The Back Room

stevepole

Funny, I downloaded a PKMN Gold ROM today and I've been playing it with a lot a fast forwarding, got my starter strong enough to beat the rival's pokemon alone with some other strong pokemon in reserve. Currently finished last Jhoto gym, heading for Khanto.

Ross, there's a difference between an emotionless world and emotionless individuals.

One'd still be able to think, like Cleverbot does (although it is more limited than one'd be) and one would, like Spirit and Endavour be ablle to accomplish more than one's supposed to. They were sent there to do some tests and die, look at them now still achieving massive feats far beyond their expiration date.

And yes, I'd liove to be a machine, I'd love to be able to live without attachements and dissapointments, to be able to develop myself as if my body was just a frame for me to work on, the abillity to see beyond what our brains are limited to comprehend.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Again, I say, without emotion there is no desire.

Without desire, progress is an illusion. If there is no emotion, there is no will to improve, there is nothing but an empty box that is to be manipulated by something which is able to feel emotion, to know desire, to have the will to progress.

My feelings on the matter are simple. I would want to live forever, but without emotion, everything is meaningless.

2Xeo5.png

I beg to differ.

The potential for improvement granted by desire is several thousand orders of magnitude higher than that granted by natural selection.

Take humanity as our prime (And only) example. In our society, natural selection and evolution have all but halted. The gears of progress still turn only because of our emotions and, as a branch of that, our desire. Without them, we'd still be rolling around in the mud to disguise ourselves so we could stab that tasty looking lion with a sharp rock.

In fact, that's a bad analogy, because that would imply that we'd have improved even that much. The only reason we are still here is because of desire, in my eyes. The desire to survive, the desire to rule, the desire to feast upon the flesh of the world and make ourselves stronger.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to leave before my opinion decides to wildly fluctuate again, as it does on a near weekly basis.

2Xeo5.png

We will never cease to evolve, it's just that a few millenia offer almost no time for what nature requires. In a few million years we could be flying around with a sonar similiar to bats and dolphins.

Those are not desires, those are instincts, thought patterns genetically incoded intp us.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

At this stage, we should assume evolution is true and go from there, waiting for someone to prove that it is false in some form or another.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Mather, are you obsessed with the Terminator too? I share Rosses opinion on this. No emotions will mean no progress, because memories are made of emotions, and what are we but the sum of our memories? Nothing.. And the fact that without memories, what can we improve on? Nothing, because every day we will lose what scarce progress we would make..

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

maybe we should actually prove that evolution is factual before we start making promises of bat sonar :rolleyes:

Actually, as shown on Stan Lee's Superhumans, there is in fact a blind man who can navigate by echolocation.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

maybe we should actually prove that evolution is factual before we start making promises of bat sonar :rolleyes:

Actually, as shown on Stan Lee's Superhumans, there is in fact a blind man who can navigate by echolocation.

Not to mention the guy immune to rattlesnake venom, people with improved vision...

Sometimes it comes with practice, sometimes by genetics. Sometimes both.

a70c7.png

Yep, sure is. How do your childhood memories of playing Zelda feel now?

Fine since that's all bogus anyways. Look at the save files in the two videos.

Dusty, this is more of if you steal a whole baker's stall you'll have to pay with one bread... only on a slightly more vital scale.

Not really. Not really at all.

Yep, sure is. How do your childhood memories of playing Zelda feel now?

Fine since that's all bogus anyways. Look at the save files in the two videos.

Dusty, this is more of if you steal a whole baker's stall you'll have to pay with one bread... only on a slightly more vital scale.

Not really. Not really at all.

Of course they were editing an emulator, it's just funny how potentially sadistic that game could be at times =p

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Mather, are you obsessed with the Terminator too? I share Rosses opinion on this. No emotions will mean no progress, because memories are made of emotions, and what are we but the sum of our memories? Nothing.. And the fact that without memories, what can we improve on? Nothing, because every day we will lose what scarce progress we would make..

Actually I've never seen it.

And memories exist as either electrical signals or physical neuron pathways, depending on wethere they are short term or long term.

Dusty, we're talking about it as punishment for serial killers.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Torture for the sake of justice is a self contradictory statement, Mather.

And yes, that includes forced lobotomy.

Also, I'm fairly certain that there are a fair amount of people out there who would be willing and capable of performing a lobotomy for a price, so if you really hate your emotions, why not look into it? I do not mean this as an insult, merely a query to attempt to fully grasp your reasoning on this subject.

2Xeo5.png

Rocco, you were the one who asked how one person could pay more than one life.

Ross, lobotomy is not torture, it is personality altering through cranial surgery. And it actually leaves the mind incapable of torturing itself.

Even though I do hate my emotions right now, I do have hopes for the future.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Hope. Funny thing, hope. There isn't much difference between hope and desire, when you get down to it.

Which brings me back to the point that emotions create desire. You maintain the notion of "the future", and have hope for it, despite hating your own emotions. Without that hope there would simply be stagnation.

Also, forced lobotomy is a torture. If they decide they want that instead of say, a lifetime prison sentance, then alright, but forcing somebody to have a lobotomy is no better than torture.

2Xeo5.png

But when there is no alternative such as prison, there is just public service, psycological treatment and lobotomy it is not hard to place the serial killers. They are to dangerous to attempt any other treatment on and a shrink would have to be superhuman to prevent the psychological decay such a guilt puts on the mind. The entire point of a technocracy is to place the country in the hands of the smartest and thereby preventing any numbskulls from ruling the country, it also means that any gouvernement services are out of the question since the entire nation is to be split into sectors based on what field people work within, everyone are sivilians and thus prisons would not exist because there are no officials.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1