went from being ruled by kings to being ruled by emperors, there was nothing inbetween.

You wouldn't think it would have much impact, but a lot of economy is based on confidence, and this event will give a great confidence boost to the Economy. However, it will also give a much larger physical boost too. This Suggests the wedding will bring in a total of around £620 million into the British Economy, while another article (Don't have the link on me right now) estimated the cost being around the £100 million mark overall, but some going as low as £30 million for the cost. Quite a nice profit there.

It isn't a small figure, especially for Britain.

Very good point - if anything this is a big econ booster - think of all the random celebratory stuff that will sell when this happens + the confidence. Even the anarchists/protesters are contributing - more police people are getting paid.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Here in England its weird. The ceremony is around 11-12 or so. Coverage starts at 6 AM on our news show, official program thing around 8. That till 20 till 2, a little bit of news, the another 2 hours of the royal wedding thing. Then, at like 8, ITS ON AGAIN! -.-

TenseMurmur.gif

A friendly remainder that the ceremony is going on tonight/tomorrow morning!

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg