We have RSC, why not RS2 [LD]?

Tune

Hello everyone from Tip.It! Not sure but this is probably my first ever post I've done since 3+ years of my first Tip.It Registration.

Let me introduce myself, I'm Tune, a Veteran player of RuneScape. I have passed a long time throughout the RuneScape years, I remember the first time I played RuneScape, my school friends hired me to play it, so I went to one of my friend's house, helped me do half of the tutorial, and was stuck on Tutorial island for months! I didn't have a personal PC back then, hence why I was stuck, hehe. When I got my first time PC and Internet, which was on my birthday, I went on RuneScape, worked as hard as possible to fight myself through Tutorial Island, finally when I managed, the most happy moment I had was getting out of tutorial island, having a 99 didn't make me happier than getting out of the tutorial island for the first time!

Now let's go through this discussion.

We have RuneScape Classic, based on Classic players and for the other 3 weekly released for formal players to join the Classic RuneScape Community.

What would you think if we had RuneScape 2 [Low Detail], as in RuneScape 2006-2008? Would it bring the old players back? Would RuneScape manage to gain thousands of more players in the RuneScape 2 LD Community? Would you go back to RuneScape if you're a Retired RuneScape Player? Cause I would.

/discuss

• Like 1

If you get 100% on your bar, you can use an ability and you can play like normal Runescape is right now.

What does that mean? Got a topic that explainst it all please?

EDIT: Oh you means the Combat Beta System.............

He is talking about the ability momentum. It allows your auto-attacks to do more damage (same type of attacks as normal RS), as long as you don't use any more abilities once activating momentum. The effect lasts for 10 minutes.

It was meant as a way for players who did not want to use abilities to still maintain a reasonable DPS.

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

Do you think they have the 2006 version of RS saved somewhere?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason they were able to do this for RSC is because they were practically writing a new game in the "upgrade" to RS2, which is why RSC's case isn't a very good precedent. You could say that in RS2's case, they were too stubborn to change to an entirely new game for a very long time, so such a thing wouldn't be possible. This is often where you hear "legacy issues" stemming from. What we're playing still is the 2006-2008 version, just with a ton of things slapped on. Even the "HD" upgrade to RS2 wasn't as big of a change, and the HTML5 switch still won't make it "RS3."

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

I think if everyone who wanted a 2006 server actually got their wish and played it for a decent time they'd get bored faster then they thought. The thing with nostalgia is it's not just the game you miss, it's how you played it, your age, surroundings at the time among many other things.

• Like 3

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

You're deluded if you think a 2006 would be any good. It's the community that's changed. There will be gamblers, flower gamers, doublers and scammers on day one.

• Like 4

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

What's so exceptional about 2006-2008? People suggest stuff like this all the time. "Let's bring back <year person started playing> RS! Best year ever!". Apart from the microtransactions crap, the game is better now than in the past, no point in releasing a slightly mediocre version of the same game. It just seems more interesting in your memories, because RS was more fresh, interesting, fun or whatever for you back then.

• Like 6

2480+ total

I like the changes and hardly log on Runescape Classic. I don't see the harm of having the closing days of RS2 as a server and then having RS3 as the new thing (like with RS2). I don't really mind either way though. Guess it depends how large the transition between RS2 and RS3 is.

They use an in-house version control system. This means they have pretty much every server and client revision since 2002 cached on a server :). (hint, if you press the tilde key ["~"], you can see the current client revision on the bottom right [734.1 at the time of this post]). Andrew mentioned he had Devious Mud still on a backup server.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

They use an in-house version control system. This means they have pretty much every server and client revision since 2002 cached on a server :). (hint, if you press the tilde key ["~"], you can see the current client revision on the bottom right [734.1 at the time of this post]). Andrew mentioned he had Devious Mud still on a backup server.

They specifically said at Runefest that they do not have a stored version of 2006 Runescape, so if they were to do that, they would have to code it anew, which isn't worth the hassle considering that almost all players will soon quit again after finding out that RS 2006 wasn't as glorious as their nostalgia made it out to be.

