• Japanese
    • Italian
    • Greek
    • Latin
    • Polish
    • other

Dutch is my native

i also speak english and german rather fluent

and i can make due in french well enough for holidays and stuff, guess that counts too

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put down:

Italian (native language),

English (since I moved to the motherland of English some years ago),

Latin (fluency is going, but I the school I went to was big on classics and I was hopeless at ancient greek),

French & Spanish (both learnt in my own time and easy because of similarities with Italian, fully fluent in Spanish and conversationally fluent in French, but unable to write it without looking utterly dyslexic).

Just realised, if we're counting languages with minor ability, I can cope with the very basics of German and Russian - ie, where is the bus stop, where is the Kremlin, why are all these tanks in Red Square type stuff (what my dad calls tourist-level).

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

English (Fluent), Spanish (read/write), Latin (basics), Italian (some phrases), and Cantonese Chinese (some words, spoken only)

English is my native tongue. I learned bits and pieces of Chinese and Italian from my grandparents, but there's no way I could hold a conversation with anyone in either language. I have also studied Spanish in school enough to read/write the language well, but I'm hopeless at listening/speaking. Finally, I studied the basics of Latin to learn some of the roots of English and Spanish words.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Curious question aimed at bilinguists: what language do you think in? - if you were providing a translation, would it be both?

EDIT - oh, and for speakers of the more exotic languages: would you guys be okay recording a vocaroo in your language? It would be great to hear you guys.

^ Either English or Italian.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

Mandarin is my native language, and I can read, write and speak it very fluently.

English is my second language, and I can read, write and speak it just as well as Mandarin.

I've also taken French in public school for 7 years, but I've learned pretty much nothing, and I would not survive in a place where they do not speak Mandarin/English.

Staurolite.png

English, and very basic French. I'd like to learn German though.

Why on earth would you LIKE to learn german? It´s a horrible language....

Anyway...for me: Dutch (native) and the local dialect (which has minority language status) fluently. I also speak german (good enough) and quite a bit of french. My english is also quite good.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Why on earth would you LIKE to learn german? It´s a horrible language....

Anyway...for me: Dutch (native) and the local dialect (which has minority language status) fluently. I also speak german (good enough) and quite a bit of french. My english is also quite good.

Everyone has different preferences...I for one cannot stand french, at all.

I speak American. I can understand English, but I really only speak American.

That sucks for you.

I didn't vote in poll. Anyway, I speak English fluently, or as fluent as you can get when you were born speaking it, write and read it very well to. I speak French at a 6 years of learning it at public school level, so pretty much I can ask to use the toilet and borrow a pencil, but I better not need fancy food or I'm screwed, also sentences aren't great. Worst thing is that I live in a bilingual country that isn't always that bilingual.

English is my native tongue (no surprise there), and I learned French throughout high school. I'm currently trying to learn it in college. I have a firmer grasp than most people do, but I am no where near fluent. I can hold basic conversations (describe mood, talk about weather, describe likes/dislikes, describe things about myself, ask questions, describe activities, give directions, etc), but when I start getting to more complex ideas/expressions, my French becomes increasingly broken as I try to transliterate from English to French. I used to know more tenses beyond le passé composé, mais j'ai oublié. When I converse with French-speakers, they usually tell me that my writing is at least decent/very good considering how long I've been trying to learn. I think they're just being nice.

French is a pretty fun language (perhaps not very useful), but I have a long way to go.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'm fluent in English and French, I sort of speak Spanish, I used to be fluent in German and Arabic (which means if I went to Morocco or Germany again it would come back very quickly), and I can translate Latin. I'd like to learn to speak Russian.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Latin (fluency is going, but I the school I went to was big on classics and I was hopeless at ancient greek),

I'm curious, does that mean they taught you to actually speak Latin at your school?

Anyway...for me: Dutch (native) and the local dialect (which has minority language status) fluently.

If you don't mind my asking, which dialect is that? Is it only spoken at home or between friends or is it more wide-spread than that?

Curious question aimed at bilinguists: what language do you think in? - if you were providing a translation, would it be both?

Usually Dutch, though occasionally I'll think in English.

I used to know more tenses beyond le passé composé, mais j'ai oublié.

I hate to be a pedant, especially in a language that isn't my mother tongue, but 'mais j'ai oublié' needs a direct object pronoun to make sense, i.e. 'mais je les ai oublié' ('I have forgotten them').

At least, I think so. Any French speakers feel free to correct me!

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to help! :)

Forgot to add, back in secondary school, I learnt French continuously (I say 'learnt' in the loosest sense, I forgot almost everything as soon as I started Sixth Form). I restarted back in November, and have progressed very well. Having a lot of free time really helps.

I'm curious, does that mean they taught you to actually speak Latin at your school?

The emphasis was on written etc, but they did also expect you to carry it over into spoken.

I hate to be a pedant, especially in a language that isn't my mother tongue, but 'mais j'ai oublié' needs a direct object pronoun to make sense, i.e. 'mais je les ai oublié' ('I have forgotten them').

At least, I think so. Any French speakers feel free to correct me!

Actually it depends on the sense he wants to make with his sentence. In this case, he wrote it in the right way, but you had it right for other examples that have nothing to do with what he was saying here.

Actually it depends on the sense he wants to make with his sentence. In this case, he wrote it in the right way, but you had it right for other examples that have nothing to do with what he was saying here.

Fair enough :) I retract my previous statements!

Guess I'll go and make use of my University's language scheme in August then :P

I've never hard that rule before. I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am!) but I think it's just the same as saying "but I forgot".

I've never hard that rule before. I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am!) but I think it's just the same as saying "but I forgot".

http://de.pons.eu/franzosisch-deutsch/oublier

this lists oublier as both transitive, and intransitive, so 'j'ai oublié' should be okay

^This is correct.

I feel like I only turn my thoughts into words when I talk to myself in the same way I would if I was talking or arguing with someone else. When I do, it's English or French, depending on the subject matter. I'll think about Runescape or TIF in English, but I'll think about school in French.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Afrikaans is my native language. English second. People are often shocked when i tell them it's not my first language. Says i speak it like it's my first, but just with an accent.

I can speak some Arabic, but really not much.

I think in the language i am currently speaking in, but i think that's obvious. I think it's going to be really hard thinking in Afrikaans and then speaking/typing in english.

In class it is the same. When i look at certain problems (be they math of theory) i think in english.

The only time i really think in afrikaans is when i'm by myself, outside, having a cigarette and i'm trying to think of a way to break up my workload (studies). That's like an hour each day :P

Afrikaans is my native language. English second. People are often shocked when i tell them it's not my first language. Says i speak it like it's my first, but just with an accent.

I can speak some Arabic, but really not much.

Same with me. Sometimes when I tell people that English it my second language, they get very surprised.

^This is correct.

I feel like I only turn my thoughts into words when I talk to myself in the same way I would if I was talking or arguing with someone else. When I do, it's English or French, depending on the subject matter. I'll think about Runescape or TIF in English, but I'll think about school in French.

Same. I'm not even bilingual and I quite often think in English when it's about the english book I've just read, about Runescape or something similar.