Facebook Exclusive 20% Discount

DRUMINATOR17

Well... just like Rated Clanwars, I WAS writing a Times article on it...

*sadface*

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two vibes I'm picking up on are people calling this desperation on Jagex's part, and that people would not be willing to let the world know they play Runescape.

On the issue of desperation, I need to show you only one image

cheesefacebook.jpg

This is the state of affairs in our increasingly converging world. Cheese wants to be your facebook friend in order to sell itself to you. Why Can't Jagex? Why can't a company, originally built around word-of-mouth internet advertising, offer loyalty rewards and discounts for spreading their product? Is that too much like selling out for you guys? Are you really that delusional? This is what happens when a company matures; sorry if it ruins your faulty conceptions of the real world.

...Which segues nicely into the second point. Why are people so afraid to tell other people they play Runescape? That's so terribly insecure it scares me. Is it because the people are afraid to let the world know they spend so much of their life doing nothing but clicking to increase xp? If you can't admit this to yourself and others, that's a problem. Typically people hide grubby little skeletons in their closet like a diaper fetish or a heroin addiction. Even when I played 8+ hours a day I didn't take the game so seriously that I was afraid to tell my friends. I feel like nobody who would play a game like Runescape would have such a competitive friend group that their friends would do anything more than occasionally dog them on playing RS. That might be too much a conjecture, but from my own experience they don't understand why I play, but frankly they don't give that much of a [cabbage].

I feel this comes off a bit judgmental, but I wish people would, you know; get real about the impermanence of their cherished video game. It's always the people who live in the past that creep out the rest of everyone.

signature.png

*sadface*

It hasn't been retracted, but delayed rather.

Hi guys, yesterday we launched an exclusive Facebook app which offered you a 20% discount on all items in the Jagex store to thank you for helping us approach the 500,000 fans mark. Unfortunately due to a technical hiccup many of you couldn’t use the app and we had to take it down. But don't worry, as soon as the issue has been resolved it will be up again so you can sign up for the exclusive offer!

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

*sadface*

Hi guys, yesterday we launched an exclusive Facebook app which offered you a 20% discount on all items in the Jagex store to thank you for helping us approach the 500,000 fans mark. Unfortunately due to a technical hiccup many of you couldnt use the app and we had to take it down. But don't worry, as soon as the issue has been resolved it will be up again so you can sign up for the exclusive offer!

Wow, so they can't even release Facebook apps on time without any bugs?

Pretty much done with rs now

I find the idea of rs t shirts ridiculous. Its that not that I care if people see that I play runescape, its more that why would you want to wear a t shirt for a game? Just sounds weird.

Why is it acceptable to wear brand tshirts (Nike) or band tshirts but not games? Are people seriously concerned about what other ppl might think? Most of my friends know I play, some of my work friends know I play, some of my family know I play. I'm not a social pariah.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Why is it acceptable to wear brand tshirts (Nike) or band tshirts but not games? Are people seriously concerned about what other ppl might think? Most of my friends know I play, some of my work friends know I play, some of my family know I play. I'm not a social pariah.

Nike t-shirt brand is more cooler than Runescape t-shirts. That's for sure.

But why wear Runescape T-shirt produced by Jagex? It's just a cheap T-shirt. And the T-shirts ain't even cool. So again - why? Instead why not make your own Runescape T-shirt?

1) Find a art of Runescape you like

2) Go to a place you can put that art on a t-shirt

3) Congratulations, you've got yourself a nice Runescape t-shirt.

*sadface*

Hi guys, yesterday we launched an exclusive Facebook app which offered you a 20% discount on all items in the Jagex store to thank you for helping us approach the 500,000 fans mark. Unfortunately due to a technical hiccup many of you couldnt use the app and we had to take it down. But don't worry, as soon as the issue has been resolved it will be up again so you can sign up for the exclusive offer!

Wow, so they can't even release Facebook apps on time without any bugs?

Yeah because it is definitely Jagex's fault...

Nike t-shirt brand is more cooler than Runescape t-shirts. That's for sure.

But why wear Runescape T-shirt produced by Jagex? It's just a cheap T-shirt. And the T-shirts ain't even cool. So again - why? Instead why not make your own Runescape T-shirt?

