• Greek
    • Latin
    • Polish
    • other

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spanish is my native language, fluent in Spanish and English, semi-fluent in Italian and Portuguese (can easily understand it, but got a few problems when trying to speak it myself). Know a bit of Latin (mostly from rhetoric and argumentation classes), can understand Catalan to some extent (more of a family thing).

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Fluent in English, and able to hold a conversation in French. My English is very well developed, and my French is rather fragmented at times, but I am able to get my point across. My main problem with French is hearing it and responding, because it's so difficult for me to understand it spoken. I can read and write it very well though. I can get the gist of something written in Spanish or German, but I cannot write it or speak it. I selectively learned some Swedish when I was younger but I have since forgotten it. I can read some Latin because I recognize words from the etymology of English ones, but once again, I cannot speak or write it. I'm practically fluent in Interlingua because of its similarities to both English and French, my main languages of study. Other than that I just know some random words from other languages here and there, mostly from music and etymologies. For example, I know that 'verevki' is Russian (Ukranian?) for "ropes," and "pilkunviilaaja" is Finnish for "comma [bleep]er" (grammar nazi).

English, Romanian (amusingly enough, although Romanian is my mother tongue, I speak English a lot better), and French (although I usually have to ask people to repeat what they just said when I speak to them).

22031_s.gif

I can speak (or use):

Norweigan

Norwegian Sign Language

English

Swedish

Nynorsk.

I can read, understand, (but I don't speak in fear of mispronunciation):

Dutch (Flemish)

Danish

German

Faroese

Icelandic.

I've always been a language nerd.

Fluent in English as it is my native language, 2.5 years of German, so I know it decently, and a bit of Spanish from grade school that is now coming back due to my brother's taking it. Know some American sign language, a bit of Latin (in terms of word roots, etc) and British vernacular...

I'd have thought sign language to be a universal language. Not that I know how sign language works :P

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

• 3 weeks later...

English as a native language, and I could hold a conversation in French, but I haven't had enough experience to really say that I'm fluent in it.

I'll be honest, being a native English speaker really doesn't provide you with many real-world incentives to learn much about other languages, but I'd feel a bit embarrassed if I couldn't answer this question with anything other than "English". Also, French is an elegant language.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Fluent in English. Semi-decent French and German.

Know a few words and phrases in Spanish, Swedish, Czech and Japanese but wouldn't be able to string any kind of conversation together in them. Just bits and pieces I've picked up.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction