The Back Room

stevepole

On a separate note, how has life been treating you Ross? Been doing anything of interest lately?

If you're still fiddling with Rift, I might have to try it out. :thumbup:

Yeah, still raiding, although it's getting fairly tiring and eating into my schedule.

2Xeo5.png

In response to H2PM: that's not all bad. I used to bring a plastic bag, that's big enough to hold a sandwich, to school that was half granulated sugar half cereal. And thats how I earned the name Sugar Rush. Ironically, I have never had a sugar rush.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that my plan for tonight doesn't backfire on me. I'm pairing up everybody to play two different games....

Thing is, with those types of diseases that there are so many false positives and false negatives that anybody who actually diagnoses Asperger's, Autism, or any other disorder on that spectrum should be taken with a mountainous pile of salt. Because a lot of the traits that these conditions entail also appear extremely often in people who are 100% without the disorder, especially in edge cases where the person in question is suspected of having a minor form of it.

No disrespect intended, of course, and I don't mean to imply that this applies to you, but at one point, I was diagnosed with minor Asperger's, but I'm fairly certain I do not have it, I was just a bit of a [puncture] back then.

I was actually reading an interesting article about how the increasing diagnostic prevelance of autism/aspergers is a result of human selective breeding. (Tendency of people to marry and produce kids with similar people)

The new concentration of female engineers makes engineer pairings more likely, and the characteristics of aspergers happen to be more prevalant in engineers (and thus, their pairings would have a markedly increased chance).

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Two things; First off you're self diagnosed, that's hardly an unbiased and expert opinion. Secondly, aspergeres is like ADHD/ADD, something that while it exists, is misdiagnosed quite often and used as an excuse to act like a jack off "Oh its not my fault that I'm a jack ass, I have ADD/Asbergers, I know because I've drawn conclusions about myself, for what is essentially a mental disorder."

I am not self-diagnosed, nor was it my idea to get it checked.

Thing is, with those types of diseases that there are so many false positives and false negatives that anybody who actually diagnoses Asperger's, Autism, or any other disorder on that spectrum should be taken with a mountainous pile of salt. Because a lot of the traits that these conditions entail also appear extremely often in people who are 100% without the disorder, especially in edge cases where the person in question is suspected of having a minor form of it.

I have several of both the positive and negative traits that come with Asperger's, many of those that I don't have can be attributed to the therapy I went to in order to "learn to play" when I was a little kid (apparently before that, my idea of playing was to go find somewhere to sit for hours).

And to mather, you are AWARE that you were doing something, and that blamed it on your mental disease, so if you were fully concious the whole time, why continue?

No, what I'm doing is being aware that my mental disorder is responsible for a difficulty that I find myself partially incapable of overcoming, and that it as a direct result caused all but one of the bad things about my life.

Although what you said is not an uncommon thing as mental disorders do not only make you do things you don't want to do, they also make some things come more naturally or prohibit other options through discomfort.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it has ruined my life, I'm saying my social [developmentally delayed]ation is my "only" bad characteristic that I can think of and that it's one that I would like to be rid of.

"Only" because I don't really give a [cabbage] about my Hyperlipidemia when I come to think of it, even though it's an obvious flaw.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

And to mather, you are AWARE that you were doing something, and that blamed it on your mental disease, so if you were fully concious the whole time, why continue?

No, what I'm doing is being aware that my mental disorder is responsible for a difficulty that I find myself partially incapable of overcoming, and that it as a direct result caused all but one of the bad things about my life.

Although what you said is not an uncommon thing as mental disorders do not only make you do things you don't want to do, they also make some things come more naturally or prohibit other options through discomfort.

If you can realize that you're making a decision, you can stop it. You can't act as if all the bad things in your life are out of your control. Because they aren't.

You seem reeeeal eager to excuse your own shortcomings as simple facts. You're just too lazy and too content to fix them. I suppose this isn't a horrible thing, but at least stop being so blatant and insistent about it.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I am fully aware that they are within my control, I just find extreme discomfort in intervening, in some cases I'd imagine what I feel during social interaction with people I don't know well would be the equivalent of what you feel after realizing you forgot to put on some pants before going to school.

And I am in no way too content to fix it, because I will never be fine with being single, you could say... [bleep], there's no excuse... I'm just too scared of that discomfort to go up to and talk to someone I don't know.

Also for me, forgetting pants would seem like a bliss, because as long as I can't be blamed for it, it could only solve problems.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

H2PM: nope, I'm not a diabetic. I was diagnosed as ADHD when I was a kid.

And I've been called mentally unstable by a couple of people (here in the tavern?)..... probably true too....that or I've got some mental condition neither my family or I know about.

Also, giving medication to kids with serious mental conditions (such as those on the serious end of the autism scale) seems like a bad idea.... (heh, so says the one who is afraid of medication and thinks that doctors are evil unless they're saving someone's life)

Edit: mental. I meant to say mental.

I leave for a few hours and now Mather is winning an argument...

Well excuse me for being socially [developmentally delayed]ed as a result of my diagnosed mental condition.

Thats true...

On the other hand...I deal with it.

Seriously, I am absolutely terrible at all social activities, I know, accept and deal with that fact.

How do I do this I hear you ask? Well, it is fairly simple...I know that people don't want to hear about the various facets of my day, I know that people have little or no interest in my ramblings about the way the world works, or the state of this, or that.

Because I know this I avoid talking to other people unless they initate the conversation, and I compensate by taking an active interest in everything and anything anyone talks to me about.

Thusly, I can bypass my crippling social deficency in the majority of cases.

Even going so far as to having friendships...even if they are terribly one sided a lot of the time.

And from these friendships I have been able to draw on experiances and develop sets of tactics and such for dealing with conversations I have to initate, and dealing with conversations were I have to control things.

These conversations invariably break down at some point, but for a while I am capable of having a proper conversation.

As such, if I, who quite probably, given our history, my therapist's notes and ect, have a case of similar or equal level aspergers...Then to have you come along and go 'Actually...I can't really be asked...Pity me.'

Is unbelievably offensive.

Yeah, I understand, sometimes you want to tell random people random things that you are absolutely sure that they will be interested in...I get that, I will desperately want to tell Louis something totally random which relates to a conversation I remember from a year or two ago that he probably found to be of little consequence...and yet for an hour, or two, that trivial bit of information is so massively consuming that any time that I am not doing something I will find myself debating whether or not to tell him about it.

And, of course, sometimes people find it interesting, and the majority of the time they don't. There is no way to really distingush between the two, since if we could then we wouldn't have the same degree of trouble as we do...We would just instictively know that it really isn't THAT important to share that information.

And so we have a very simple choice...

We can either hold back as much as we can, releasing only occassionally, when we think we have a clear sign from the other person that they would be receptive to the information we have...which is what I do, and more often than not it is flattened into the conversation, and we move on because, although it was interesting, it really wasn't that big a deal.

OR

You can bring it up, drawing attention to it and then get annoyed when they don't find it particularly interesting. Then get into a discussion about how you feel that people should respect your views by virtue of you not being able to contain them.

Now then, do I expect you to take the blindest bit of notice? No, of course not.

My finely honed skill of detecting how interested someone is in what I have to say is telling me that no one here actually gives two thoughts to this issue, because it is a non-issue.

People are annoyed because this is not an isolated issue, but one that has accumulated over a long period of time, and because of that the patience that people might have once had is no longer there.

Autism is not a medical condition, it's a mental one, there's no medicine that can ease it... unless you count alcohol and date-rape drugs...

How ludicrous.

Thats like saying 'Child care is not a medical condition, it is a physical one, there is no medicine that can ease it... unless you count alcohol and date-rape drugs...'

The 'problem' is still there...You are just decreasing the amount of time you have to 'endure it'...and by not enduring it you are setting yourself up for greater and greater problems later and later in your life.

As to Retech's hypothesis, I would draw you attention to Parkinson's Law of Social Work:

The demand upon a resource tends to expand to match the supply of the resource.

And increasing number of Professors of Psychology, and an increasing number of Psychological Professionals has increasing the supply of the resource, and thus demand must, invariably, inflate to match supply.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Contrary to popular belief, diabetees is not caused by sugar, it is instead the obesity that is normally caused by a high sugar diet that will cause type 2 diabetees. (I think it's type 2)

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Contrary to popular belief, diabetees is not caused by sugar, it is instead the obesity that is normally caused by a high sugar diet that will cause type 2 diabetees. (I think it's type 2)

Yep. Type 1 diabetes is the more 'natural' diabetes - the one you can get almost regardless of what you do. Type 2 is the 'you intake so much sugar so regularly that your insulin production just can't keep up.' That is, if I recall reading about diabetes correctly.

As for mental disorders, I am uncertain as to whether or not I have any, but I'm pretty sure that I don't give a crap if I do or not.

a70c7.png

Mather. Let me get this right in my mind. You're blaming a disease, most likely self-diagnosed, which you're going to label Aspergeres/ADHD (I have ADHD thank you very much) on being a total [bleep] 90% of the time. Or on being a social hermit 10% of the time. I don't know, nor do I care. Cut the [cabbage]. Cut the stupidity. I'm not happy that every time I come here every single argument is almost entirely caused by you, contains so much [cabbage] you'd need a field of cows to match it, and most often containing statements of such sheer WRONG as Seraph already said. So please. Stop.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Earth, I am not blaming my diagnosed Asperger's for the way I act or what you have perceived as a lack of friends, I am blaming it for my lack of interest in going to social gatherings and my inability to get a girlfriend.

Thats true...

On the other hand...I deal with it.

Seriously, I am absolutely terrible at all social activities, I know, accept and deal with that fact.

How do I do this I hear you ask? Well, it is fairly simple...I know that people don't want to hear about the various facets of my day, I know that people have little or no interest in my ramblings about the way the world works, or the state of this, or that.

Because I know this I avoid talking to other people unless they initate the conversation, and I compensate by taking an active interest in everything and anything anyone talks to me about.

That is the same way I act among people I do not know well, although my reason not to initiate conversation is my discomfort for doing so rather than reasoning.

Thusly, I can bypass my crippling social deficency in the majority of cases.

Even going so far as to having friendships...even if they are terribly one sided a lot of the time.

And from these friendships I have been able to draw on experiances and develop sets of tactics and such for dealing with conversations I have to initate, and dealing with conversations were I have to control things.

These conversations invariably break down at some point, but for a while I am capable of having a proper conversation.

I do have a lot of friends and I am more than capable than interacting with them with next to no difficulty.

As such, if I, who quite probably, given our history, my therapist's notes and ect, have a case of similar or equal level aspergers...Then to have you come along and go 'Actually...I can't really be asked...Pity me.'

Is unbelievably offensive.

I was not asking for pity, just for people not to expect of me what they expect of people who do not have a mental condition.

And so we have a very simple choice...

We can either hold back as much as we can, releasing only occassionally, when we think we have a clear sign from the other person that they would be receptive to the information we have...which is what I do, and more often than not it is flattened into the conversation, and we move on because, although it was interesting, it really wasn't that big a deal.

OR

You can bring it up, drawing attention to it and then get annoyed when they don't find it particularly interesting.

I don't get annoyed when people don't find it interesting, I only get slightly annoyed when they display their disinterest in an aggressive manner such as Nex did and continued to do even after I tried to change the subject.

Then get into a discussion about how you feel that people should respect your views by virtue of you not being able to contain them.

Asperger's was not brought up as a reason why I share my views, it was brought up as a reason for why going to a social event was out of the question as an alternative for what I could have been doing. For the discussion of my sugar intake however, my stance was "I know it's bad, but I was bored."

How ludicrous.

Thats like saying 'Child care is not a medical condition, it is a physical one, there is no medicine that can ease it... unless you count alcohol and date-rape drugs...'

The 'problem' is still there...You are just decreasing the amount of time you have to 'endure it'...and by not enduring it you are setting yourself up for greater and greater problems later and later in your life.

That was exactly what I was getting at, to ease the impact of a person's mental condition you have to ease the impact of their personality. There's no way to actually remove them even for a short time, only to omit large parts of the brain.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I know some visual basic which is a good starter language to learn the way code sort of looks, and how you write it. As the way code writing goes, the languages all share some common traits.

Also to anyone who has watched the new Doctor who episode

[hide]

PRETTY MUCH JUST AS PLANNED THE EPISODE. I like how they are starting to sum of the Riversong plot.

It's getting really good

One thing I regret is how they really are changing the characters unexpectedly.

[/hide]

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Stork, why don't you go ahead and rename this Argue About Pointless [cabbage] Just for the Purpose of Arguing Room.

But there's a board already called that, under a different name though.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Would you mind helping me later? I'm likely going to be making a paintball turret at school and it will most likely have to be controlled by visual basic through a USB card.

Visual basic is a lot easier than you think. Once you learn the syntax then you have already learned the language. Remembering all of the commands and such isn't really THAT necessary, and if I ever encounter a problem I look at forums for answers.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Mather, overall I agree with your points(Not about alcohol and such, but that is a seperate point entirely)...the majority of the blame should fall on Nex for making a big deal out of what is, afterall, not that much of a big deal.

It (Eating lots of sugar) is, a silly thing to do, but we are all guilty of doing silly things, and we should expect some ribbing for that.

My only real problem was with:

Well excuse me for being socially [developmentally delayed]ed as a result of my diagnosed mental condition.

It is, regardless of what you say, a banner that says 'Pity me'.

Pity evokes a tender or sometimes slightly contemptuous sorrow or empathy for people, a person, or an animal in misery, pain, or distress

You are asking for people to treat you more...gently, for want of a better word...because of a medical condition.

People will make up their own minds on how to treat you and you need to respect that as much as possible, or it just generates hostility, as can be seen.

And regardless of who is blame for that hostility, you, and the people like you(aka me), are the people who bear the brunt of the resentment generated.

So you can throw your condition around if you want, but it doesn't help matters.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Icu, I know but that project still seems to be a little out of my league seeing as using a video stream to detect movement and calculate the position of that movement first into yaw and pitch angles, then into pulses appears to be a little too complicated since I haven't even gotten started on learning visual basic yet.

Archi, well it wasn't supposed to be a "Pity me", it was a "Way to be considerate, smartass!"

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1