Jiblix and Ken Genosis Demodded Over Speaking Out

pal2002

To be fair to Jagex, Jiblix didn't block out any of the scam websites shown in his video, making him just as bad as an adbot, if not 100x worse. Correct me if I'm wrong here when I say forum/player mods aren't supposed to encourage (whether it be directly or indirectly) scam websites ANYWHERE. That includes showing the actual websites. Jagex didn't demod him because they felt like it, he broke the rules. That's all there is to it. Yet everyone is throwing up a huge stink about it and not looking at both sides of the story.

2vuhgcn.png

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. But, with the crowns, they become representatives of Jagex.

No, they don't. They become enforcers of their rules. They still have the right to express their opinion.

The moderator did not break any rule. He did not explicitly state that the state of the game was bad. People draw their own conclusions from what they see in the video, and if Jagex doesn't like it, they should do something about it.

It'd be extra hilarious if they claimed a copyright on the video to have it taken out.

crossed_body.png

To be fair to Jagex, Jiblix didn't block out any of the scam websites shown in his video, making him just as bad as an adbot, if not 100x worse. Correct me if I'm wrong here when I say forum/player mods aren't supposed to encourage (whether it be directly or indirectly) scam websites ANYWHERE. That includes showing the actual websites. Jagex didn't demod him because they felt like it, he broke the rules. That's all there is to it. Yet everyone is throwing up a huge stink about it and not looking at both sides of the story.

Mate you can go to any FTP world at any time of day and find out what the websites do. Maybe they should worry about that instead of some of them being on a video.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Mod Baker011 has said it himself - Having a green background means you are a representative of the company (It's laughable, I know), and you must be in line with what the company says.

It's a volunteer position - it's not like an in-game moderator role.

So why is it laughable if someone is volunteering to help out? Working together as a united front makes your efforts more effective, speaking from experience.

I'm not saying that Jagex have been angels, but I'd expect that for any community management group. That's how it is on Gamefaqs, RSOF, Tip.it, etc. You need to be that way or you can't fairly manage a community. Being 'in-line' doesn't mean you have to powder their backside and agree with everything they say, but as a whole stand united. There are other places, and other ways, to vent frustration with policies of the groups you volunteer in. If you're volunteering to manage a community, you should be contributing to that community constructively as a role-model.

I still don't fully understand how Jiblix went about in his criticism, considering the conflicting reports from biased sources both for and against. But if it's caused this much of a firestorm, I have to question if this wasn't the right move--at least for now, until they hammer out their new guidelines and things calm down.

hzvjpwS.gif

Kim, could Tip.it as a whole recommend another game for the award much in the same way a newspaper may endorse a certain candidate in a political race without any fear of retribution?

I'm not saying will you, but could you? Again, without retribution by Jagex, such as losing Platinum status?

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Jagex are looking increasingly like the Soviet Union towards the end of its days.

I think we need a campaign to bring Jiblix back onto their team.

I've voted for Bejeweled 3 over RS in the Golden Joysticks this year anyway. I'm not rewarding Jagex for being lazy and crass.

Vote for League of Legends, as that seems to be the biggest competition.

This. It seems like LoL is being voted on by players and non players alike. Those who don't know the game vote on it because they know LoL

has been very popular for awhile. People are choosing it so Jagex cannot win the award. Although Runescape is still leading in votes...

For those who don't know, LoL has NO RELATION to Runescape. LoL is a RT strategy game originated from another RT strategy game called

Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. The creators of a popular Frozen Throne customized game called DotA (Defense of the Ancients) published their own "DotA"

instead of publishing it in Frozen Throne. I played Both Frozen Throne (since 6th grade) and LoL. If you're into games like Starcraft, you might like

LoL. Even though not entirely similar, they both rely on strategy.

As for the company of LoL which is Riot Games, they seem to care more about the player base than Jagex. But unlike Jagex, you can get

penalized for leaving the game both un-intentionally and intentionally. I haven't played much LoL since my comp can't handle the FPS but unlike

Runescape, you cannot customize LoL to make it fit your computer's processor. So I personally think It's a dog eat dog situation.

Kim, could Tip.it as a whole recommend another game for the award much in the same way a newspaper may endorse a certain candidate in a political race without any fear of retribution?

I'm not saying will you, but could you? Again, without retribution by Jagex, such as losing Platinum status?

I dunno, I don't speak for the entirety of the staff. O_o That would be something to ask the administrators. But I can't imagine, personally, there being much point in it--we're a RuneScape fansite.

hzvjpwS.gif

That's not something that was anticipated when Jagex wrote up the fan site criteria for platinum. They would most certainly be disappointed and they would probably contact us to inquire about it, but I can't say for certain either way whether we would lose platinum status. I do think it would be reasonable for them to revoke if it we did though... If we weren't going to support RuneScape, why should they support us? :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I dunno, I don't speak for the entirety of the staff. O_o That would be something to ask the administrators. But I can't imagine, personally, there being much point in it--we're a RuneScape fansite.

Because maybe the majority of the staff is upset with Runescape and Jagex and might want to send a message. I was mostly curious if you guys would get payback for doing so.

Because maybe the majority of the staff is upset with Runescape and Jagex and might want to send a message. I was mostly curious if you guys would get payback for doing so.

Yeah but if you're saying that as a way to draw a connection between Jiblix and Tip.it, that's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Again, my person thoughts are that Tip.it, as large as it is, can do more good for the RuneScape community as a whole by supporting the game rather than trying to turn it into a petty competition. Plus, the staff don't represent the Tip.it community, we're only a small chunk of it. We work for the community here, and something like that would most likely cause more harm than good dictated by only the smallest percentage of Tip.it. It'd be quite the insult to everything everyone has worked so hard for here. Besides, the Tip.it Times is critical enough of Jagex tbh lol.

Dunno, that's just my thought. Something that Tip.it would do as a whole isn't the same for an individual. I won't pretend to know how much a single forum mod can influence on the game.

hzvjpwS.gif

Mod Baker011 has said it himself - Having a green background means you are a representative of the company (It's laughable, I know), and you must be in line with what the company says.

It's a volunteer position - it's not like an in-game moderator role.

So why is it laughable if someone is volunteering to help out? Working together as a united front makes your efforts more effective, speaking from experience.

I don't think he said that. He said that volunteers being the representative of a company is laughable. Because it is, volunteers do not, and should not represent Jagex.

crossed_body.png

I don't think he said that. He said that volunteers being the representative of a company is laughable. Because it is, volunteers do not, and should not represent Jagex.

Since you already know my opinion on it, why do you think that?

hzvjpwS.gif

Because volunteers are a liability. They effectively have nothing to lose if they butcher Jagex's reputation, therefore they should not represent Jagex at all.

They volunteer to enforce the rules, not to be Jagex's public relations. They should be allowed to have their own opinions, and if they happen to go against jagex's benefit, that's not their problem.

A man can mute 10.000 spamming bots, but as soon as he complains about it, he gets hammered down because "it makes us look bad". Even if it's not his fault that 100.000 spamming bots are being indirectly supported by Jagex, and the rules should prevail.

At best, they should represent the players, deep down, that's all they are. And if the community is unhappy, the "cream of the crop" should be allowed to feel generaly unsatisfied with the way things are going.

crossed_body.png

Because volunteers are a liability. They effectively have nothing to lose if they butcher Jagex's reputation, therefore they should not represent Jagex at all.

They volunteer to enforce the rules, not to be Jagex's public relations. They should be allowed to have their own opinions, and if they happen to go against jagex's benefit, that's not their problem.

A man can mute 10.000 spamming bots, but as soon as he complains about it, he gets hammered down because "it makes us look bad". Even if it's not his fault that 100.000 spamming bots are being indirectly supported by Jagex, and the rules should prevail.

If we agree that they're a liability and they have the potential to do more harm than good, isn't that more important for them to present a united front to more effectively manage the community? So anyone not doing that, wouldn't you expect them to be a role-model? In-line, to take Moe's words, with the game company's goals and aims?

It's not a matter of shedding your own opinions to conform to the corporate credo, but working together instead of against eachother.

In response to your edit: I think they're honestly a little of both. They're a representative of the community, the 'cream of the crop' as you've said. But at the same time, they were asked to represent the rules and integrity of the game, to work together to make it a better place. That is what any community wants to maintain. Whether Jagex is succeeding in that is questionable, it's true, but it's still got to be the goal of their staffing team.

hzvjpwS.gif

How do you work together when one side thinks something is important and something needs to be done about it, so he does it, and the other side disagrees and does nothing about it, but does something because the other side actually did something?

What's so shocking? That video looks just like those areas before free trade was removed TO COMBAT BOTS. Players begged to have free trade back, they got it. Oh, look! Surprise that the bots are back and more persistent on free worlds, right?!

People voted to have free-trade returned after believing the false information that Jagex themselves stated that they could combat bots when really they couldn't stand a God-damned chance against them. Had people known that Jagex couldn't, and knew the level to which the bot problem would grow to (Like it is today), I doubt you would have seen half those votes.

09144a99bb.png

If we agree that they're a liability and they have the potential to do more harm than good, isn't that more important for them to present a united front to more effectively manage the community? So anyone not doing that, wouldn't you expect them to be a role-model? In-line, to take Moe's words, with the game company's goals and aims?

It's not a matter of shedding your own opinions to conform to the corporate credo, but working together instead of against eachother.

Mods shouldn't be blind sheep who dismiss severe problems with the game and with the community because the boss doesn't like it. In fact, riling up the community might actually benefit Jagex more in the long run, despite their stubborn beliefs.

In fact, mods should be taken more seriously by jagex than any regular player, because they represent the community of players. Not Jagex's stockholders.

I'm not sure what you mean with an "unified front". Are you saying that advert spammers aren't a problem that should be adressed? I'm pretty sure most players will agree that it should, and in this case, this should be your "unified front", and you should support this guy's message.

Point is, if mods are to be a "unified front", they should represent the players, and not Jagex. Because they are players, not Jagex employees or stockholders (well, they can be stockholders).

crossed_body.png

How do you work together when one side thinks something is important and something needs to be done about it, so he does it, and the other side disagrees and does nothing about it, but does something because the other side actually did something?

You don't, really. At that point you realize that your goals are so different, that compromise can't be reached. You resign.

Mods shouldn't be blind sheep who dismiss severe problems with the game and with the community because the boss doesn't like it.

That's not what I said. People are entitled to their opinions. Herds of sheeple, as we can both agree, do not effectively manage communities. But there is a piece of information that we're missing here. He wasn't demodded JUST for this video. The details leading up to this, however, are all 'hush hush' apparently--or at least no one can be bothered to explain why. So we have to try not to confuse the details, here.

In fact, riling up the community might actually benefit Jagex more in the long run, despite their stubborn beliefs.

I think Jagex is doing a good job of that themselves lol.

In fact, mods should be taken more seriously by jagex than any regular player, because they represent the community of players. Not Jagex's stockholders.

I can agree with that.

I'm not sure what you mean with an "unified front". Are you saying that advert spammers aren't a problem that should be adressed? I'm pretty sure most players will agree that it should, and in this case, this should be your "unified front", and you should support this guy's message.

At the same time I'm pretty sure that Player Moderators and Forum Moderators cannot stop bots all on their own, no matter how hard they crusade. And as the 'cream of the crop' sort of players, the players that others look to as role models, they should have the sense not to throw fuel on the out-of-control-fire. Telling players to stop supporting their game isn't necessary--it will happen with or without these little whipped up frenzies. Showing the botting problem as he did in that video, in a way to really hit home how bad the problem is, is a more constructive way of going about things.

I think you should be more careful in your interpretation of my posts. I'm simply giving my opinion on moderator/community relations, having been one in various areas (not only on tip it) for probably about 5 years. I don't know enough information to agree/disagree with his demotion.

Point is, if mods are to be a "unified front", they should represent the players, and not Jagex. Because they are players, not Jagex employees or stockholders (well, they can be stockholders).

They have to represent both, with professionalism and maturity. You cannot represent one and forsake the other while still speaking from a position of authority given to you BY that community's owner. If a user is picked because of their maturity, their intelligence, the fact that they are good role-models...that should not be thrown to the wind simply because they are then given a higher status (be it imagined or true). It won't help the situation, and you're squandering any benefits you could have in such a position tbh.

hzvjpwS.gif

Jiblix, tell them they can't fire you, you quit!

Then come to TIF. You could probably get modship here quickly. You have a good reputation.

That's not how it works my friend,

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Then come to TIF. You could probably get modship here quickly. You have a good reputation.

If he acts the same way here he did on there, he'd be very popular.

That's not what I said. People are entitled to their opinions. Herds of sheeple, as we can both agree, do not effectively manage communities. But there is a piece of information that we're missing here. He wasn't demodded JUST for this video. The details leading up to this, however, are all 'hush hush' apparently--or at least no one can be bothered to explain why. So we have to try not to confuse the details, here.

I can't comment any further without knowing the details, so I won't. Anything I might have thought about Jagex's stance on this can change depending on those details.

crossed_body.png

If he acts the same way here he did on there, he'd be very popular.

Popularity =/= modship.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Besides, the Tip.it Times is critical enough of Jagex tbh lol.

Can you really blame us? Jagex don't give us much to write home about.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau