Warning to PSN users - Keep all PSN hacking discussion here

Demoli

We all now that PSN is down for 5 days now, and with Sony's most recent announcement, huge news surfaced.

Okay, aparently with the recent PSN downtime, which was caused by an "exterior factor" as Sony said, there was some major leakage of information including "name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID".

The worst of it though, is that there was also leaks of user's Credit card information. Here's the exact quote "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained"

Source

I made this msotly to warn any PSN using Tifers, good luck and hopes you don't get any info stolen.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is real bad. It may be over the top, but I would suggest anybody who has registered credit card details with them to phone the bank for a new card. It's usually quite quick and simple.

It's unfortunate that pirates are currently thought to be the reason for this. Link

Sony will get some bad publicity for this but I highly doubt it is their fault at all.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

After all of this time having my friends telling me PSN is much better, I seem to be fine on xbox live.. anyway sucks to those who get personal data stolen.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm confident the hacker won't use it, it's more like a symbolic action against sony because of their point and aggresiveness towards geohot and other modders of their console.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

The FUBAR of the decade.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

This is bad news indeed. Good thing I've only used purchasable PSN credit cards so far.

Nonetheless, best to take this advice:

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

priest_wiz.png

I'm personally not worried, I have my card set up so that any charges made have to be authorized by me, and I'm the only one allowed to authorize money onto the card.

In any case, this kinda sucks.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

If I am not mistaken this incident may have something to do with Anon? This kind of thing seems to happen when you cross them.

TSGsignaturev2.png

"I think that if the devil doesn't exist, then man has created him. He has created him in his own image and likeness." ~Dostoyevsky

I am kinda worried. I know more then likely I won't get my credit card info stolen but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Just closed the card right now, and am considering getting a 360 again <_<

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

What happened:

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug ([redacted]). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

you get what you pay for... mediocre service is mediocre.

Exactly what I said to my friend over the whole thing.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Interesting. My dad lost some amount of money without knowing a couple of days ago, and I used his card for getting Undead Nightmare and Crash 1. Maybe related, maybe not, hope not.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod