30-4-2012 The RuneSpan

Sylpheed

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is making Runecrafting easier a bad thing?

The people who have issues with it are typically those who don't think a mini-game should offer some of the best exp rates in the game. The counter to that is many don't consider this a minigame. To which people would probably say why is it only in the RCing guild then with no real ties to the over-world. And back, and forth, and back, and forth.

I can see the points of both sides in the argument. And it is pretty clear that there has been a larger emphasis on minigames and Distractions and Diversions (or JoT aura/wisdom/etc) to train skills over the years. That certainly doesn't help players being slightly upset.

hzvjpwS.gif

I really don't see the argument of boohoo it gives better rc xp than ZMI cause pre-ZMI is only a small margin better than the best altar choice; at ZMI level its only slightly better than ZMI. Sure ABOVE zmi it gets much better still but that's not a flaw thats a good thing, skills aren't meant to plateau they are meant to have a nice smooth curve all the way up to 99.

And sure we can back and forth on the is it a mini-game issue but guess what! Jagex has decided it's not (no mini-game icon, not in mini-game section of wiki and devblog specifically says it is not), so it doesn't have to conform to those standards. And tbh the no over-world ties is kinda a flawed logic with this once since the actual part of rcing that gives the xp (the making of the runes) has almost no ties to the over-world the only exceptions being the relatively recent ZMI and Astral.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I really don't see the argument of boohoo it gives better rc xp than ZMI cause pre-ZMI is only a small margin better than the best altar choice; at ZMI level its only slightly better than ZMI. Sure ABOVE zmi it gets much better still but that's not a flaw thats a good thing, skills aren't meant to plateau they are meant to have a nice smooth curve all the way up to 99.

And sure we can back and forth on the is it a mini-game issue but guess what! Jagex has decided it's not (no mini-game icon, not in mini-game section of wiki and devblog specifically says it is not), so it doesn't have to conform to those standards. And tbh the no over-world ties is kinda a flawed logic with this once since the actual part of rcing that gives the xp (the making of the runes) has almost no ties to the over-world the only exceptions being the relatively recent ZMI and Astral.

I still don't get why people have so many issues with "minigames".

crossed_body.png

I'm not even sure why you'd argue if Runespan is a minigame or not because that's completely irrelevant.

The point is, it gives best rc exp in the game for the least effort out of any runecrafting training method. Those two don't belong in the same sentence. A much better way to balance it would be to tune the most demanding content to give the best exp rates, and have content like Runespan at a happy medium where it's not useless (people would still do it at lower exp rates because it's a more relaxing way to train the skill) but at the same time doesn't obsolete all the other related content in the game.

You might also want to read the first article in the new Tip.it Times for more information.

I'm not even sure why you'd argue if Runespan is a minigame or not because that's completely irrelevant.

The point is, it gives best rc exp in the game for the least effort out of any runecrafting training method. Those two don't belong in the same sentence. A much better way to balance it would be to tune the most demanding content to give the best exp rates, and have content like Runespan at a happy medium where it's not useless (people would still do it at lower exp rates because it's a more relaxing way to train the skill) but at the same time doesn't obsolete all the other related content in the game.

You might also want to read the first article in the new Tip.it Times for more information.

But other content is not obliterated the high end runes still have a high demand and now they have a much lower supply so normal runecrafting is amazing profits.

Ease of doing it does not matter to xp rates. Most of the best xp rates in-game are easy to do compared to other methods for that skill.

What does matter is versatility, which this brings to the skill and that some methods are for xp while others for for profit. This update brought this.

Runespan = xp

ZMI = xp and some profit

Normal rc = profit.

It's just pointless whining because it is the nature of an MMORPG that things get easier in time, every single skill, monster and quest in-game has been and will be made easier by content that post-dates it. It always will be the way of the game and whining about it is pointless just get on with it.

In the grand scheme of things this is nothing in terms of 'making it easier' the cook-x and fletch-x blow it all outta the water. They went from 2 of the hardest to get 99s due to needing breaks for boredom and avoiding RSI to 2 skills you can do in like a week.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yay for double runespan points this weekend. (No one made me a topic to post in yet. =p)

Are you [bleep]ing kidding me.

GG Jagex.

GG Indeed.

fyi i know you arent

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Yay for double runespan points this weekend. (No one made me a topic to post in yet. =p)

Are you [bleep]ing kidding me.

GG Jagex.

GG Indeed.

fyi i know you arent

wats wrong with double points? point =/= xp

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Wonder if the doubling occurs on siphon or on trade-in.

"Over the whole weekend youll receive double points in the Runespan for any successful siphon."

Is there much use for the points after you've already gotten all the wicked robes?

Byzantus.png

Sure freaking helps when you doing the whole deal. Full wicked+recolour+staff+rank one.

At this point in time I still got 83k points to go to unlock it all. Ganna benefit from it greatly.

Points>XP. Quite happy to get this considering its mostly an arbitrary number for rank one anyway. Dont care about xp.

Is there much use for the points after you've already gotten all the wicked robes?

There are the ranks if you're interested in a trimmed comp cape.

Hmm, trimmed comp cape isn't exactly in my reach yet =P

And for as far as i know the staves also aren't that great...

Byzantus.png

There are the ranks if you're interested in a trimmed comp cape.

Hmm, trimmed comp cape isn't exactly in my reach yet =P

And for as far as i know the staves also aren't that great...

The staves doo look sexy though. Kinda wanna buy the greater one and load it with fertile soil for farming or house tele or something just to look cool. Certainly not a combat worthy item.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

"Over the whole weekend youll receive double points in the Runespan for any successful siphon."

That's rather vague though, I mean, points are calculated based off the runes in your inventory, and cashed in when you leave the Runespan. So I'm wondering if they're going to implement a new mechanic just for this weekend or take the lazy way out.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

"Over the whole weekend you’ll receive double points in the Runespan for any successful siphon."

That's rather vague though, I mean, points are calculated based off the runes in your inventory, and cashed in when you leave the Runespan. So I'm wondering if they're going to implement a new mechanic just for this weekend or take the lazy way out.

I don't see how doubling points per rune is an issue, seems like you are over-thinking it.

People already pretty accurately worked out like air rune is 0.3 points etc. All they dod is put in a *2 on the rune values table so an air rune becomes 0.6 and everything continues as normal with runes used/gained subtracting/adding points.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

"Over the whole weekend you’ll receive double points in the Runespan for any successful siphon."

I don't see how doubling points per rune is an issue, seems like you are over-thinking it.

People already pretty accurately worked out like air rune is 0.3 points etc. All they dod is put in a *2 on the rune values table so an air rune becomes 0.6 and everything continues as normal with runes used/gained subtracting/adding points.

Double points per rune. Each rune in inventory is cashed in for points upon leaving the Runespan.

Suppose I go in now and stockpile 25k points worth of runes and stay in the Runespan. Come Saturday, how many points will they cash in for?

6Ij0n.jpg

Double points per rune. Each rune in inventory is cashed in for points upon leaving the Runespan.

Suppose I go in now and stockpile 25k points worth of runes and stay in the Runespan. Come Saturday, how many points will they cash in for?

Even with the alternate way of points doubled on exit you'd still face this issue.

Only way around it would be everyone getting auto-ejected when the weekend turns on OR just not bothering with it as an problem.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Considering you get auto logged-out after 6 hours, this doesn't seem like such a huge issue altogether.

You get autologged after 6 hours, but you're still in the Runespan, so when you log back in, all your runes are still in your inventory, and the points they're worth haven't been cashed in yet.

6Ij0n.jpg

Auto-logging is irrelevant you can log out in the runespan as much as you like.

Plv6Dz6.jpg