11-Jul-2012 - Social Slayer & Gielinor Games Preparation

Saradomin_Mage

Except that any sane slayer player with high enough income to afford to use pots on every single task would be using potions of their own, and repotting far before the boost reaches half.

Fixed that for ya.

Super attack (3) and super strength (3) are 1.1k for both lol.

You'd have to be inefficient or completely uninformed to slay without those.

True they are cheap as chips right now, but still pricey for lower levels and at other times (eg post bot nuke) when they go up more it's easier to not be able to afford them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What a poorly planned, self-undermining update social slaying is!If I understand it correctly, you do not get shared XP, combat or slayer. That makes this update completely worthless. Why would I want to do slayer at an even slower rate than it was before this? At best, you will roll through assignment after assignment with less XP. Also, why would I want to unlock abilities like share potions; which aside from being minimally useful(it is more efficient to use your own potions than to get half the effect from your friend), they might actually make my partner get more kills. Afterall, if I am after XP, I will be competing with my partner to do more damage. It does not solve the fundamental problem of crowded spaces. The whole point of slayer is XP, not just rolling through assignments. The only way this could be worthwhile is if somehow you get more XP per hour because of your ability to do assignments faster with a friend.

What a poorly planned, self-undermining update social slaying is!If I understand it correctly, you do not get shared XP, combat or slayer. That makes this update completely worthless. Why would I want to do slayer at an even slower rate than it was before this? At best, you will roll through assignment after assignment with less XP. Also, why would I want to unlock abilities like share potions; which aside from being minimally useful(it is more efficient to use your own potions than to get half the effect from your friend), they might actually make my partner get more kills. Afterall, if I am after XP, I will be competing with my partner to do more damage. It does not solve the fundamental problem of crowded spaces. The whole point of slayer is XP, not just rolling through assignments. The only way this could be worthwhile is if somehow you get more XP per hour because of your ability to do assignments faster with a friend.

If the whole point is getting xp, then that's something that needs to change. Doing activities socially is much more fun and personally fulfilling than doing it on your own, and Runescape has trended towards this fact, and it's not an unwelcome one. If all you care about is xp, all the power to you, but lots of players don't play the game for that. I certainly don't.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Why not unlock it?

There's not much to buy in co-op points.

Buying things for the sake of spending points makes little sense unless there's a cap on how many co-op points you can have at once. If they work as slayer points do, then there's truly no reason to buy a perk that offers no tangible benefit at this time; come September, it'll be a different story when herblore reqs are enforced to drink buffing pots though. At this time, there's no reason to buy it other than the sake of spending points. Better to save the points for the undoubtedly better perks released later on, just as many did when it came to the loyalty shop.

hzvjpwS.gif

Why not unlock it?

Buying things for the sake of spending points makes little sense unless there's a cap on how many co-op points you can have at once. If they work as slayer points do, then there's truly no reason to buy a perk that offers no tangible benefit at this time; come September, it'll be a different story when herblore reqs are enforced to drink buffing pots though. At this time, there's no reason to buy it other than the sake of spending points. Better to save the points for the undoubtedly better perks released later on, just as many did when it came to the loyalty shop.

See I'm of the other stance on point usage.

What is the point in saving something opposed to spending it when there is no reason or benefit to saving it, where as there is some sort of benefit (albeit kinda lame one) to spending it.

I mean normal slayer points you save them for blocking and skipping or sink them into the runes for some profit (is this still up-to-date or is it kinda sucky now?) after you bought all the good stuff but what is there to save co-op points for?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

True they are cheap as chips right now, but still pricey for lower levels and at other times (eg post bot nuke) when they go up more it's easier to not be able to afford them.

I've always been on the poorer side and I don't think I've ever had that problem. Prayer potions, maybe. Those were always more than I was willing to spend, but never super attack/strengths.

Also:

slayercoop11113910.jpg

I really hope the SOL gets an update soon... :razz:

Why not unlock it?

See I'm of the other stance on point usage.

What is the point in saving something opposed to spending it when there is no reason or benefit to saving it, where as there is some sort of benefit (albeit kinda lame one) to spending it.

1) There is no benefit to buying the potion sharing thing unless you specificall want to unlock every single ability in the game or something. In which case an evaluation of the usefulness of said abilities isn't relevant to how you spend your points anyway.

2) There is a benefit to saving points, based on precedence. New ways to spend points get added sometimes (for regular slayer points, this is aquanites, ice strykes w/o cape ability, additional block slot etc.). New ways to use old abilities very rarely get added - Jagex doesn't like buffing useless abilities very much, or if they do it takes more than a year to process.

@Alg: Is that guy in the back using abs and no fire cape :unsure: ?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

If I didn't already have 99 slayer I'd only do this when I got to talking to someone on task on something that I hate doing/has pretty terrible drops. I could see myself sharing greater demons in Kura's cave with this, but not something like Black Demons or Iron Dragons.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Haha well I already said that in the BTS thread that I have no interest in fighting over kills on slayer tasks, even if it's with a friend, just so we can finish tasks faster (and spend more time banking and getting new tasks).

