Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Facebook Exclusive 20% Discount

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Jehosaphat
[ Display Name History ]

Jehosaphat

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Theros
  • RSN2:New Fatscape

500,000 players following us around the clock 24/7 just to be the first ones to read about the latest RuneScape news, offers and other cool stuff

Jagex: misunderstanding what people use Facebook for since 2011.
Posted Image

Mr_Jingo
[ Display Name History ]

Mr_Jingo

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:His Love
Advertise us to get 20% off becoming a walking advertisement!

Jeffwilson99
[ Display Name History ]

Jeffwilson99

Sheep love astroturf kiwi fruit sandwiches egg noodles rabbits

• Members
  • 4,232 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

I find the idea of rs t shirts ridiculous. Its that not that I care if people see that I play runescape, its more that why would you want to wear a t shirt for a game? Just sounds weird.

Weclome new poster.
Posted Image

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts

You do it everyday for free. Might as well get benefits from it. :thumbup:

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Ms Julie

How would you do that for free every day if you don't like them on facebook? :blink:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Tip.It Website Crew Leader
Quotes

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

How would you do that for free every day if you don't like them on facebook? :blink:

I think he's referring to wearing their shirts.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts

1) Players playing Runescape> Something Jagex can refer to when they advertise
2) You are part of a Runescape community>which will benefit Runescape
3) You may tell irl friends or other friends "Hey i am playing this game.."

In my case:
I uploaded Runescape videos to Youtube

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts

1) Players playing Runescape> Something Jagex can refer to when they advertise
2) You are part of a Runescape community>which will benefit Runescape
3) You may tell irl friends or other friends "Hey i am playing this game.."

In my case:
I uploaded Runescape videos to Youtube

I meant actively, my bad.
Of course playing RuneScape (even though I don't do that daily) helps the game, but I am not personally advertising the game by playing; if I were to not play for a while, little changes. Besides, Jagex tends to use the number of accounts in existence to make claims like: "We have over 2 million active players"

Being part of this community on RuneScape does not advertise the game actively either. I would imagine that everyone here is perfectly aware of what RuneScape is... and although a number of my friends know I volunteer part of my time here, it does not mean I am encouraging them to play in any way.

The point I was trying to make is that having RuneScape liked on facebook seems to generate a nice amount of spam, which would advertise it to people who aren't already aware/playing whereas not having it liked doesn't really do that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quotes

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Has this been retracted?

It's nowhere to be found other than in the google cache...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RSN:Danqazmlp

Has this been retracted?

It's nowhere to be found other than in the google cache...

I think it was removed almost immediately because there was an error making it not work. They have either been trying to fix it or just given up on it.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Well... just like Rated Clanwars, I WAS writing a Times article on it...

*sadface*

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Leetman
[ Display Name History ]

Leetman

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 65 posts
Two vibes I'm picking up on are people calling this desperation on Jagex's part, and that people would not be willing to let the world know they play Runescape.

On the issue of desperation, I need to show you only one image
Posted Image

This is the state of affairs in our increasingly converging world. Cheese wants to be your facebook friend in order to sell itself to you. Why Can't Jagex? Why can't a company, originally built around word-of-mouth internet advertising, offer loyalty rewards and discounts for spreading their product? Is that too much like selling out for you guys? Are you really that delusional? This is what happens when a company matures; sorry if it ruins your faulty conceptions of the real world.

...Which segues nicely into the second point. Why are people so afraid to tell other people they play Runescape? That's so terribly insecure it scares me. Is it because the people are afraid to let the world know they spend so much of their life doing nothing but clicking to increase xp? If you can't admit this to yourself and others, that's a problem. Typically people hide grubby little skeletons in their closet like a diaper fetish or a heroin addiction. Even when I played 8+ hours a day I didn't take the game so seriously that I was afraid to tell my friends. I feel like nobody who would play a game like Runescape would have such a competitive friend group that their friends would do anything more than occasionally dog them on playing RS. That might be too much a conjecture, but from my own experience they don't understand why I play, but frankly they don't give that much of a [cabbage].

I feel this comes off a bit judgmental, but I wish people would, you know; get real about the impermanence of their cherished video game. It's always the people who live in the past that creep out the rest of everyone.
Posted Image

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts

*sadface*

It hasn't been retracted, but delayed rather.

Hi guys, yesterday we launched an exclusive Facebook app which offered you a 20% discount on all items in the Jagex store to thank you for helping us approach the 500,000 fans mark. Unfortunately due to a technical hiccup many of you couldn’t use the app and we had to take it down. But don't worry, as soon as the issue has been resolved it will be up again so you can sign up for the exclusive offer!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Quotes

Rsdude099
[ Display Name History ]

Rsdude099

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Scen Kid

*sadface*

Hi guys, yesterday we launched an exclusive Facebook app which offered you a 20% discount on all items in the Jagex store to thank you for helping us approach the 500,000 fans mark. Unfortunately due to a technical hiccup many of you couldn’t use the app and we had to take it down. But don't worry, as soon as the issue has been resolved it will be up again so you can sign up for the exclusive offer!