1) Find a art of Runescape you like

2) Go to a place you can put that art on a t-shirt

3) Congratulations, you've got yourself a nice Runescape t-shirt.

People haven't been saying they won't wear them due to them not being any good, but due to them being Runescape related. It is fine if you don't want to wear a T-shirt due to your opinion on the style, which can also be said for branded clothes. What Mercifull means however is many people won't wear Runescape T-shirts, even if they like them, because of the link to Runescape, which is pretty stupid if you ask me. For this case, your example would end in the same way, people not wearing the T-shirt due to the self-imposed embarrassment of it being Runescape related.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I find the idea of rs t shirts ridiculous. Its that not that I care if people see that I play runescape, its more that why would you want to wear a t shirt for a game? Just sounds weird.

I think it comes down to simple marketing psychographics. Whats 5 words when you think of runescape? What us old guard may suggest - the people who know of it in passing probably won't. Even if you try to do it honestly and unbiasedly you get words like these

•  
  • Free (Jagex boasts largest free rpg still), Roleplaying Game
  • Java (not exactly known for gaming brilliance
  • MMO (not exactly known for social butterflys)
  • Browser Based (Hello Farmville and Mafia Wars)

I'm wearing a shirt with a Mountain Dew Logo right now - sure free advertising for Pepsi Co - but Dew is delicious, trendy and something everyone is familiar with, it has no negative stigmas like a runescape shirt does.

The only thing I might ever buy from Runescape thats currently offered would be the books, currently I can buy them on amazon for the same price plus on amazon if I spend $25 I get free shipping. On Jagex I pay $7.99 per book and $7.90 shipping - that shipping price will ensure I never order again. One book is over $4 shipping Again bested by amazon.

Lets move on to the shirts. For the price, I can buy a product with more prestige in the world of fashion like American Eagle for pretty much comparable prices. Nikestore online is more expensive, but you can simply go to a nike outlet store and kill the jagex prices - Go to Hot Topic for pop culture stuff, chances are you will find something more trendy for a similar price as well.

Now as for the shirts designs - Does ones like Cabbage Bomb, Bad Monkey exactly scream runescape? Why have the pink partyhat on the mens hoody? why not blue which is more of a male color - I guess I'd wear the combat triangle shirt if I had to be forced to wear those designs.

Shirts with the words "I pked your mom, I love runescape" "big ass boss monster" or "level 99 party animal" look cheap, What does I <3 RS mean to people outside of runescape anyway? Rapidshare? Rolling Stones, red sea? It's not the media hound wow is.

Next up - The shirts themselves. They don't exactly scream high quality. I happen to of received one as a gift and let's just say it's not that great of quality fabric wise (And I just wore it around the house)

As for companies on facebook? I fanned the ones I do buisness with, especially the ones who have useful perks like free shipping codes and sale/store updates, but 20% off? that doesn't even cancel out the shipping enough to make it worth my while. 20% off from most places doesn't excite me, I'd have to spend $50 or 60 to see any real savings. it's certainly not enough to make me care to spring for smaller items.

But if they can't get a coupon code to work in a store, it's no flipping wonder they can't stop macro's and cheats .

As for the Jmod? I dare him to stop macro's - work so hard it has to be considered a laughing matter around the jagex office since it simply can't be done

~Das

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I blame miniclip.

i am in community of miniclip, and when miniclip went facebook it didnt get this reaction, infact it was opposite

the only problem is runescape is called as a "embarrasing" game to play like a guilty plessure

it just shows how many people are actually embarressed of playing a game

which i think is more embarressing than not saying you play it / enjoy it

tenebri.png

My last girlfriend was stolen by a man who had a Runescape T-shirt for each day of the week.

And several other testimonials from real people who have bought a Runescape T-shirt.

Black Jesus says...

Some people say that my father created Earth in 7 days.. he created the Runescape shirt before he even began to think about making the world.

OMG says...

This shirt cured my Aids!

Robert E. Lee says...

I got destroyed by Grant because he was wearing a Runescape shirt. I was warned by my esteemed colleagues that I, too should don a Runescape shirt (or a WoW shirt at the very least) to go head to head against Grant. I gave these suggestions no thought, and look where I am now. I'm dead. Should've gotten this shirt. Damn.

Andrew says...

No words can describe how amazing the Runescape shirt is, so I won't say anything more. Nothing.

George W. Bush says...

I wouldn't be such a [cabbage]ty president if I had some damn Runescape shirts.

Jake says...

This shirt is the only reason why i got hired at McDonald's. I'm Lovin It.

Mike says...

Ive been eating like a mad man but still lost 20lbs thanks to this shirt.

50 Cent says...

Yo I got blasted in the face 9 times and the only reason I'm still standin is cause I was rockin the Runescape Tee. Holla back ya heard.

Racer says...

Forget modifying your car just buy this shirt. Seriously who's gonna pass you with a Runescape shirt on!!

mf101 says...

I wore this shirt to a VERY important business meeting with 5 MAJOR players in the Kansas social elite. Let me just say this shirt sealed the deal and I am opening 14 dry cleaners in the area. THANK YOU RUNESCAPE SHIRT!

ALL TRUE TESTIMONIALS.

At above comment:

Wat.

As for the Jmod? I dare him to stop macro's - work so hard it has to be considered a laughing matter around the jagex office since it simply can't be done

Now there's an idea. :thumbup:

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I don't need 20% off five dollars. I'm not that desperate or poor.

That's a free month of membership every five months... that's like a free Chipotle burrito!!!!

Edit: just shared on all my FB friends walls

Edit2: weird-- nearly half my FB friends list is gone. FB must be updating their website again or something...

Lol ya I just read it as 20% of their store stuff only, not membership fees.

They save / make more money that way. I am sure they have wanted to up membership fees for a long time (and they have) and they know and suspect that if they do they will lose out on members to games people might feel more worth the more money. aka WOW, RIFT, etc.

And ya Muggi, Facebook [bleep]s up on a regular basis and it has been for months and months now. Too many members, pages, posts, etc etc etc. They did a great job handling it for a long time but now its just to that point where its literally next to impossible to stay that perfect like their starter days.

I think muggi might have forgotten his [sarcasm] tags. :wink: I actually laughed when I read his post.

Especially the Edit2 got me haha. Nice one.

Why do we bake cookies, but cook bacon

99/99/80+ looking for monster hunting group

RS07: mb nb

My last girlfriend was stolen by a man who had a Runescape T-shirt for each day of the week.

And several other testimonials from real people who have bought a Runescape T-shirt.

Black Jesus says...

Some people say that my father created Earth in 7 days.. he created the Runescape shirt before he even began to think about making the world.

OMG says...

Robert E. Lee says...

I got destroyed by Grant because he was wearing a Runescape shirt. I was warned by my esteemed colleagues that I, too should don a Runescape shirt (or a WoW shirt at the very least) to go head to head against Grant. I gave these suggestions no thought, and look where I am now. I'm dead. Should've gotten this shirt. Damn.

Andrew says...

No words can describe how amazing the Runescape shirt is, so I won't say anything more. Nothing.

George W. Bush says...

Jake says...

Mike says...

50 Cent says...

Yo I got blasted in the face 9 times and the only reason I'm still standin is cause I was rockin the Runescape Tee. Holla back ya heard.

Racer says...

Forget modifying your car just buy this shirt. Seriously who's gonna pass you with a Runescape shirt on!!

mf101 says...

I wore this shirt to a VERY important business meeting with 5 MAJOR players in the Kansas social elite. Let me just say this shirt sealed the deal and I am opening 14 dry cleaners in the area. THANK YOU RUNESCAPE SHIRT!

ALL TRUE TESTIMONIALS.

:thumbsup:

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Black Jesus says...

OMG says...

Robert E. Lee says...

Andrew says...

George W. Bush says...

Jake says...

Mike says...

50 Cent says...

Racer says...

mf101 says...

ALL TRUE TESTIMONIALS.

:thumbsup:

Not even gonna lie, I laughed pretty damn hard at this.

As for the actual issue, I have no problem with the discount being for the Jagex store, but I feel cheated if they can lock in their membership at the discounted price.

People actually buy those t-shirts? I wouldn't enter this competition simply because I couldn't care less if the Jagex store has a discount.

Kudos to them for working on their marketing though. We need new players in the game if it's to ever stay frresh, and new players are increasingly hard to find.

I'm not an efficienado.