30-4-2012 The RuneSpan

Sylpheed

Keeping them means you could go back with all your runes and wait till you *wanted* points. This would mean no more regathering. I think that would be very much better. Especially if the wizards stored them for you when you exited, and only converted to points when you wanted them to.

While I don;t think we need that option this kinda surmise the 'why would smuggling matter' issue.

Untradable runes that can't be used for mage whose only purpose is within the game even if you DID get them outside all you'd do is take them back in with you where'd they'd become 'inventory points' once more

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping them means you could go back with all your runes and wait till you *wanted* points. This would mean no more regathering. I think that would be very much better. Especially if the wizards stored them for you when you exited, and only converted to points when you wanted them to.

Probably the sole reason for holding back on this is to reduce the amount of data stored on servers, as for dungeons disappearing after a fixed amount of time.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I think this is probably the most liked update I have had in a long while. I have liked many others recently but this is probably most enjoyed one that has taken up more of my free time just so I can play it. Best bit is there so many ways to go about it. Afking or not so much afking. Sometimes just a change of scenery and doing something else but at only a slight loss of points/hr. (Because 250k or wtf points is alot...)

I like the outfit personally. The rewards arnt so good.. Yet the XP is so I aint as fussed by lack of rewards.

Pouch = Bs. I think it good idea that rank 1 would make the pouch repairable/indestructible. (Not that I would ever use it but to give it a point in reaching that rank.)

Also the logo thing is far too small and bit pointless. No one would ever really know the difference without getting a pair of glasses.

I have to say.. Since runefest and the information came out. I was instantly not bothered as it seemed a bit too hyped. (No offence mod slayer.) Followed by that countdown timer.. Just seemed to confirm my lack of interest. Unfortunately their track record for hyping content usually backfires! I am pleasantly surprised how nice it is. Countdown timer was over the top but the content itself is pretty cool.

Best bit of all was phoenix odins reaction to it. :lol: :-#

Should I go for all nods or only the ones that give more xp than the current creature im siphoning?

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

That would depend on your runecrafting level, and I don't know the P2P xp, but probably just the higher nodes.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It really depends. But its hard to calculate. I think the best suggestion was to record hits and misses for every single attempt at syphoning for each node and measure the success rate over time.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

They said bonfires could give a health bonus and extra cooking xp. I'm not exactly sure what the mean; perhaps the "health bonus" is referring to cooking food on the bonfires. Either way, it sounds like this will not only be a good way to train, but also might be a genuine use for firemaking.

P.S. I've been suggesting something like this for years... Big fires that multiple players can join in, and some kind of boost when cooking on player made fires. Took 'em long enough.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I think you meant to post in the BtS thread, Chee. :P

Nodes are far better than creatures of the same type; they offer double the XP per successful siphon, and I haven't noticed much difference in success rates, though I'll admit I haven't paid a lot of attention to that. (Combination nodes are a different story, of course.)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I think you meant to post in the BtS thread, Chee. :P

Nodes are far better than creatures of the same type; they offer double the XP per successful siphon, and I haven't noticed much difference in success rates, though I'll admit I haven't paid a lot of attention to that. (Combination nodes are a different story, of course.)

Whoops, my bad.

On the topic of Runespan: I think all of the rewards are kinda crappy.

All the robes do is upgrade your hood to give you a bit more essence/runes per day - nothing spectacular. The weight reduction is pointless, not when compared to agile armor, but weight reduction is just pointless in general. After you reach 0kg weight, your run energy isn't affected further. Usually when you're running around you don't have much stuff weighing you down anyway. Thankfully, you don't need to wear the robes for the wicked hood upgrades. They do look pretty nice when recolored (to purple) however.

The staves are frivolous and unnecessary. You might argue charging the staff with a spell can "save space" for vengeance, contact npc, blood barrage etc. This saves you a few spaces. Hardly worth it. Not to mention, you need to be on the right spellbook so that of course limits the uses to niche at best. The highest leveled one requires 90 rc and 25k points, but has total crap magic bonuses. The spell absorption supposedly activates less that 1% of the time.

The massive pouch might be worth using if for some reason you feel like actually crafting runes with your runecrafting skill (in other words: never).

The upgradable "prestige" whatever-the-hells are dumb. I kinda wish I could undo my "rank 7" purchase. The robes look better without the dinky symbols glued all over the place.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Does anyone have an XP breakdown for all the nodes? After trying the runespan for a while, I don't think the highest nodes necessarily give the best xp.

At lvl 90 every node other than air is better than soul wraiths, at 89 every node is better than bloods.

Pure nodes of the higher type are slightly better than mixed nodes, because the mixed nodes require a higher level(higher fail rate) and sometimes give lower xp. I recorded xp rates of almost every node somewhere in this topic, that was before the most recent(and hopefully final) node update however.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

It really depends. But its hard to calculate. I think the best suggestion was to record hits and misses for every single attempt at syphoning for each node and measure the success rate over time.

Here's the best method: Write down your XP, start siphoning the type of node or monster you're measuring. Count ALL the clicks (hits, partial, misses) which should be easy. After 100 clicks (or 200 or 300 clicks, etc), write down your XP. You now have an average of XP/click. I don't know how many clicks you get per minute, but it should be close to 60. The more you do this, the more accurate the XP/click you'll have.

If you AFK, it's best to measure monsters as that's the thing you'll be clicking on the most. If you're on a CC and hunting nodes, then figure out the best node for your level.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Does anyone have an XP breakdown for all the nodes? After trying the runespan for a while, I don't think the highest nodes necessarily give the best xp.

At lvl 90 every node other than air is better than soul wraiths, at 89 every node is better than bloods.

Pure nodes of the higher type are slightly better than mixed nodes, because the mixed nodes require a higher level(higher fail rate) and sometimes give lower xp. I recorded xp rates of almost every node somewhere in this topic, that was before the most recent(and hopefully final) node update however.

Are you saying then if there's a Blood Pool and Bloody Skulls I should opt for the Blood Pool?

2dgucz6.png

Are you saying then if there's a Blood Pool and Bloody Skulls I should opt for the Blood Pool?

He's being rather hyperbolic and simplifying

The fail rates improve as you level up so yes dead on level 83 (Bloody Skulls) you are likely going to get better xp:hr from Blood Pools than Bloody Skulls.

BUT from what I've seen fails rates on nodes are much less changeable than on monsters, at level 84 I pretty much get same fail rate on bloody skulls as I do on any other node perhaps marginally worse but not enough to worry about.

On monsters it seems to have a much greater effect eg my friend found swapping to blood wraiths from deaths wraiths at 77 put a significant dent in that portion of xp:hr but once she reached 80ish Bloodwraith's were better than deathwraiths.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I know this is a bit off topic maybe but when did Jagex chanage so that p2p items doesn't appear as "Members object" when you become f2p?

A few weeks ago.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

How do you know they have a higher fail rate? Seems much more likely that the fail rate would be based on the fail rates of the two types it combines, rather than being higher than both of them.

How do you know they have a higher fail rate? Seems much more likely that the fail rate would be based on the fail rates of the two types it combines, rather than being higher than both of them.

Fail rates are pretty consistent no matter what you do.

Eg at Level required for the item fail rate is x, at lvl+10 it's x/10 kinda thing.

So for example at level 83 you unlock bloody skulls, but blood pool only needs lvl 77 so has a better fail rate as you are 6 levels past it. When you reach level 89 (83+6) fail rate on bloody skulls would be the same as you had for blood pools at lvl 83.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It can't quite fall off that fast because I still have plenty of fails 78 levels above the requirement for fleshy growths. <_<

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I timed the xp gain rates of each and wrote it down somewhere in the topic. For blood pools it was 121k ish and for blood skulls its was 108k ish (per hour). My theory about fail rates(I never counted) was based on looking at how often you fail firestorms relative to fireballs because you succeed on most siphons, fails stand out more there. I would have to count to know for sure, but either way the xp gain rate was definately higher on blood pools. I'm assuming that the biggest factor in that is getting xp of the lower rune type.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I know someone who managed to get runes out twice, once trying (I think) and once on accident. If you try to take smuggled runes back in, the game takes them away and doesn't give you any points. Instead it gives you a message requesting that you send in a bug report to explain how you got the runes out.

I know someone who managed to get runes out twice, once trying (I think) and once on accident. If you try to take smuggled runes back in, the game takes them away and doesn't give you any points. Instead it gives you a message requesting that you send in a bug report to explain how you got the runes out.

That is hilarious.

It can't quite fall off that fast because I still have plenty of fails 78 levels above the requirement for fleshy growths. <_<

Fail rates are always fairly high, they don't fall off to nothingness.

and lol math fail on my 83+6 thing, too stressed out to even do basic adding!

Also this:

I'm assuming that the biggest factor in that is getting xp of the lower rune type.

Even so xp is much higher and is cyclic from what I've seen.

Eg blood skulls gives 144xp and 176xp in a pretty consistent cycle (only counting successes) compared to 120xp and 146xp for skulls and blood pool separately.

Though of course proximity to min level impacts fail rate so can cause the top end ones to be worse than those just below.

I think your fireball:firestorm comparison is flawed data in that you are more levels beyond the fireball req and the firestorm req (14 vs 27) and I think if you got a lvl 14 and a lvl 27 to do equal trials on each node they'd have near identical fail rates.

Plv6Dz6.jpg