30-4-2012 The RuneSpan

Sylpheed

Offtopic: No such thing, Alg!!!

Ontopic: The new mechanics are beautifully done when properly balanced so that nodes are useful instead of non-existent (metagame wise)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescafting should be renamed Energy Siphoning or just Siphoning.

I was thinking RuneFishing. But at least today I've found it worth my while to pay a little more attention and hop an island every once in a while for a nice bonus. So many damn Bloody Skulls though. Honestly not sure if it's just because I notice them more or they're actually way more common, but all the nodes 86+ seem to be super frequent in my little area.

Doubtful that I'll go past 86, though. The lvl 90 rewards don't seem worth it, and RC in general isn't really worth it past 86 unless you're actively trying to max.

2dgucz6.png

I've put together a guide for Runespan: Soul EssWraith Guide for Fastest AFK Runecrafting Experience on Day of Release

60-50k xp/hr @ 99 RC, give or take 5k

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

http://forum.tip.it/topic/310694-runespan-soul-esswraith-guide-video-akwasprs/

Additional Data provided by GODEL (trusted source, quoted with permission)

@99 rc:

~1000 nats/hr (43.5k xp, 1500 points) (43.5/1.5)

~825 laws/hr (44.5k xp, 1400 points) (54/1.7)

~690 deaths/hr (41.4k xp, 1725 points) (60/2.5)

~635 bloods/hr (46.3k xp, 1905 points) (73.5/3)

~520 souls/hr (55.6k xp, 1820 points) (107/3.5)

For xp: SOUL > blood > law > nat > death

For points: BLOOD > soul > death > nat > law

These ratesare accurate for normal spawns without using kill-less method (click -> wait til die -> click again)

The rates and runes/hr are higher if you're doing it without killing them (click them again before you get 10 runes, they never die)

Anyone saying that RC lost any respect is implying it had any respect in the first place. You have 99 RC? Who the hell cares? If you really need acclaim from random people as you walk around in your RC cape, or think people actually care about your "achievement", something is definitely wrong with you.

All the low levels following around people with the cape begging to see the emote and saying "Wow that's awesome" and similar such comments might indicate otherwise to some people :unsure: .

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Anyone saying that RC lost any respect is implying it had any respect in the first place. You have 99 RC? Who the hell cares? If you really need acclaim from random people as you walk around in your RC cape, or think people actually care about your "achievement", something is definitely wrong with you.

All the low levels following around people with the cape begging to see the emote and saying "Wow that's awesome" and similar such comments might indicate otherwise to some people :unsure: .

People stopped doing that some time in 2008-09.

You can do it like that if you want, but the faster xp is to chase nodes instead of creatures, and find the wizards for xp bonuses.

Is chasing nodes still worth doing? I know they supposedly fixed the nerf, but I still rarely see any nodes worth siphoning when I run to find a wizard. Is that for 90+?

icecube7.jpeg

I certainly find nodes worth doing. I shoot for nodes chaotic cloud and above on floor two(and chase wizards) and get far better exp than if I were to camp death wraiths. (I'm currently level 76)

I like Runespan quite a lot. I've gotten 6 levels there so far, and I'm gonna shoot for at least one more before I leave for the first time. :P

Flyingjj.png

Chasing nodes can be pretty good, but it depends a bit on luck. It would help if you are counting chaos and up, since those spawn a lot more often than skulls and up.

Serena_Sedai.png

At 90 Rc

*92 RC

Beasts

2 Soul Wraiths: 57k xp/hr

1 Soul Wraith: 54k

(20 minutes)

Nodes

*Soul: 129k

Blood: 121k

*Blood+Death: 114k

*Death: 105k

Law: 108k

*Nature: 100k

Astral+Cosmic: 97k

Chaos: 82k

Body: 82k

Fire: 74k

Fire+Air: 80k

Earth: 63k

Earth+Water: 72k

Water: 59k

Air: 52k

(300-900 seconds)

All nodes on Blood wraith+ Water ling island and the connecting island...

