12-Oct-2011 - The Pit

Trey

Welcome, pesky human, to The Pit! The names Scrambles the Werewolf, and Id like to commend you on your exceptional taste in distractions and diversions.

Whats that? You dont remember how you got here? Well, you showed a general nimbleness at one of RuneScapes many agility courses. Snotgut, my sidekick, has written a list of the agility courses and dropped it in a summary box at the bottom of this newspost for you. Go have a look once weve finished talking. You see, by gracefully completing several agility laps, you were lucky enough to catch the Talent Scouts eye and he called you over with his big blue fist. After a chat, he whisked you to The Pit to see ol Scrambles and Snotgut, so that you could test your luck on one of our six knee-knocking surprises:

Floor is Lava

High-Low There

Karaoke

Put the Thing in the Other Thing

Punch the Hungry Sheeps

Crate Expectations

Thats them right there. Proud of those titles, we are. Well pick which game you play at random, of course, as there are no favourites here. Fail at the task and well hand you some of that XP you adventurers seem to like nowadays. Wont be much, mind: roughly the same youd have got from the agility course you just left. Knock our hairy socks off with your agility skills, though - beating the diabolical tasks we set you - and youll be taken backstage for a bumper batch of XP, a chance to gamble it all, and a gorilla mask. Why a gorilla mask, I hear you ask? Because we think youll look...uh...dashing in it. Ha!

Once were finished, youll be dropped back where you started, where you may/may not have a memory of what happened at the dreaded, befuddling, fantastical Pit! Mwahahahaha!

Scrambles (AKA mod_giragast)

Agility Werewolf and RuneScape Content developer

Summary:

How to start The Pit:

Complete successful laps at the following courses and you might catch the Talent Scouts fist eye:

Gnome Stronghold Agility Course (basic and advanced)

Agility Pyramid

Barbarian Outpost Agility Course (basic and advanced)

Ape Atoll Agility Course

Wilderness Agility Course

Werewolf Agility Course

Dorgesh-Kaan Agility Course

Requirements to start The Pit:

None. As long as you are a member, you can enter The Pit at any level simply complete successful laps of an Agility course and then talk to the Talent Scout if you are lucky enough to attract his attention (a yellow arrow will appear above the Talent Scout if you can play The Pit).

In other news...

If youve got a level 99 Agility skillcape, you can get a sneak peek at The Pit by simply talking to the Talent Scout.

You can now type up to 255 characters in a private message.

Patch Notes. Thanks eesiw!

[hide]

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

Gravecreeper's burn attack has been reworked to hopefully resolve some client crashing issues.

Magic secateurs no longer use the aura graphical effect for swords.

Spottier capes now sit closer to the player's back.

Sacred clay hats no longer cause players to use the old eye models.

The gnome scarf no longer stretches when performing certain emotes.

Dragon gauntlets no longer clip through dragon claws.

A misaligned roof-piece in Varrock has been fixed.

Quests & Tasks

The Guardians of Armadyl have now realised what happened during Ritual of the Mahjarrat, and have updated chat to reflect these events.

Tai Bwo Wannai Trio's quest requirements have been updated to work correctly with the quest filter.

Bob the Cat once again gives out cat toys after Ritual of the Mahjarrat.

Drakan's Medallion no longer uses charges when teleporting from within the Shades of Mortton catacombs.

The quest icon for Salt in the Wound now uses the updated model for the Slug Queen.

Players who were in an invalid state near the end of Enakhras Lament can now complete the quest by returning to Akthanakos.

Bob the axe seller will now talk about the Task System during the Lost Tribe quest.

A trapdoor in the Wilderness no longer advises players to find Hartwin if they havent started Defender of Varrock.

Minigames & Distractions

A selection of around 60 new items can now be invested in Mobilising Armies.

Players are no longer forcibly walked off a certain tile near Mobilising Armies.

Miscellaneous

The Blood ancient spells now heal for 1/4 of the damage dealt by the player, rather than a quarter of their max possible hit.

The Player Loyalty shop items can now be reordered in several different ways.

Split private chat is no longer slightly covered up above the chat window.

Clicking on the All chat tab now switches back to public chat mode.

Fishing using a small net now has sounds attached.

The magic longbow (sighted) now uses the correct attack sounds.

Monkey archers now have updated sound effects.

The Tune Bane Ore icon in the skill advance guide has been fixed.

Fishing karambwan now gives the correct 105xp instead of 5xp.

Destroying a Dwarven Army Axe no longer refers to Moe the Mendacious and Larry the Languid.

The special attack tool tip now disappears correctly when switching weapons.

Working at the woodcutting plots in Clan Citadels will now generate a faster rate of timber.

A reminder message from the Task System was unclear.

Beaver familiars no longer get stuck trying to chop trees if the tree gets cut down unexpectedly.

FAQ:

~ RuneScape Content ~

Recent Update - FAQ

This sticky has been created in response to the most commonly asked questions regarding the most recent game update.

Whilst we continue to gather feedback, we will add any other frequently asked questions regarding this update to this thread - you may wish to check back every now and then.

Enjoy!

Why are most of the tasks you have to do in the pit based on sheer luck, rather than player skill?

Mod Giragast: Scrambles and Snotgut dont want to watch you run in circles, they want you to take a chance, and reward you handsomely for making it through unscathed! Or have a good laugh if you dont, theyre easy to please really. Chance is at the heart of The Pit, thats why the experience rewards can be so good at the later courses. Variety is the spice of...skilling?

Mod Mark: Dont worry, there are plenty more skill orientated agility updates planned for the future.

The article states you cannot be holding anything in your hands. What about when you receive this D&D when you are at Ape Atoll and you have a full inventory? Could a bank be introduced at the event?

Mod Giragast: You never know what event could be planned out for you to play so having your hands free in advance makes sense, but you only need them free to start the event so you can keep carrying anything you like right up until you speak to the scout. As for a bank, would you trust the scout with your possessions? Im just glad hes not bright enough to rob me when Im knocked out!

Mod Mark: Its likely that your inventory has got food in it though, right? Hopefully. the experience of the event is more than enough to justify eating a piece of food early.... or perhaps you could donate it to one of your fellow monkeys?

Why are people with the Agility allowed to do The Pit straight away when others could have to wait a long time to do it?

Mod Giragast: Everyone loves a celebrity, and Scrambles and Snotgut will do anything to get more of RuneScapes top-most athletes to compete in their games. After all, with level 99 in Agility you deserve it!

Mod Mark: Players with level 99 in a skill are often short-changed by new content we add. Content like this is triggered by training agility. Arguably, if I have level 99 in a skill I dont really need to train it anymore. The notion of forcing them to do so to get an event when they already had level 99 in a skill was unacceptable for us. So we added the training option here.

Can we have the Agility Cape effect added to Max/Completionist Cape please?

Mod Giragast: Consider it done! Youll have it shortly.

Can something be done so random events don't stop us from entering the pit?

Mod Giragast: Ill have a chat with the respective people involved, Mr. Mordaut, Evil Bob, Molly, and the rest, and see if I can convince them to cut you some slack. Thats assuming I manage to get back out of the events again...

Will more tasks be added to The Pit?

Mod Giragast: Scrambles and Snotgut are pretty knackered at the moment what with everyone coming and going at The Pit. Maybe some time in the future theyll get a few moments away from reading and bickering at each other to come up with some more events.

Mod Mark: Its unlikely we did launch with 6 events which is quite a lot of variety already for any sort of content.

Why did you spell sheeps wrong? Shouldnt it be sheep instead?

Mod Giragast: Dont blame me, Snotgut came up with the names!

Mod Mark: Sometimes a developers humour isnt quite the same as the players!

Does my skill level make a difference to the experience that I get?

Mod Giragast: No, the only things that matter are the course you were running laps at and the event you played. A harder course means more XP!

I got poisoned by a scorpion!

Mod Giragast: Oh no! Aggressive little buggers arent they. Ill see if I can stop them from poisoning you when you need to talk to the scout but be careful, that wont stop them from attacking you!

Will you consider adding more rewards in the future?

Mod Giragast: Depends what those two have to spare laying around The Pit. A paint roller? Scrambles dog bowl? Tatty homemade costumes? None of it is particularly pleasant to the nose!

Mod Mark: Unlikely. The XP here and the fun of the event itself is the primary reward.

Can we be seeing a full gorilla outfit any time soon?

Mod Giragast: Are you crazy?! That mask stinks enough as it is, youll never wash off the smell of an entire outfit!

Can you allow us to store the mask in our POH?

Mod Giragast: Ill get right on that.

Will we have to go through the same old dialogue when we do The Pit?

Mod Giragast:: Once youve played through each of the six events at least once youll get the option to skip the introduction dialogue, and you can always click outside of the chat window to move things on a little more quickly.

The Pit looks really awesome, any chance of the courses themselves receiving an update?

Mod Giragast: Those two havent even managed to finish painting The Pit yet, theres no way theyll get the energy together to spruce up existing courses! Mind you, the Gnomes and Werewolves might get jealous of how nice The Pit looks and fix things up themselves just to keep up appearances. Time will tell!

Will you release any more Agile clothing?

Mod Mark: Yes, in the future.

"Is it really worth my time playing the events?"

Mod Giragast: Part of the fun in putting together The Pit, aside from creating a goblin with sheep addiction, was in finding ways to give people a break, not only from running Agility courses but also to give you a change of pace from the concentration and precision that training the Agility skill requires.

Right from the start, The Pit is there to hopefully amuse and entertain for a few short minutes, but also to make it worth your time to take part in the various silly events too. While its true that the events and rewards dont have much do with Agility, thats the entire point! The Pit is there to give you a small change from the routine.

So why play The Pit? Its a great source of experience! Even failing an event will net you the equivalent experience that you would have gotten, and in some cases more - and dont forget, the course you run makes a big difference to the experience you get. With a little luck, you might find yourself winning and coming away with an experience bump that would have taken you many more laps to achieve, and just for a few minutes of your time.

We are, as always, keeping an eye on your feedback regarding the rewards and gameplay found within The Pit, and are happy that many of you seem to be enjoying it However, We have noticed that many people who fail simply dont feel that the XP is enough to replace the time and effort they invested in exploring The Pit and the game within. We will continue to monitor this situation and will let you know if we change it. Remember - as your knowledge of the games increase, the time you have to invest to attempt and solve it decreases.

If running laps is your favourite thing, then The Pit will always be waiting in case you need a quick change of scenery, just remember that there is a well of frantic experience to be mined only a few steps away.

[/hide]

4e0Vn.png

I got really lucky:

1. Did quite a number of laps at the Barbarian Assault Advanced Course.

2. Got the attention of the Talent Scout.

3. Got the activity "Punch the Hungry Sheep."

4. Punched the first sheep I saw, got the key.

5. Gambled my experience points, gained double.

XD Short lived!

Welcome back, TIF!

As for The Pit, I think it's a pretty neat-o update. Not something that has hours of content, but a nice way to break up the monotony of agility training. I have to admit, I laughed at the lame jokes made by Snotgut and Scrambles.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I've played it a few times and only won once.. Should make it so if you fail, you can continue playing and try again until your time runs out.

Just my opinion.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Patch notes: (wanted to put it in spoiler/hide tags but it gave weird errors, [edit works again])

[hide]

Patch Notes

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

Gravecreeper's burn attack has been reworked to hopefully resolve some client crashing issues.

Magic secateurs no longer use the aura graphical effect for swords.

Spottier capes now sit closer to the player's back.

Sacred clay hats no longer cause players to use the old eye models.

The gnome scarf no longer stretches when performing certain emotes.

Dragon gauntlets no longer clip through dragon claws.

A misaligned roof-piece in Varrock has been fixed.

Quests & Tasks

The Guardians of Armadyl have now realised what happened during Ritual of the Mahjarrat, and have updated chat to reflect these events.

Tai Bwo Wannai Trio's quest requirements have been updated to work correctly with the quest filter.

Bob the Cat once again gives out cat toys after Ritual of the Mahjarrat.

Drakan's Medallion no longer uses charges when teleporting from within the Shades of Mort’ton catacombs.

The quest icon for Salt in the Wound now uses the updated model for the Slug Queen.

Players who were in an invalid state near the end of Enakhra’s Lament can now complete the quest by returning to Akthanakos.

Bob the axe seller will now talk about the Task System during the Lost Tribe quest.

A trapdoor in the Wilderness no longer advises players to find Hartwin if they haven’t started Defender of Varrock.

Minigames & Distractions

A selection of around 60 new items can now be invested in Mobilising Armies.

Players are no longer forcibly walked off a certain tile near Mobilising Armies.

Miscellaneous

The ‘Blood’ ancient spells now heal for 1/4 of the damage dealt by the player, rather than a quarter of their max possible hit.

The Player Loyalty shop items can now be reordered in several different ways.

Split private chat is no longer slightly covered up above the chat window.

Clicking on the ‘All’ chat tab now switches back to public chat mode.

Fishing using a small net now has sounds attached.

The magic longbow (sighted) now uses the correct attack sounds.

Monkey archers now have updated sound effects.

The Tune Bane Ore icon in the skill advance guide has been fixed.

Fishing karambwan now gives the correct 105xp instead of 5xp.

Destroying a Dwarven Army Axe no longer refers to Moe the Mendacious and Larry the Languid.

The special attack tool tip now disappears correctly when switching weapons.

Working at the woodcutting plots in Clan Citadels will now generate a faster rate of timber.

A reminder message from the Task System was unclear.

Beaver familiars no longer get stuck trying to chop trees if the tree gets cut down unexpectedly.

[/hide]

FAQ:

[hide]

~ RuneScape Content ~

Recent Update - FAQ

This sticky has been created in response to the most commonly asked questions regarding the most recent game update.

Whilst we continue to gather feedback, we will add any other frequently asked questions regarding this update to this thread - you may wish to check back every now and then.

Enjoy!

“Why are most of the tasks you have to do in the pit based on sheer luck, rather than player skill?”

Mod Giragast: Scrambles and Snotgut don’t want to watch you run in circles, they want you to take a chance, and reward you handsomely for making it through unscathed! Or have a good laugh if you don’t, they’re easy to please really. Chance is at the heart of The Pit, that’s why the experience rewards can be so good at the later courses. Variety is the spice of...skilling?

Mod Mark: Don’t worry, there are plenty more “skill orientated” agility updates planned for the future.

“The article states you cannot be holding anything in your hands. What about when you receive this D&D when you are at Ape Atoll and you have a full inventory? Could a bank be introduced at the event?”

Mod Giragast: You never know what event could be planned out for you to play so having your hands free in advance makes sense, but you only need them free to start the event so you can keep carrying anything you like right up until you speak to the scout. As for a bank, would you trust the scout with your possessions? I’m just glad he’s not bright enough to rob me when I’m knocked out!

Mod Mark: It’s likely that your inventory has got food in it though, right? Hopefully. the experience of the event is more than enough to justify eating a piece of food early.... or perhaps you could donate it to one of your fellow monkeys?

“Why are people with the Agility allowed to do The Pit straight away when others could have to wait a long time to do it?”

Mod Giragast: Everyone loves a celebrity, and Scrambles and Snotgut will do anything to get more of RuneScape’s top-most athletes to compete in their games. After all, with level 99 in Agility you deserve it!

Mod Mark: Players with level 99 in a skill are often short-changed by new content we add. Content like this is triggered by training agility. Arguably, if I have level 99 in a skill I don’t really need to train it anymore. The notion of forcing them to do so to get an event when they already had level 99 in a skill was unacceptable for us. So we added the “training” option here.

“Can we have the Agility Cape effect added to Max/Completionist Cape please?”

Mod Giragast: Consider it done! You’ll have it shortly.

“Can something be done so random events don't stop us from entering the pit?”

Mod Giragast: I’ll have a chat with the respective people involved, Mr. Mordaut, Evil Bob, Molly, and the rest, and see if I can convince them to cut you some slack. That’s assuming I manage to get back out of the events again...

“Will more tasks be added to The Pit?”

Mod Giragast: Scrambles and Snotgut are pretty knackered at the moment what with everyone coming and going at The Pit. Maybe some time in the future they’ll get a few moments away from reading and bickering at each other to come up with some more events.

Mod Mark: It’s unlikely – we did launch with 6 events which is quite a lot of variety already for any sort of content.

“Why did you spell ‘sheeps’ wrong? Shouldn’t it be ‘sheep’ instead?”

Mod Giragast: Don’t blame me, Snotgut came up with the names!

Mod Mark: Sometimes a developers humour isn’t quite the same as the players!

“Does my skill level make a difference to the experience that I get?”

Mod Giragast: No, the only things that matter are the course you were running laps at and the event you played. A harder course means more XP!

“I got poisoned by a scorpion!”

Mod Giragast: Oh no! Aggressive little buggers aren’t they. I’ll see if I can stop them from poisoning you when you need to talk to the scout but be careful, that won’t stop them from attacking you!

“Will you consider adding more rewards in the future?”

Mod Giragast: Depends what those two have to spare laying around The Pit. A paint roller? Scrambles’ dog bowl? Tatty homemade costumes? None of it is particularly pleasant to the nose!

Mod Mark: Unlikely. The XP here and the fun of the event itself is the primary reward.

“Can we be seeing a full gorilla outfit any time soon?”

Mod Giragast: Are you crazy?! That mask stinks enough as it is, you’ll never wash off the smell of an entire outfit!

“Can you allow us to store the mask in our POH?”

Mod Giragast: I’ll get right on that.

“Will we have to go through the same old dialogue when we do The Pit?”

Mod Giragast:: Once you’ve played through each of the six events at least once you’ll get the option to skip the introduction dialogue, and you can always click outside of the chat window to move things on a little more quickly.

“The Pit looks really awesome, any chance of the courses themselves receiving an update?”

Mod Giragast: Those two haven’t even managed to finish painting The Pit yet, there’s no way they’ll get the energy together to spruce up existing courses! Mind you, the Gnomes and Werewolves might get jealous of how nice The Pit looks and fix things up themselves just to keep up appearances. Time will tell!

“Will you release any more Agile clothing?”

Mod Mark: Yes, in the future.

"Is it really worth my time playing the events?"

Mod Giragast: Part of the fun in putting together The Pit, aside from creating a goblin with sheep addiction, was in finding ways to give people a break, not only from running Agility courses but also to give you a change of pace from the concentration and precision that training the Agility skill requires.

Right from the start, The Pit is there to hopefully amuse and entertain for a few short minutes, but also to make it worth your time to take part in the various silly events too. While it’s true that the events and rewards don’t have much do with Agility, that’s the entire point! The Pit is there to give you a small change from the routine.

So why play The Pit? It’s a great source of experience! Even failing an event will net you the equivalent experience that you would have gotten, and in some cases more - and don’t forget, the course you run makes a big difference to the experience you get. With a little luck, you might find yourself winning and coming away with an experience bump that would have taken you many more laps to achieve, and just for a few minutes of your time.

We are, as always, keeping an eye on your feedback regarding the rewards and gameplay found within The Pit, and are happy that many of you seem to be enjoying it However, We have noticed that many people who fail simply don’t feel that the XP is enough to replace the time and effort they invested in exploring The Pit and the game within. We will continue to monitor this situation and will let you know if we change it. Remember - as your knowledge of the games increase, the time you have to invest to attempt and solve it decreases.

If running laps is your favourite thing, then The Pit will always be waiting in case you need a quick change of scenery, just remember that there is a well of frantic experience to be mined only a few steps away.

[/hide]

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I've had the Pit event 3 times. All I wanted was the Gorilla Mask. The first time I had browser issues, had to refresh the tab, and it didn't keep me in the event. The second time I had the falling rocks thing, I failed at clicking on the last fall. The third time I had the put the thing in the other thing event and failed at clicking/didn't realize the time was already going down at the beginning while looking for where to place the things, I needed like 3 more seconds and I would have had it. I quit.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

It's a distraction.

Not bad, i just don't like the luck factor.

If you fail, the exp is insanely low.

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]

I remember the first day this came out that Buttwhoopchi dc'd the first time he got in. The game didn't recognize that, and he was locked out of the D&D without even having a chance to try.

It's a bit poor execution in that aspect but it sounds nice though.

hzvjpwS.gif

The Blood ancient spells now heal for 1/4 of the damage dealt by the player, rather than a quarter of their max possible hit.

Wait, what?

If you have the potential to do max 100 damage but only do 40, the spell now heals only 10 hp instead of 25. This means that the amount healed is no longer the same amount every time, but is variable depending on how much damage you do.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Wait, what?

If you have the potential to do max 100 damage but only do 40, the spell now heals only 10 hp instead of 25. This means that the amount healed is no longer the same amount every time, but is variable depending on how much damage you do.

Eg it fixes the fact blood mage was meag over-powered in places like clan wars or soulwars where they had masses of targets so their max possible hit was always like 2-3 time their health so they were near impossible to kill even if they weren't hitting.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

the pit is not that bad it is extremely luck based tho first one i got is the low high first number was 9 so i picked low next number was 3 so i picked high and lost it mabey should be a little less and a little more

agility

the pit is not that bad it is extremely luck based tho first one i got is the low high first number was 9 so i picked low next number was 3 so i picked high and lost it mabey should be a little less and a little more

agility

less luck*

Primarily luck-based, bad reward if you fail, and there was potential to this update that wasn't reached. Honestly, I hope they add some more content to the pit so I don't feel the need to continue on laps instead of talking to the scout since I have the mask now.

I hope they add more to this. Otherwise, this wasn't worth being a main update.

^win

Anywho:

YAY (stay tuned for how much faster ;))

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I think the lumber is now at a 1.46/cut ratio, instead of 1.16, it did feal faster. :P

I assume you mean T1 since T2 was 1.25 already

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue