Jiblix and Ken Genosis Demodded Over Speaking Out

pal2002

I'll give every gp I have to any person who goes there with a sandwichboard sign on advertising gold for $.79

xD

To be honest, I think this guy's just trying to get attention for the most part, but it doesn't mean Jagex isn't a corrupt company. I personally have never liked Jagex during my entire time that I played the game.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex were an English company last I heard, and freedom of speech was a human right last I heard. And since all the guy did is tell people to think about whether or not to vote for Jagex, the fact that they demodded him speaks volumes about what they are turnnig Runescape into.

Yes it does. Freedom of speech, least in US technically only applies to the government. Private enterprise can stifle speech in any way they see fit. The fact that Jagex did this over that video shows how sad they are.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

You're seeing this whole thing from one point of view; that of the volunteer player. You're missing the other side. There's always two sides to every story. They're within their right to remove your name badge and hat because they are giving you that position as a privilege (See it was what you wish.)

The issue here is that, although Jagex were fully within their rights to remove his privileges, there's two more fundamental questions:

1) Was it morally right for them to do so;

2) Was it an effective solution to the problem that imminently faced them?

Now, for the first, I'd say it depends who you are. If it was the case that Jiblix was being paid to work for Jagex, or sponsored in some other way, then yes you could easily argue Jagex held the moral authority to remove him since they weren't getting their fair side of the deal any more. But this isn't the case--he was a volunteer who simply happened to air his opinion on a private YouTube account. They had no need to censor him, they did so because they're thin-skinned, and panicked about the effect this would have on their chance at winning this Joystick award, which frankly is a pretty crass reason to not allow someone a chance to share their opinion.

The second question has an obvious answer, the evidence being the fact we're discussing it right now. Which again calls into question their judgement.

Purely and simply, rights or wrongs aside, they just haven't dealt with this in a way that could possibly be described as 'good'.

His point was well made, his point wasnt "Wow look how many bots there are" It was "Is this worthy of being the best F2P game in the world?"

Certain people in this thread don't understand this.

I know this is semantics but... he said both of those statements at the same time really. The video wasn't exactly discursive was it?

Oh Jagex...

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ~,_. . . ..~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .=,_. . . .-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .=-._. . .;,,./`. . / . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Click my Signature to see what I've been up to...

Jake_Da_Man.png

My Capes in order: Woodcutting-cape-%28t%29-inv.pngMining-cape-%28t%29-inv.png

Incoming Anti Jagex material...

Sadly, as much as we may disagree with an action by Jagex, it won't be changed. It's the unfortunate fact. They *own* the forums. Part of their terms and conditions states that they can at any time ban you, remove your moderator status, etc etc for any reason. It also states they *run* the forums and freedom of speech does not exist within the RuneScape forums. Call it 1984 or not, it's their forums. I hate it but we need to deal with it. It's why I usually read Tip.It as a guest sometimes, but I can't help but comment on some threads such as these. :)

Mod Baker011 has said it himself - Having a green background means you are a representative of the company (It's laughable, I know), and you must be in line with what the company says. Rest assured, not many people like this policy and I am told quite a number of Forum Mods are making quite a kerfuffle over the recent events. A number of very respectable Forum Mods, too. People I never see in 'negative spotlight' towards Jagex.

I can't help but quote another Forum Moderator anyway,

"There is no freedom of speech when the forums are owned and operated by Jagex. They have the right to say what can and can't be said on their forums."

"You really have no idea how ticked off we are. You also have no clue how much complaining over recent events we have done. The point is at any time they can take any of our statuses away. They have that right, they can even ban us its in the terms & conditions. So if they do they do. But saying that we are all hiding when you have no clue is really rather low."

"You all say you have friends that were in my shoes. Then ask them if I'm not hacked off. However until the day that Jagex sees they no longer need me, I can at least be helpful until I'm not needed.

Make no mistake I'm sure my days are numbered. but until then keeping the forums running smoothly is my priority."

It's sad, it's disgusting. What can ya do, though? :|

Sad how some moderators speak as if Runescape forum is their real life job.

It's a volunteer position - it's not like an in-game moderator role.

When you post something, it stays on the forums until the thread dies. It's unlike a player mod where if you report someone, nobody sees it. So yes, it's an authoritative role. It's not a real life job, and I can assure you the people who have been recently demodded are in no way interested in the crown. It's just the fact that the moderator teams are unable to voice their concerns as much as they wish - to the extent that it applies *outside* of the RuneScape forums (ie: Youtube).

If a company hires employees, it has reasonable expectation that it's employee's do not badmouth them. When a person willingly volunteers to do 'work' for a company, regardless of the fact it's being done for free, the same rules still apply.

I'm with Jagex on this one to be honest. Sure, he has valid points, but there has to be a line you don't cross, and it appears that he crossed it.

If a company hires employees, it has reasonable expectation that it's employee's do not badmouth them. When a person willingly volunteers to do 'work' for a company, regardless of the fact it's being done for free, the same rules still apply.

I'm with Jagex on this one to be honest. Sure, he has valid points, but there has to be a line you don't cross, and it appears that he crossed it.

You seem to misunderstand the fact that moderators are players first. They do not get free membership, they still pay for the game and are expected to get the same service as they *do* pay for the game. If they are discontent with something they are paying for, they are entitled to express their opinion. It would be foolish to expect moderators to not have an opinion. If so, just remove all of them. You can't tell people to not have an opinion. Crossing the line would be on terms with abusing your moderator privileges, not following appropriate procedures, not expressing something you do not like in RuneScape.

We need moderators to clean up the spam and make sure the community is safe, if Jagex wants to impose this policy, get rid of all of them entirely, because it's no use. Players *fullly* understand that a green background is still a player. Unless of course, you are a new player, but that should not matter as the number of those players who browse the forums are very, very, low.

I do not want a moderator team full of 'yes men' who simply follow the sheepherd that be of Jagex, and I am thankful there is a bit of a disturbance with the other team. They wouldn't demod everyone. ;)

And I'd say he didn't not cross any reasonable line. That video isn't critical really. It's just things as they are.

Not only that, but he didn't even do it on their forums. He did it on a third party site.

His point was well made, his point wasnt "Wow look how many bots there are" It was "Is this worthy of being the best F2P game in the world?"

Doesn't those two kind of go hand in hand? :-? If he wasn't like saying "wow look how many bots there are", then he definitely would say something different.

You seem to misunderstand the fact that moderators are players first. They do not get free membership, they still pay for the game and are expected to get the same service as they *do* pay for the game. If they are discontent with something they are paying for, they are entitled to express their opinion. It would be foolish to expect moderators to not have an opinion. If so, just remove all of them. You can't tell people to not have an opinion. Crossing the line would be on terms with abusing your moderator privileges, not following appropriate procedures, not expressing something you do not like in RuneScape.

We need moderators to clean up the spam and make sure the community is safe, if Jagex wants to impose this policy, get rid of all of them entirely, because it's no use. Players *fullly* understand that a green background is still a player. Unless of course, you are a new player, but that should not matter as the number of those players who browse the forums are very, very, low.

I do not want a moderator team full of 'yes men' who simply follow the sheepherd that be of Jagex, and I am thankful there is a bit of a disturbance with the other team. They wouldn't demod everyone. ;)

picard-facepalm.jpg

YOU have missed the point. YES, they are players first. Not once was that questioned. But, with the crowns, they become representatives of Jagex. It is IRRELEVANT whether they are paid or not, get free p2p or not, they are still bestowed with a 'representative role' in which they most enforce the rules. If they act contrary to the best interests of Jagex, you should damn well expect they lose their priviledges. Tarnishing the reputation of the company.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

picard-facepalm.jpg

YOU have missed the point. YES, they are players first. Not once was that questioned. But, with the crowns, they become representatives of Jagex. It is IRRELEVANT whether they are paid or not, get free p2p or not, they are still bestowed with a 'representative role' in which they most enforce the rules. If they act contrary to the best interests of Jagex, you should damn well expect they lose their priviledges. Tarnishing the reputation of the company.

I'll quote the KBase:

11. What is a Forum Moderator?

A Forum Moderator is a champion of the forum community.

Jagexs forums are incredibly busy. Our players make tens of thousands of posts every single day. Although our staff are reading and posting on the forums 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the sheer popularity of the forums means its still not possible for us to read absolutely everything that is posted, or to take immediate action on every single situation that requires it.

This is where the Forum Moderators come in. They are players who volunteer their time to help keep the forums fun and safe. Because there are many FMods, they are able to read and respond to a lot more forum posts than our staff members alone. They bring a lot of things (good and bad) to our attention. And if immediate action is necessary and appropriate, they can take that action.

In particular, potential Forum Moderators need to be able to get into a debate with other players, express their own opinions in a reasonable way, and not react in the wrong way when other people disagree. Some people seem perfectly friendly until they run into a difference of opinion, then become hostile and abusive; these players wont be picked as moderators.

I don't think you can post links on general RSOF forums.

Thats probably why he was demodded, because he doesn't even know the rules... lol.

As for the video... YOU VOTED FOR IT DON'T CRY. (who really cares about f2p anyway.)

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Your point?

Edit: @Moe

His point was that he's being punished acting exactly how in the KB they say they want their mods to act.

But Moe, we all know the KB is rarely accurate. Clearly the website team got wrong what Jagex wants their forum mods to do, aka help silence the dissenters.

-edit- Golv, it's because the Golden Joystick awards he's talking about is in the catergory of f2p.

Jagex are looking increasingly like the Soviet Union towards the end of its days.

I think we need a campaign to bring Jiblix back onto their team.

I've voted for Bejeweled 3 over RS in the Golden Joysticks this year anyway. I'm not rewarding Jagex for being lazy and crass.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Yes it gives them something to discuss, but if you look at it closely most of the people taking part in this actually have no idea what they're ranting about. NOT A CLUE. Most people don't even know him or the lengths he went through to get where he was.

If you're getting every bit as hysterical as the misinformed people does that make you any better than the people you're upset with?

I'm getting hysterical, or simply trying to inform and correct?

It reads more likely that you're here to misdirect and obfuscate -- really.

Nobody's said that anything about what Jiblix has done as "groundbreaking" or "illuminating" -- the point is that one of the "faithful" has taken a stance about botting -- made further commentary about it -- and, as a result, has been defrocked.

Just because you've got personal issues with Jiblix, it doesn't mean his point wasn't well-made.

It wasn't well made. If I wanted to see bots I could do it myself. There's nothing new, at all. And there's other people saying that he's after "Uncovering the truth" and Jagex have been trying to "Cover up" the bot problem. How [bleep]ing stupid can some people be, seriously? And then for the attitudes of people like you. Jiblix is nothing but an attention [bleep]. He did it until he became a Moderator, and obviously the attention he was receiving must have died down so he needed to relight that fire.

As BioIce said: "For someone who loved and thrived in attention, becoming a "martyr" is hardly surprising. Nothing more enjoyable than to be talked about gaining even more fame and notoriety. You have to admit, he has put an uncomfortable focus on botting and whether Jagex deserves the Golden Joystick this time around while getting his kicks from the whole thing."

This isn't a personal problem, this is actually knowing what's going on - knowing what you don't know, Blyaunte. I'm not mis-directing at all. People are taking this case as if he's a good guy and is suddenly being punished... When that couldn't be further from it.

Well let me just say Carl, you haven't got the slightest idea of my intentions. I never wanted to be branded a martyr or have people riot on my behalf. When I heard about the news it was utterly disappointing that they expected to win this award for a third year in a row with the help of their player base. My intentions were not to make a video that was "oh look a bot there, there and there.. vote no!' I just wanted people to realize what their vote meant. I never told anyone to vote yes and I never told anyone to vote no.

It was never about me or about getting a lot of attention - I wasn't even thinking about that at all. I was so shocked that it actually went viral to be honest.

I don't want to be viewed as a martyr and I don't want people to riot because of this. It was simply trying to convey a mention to players that this is what F2P has been reduced to.

Jibby

I don't want to be viewed as a martyr and I don't want people to riot because of this.

Too late. You being de-modded for this in many people's eyes makes you a martyr. Players fed up with the direction Jagex is going made you into their martyr.

That's not inherently a bad thing, mind you. Coming at the heels of the referral update, the answer to the question of "does Jagex deserve the best F2P title a third year in a row" is even more obvious.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Jagex are looking increasingly like the Soviet Union towards the end of its days.

I think we need a campaign to bring Jiblix back onto their team.

I've voted for Bejeweled 3 over RS in the Golden Joysticks this year anyway. I'm not rewarding Jagex for being lazy and crass.

Vote for League of Legends, as that seems to be the biggest competition.

td2sig.jpg