103,612 xp total

20,520 xp from wizard

92.8k xp/hr

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Thinking about how I'm 99 runecrafting I am wondering what the points (not xp) per hour might be for death, blood and/or soul nodes.

Someone on here mentioned that they were getting 1.9k points an hour, but didn't specify on what or how.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Did 1.5m xp after the node fix and got 99 yesterday.

Doing soul wraithlings, doing the wizard and doing nodes on the 2 soul wraithling island and nodes on the adjacent islands I got 95-102k xp/hr

Asmodean <3

Runescafting should be renamed Energy Siphoning or just Siphoning.

Except you're still crafting runes. Rune Essence + Typed Energy = Runes.

It's the same as Runecrafting at Altars, except your energy is coming from nodal points or living sources instead of focused altars.

What was the point/hour on that island?

1800-1900 on the Double Soul wraith island, from what I've done. An earlier post mentioned that Bloods are better pts/hr though.

rant about runecrafting and respect

I was wondering when this was going to make it to TIF.

In a perfect world all skills would be valued equally, and I welcome this change which allows Runecrafting to be trained in a greater variety of ways. To call it the worst update ever is absurd hyperbole.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

In a perfect world all skills would be valued equally, and I welcome this change which allows Runecrafting to be trained in a greater variety of ways. To call it the worst update ever is absurd hyperbole.

People do love a good rant about anything that makes anything remotely easier! Yet compared to some alterations this kinda thing is nothing (Thinking cook-x, fletch-x, smith-x smelt-x).

The irony is I'm sure half the people who rant about it being easier and losing respect for the skill if they had been there way back when would've been ranting to the moon and back about how hard cooking, smithing and fletching were; all 3 went from skills that were probably the slowest and hardest to do in game due to clicking amounts to the no big deal buyable 99s you can do in a week or 2 overnight (well smithing is still a little better off due to high costs but still); proud to say I got cooking and fletching to 99 before x came and tbh normal rc was far more painful to do so this is a welcome change!

At this place the best rates are still only around 50k xp:hr, so still 260+ hours for 1-99, assuming an average player does around 5 hours a day tops that still 2 whole months.

Tbh I find most 'easier' rants are thinly veiled greed since most easier methods are less profitable, after all consider how many rants about this easier profit free rc existing compared to how many rants there were about double speed cballs.

Also totally agree about you dismissal of people saying it shouldn't be called runecrafting because you're not making runes because it's quite clear you are making runes. Like you said you still use essence and make it into runes, only alterations are you don't keep the runes and rather than holding ess to an altar stone you hold it to an energy node/monster.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well, it was nice to have a skill that was slower than the rest (especially for f2p, I suppose), because of the interesting variety it brought to the game. The xp for the F2P Runespan just seems very inflated. I don't know if they want F2P to score a bunch of points and then be convinced to buy members to trade them in for the prizes, but tripling the xp over very expensive methods and allowing it for free seems a little bizarre. Had it been 40% of the current xp, almost everyone who intended on training runecrafting still would have flocked there.

Oh well-we'll see if it sticks.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Well, it was nice to have a skill that was slower than the rest (especially for f2p, I suppose), because of the interesting variety it brought to the game. The xp for the F2P Runespan just seems very inflated. I don't know if they want F2P to score a bunch of points and then be convinced to buy members to trade them in for the prizes, but tripling the xp over very expensive methods and allowing it for free seems a little bizarre. Had it been 40% of the current xp, almost everyone who intended on training runecrafting still would have flocked there.

Oh well-we'll see if it sticks.

GOP gets you about 40% of current XP rates and it's pretty much dead content. Quite frankly, there's no excuse for them saying that there's about 5,000 hours of content in the free game when more than a forth of it came from grinding runecrafting 1-99.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

People do love a good rant about anything that makes anything remotely easier! Yet compared to some alterations this kinda thing is nothing (Thinking cook-x, fletch-x, smith-x smelt-x).

The irony is I'm sure half the people who rant about it being easier and losing respect for the skill if they had been there way back when would've been ranting to the moon and back about how hard cooking, smithing and fletching were; all 3 went from skills that were probably the slowest and hardest to do in game due to clicking amounts to the no big deal buyable 99s you can do in a week or 2 overnight (well smithing is still a little better off due to high costs but still); proud to say I got cooking and fletching to 99 before x came and tbh normal rc was far more painful to do so this is a welcome change!

At this place the best rates are still only around 50k xp:hr, so still 260+ hours for 1-99, assuming an average player does around 5 hours a day tops that still 2 whole months.

Tbh I find most 'easier' rants are thinly veiled greed since most easier methods are less profitable, after all consider how many rants about this easier profit free rc existing compared to how many rants there were about double speed cballs.

Also totally agree about you dismissal of people saying it shouldn't be called runecrafting because you're not making runes because it's quite clear you are making runes. Like you said you still use essence and make it into runes, only alterations are you don't keep the runes and rather than holding ess to an altar stone you hold it to an energy node/monster.

I was kind of suprised that i was the first one to rant about this in this topic, after 10 pages of chit-chat about xp rates.

But my main point was not the xp rates . The whole concept of the runespan is just terribly bland. They could have done so much more with the runes you are making in the runespan. Now all you can do with them is give them to a wizard or exchange them for points. The whole thing seems rushed. I expected a fun new way to train runecrafting, but siphoning runes from a creature hour after hour is all but fun.

The graphics are nice, yes. But the gameplay is bland and boring, and that is what matters the most.

I might have made the impression that i am against any update that makes a skill easier/more probitable/faster to train. That is not true. I love diversity in runescape, and i'm sure we all do. But everything falls or stands (is this even english) with the concept. GOP was great, a fun minigame and cool rewards. The abyss was great, to make remote altars more accesible. But this just seems rushed and uncreative.

Edit: about the runespan being the worst update ever: everyone is allowed to have an opinion about this. That's not me being hyperbolic, that's me and you having a different opinion.

Leonxb.png

I was kind of suprised that i was the first one to rant about this in this topic, after 10 pages of chit-chat about xp rates.

But my main point was not the xp rates . The whole concept of the runespan is just terribly bland. They could have done so much more with the runes you are making in the runespan. Now all you can do with them is give them to a wizard or exchange them for points. The whole thing seems rushed. I expected a fun new way to train runecrafting, but siphoning runes from a creature hour after hour is all but fun.

The graphics are nice, yes. But the gameplay is bland and boring, and that is what matters the most.

I might have made the impression that i am against any update that makes a skill easier/more probitable/faster to train. That is not true. I love diversity in runescape, and i'm sure we all do. But everything falls or stands (is this even english) with the concept. GOP was great, a fun minigame and cool rewards. The abyss was great, to make remote altars more accesible. But this just seems rushed and uncreative.

The idea of the Runespan isn't to camp monsters endlessly for essence. Surely if you'd read through this thread you'd have noticed the huge discussion over node spawn rates, their nerf, and the eventual fix, not to mention techniques to improve wizard hunting efficiency. This is how the Runespan was QA'd and how it was meant to be played, involving active decision-making in navigation to attain the best XP rates possible.

If you're squatting at the double wraith spawn camping for points, then frankly you're settling for worse XP/hr and then complaining about bland gameplay. Run around the upper floor hunting undead souls and clearing them out, and maintain a well-stocked selection of runes to give to yellow wizards, and/or work with a chat channel on this, and I'm sure you'll find it more fun.

Also the Runespan functions primarily as a training method and not for rune generation or whatever. Guess why? Because that's what was voted for last Runefest. Simple as that. Concepted as a training method, delivered as a training method. Nothing else to it, in the same way that you don't except to get logs from ivy or anything from Jadinko firemaking.

Edit: about the runespan being the worst update ever: everyone is allowed to have an opinion about this. That's not me being hyperbolic, that's me and you having a different opinion.

Actual expansive content being worse than a randomly thrown in wheel? :rolleyes:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I do feel it's bland and boring having done quite a few hours of it now. The initial sense of "wonder" or overwhelming feeling you get when you first enter the runespan soon disappears once you've worked out that sitting in the one place is pretty much the best thing to do. You are presented with this massive map of 3 floors yet you'll spend most of your time on one island.

I believe that they could've made the activity a lot more dynamic. The wizard finding mechanic is the right idea, but poorly implemented. There should be 1 yellow wizard at all times and is the same for everyone, this would at least allow for a FC to keep his location for people at all times & would reward the whole group effort/teamwork thing they wanted to promote. (Kind of like PP Duo, you can get more xp by doing it with a friend, same way you could get more xp if the wizard was tracked at all times & was same for everyone.)

There is also the runesphere but only being able to do 1 per day is stupid. You can't accumulate more dust from a runesphere even if you aren't up to the 1k cap after it breaks down. Also due to it's ability to spawn on every level it takes forever to find and even with a FC, there is no real reason for anyone to give up it's location.

To further reward people not afk'ng they could have a mechanic whereby the xp-rates on runes are rotated.

For example: You could have calls of "elemental", "Missile", "Conjuration", & certain runes that get a 20% xp bonus. Meanwhile certain runes are reduced by 20%. Kind of like the mage training arena it just rotates through things randomly. One giving great xp, mediocre xp & bad xp/points. This would discourage blatant afking but it's still relaxing game mechanic wise as you don't have to do much clicking.

For a minigame with a point reward system it is extremely lackluster. For a zero effort grind/training of the skill it's good. The art team has done a great job but the game mechanics/programming department or whoever is responsible for design is clearly devoid of ideas.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

Runespan seems to have a lot of room to grow. A RSOF poster mentioned that she would have liked to see more of the minigame aspect in it, and it probably wouldn't be difficult to set puzzles and the like in it. Could have a wizard assign you a certain number of runes to make, when you finish he gives you more experience and points, for example.

Edited by Randox
Removed reference to removed posts

Since when was afk methods faster than grinding?...fml

s/faster then/not/g

That should fix it with a little sed magic.

AFK methods are primarily grinding for some other goal as you aren't even primarily playing runescape.

On the topic of expansion: I do think there should be more things like wizard hunting and here are some suggestions:

1) Only show runesphere icon on the floor it is on, and allow more runespheres per day but still cap at 1k dust a day. Make the dust do something other than exp. (Like how stars have a function) maybe like: 20minutes of bonus runes.

2) Make the yellow wizard the same for everyone, and/or point out where the nearest blue wizard is on the map whenever you have a new wizard to find.

3) Make the wizards have a rightclick give which gives either the correct rune or pops up a window to click the type you want to give.

4) Make different creatures spawn in different spots. (So each spawn point is fixed, but creatures move) Along with this reduce fail rates slightly to account for extra travel time.

5) Add puzzles, make the wizards ask for things instead of just 10 runes. (Challenges you can accept and complete for bonuses) These bonuses should be different.

6) Make esteem ranks matter somehow. Potentially adding new map start spots, ladders, pathways, or lower fail rate.

7) Allow points to buy "rune starter packs" OR buy a special storage box that allows you to store runes IN the runespan so that you can take a break. It is incredibly annoying to restart from zero travel/wizard runes when you exit. This wouldn't allow you to permanently keep the runes but it would encourage taking breaks for farming, other activities. As it is now, runespan is isolating from the rest of rs because the gameplay demands that you choose to stay in the span permanently until you are done training.

8) Make some paths which cost more runes, and maybe require higher level (or esteem rank, or wicked gear?) that allow faster travel between points. Maybe they teleport across the map faster. It is reaally annoying to see a wizard/spawn on an island that you can't reach unless you go all the way around!

9) Make the wicked hood bonus free stuff withdraw as runespan versions while inside the runespan. (So you can grab starting runes for travel once a day).

There are more but you get the idea.

Serena_Sedai.png

I've removed the grammar fight from the thread. Please try to keep the thread on topic in the future, and if something comes up that is not on topic, rather than calling people stupid for half a page, please allow the thread to get back on topic so that posts don't have to be removed (and potentially warnings sent). If you want to debate the differences between American/Canadian/British or North American/European language, please take it to off topic.