Wow, so they can't even release Facebook apps on time without any bugs?
Pretty much done with rs now

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It

I find the idea of rs t shirts ridiculous. Its that not that I care if people see that I play runescape, its more that why would you want to wear a t shirt for a game? Just sounds weird.

Why is it acceptable to wear brand tshirts (Nike) or band tshirts but not games? Are people seriously concerned about what other ppl might think? Most of my friends know I play, some of my work friends know I play, some of my family know I play. I'm not a social pariah.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Emmentail
[ Display Name History ]

Emmentail

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • RSN:Emmentail
I blame miniclip.
Posted Image

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts

Why is it acceptable to wear brand tshirts (Nike) or band tshirts but not games? Are people seriously concerned about what other ppl might think? Most of my friends know I play, some of my work friends know I play, some of my family know I play. I'm not a social pariah.

Nike t-shirt brand is more cooler than Runescape t-shirts. That's for sure.

But why wear Runescape T-shirt produced by Jagex? It's just a cheap T-shirt. And the T-shirts ain't even cool. So again - why? Instead why not make your own Runescape T-shirt?

1) Find a art of Runescape you like
2) Go to a place you can put that art on a t-shirt
3) Congratulations, you've got yourself a nice Runescape t-shirt.

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RSN:Danqazmlp

*sadface*

Wow, so they can't even release Facebook apps on time without any bugs?

Yeah because it is definitely Jagex's fault...

Nike t-shirt brand is more cooler than Runescape t-shirts. That's for sure.

But why wear Runescape T-shirt produced by Jagex? It's just a cheap T-shirt. And the T-shirts ain't even cool. So again - why? Instead why not make your own Runescape T-shirt?

1) Find a art of Runescape you like
2) Go to a place you can put that art on a t-shirt
3) Congratulations, you've got yourself a nice Runescape t-shirt.

People haven't been saying they won't wear them due to them not being any good, but due to them being Runescape related. It is fine if you don't want to wear a T-shirt due to your opinion on the style, which can also be said for branded clothes. What Mercifull means however is many people won't wear Runescape T-shirts, even if they like them, because of the link to Runescape, which is pretty stupid if you ask me. For this case, your example would end in the same way, people not wearing the T-shirt due to the self-imposed embarrassment of it being Runescape related.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts

I think it comes down to simple marketing psychographics. Whats 5 words when you think of runescape? What us old guard may suggest - the people who know of it in passing probably won't. Even if you try to do it honestly and unbiasedly you get words like these
  • Free (Jagex boasts largest free rpg still), Roleplaying Game
  • Java (not exactly known for gaming brilliance
  • MMO (not exactly known for social butterflys)
  • Browser Based (Hello Farmville and Mafia Wars)

I'm wearing a shirt with a Mountain Dew Logo right now - sure free advertising for Pepsi Co - but Dew is delicious, trendy and something everyone is familiar with, it has no negative stigmas like a runescape shirt does.

The only thing I might ever buy from Runescape thats currently offered would be the books, currently I can buy them on amazon for the same price plus on amazon if I spend $25 I get free shipping. On Jagex I pay $7.99 per book and $7.90 shipping - that shipping price will ensure I never order again. One book is over $4 shipping Again bested by amazon.

Lets move on to the shirts. For the price, I can buy a product with more prestige in the world of fashion like American Eagle for pretty much comparable prices. Nikestore online is more expensive, but you can simply go to a nike outlet store and kill the jagex prices - Go to Hot Topic for pop culture stuff, chances are you will find something more trendy for a similar price as well.

Now as for the shirts designs - Does ones like Cabbage Bomb, Bad Monkey exactly scream runescape? Why have the pink partyhat on the mens hoody? why not blue which is more of a male color - I guess I'd wear the combat triangle shirt if I had to be forced to wear those designs.

Shirts with the words "I pked your mom, I love runescape" "big ass boss monster" or "level 99 party animal" look cheap, What does I <3 RS mean to people outside of runescape anyway? Rapidshare? Rolling Stones, red sea? It's not the media hound wow is.

Next up - The shirts themselves. They don't exactly scream high quality. I happen to of received one as a gift and let's just say it's not that great of quality fabric wise (And I just wore it around the house)

As for companies on facebook? I fanned the ones I do buisness with, especially the ones who have useful perks like free shipping codes and sale/store updates, but 20% off? that doesn't even cancel out the shipping enough to make it worth my while. 20% off from most places doesn't excite me, I'd have to spend $50 or 60 to see any real savings. it's certainly not enough to make me care to spring for smaller items.

But if they can't get a coupon code to work in a store, it's no flipping wonder they can't stop macro's and cheats .

As for the Jmod? I dare him to stop macro's - work so hard it has to be considered a laughing matter around the jagex office since it simply can't be done

~Das
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

Tenebri
[ Display Name History ]

Tenebri

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • RSN:tenebri
  • RSN2:Tenebris

I blame miniclip.

i am in community of miniclip, and when miniclip went facebook it didnt get this reaction, infact it was opposite

the only problem is runescape is called as a "embarrasing" game to play like a guilty plessure

it just shows how many people are actually embarressed of playing a game

which i think is more embarressing than not saying you play it / enjoy it
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users