No, I don't think releasing an old version of RS2 would make a lot of old people come back. Most players are happy with RS as it is now. Most of those who have quit won't come back just because we revert the game to how it used to be. And those who actually came back because of the nostalgia would quickly get bored. This is nothing but nostalgia. Enjoy the game as it is now instead.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

They specifically said at Runefest that they do not have a stored version of 2006 Runescape, so if they were to do that, they would have to code it anew, which isn't worth the hassle considering that almost all players will soon quit again after finding out that RS 2006 wasn't as glorious as their nostalgia made it out to be.

This exactly. RS 2006 was crap too, nostalgia is hitting people too hard.

What's so exceptional about 2006-2008? People suggest stuff like this all the time. "Let's bring back <year person started playing> RS! Best year ever!". Apart from the microtransactions crap, the game is better now than in the past, no point in releasing a slightly mediocre version of the same game. It just seems more interesting in your memories, because RS was more fresh, interesting, fun or whatever for you back then.

I agree with that. While I still have nostalgia for the 2005-2006 Rs, I like the one we have today better. It is generally a better game, and I say this with a 1.5 year gap since I only started playing RS again this month. While it is much easier than it was before (well on the skilling aspect), I think if people come back they'll like it.

Also you can still play the old way, it's still there, but with a lot of new stuff on top of it.

I know someone has been trying to get a private server up and running based on RS from 2006, butI have no idea if they actually finished it and got it online. While I can appreciate the sentimental value that era has for a lot of us (myself included), I'm not sure I'd want to go back there.

Andrew mentioned he had Devious Mud still on a backup server.

Now THAT I would be interested in trying.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I wouldn't veer too far into specific private servers as part of this discussion. I've received a warning for that in the past:

Unfortunately you have broken Rule 1.1 on our forums: Breaking or encouraging others to break any of Jagex's rules. The things this includes very clearly are: Discussion of private servers -- inviting, advertising, or otherwise. This applies to any and all discussion of private servers. The other reason why we do not allow private servers to be discussed is because they are illegal and infringe on the copyright of the owners - in this case, the owners being Jagex.

[/Quote]

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

First off anyone who says people want it back because of it being nostalgic obviously wasn't playing back then and don't understand or was playing and just werent very good I think the majority of veterans will agree that it was better in the past.

It was because a lot of reasons I'll name a few:

Items that were meant to be rare were actually rare for example D chain used to be one of the most prestigious items you could get, now its pretty common to see.

There were only a few maxed players back then compared to now where you see so many people that have got atleast 1 99 back then it was a real achievement because you were one of the minority with one but now most skills are a one click system before you actually had to pay attention and work for them.

Tthere was a lot less bots then there are now even though numbers have gone done lately its still not like it was and because of bots stuff that was a hassle to get is now easy to buy because bots forced them into the market which has reduced the price by so much.

RS was more rewarding back then if you got a rare drop it was actually rare and the way your equipments value didn't decrease as much as stuff is now for example I got DFS for 20m and within months it was worth a fraction of that it just seems pointless to put money in equipment now because you just lose money.

To put it bluntly they were the glory days end of and I would love it if they went back to the way it was in 06-09 even if I had to restart my character I would be so happy I'm not sure how many people agree but thats my opinion.

My Stats

minicale.png

MiniCale.png

MiniCale.png

minicale.png

minicale.png

minicale.png

Were there actually fewer bots, or were we, in our nooby innocence, just less aware of them?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Runescape has been overrun with bots since classic. RWT (and along with it botting) was actually at some of its worst around 06-08, and almost drove the game into the ground.

There is a reason Jagex was forced to remove free trade and wildy, and it wasn't just to piss off pkers as the fally ranters would have you believe.

Either you are remembering things in the past better than they were, or you had just started playing and didn't realize how bad things really were.

[/Quote]