Anyway, what are the rewards for the Gielinor Games Preparation like?

If the whole point is getting xp, then that's something that needs to change. Doing activities socially is much more fun and personally fulfilling than doing it on your own, and Runescape has trended towards this fact, and it's not an unwelcome one. If all you care about is xp, all the power to you, but lots of players don't play the game for that. I certainly don't.

There are already plenty of social activities to do in RS which allow you to get a decent amount of XP. This one is egregious because rather than making a slow skill(one of the slowest) to train more bearable it only compounds the problems already present.

only thing that mattered today is that jagex added an annoying bar that takes up screen space

The silly thing about this is that it was only last week that people lost their cool when Jagex added a bar to the bottom of the browser (doing the same thing, robbing screen real estate), and immediately retracted it the next day (or the same day) after it became abundantly clear that literally no one who used a browser was happy about it. Good to see Jagex has a long memory and the ability to stop future similar updates when the first one proves to be so incredibly unpopular. With any luck, it's just Jagex being Jagex and they will remove it. Unfortunately, less people use the client I think, so you will be unable to summon the RSOF RAGE that the client userbase can summon.

My theory is that they were worried people wouldn't get angry enough about this weeks updates :lol:

Regarding the bar: [qfc]15-16-132-63868963[/qfc]

Haven't read much of the thread, but I think they're looking into it at least.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Regarding the bar: [qfc]15-16-132-63868963[/qfc]

Haven't read much of the thread, but I think they're looking into it at least.

Nice to see the reason for adding it wasn't shits'n'giggles.

Not that their reason was good, but it's nice to know there actually was one.

Sure. Here are all the Jmod replies, which have actually been collected from other threads in tech support I think.

[hide]

Mod Hodge

Jagex Mod

11-Jul-2012 12:12:50

Hey guys,

I can understand that this change isn't ideal for you and you feel like we are pushing this onto you, however we wanted to mimic the current view in the browser and also make it very accessible to jump straight to the website or the forums if you need assistance.

Kind regards,

Mod Alex

_____

Jagex Mod

11-Jul-2012 12:23:06

Hey guys,

I am sorry to hear your not liking the website bar in the client, we always welcome suggestions from the community and it would be good if they could make it a toggled option in the future, sadly though for the time being at least the bar is there and will not be removable.

Again should you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Best Wishes,

Mod Alex

______

Mod Alex

Jagex Mod

11-Jul-2012 12:30:31

Hey C 3,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about this.

This is actually a new update to the client that has seen the browser bar imported into it. This was done to make it easier for you to connect to the website whilst playing through the client.

Should you have any further questions about this please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best Wishes,

Mod Alex

_____

Mod Mozza

Jagex Mod

11-Jul-2012 14:08:23

Hey guys,

We really appreciate all the feedback that you guys are giving us and we really value your input especially just after updates. I am passing this all up to the RuneScape team so we can look into the possibility of reverting this back.

I understand that many players are not keen on the new change but let me reassure you we have done this in the idea that it will benefit players who want to be able to quickly access parts of the website. We never have the intention of upsetting you all. I can't promise that this change will happen soon or even at all but I will definitely make sure that you guys get heard.

All the other minor item glitches will be fixed in an update which should happen in around 30 minutes.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease but if there is anything else you need then please don't hesitate in getting back in touch.

______

Jagex Mod

11-Jul-2012 14:35:11

Hey guys,

We always have players best interest at heart and this update was to benefit those who love a quick click into the forums.

I understand however that in the views of others that this seriously effects their gameplay and the appearance of the game which is why we are taking the feedback very seriously.

We all love good updates and nothing makes us happier then seeing all the hard work we put into place being enjoyed by players so we will continue to do our best in bringing top quality content.

However mistakes can happen and sometimes what looks good on paper may not be well received when implemented. But this is what we are here for, to review what was implemented, listen to you guys and change anything which will make the majority happy.

Like I mentioned before I can't tell you when this will happen or if it will happen at all but I will make sure to put the point across and pass up as much feedback as possible.

Very good idea on the confirmation on the 'X' button I must admit I have done that myself once or twice in the past, I will pass that up as well!

______

Mod Mozza

Jagex Mod

11-Jul-2012 14:48:24

I understand that many players use it to get immersed in the game as it appears bigger and less cluttered with the browser not being around but please let me reassure you I am making sure you guys have your say

[/hide]

There are already plenty of social activities to do in RS which allow you to get a decent amount of XP. This one is egregious because rather than making a slow skill(one of the slowest) to train more bearable it only compounds the problems already present.

And having one more social activity hurts how exactly? I really really don't see the problem.

One update that doesn't make the game needlessly easier and people are already complaining. No wonder game companies are so keen on introducing power creep.

• Like 1

Can you skip tasks you start in a duo? If so, who has to pay the 30 points, only one player or both?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000