30-4-2012 The RuneSpan

Sylpheed

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, it gives best rc exp in the game for the least effort out of any runecrafting training method.

Blatantly untrue. Non-Runespan runecrafting is running back and forth doing the same action repeatedly. Runespan asks you to search around and cooperate with others to get the best xp.

The point is, it gives best rc exp in the game for the least effort out of any runecrafting training method.

Blatantly untrue. Non-Runespan runecrafting is running back and forth doing the same action repeatedly. Runespan asks you to search around and cooperate with others to get the best xp.

But not searching around and not cooperating with others is still the best rc exp in comparison to non-runespan training methods.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

But not searching around and not cooperating with others is still the best rc exp in comparison to non-runespan training methods.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

Excuse me while I fit that into my sig.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It just occurred to me that using a skill as an attack ability was an old suggestion I had with updating slayer to incorporate other skills. While I thought of other skills, I never thought of runecrafting. Seeing how Jagex knocked this one out of the park, it would have been simple to add a slayer requirement to the hounds and wraiths in Runespan. That would not have subtracted much from runespan as esslings could still be used for the ess.

The other skills I thought could be for slayer monsters: Mummies - Fire, Sharks and fish (in underwater areas) - Fishing, Ents - Woodcutting, Golems - Mining, Shrubs - Farming, etc. Wonder if Jagex could still consider it?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

If you consider playing xbox while afking Runecrafting as 'making the game more fun', I'll concede the point.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

I think everyone can agree that being on the lookout for mages while finding good nodes is more fun than running through the abyss for what seems to be thousands of hours. I've done over 150k runes in the abyss or ZMI, and trust me, this runespan is way more fun.

WarBlastoise.png

If you consider playing xbox while afking Runecrafting as 'making the game more fun', I'll concede the point.

It is your choice to be a boring afker you COULD chose to make your gaming experience more fun by remaining at the game being generally sociable with randomers, friends and clan mates.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It is your choice to be a boring afker you COULD chose to make your gaming experience more fun by remaining at the game being generally sociable with randomers, friends and clan mates.

I am sociable with randomers, I get in quite a few arguments every day. But really, Runespan is less monotonous than traditional Runecrafting methods, I admit, but it's not what I would call fun.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

I am sociable with randomers, I get in quite a few arguments every day. But really, Runespan is less monotonous than traditional Runecrafting methods, I admit, but it's not what I would call fun.

But no-one said it HAD to qualify as fun, just that it was MORE FUN than older methods; something can be more fun than something else without actually being fun. Eg having a tooth removed is more fun than being shot, but it certainly is not a fun experience.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The gameplay at the Runespan is inherently more engaging than running ZMI: it includes elements of teamwork; it has meaningful milestones to work towards; its gameplay dynamically changes as you level up; it has elements of variance that occasionally pay out rewards; the yellow wizards add a dynamic searching subgame for a more rewarding experience...

Basically, it is an objectively better game design. And the graphics really are some of the best in the game.

Are there different versions of runespan? I think I'm playing the wrong one.

There are 3 floors. First 2 are f2p and for lower levels. Third floor is p2p only and for 66+ rcers.

Sure, you can go out of your way to hunt wizards (that have a tendency to teleport right before you reach them, is that good design too?), but it's in no way the main focus of the activity. Most people still seem to afk 1-3 islands. And why not. It was designed to be good exp for no effort. And now it's *their* fault the content is boring instead of Jagex's?

In no way is this afk-training promoting activity "good design" or "engaging" or all the other cool words you used. Also the gameplay doesn't change as you level up. Mid level nodes + in rare cases wizards is what you're always doing.

The gameplay at the Runespan is inherently more engaging than running ZMI: it includes elements of teamwork; it has meaningful milestones to work towards; its gameplay dynamically changes as you level up; it has elements of variance that occasionally pay out rewards; the yellow wizards add a dynamic searching subgame for a more rewarding experience...

Basically, it is an objectively better game design. And the graphics really are some of the best in the game.

As much as I consider RuneSpan a boon, I'm inclined to agree that it's still only relatively fun, the value of which is questionable, since as per Sy's example, having dental work done is relatively fun compared to being shot. I spent the majority of my time in RuneSpan also playing PS3 (while still hopping around, no less) and can easily determine what I was getting more enjoyment from. The variables in RuneSpan that would make it more engaging are not different enough from each other, such as they are in Dungeoneering. In fact, everything else you mentioned - elements of teamwork, meaningful milestones, and dynamically changing gameplay - are heavily apparent in Dungeoneering, which is why I would use that as a base for comparison. I'm not sure what teamwork RuneSpan has to offer, unless you mean node calling, which is hardly necessary most of the time, or siphoning the RuneSphere, which is the same thing you do for the entirety of the rest of the Span, except in a specific area. Leveling up RC only gives you access to creatures and nodes that function exactly the same but are different looking, so I'd hardly call those "meaningful milestones," nor would I apply such a designation to the paltry ranks or rewards on offer. Finding the yellow wizard is somewhat variant, and although I would not deem it fun, it was a nice touch.

2dgucz6.png

@ Troacctid, Zerker_Jane, Sy_Accursed, do any of you know what you're actually arguing about now? I've lost track. Your argument seems to have degenerated into more of am "I'm going to prove that I'm right" as opposed to trying to prove any sort of point.

Objectively: Runespan is far more fun then old RC. It's less monotonous, less click-intensive then old RC, and gives more exp. As best as I can tell (haven't actually tried it yet) you can put in extra thought and attention if you want more exp.

You can't deny that it's a vast improvement over old RC. Old RC was pure repetition except for RS' random events, and maybe the occasional abyss PK'er if you abyss RC'ed.

Also, it is good design in RS, imho, to have an afk method for a skill and a better, more interactive and engaging method for faster training. In theory, the RuneSpan is like this.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I'm surprised no jmod has posted about whether current points will be doubled.

Someone did mention that it might just be the points syphoned that are counted. I'm sure that the way things were coded it might not actually be points converted on leave based on hats in your inventory, but based on what you syphoned. So maybe you get runes for the xp, but points are based on what you syphoned.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

wats wrong with double points? point =/= xp

I'm about 2hrs from 99 having spent the last week and a half here. Could've used those extra points -__-"

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Someone did mention that it might just be the points syphoned that are counted. I'm sure that the way things were coded it might not actually be points converted on leave based on hats in your inventory, but based on what you syphoned. So maybe you get runes for the xp, but points are based on what you syphoned.

Would make sense if inventory points score did not fall when you 'spent' runes travelling, chipping or at wizard.

Plus if you buy the rune-pack to get started inventory points goes up.

Plus there'd be no logical reason to have inventory points that get traded in if they could not fall as well as rise.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Would make sense if inventory points score did not fall when you 'spent' runes travelling, chipping or at wizard.

Plus if you buy the rune-pack to get started inventory points goes up.

Plus there'd be no logical reason to have inventory points that get traded in if they could not fall as well as rise.

With that said... We REALLY need some jmod confirmation.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I'm thinking they might just put the bonus points straight into your overall count, rather than what you're holding in your inventory. This would stop point hoarding before the weekend and not remove additional points for travelling.