Jiblix and Ken Genosis Demodded Over Speaking Out

pal2002

By the time the voting occurred, I thought they had really improved their bot banning system, what a fool I was... now we're swimming in bots and RWT again, and even worse, the company itself silences the people who are merely speaking the truth... It's so sad that this happened :/

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dec 10th, 2007. The Day RS Died.

This.

I'm agreeing with this, only because the players were so goddamned stubborn about this matter, and refused to see that it was really for the better.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Now knowing everything that would take place, I would still have voted yes.

PKing is one of the main things I find fun in the game and they pretty much destroyed it.

Pking is destroyed with or without the wild, the game's changed in too many ways other than wild/FT.

Now knowing everything that would take place, I would still have voted yes.

PKing is one of the main things I find fun in the game and they pretty much destroyed it.

Pking is destroyed with or without the wild, the game's changed in too many ways other than wild/FT.

No it isn't.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

But it's all opinion. What has happened over the past few months in some peoples opinions really shouldn't "destroy" what was created by them over the past 10 years.

That's judging a book by its cover, and if that's all you're capable of... LOL.

So one's opinion of a game should be based on what playing it used to be like? Not sure I buy that..

@Zerker_Jane obviously "dead" is subjective when it comes to describing PvP but as someone who hybrids at easts frequently (or used to) I can say that PKing spots like easts and 44 portals were a lot more active back in the time of "new BH" than they are now

Was it worth the PR backlash? Did they mitigate any kind of damage that was already done? Was even more attention called to an unremarkable video that would have been ignored otherwise? (although somewhat enjoyable to watch in a twisted, detached way)

While these people are essentially brought on as puppet mouthpieces for what may or may not be an entirely savory operation, the idea here is to make their role as such as least obvious as possible.

8f14270694.jpg

You know, I'm not really surprised that Jagex silenced him. I mean, if I had someone working for me and they showed everyone my flaws, I would get rid of them like that, as I'm sure many of you would do also.

They didn't even really silence him. He's more than welcome to continue to smack talk them as much as he wants, within forum rules. The reason he was deFmodded was because he was abusing his power to get attention/hits on his videos.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

They didn't even really silence him. He's more than welcome to continue to smack talk them as much as he wants, within forum rules.

Yes, that's exactly why they hid his completely legitimate thread yesterday, only to unhide it after some hours. Because he is "more than welcome" to continue airing his opinions. Dare I laugh?

The reason he was deFmodded was because he was abusing his power to get attention/hits on his videos.

He was not only de-"F"modded, he was also de-"P"modded ;) And please enlighten me: where did he abuse his power? Where did he advertise his video? When and where did he attempt to draw attention to his videos? Would really interest me.

One thing I can tell you though - the best advertisement he got was the demod. Oops.

You know, I'm not really surprised that Jagex silenced him. I mean, if I had someone working for me and they showed everyone my flaws, I would get rid of them like that, as I'm sure many of you would do also.

That's the fastest way to make everyone hate your company/corporation. Sacking an employee because they had a dissenting opinion of your company would be far worse than if you had dealt with the issue internally.

They didn't even really silence him. He's more than welcome to continue to smack talk them as much as he wants, within forum rules. The reason he was deFmodded was because he was abusing his power to get attention/hits on his videos.

True, Jagex didn't silence him - they just made the whole matter a lot louder than it would have been normally. However I disagree that he used any of his power as an F/PMod to get anyone to view his videos.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

But it's short-sighted, because doing so creates a PR disaster.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

You guys are saying that's the fastest way to make a company hated and they should of dealt with it internally but I'm sorry, that's a load of garbage. If something is threatening you, especially in business, and you have the power to get rid of it, you get rid of it. Unless you want to make your company look like the victim, which is a while another issues, you eliminate threats. Jagex had every right to get rid of this guy and their move is a correct one and something I probably would also do. Get rid of the guy, and make sure everyone knows less people stand up to you. Dictation 101 right there people.

You guys are saying that's the fastest way to make a company hated and they should of dealt with it internally but I'm sorry, that's a load of garbage. If something is threatening you, especially in business, and you have the power to get rid of it, you get rid of it. Unless you want to make your company look like the victim, which is a while another issues, you eliminate threats. Jagex had every right to get rid of this guy and their move is a correct one and something I probably would also do. Get rid of the guy, and make sure everyone knows less people stand up to you. Dictation 101 right there people.

Eh, whether or not Jiblix was demodded because of that video, the fact that he was ensured he got a lot more attention. From a business point of view it would have been more logical to either have YouTube take down the video, or just let it be entirely. Customer satisfaction certainly dropped because of this mess, which would be bad for the business in question.

Edit:

Like Crocefisso stated above, it was short-sighted and caused a PR disaster.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I think it had less to do with the bot videos, and more to do with allegedly encouraging people not to vote for Jagex in the Golden Joystick awards.

It was really an outright anti-Jagex video, not really surprised he was removed as a mod. I mean why was he surprised Jagex asked people to vote for them, is he a bit fickle?

All he did was try to start an anti-vote campaign against Jagex, instead of just taking the personal choice of not voting he had to start a drive against them, his own fault if you look at it with open eyes.

In 'getting rid' of the threat, they've given this guy more momentum than he could ever have wished for by himself. If you're seen to be the aggressor, you always come off second-best in PR.

Counterproductive 101 right there.

I think it had less to do with the bot videos, and more to do with allegedly encouraging people not to vote for Jagex in the Golden Joystick awards.

It was really an outright anti-Jagex video, not really surprised he was removed as a mod. I mean why was he surprised Jagex asked people to vote for them, is he a bit fickle?

All he did was try to start an anti-vote campaign against Jagex, instead of just taking the personal choice of not voting he had to start a drive against them, his own fault if you look at it with open eyes.

So showing footage of how bad the botting problem is anti-Jagex now, right?

bot-related videos, and realize that there was no action even taken on Jagex's part in regards to this. Hell, they barely batted an eye towards it.

All of a sudden he mentions the Golden Joystick and gives his opinion on how they don't deserve to win, and the rest is now infamous. If nothing else, Jiblix only brought it to the public's attention, and made his own commentary on the matter.

There's a major difference between him blatantly saying, "OMG JAMFLAX SUX0RZZZZ DONT VOTE 4 DEM", and "They don't deserve to win this year". One's definitely anti-Jagex, the other is merely an opinion, which you may take at whatever value you wish.

s1L0U.jpg

In 'getting rid' of the threat, they've given this guy more momentum than he could ever have wished for by himself. If you're seen to be the aggressor, you always come off second-best in PR.

Counterproductive 101 right there.

Put that way, it sounds like what happened is a little bit like the Barbara Streisand effect to me. The video has 93k views now.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

So showing footage of how bad the botting problem is anti-Jagex now, right?

bot-related videos, and realize that there was no action even taken on Jagex's part in regards to this. Hell, they barely batted an eye towards it.

All of a sudden he mentions the Golden Joystick and gives his opinion on how they don't deserve to win, and the rest is now infamous. If nothing else, Jiblix only brought it to the public's attention, and made his own commentary on the matter.

There's a major difference between him blatantly saying, "OMG JAMFLAX SUX0RZZZZ DONT VOTE 4 DEM", and "They don't deserve to win this year". One's definitely anti-Jagex, the other is merely an opinion, which you may take at whatever value you wish.

I never said the botting videos were anti-Jagex, I said his campaign to convince others not to vote was.

I don't think his de-modding was anything to do with his bot videos, I think it was to do with his drive to convince others not to vote, hate having to repeat myself..

It is his opinion & one he is free to express, but surely Jagex can't be seen to allow their moderators to be belittling them, to demod him was a little harsh, but not unexpected.

Edit:

And just to add, he went a little further than just expressing his opinion, he was asking and telling others not to vote. It was defiantly more than just an opinion & more than just that one video that tipped it over the edge. I think he's right about f2p is really bad, but I mean you can just as easy make a video showing RuneScape empty as you can full of bots. To many people these days complain about everything, never happy unless they have a complaint. We are all aware there is a bot problem on RuneScape, but it's not quite as bad as his video makes it out to be, if you didn't know anything about RuneScape you'd think every server was like that on every world all the time.

Don't worry, when we go to RuneFest in October we will be logging onto a different f2p world each & then asking the Jagex staff face to face if this is acceptable.

To be fair its not just runescape that is having these problems. I remember 2-3 years ago i used to play a f2p mmorpg called mabinogi. It had a really nice community and almost no gold sellers and no bots at all. I recently played it again and first thing i saw were gold seller spammers. People were arguing about bots and even hacks on their offical forums. :-|

actually Jagex should applaud people like Jiblix. He is helping them to improve their product. If someone bought an iphone and posted a youtube video pointing out the flaws of the phone, that person has done the work for Apple for zero cost and they can now fix the problem that they didnt hve to spend any R&D expense to find.

But that relies on the premise that the company cares to make their product better....

thegame1431.png

actually Jagex should applaud people like Jiblix. He is helping them to improve their product. If someone bought an iphone and posted a youtube video pointing out the flaws of the phone, that person has done the work for Apple for zero cost and they can now fix the problem that they didnt hve to spend any R&D expense to find.

But that relies on the premise that the company cares to make their product better....

Being a customer and purchasing a product from a company and pointing out its flaws is one thing. You wearing that companies logo which there are several thousand others wearing, I'm sure, and telling others essentially to vote for a different product is a completely different story. Not only are you making your 'team' of logo-wearing volunteers look bad, but your running down the company itself. It would be different if you weren't volunteering for them and had a 'team' of people who are of the same status as you.

This wasn't a constructive video, providing opinions on how it can be stopped or detailing the positives.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I never said the botting videos were anti-Jagex, I said his campaign to convince others not to vote was.

I don't think his de-modding was anything to do with his bot videos, I think it was to do with his drive to convince others not to vote, hate having to repeat myself..

It is his opinion & one he is free to express, but surely Jagex can't be seen to allow their moderators to be belittling them, to demod him was a little harsh, but not unexpected.

Edit:

And just to add, he went a little further than just expressing his opinion, he was asking and telling others not to vote. It was defiantly more than just an opinion & more than just that one video that tipped it over the edge. I think he's right about f2p is really bad, but I mean you can just as easy make a video showing RuneScape empty as you can full of bots. To many people these days complain about everything, never happy unless they have a complaint. We are all aware there is a bot problem on RuneScape, but it's not quite as bad as his video makes it out to be, if you didn't know anything about RuneScape you'd think every server was like that on every world all the time.

Don't worry, when we go to RuneFest in October we will be logging onto a different f2p world each & then asking the Jagex staff face to face if this is acceptable.

Jagex is hiding any posts that mention voting for any other game. They've hidden a handful of mine that say nothing negative about RuneScape and positive things about Bejeweled 3.

If you state you are voting for a different game and offer positive reasons (great gameplay, animations, challenging logic, etc.), your posts are hidden.

If you simply state you are voting for a different game, your posts are hidden.

These are the marks of a company that has a weak product and strong competitors.

Do they really think Bejeweled 3 is their arch-rival for their gaming customers? icon_razz.gif

As for the specifics of the Jiblix situation, I don't see how anyone is surprised. If I was Jagex, I'd probably have done a similar thing (though with a lot more tact and a lot less abrasion).

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours