Posts Now Support Anchors!

Posts Now Support Anchors!

We are very pleased to announce a new addition to our BBCode that will be fantastic for blogs and guides: anchors! Named anchors allow you to create a kind of "bookmark" inside of a post. You can then link to this bookmark to jump down to certain sections in a post. For an example, check out the new table of contents in our Tip.It Forum Rules!

So how does it work?

First find the section you want to link to and create a named anchor like so:

[anchor]namehere[/anchor]

For example, if I want to link to rule 1.3 - Flaming, Violence, Harassment & Pointless Vulgarity I might put:

[anchor]flaming[/anchor]

This anchor is invisible and does not appear anywhere in the body of your text.

Next, jump up to your table of contents (or wherever you want to reference the anchor) and insert the following code:

[anchorlink=namehere]URL text here[/anchorlink]

The "anchorlink" name must be the same as the name you made before! So for my previous example, I would put:

[anchorlink=flaming]Link to rule 1.3 - Flaming, Violence, Harassment & Pointless Vulgarity[/anchorlink]

This method only works if you want to link to an anchor inside of the current thread. If you want to link to an anchor that is in another thread, you must use the following alternative with regular URL tags:

[url=http://forum.tip.it/topic/48092-tipit-forum-rules/#flaming]Link to rule 1.3 - Flaming, Violence, Harassment & Pointless Vulgarity[/url]

For quick reference/creation, you can find the BBCode for anchors under the "Other Styles" dropdown menu when creating a post!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Very nice. Is there anyone to thank specifically for this update?

Me.

JK :P I'd assume it would be Peter though...

Thanks for this addition :thumbup:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Very nice. Is there anyone to thank specifically for this update?

Peter <3:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

First off, congratulations on implementing this feature! :thumbsup:

Now, I've gotta ask... Could we please have some toolbar buttons for implementing usage of these, as well as the QFC tag, please? :idea:

~D. V. "Well done! And yet I feel like something's missing?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Can the anchors work across multiple pages of a thread? Or can they only work on the page that the anchor is set on?

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Can the anchors work across multiple pages of a thread? Or can they only work on the page that the anchor is set on?

I'm not 100% sure on this since I haven't tested it but since the URL changes for each page you will probably have to use the direct URL to link to an anchor on a different page.

Posted Image

I'm not 100% sure on this since I haven't tested it but since the URL changes for each page you will probably have to use the direct URL to link to an anchor on a different page.

I've just tested this out on a topic of mine, and tripsis is correct - the direct URL method must be used instead as the regular anchorlink tag won't recognize an anchorname that isn't on the same page as the link.

- - -

In addition, it might be worth pointing out that:

• You CAN link to anchors in other user's posts, as long as that post is on the same page as yours
  • Links to anchors that are placed within HIDE tags WILL NOT WORK unless the "Show" button has been clicked and the HIDE tag has been expanded.

Hope it helps somewhat. :thumbup:

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

First off, congratulations on implementing this feature! :thumbsup:

Now, I've gotta ask... Could we please have some toolbar buttons for implementing usage of these, as well as the QFC tag, please? :idea:

~D. V. "Well done! And yet I feel like something's missing?" Devnull

Added. We're going to get a second one added for anchor links later today but I can't be bothered to get out of bed just yet to make it :P

Posted Image

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Added. We're going to get a second one added for anchor links later today but I can't be bothered to get out of bed just yet to make it :P

Thank you for adding what you have so far. :)

BTW, so that your life can be made extremely easy (read "possible to do in your sleep"), might I suggest making the anchorlink button an anchor with a quote snapback arrow? :D

~D. V. "Nice! Have an idea to boost along with!" Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

@ Tripsis -- Well done on the AnchorLink Button! It identifies itself perfectly! :thumbsup:

~D. V. "Awesome!" Devnull