Hidden Update: Bots Dying

Carl

Mmmm?

RBZdN.png

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Lol. I hope there's some left when I log in tonight. I want to sit there for a while, watching and laughing. :twisted:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It does seem to take a long time before they explode/die though... I hope the full rollout of bo[bleep]ch is faster than that otherwise they will continue the same as before just making a new character as soon as one is banned.

It's been a number of years since I went to W1 or 2 and it's still pretty hideous there. What's with the purple dancing dice advertisers too?! Bloody hell I can't imagine starting off as a newb character with that, no wonder the game was in decline!

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It does seem to take a long time before they explode/die though... I hope the full rollout of bo[bleep]ch is faster than that otherwise they will continue the same as before just making a new character as soon as one is banned.

I don't know what you consider to be 'a long time' but most of the ones I've seen are gone within 5 minutes. That's not as good as instant, no, but it takes at least a little time to gather evidence and run all the necessary checks.

Perhaps. But surely the system will know after only a few seconds that an account is doing nothing but say the same message over and over. 5 minutes per bot is still a pretty long time. Not much better than them getting muted by pmods every quarter of an hour.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

This is what Mod Matt K said when I posted about hoping the full system would be faster and pick up different types of spam such as dicers and gamblers not just goldspam.

It's still very much a work in progress. A live test, if you like.

What you're seeing today is the start of what we have in store. There's a lot, lot more to come.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Not much better than them getting muted by pmods every quarter of an hour.

It's infinitely better even if the rate was the same at which pmods muted (using your numbers) at a quarter of every hour because it's automated and now users finally have direct gratification from their reports. With systems like these, player moderators can actually start fulfilling their intended roles: educating and moderating the community instead of being little unpaid worker monkeys trying to stop bots like Jmods do.

This is a beautiful and wonderful thing. For one thing, this automated system will only improve over time if they're correct about it. But most importantly, it will reduce apathy towards the report system. Now maybe we can get back to a point as a community where "If you see something, report them" actually means anything worth a damn.

This was a great update alone - and IMO better than botany bay will be since you don't go anywhere to see it - that will start getting the community back on Jagex's side where it needs to be.

• Like 7

hzvjpwS.gif

There were no bots to be found at GE so I hopped over to Deamonheim. Plenty of advertisers there. I reported them, waited for 5 minutes, nothing happened. Too bad :sad:

They are starting with the gold selling site spammers first.

Ah. I thought it would be the use of spam bots in general.

Polodevil.png

polozn.png

Fun to watch the bots die, but I hope this never hits any legitimate players just because of some crazy mix of keywords. :o

Heck, I hope there's some requirement for multiple reports to rack up first... :?

~D. V. "Nobody wants a wrongful, accidental ban... right?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Perhaps. But surely the system will know after only a few seconds that an account is doing nothing but say the same message over and over. 5 minutes per bot is still a pretty long time. Not much better than them getting muted by pmods every quarter of an hour.

True, but it does have to differentiate between spam bots and people simply being annoying by saying "buying/selling x" over and over. This is a big improvement over Pmods trying to mute them as it happens automatically and runs 24/7.

Mod Matt K's response to your query definitely brings hope that the system will become more streamlined and may even reduce detection times to a point where it takes longer to make the account then it does to detect it as a bot and remove it. :pray:

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

More from Matt K

As I say, there's a lot more to come. This is a limited, live test of a system we've been working on for months. Some areas are being looked at right now, and some need to wait until we're completely happy with the results of this test.

The system is being rolled out methodically. Every little rock that botters are hiding under will eventually be turned over, and adequate stompage applied. This is the start

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

There were no bots to be found at GE

There's a statement I never thought I'd see. :lol:

The system is being rolled out methodically. Every little rock that botters are hiding under will eventually be turned over, and adequate stompage applied.

=D>

Like my dad always says, "there's two ways to do things: fast and right."

Like my dad always says, "there's two ways to do things: fast and right."

I've heard that one, and I know its' extension: "Doing it right is always better." :thumbsup:

~D. V. "Gotta love a good corollary..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)