We have RSC, why not RS2 [LD]?

Tune

To all of the people saying the community was better during 06-08: stop. Those were the days when people were nostalgic of the RSC and early RS2 days, before Miniclip expanded the population of the game. Did people seriously forget the people complaining about the community back then?

• Like 4
22031_s.gif

First off anyone who says people want it back because of it being nostalgic obviously wasn't playing back then and don't understand or was playing and just werent very good I think the majority of veterans will agree that it was better in the past.

What's so exceptional about 2006-2008? People suggest stuff like this all the time. "Let's bring back <year person started playing> RS! Best year ever!". Apart from the microtransactions crap, the game is better now than in the past, no point in releasing a slightly mediocre version of the same game. It just seems more interesting in your memories, because RS was more fresh, interesting, fun or whatever for you back then.

It was because a lot of reasons I'll name a few:

Items that were meant to be rare were actually rare for example D chain used to be one of the most prestigious items you could get, now its pretty common to see.

There were only a few maxed players back then compared to now where you see so many people that have got atleast 1 99 back then it was a real achievement because you were one of the minority with one but now most skills are a one click system before you actually had to pay attention and work for them.

Tthere was a lot less bots then there are now even though numbers have gone done lately its still not like it was and because of bots stuff that was a hassle to get is now easy to buy because bots forced them into the market which has reduced the price by so much.

RS was more rewarding back then if you got a rare drop it was actually rare and the way your equipments value didn't decrease as much as stuff is now for example I got DFS for 20m and within months it was worth a fraction of that it just seems pointless to put money in equipment now because you just lose money.

To put it bluntly they were the glory days end of and I would love it if they went back to the way it was in 06-09 even if I had to restart my character I would be so happy I'm not sure how many people agree but thats my opinion.

tl/dr =

- doesnt want anything to change

-plays game with weekly/biweekly updates

not to be an a-hole but thats what I got.

I've been playing since 04-05 ish. Games been dieing since the day I started playing rs, if i go by forum posts.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

First off anyone who says people want it back because of it being nostalgic obviously wasn't playing back then and don't understand or was playing and just werent very good I think the majority of veterans will agree that it was better in the past.

Having that again would be the only way I'd play on a 2006 server.

Also, does it bother anyone else how people who refer to themselves as "veterans" sound like they're claiming to have fought in Vietnam?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

What's so exceptional about 2006-2008? People suggest stuff like this all the time. "Let's bring back <year person started playing> RS! Best year ever!". Apart from the microtransactions crap, the game is better now than in the past, no point in releasing a slightly mediocre version of the same game. It just seems more interesting in your memories, because RS was more fresh, interesting, fun or whatever for you back then.

Items that were meant to be rare were actually rare for example D chain used to be one of the most prestigious items you could get, now its pretty common to see.

There were only a few maxed players back then compared to now where you see so many people that have got atleast 1 99 back then it was a real achievement because you were one of the minority with one but now most skills are a one click system before you actually had to pay attention and work for them.

Tthere was a lot less bots then there are now even though numbers have gone done lately its still not like it was and because of bots stuff that was a hassle to get is now easy to buy because bots forced them into the market which has reduced the price by so much.

RS was more rewarding back then if you got a rare drop it was actually rare and the way your equipments value didn't decrease as much as stuff is now for example I got DFS for 20m and within months it was worth a fraction of that it just seems pointless to put money in equipment now because you just lose money.

To put it bluntly they were the glory days end of and I would love it if they went back to the way it was in 06-09 even if I had to restart my character I would be so happy I'm not sure how many people agree but thats my opinion.

There is this thing called supply and demand. When an item is released and for a period of time afterwards the supply is low and the demand is high. This causes items to have a high value. As time progresses, more and more of that item is introduced into the economy and the demand is decreased. As newer and better equipment is added into the game, the older equipment loses its demand for the targetted level range and thus loses its high value. This happened with the DChain, DFS, Godswords, etc.

The reason drops aren't so rare anymore is because more people have the capability to obtain then now then those whom were able to previously. This is in part due to the sheer volume of players in the game and the restrictions of bosses with the current combat system, which is why I am looking forward to EoC.

There were actually a higher bot to player ratio back in 2006 than there is now. Most bots you see now are actually 1 person controlling about 5-15 of them or more and most are gold farming bots. Bots previously seen in 2006 were skill training and combat bots.

To be blunt, the game was kind of stagnant for the past few years, which is one of many reasons I stopped playing. The game felt like a job, or a chore, more then a game. I was not having fun. Ever since I have returned, I have had loads of fun and I still am. If you really started back in 2006 Runescape from scratch, you would soon realize how boring and stagnant training is.

While 2006 RS was fun and all, if you really take a breath and think, you realizing how foolish bringing it back is. It is like watching the same season of your favorite TV show from 6 years ago, over and over. The only thing I miss from 2006 is PVP. Other than that, it sucked.

-A 9.8 year Veteran.

• Like 1

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I don't understand how any of those points make 06-08 RS better than nowadays nor how they would be combated? You seem blinded by nostalgia.

- Over time all rare items (that are continued) will get more common. Hence better armour is added to replace it. How would you propose Jagex keep D Chains the best chest-slot item over time without it becoming extremely common. Nex armour has taken over the position D Chains once held, which is just natural progression. I don't understand how having a D Chain as a top tier item is better than having a Torva Plate as a top tier item as it is now?

- This is because the game is older, and hence a higher proportion of the player-base is a higher level. How would you combat this? I also don't understand how having a higher level player-base makes the game worse? Yes it means that you have to work harder to be competitive in competitive situations. But it also leaves mid-level content (which was previously high-level) free for lower level players.

- You state that the game was better because of the grind? Yet during those years many people (probably you included) were complaining that there needed to be less grind.

- There was (in my opinion) a similar proportion of bots to players.

- As items become more common, they lose value. Everyone knows that if you buy an expensive item soon after release you will lose money. I don't understand how this makes 08 better? The release of the DFS decreased the price of the D Sq, it's a cycle.

To me it seems like the real reason you remember 06-08 so fondly is because it is when you first started playing. You were ignorant of all the problems in the game, and the items/updates/player-base you like so much are because that's when you have your fondest memories of the game. Different to how you remember is not equal to worse.

• Like 1

RSC and RS2 are almost completely different games.

And as far as I know RS2 hasn't been replaced like RSC was, but constantly updated, engine improvements, etc.

It'd be a lot harder to roll out an older version of RS2 than RSC. Perhaps the different versions of RS2 aren't even separately archived, since it was never a whole new game whenever the engine got improved aside from the transition from RSC. Just a bunch of guessing though.

You're trying to relive an age long past. Move on.

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

Also, does it bother anyone else how people who refer to themselves as "veterans" sound like they're claiming to have fought in Vietnam?

You weren't there man... you weren't there!

11 Years Veteran.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Flashback to RS 2006: What didn't we have?

GWD, grandmaster quests, Summoning, Dungeoneering, Kuradal, ancient curses, extreme potions, Grand Exchange, 86+ slayer monsters, higher tier equipment than Barrows, etc... All of that not including faster skill training methods, since those are viewed as negatives by many 06 vets. GE and Dg are sometimes as well, but they're major changes that add more than faster xp so I chose to include them.

I like all of those things a bit too much to be that nostalgic for RS 2006. Really, the best thing about it was no microtransactions, but you only need to go back 2 years for that.

Zeni.png

Like many others I had the best time in RuneScape back in 2006 or so but if I would be to play on a 2006 server now I'd most likely not enjoy it as much as I did back then. There are couple of reasons for that and one is ofcourse, like mentioned many times, the community. It has changed a lot but even more importantly I think that one crucial thing has changed since then; I'm not a noob anymore. As a noob there were always new things to learn, discover and look forward to which is something that I really miss and something that can't really be brought back by any means. Same thing happened with the RSC-servers, I originally started RuneScape in classic and got quite excited when they announced the offer to join the classic servers but the intrest didn't last long when I noticed that RSC wasn't really all that much fun compared to present-day-rs. The game and it's mechanics were only a small part what made RuneScape such a great experience back then.

Sephy.png

There’s no need to go all the way back to 2006. Just go back to the day before Dung and you will have RuneScape at its apex. That was RuneScape, and what you guys have today ’tis but a knock-off with fancier dress-up costumes and gaudy gimmicks.

I am sure some might want to play it for nostalgic reasons... but there is nothing that is going to bring older players back short of erasing what has been foisted upon us for the past few years. And we all know Jagex is too proud to admit their mistakes - they’d rather just keep slapping new coats of paint over the cracked walls and pretending the house is in no danger of collapsing.

Current players might get a kick out of seeing RS 2006, but would it bring older players back? Hell to the no. That ship has sailed.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I, for one, have NEVER understood the nostalgia for video games ...

you werent a kid in old runescape and that makes the mix of the idyllic past with childhood (>12 years old) memories less powerful.

Still with the rose tinted shades off, old runescape had its faults and even in 05 you had people saying "New Runescape sucks FU Jagex" but it sure as hell is better by comparison to now

It has been said many times, 2006 runescape is a pointless sever to code/maintain for the simple fact it had it's fair share of problems as current runescape does. Nostalgia is what makes this time so in demand, the memories, friends, achievements of each individual player.

It's the same with RSC, the severs aren't the same, it's a cold empty shell void of all the things that made RSC so great.

The community/togtherness/achievements & discovering the unexpected of a game in it's infancy etc. is what made RSC so great, much in the same way as 2006 scape, or 2004 scape or any year of runescape people care to focus there rose tinted nostalgia goggles on .

Community is what makes a certain era of runescape great, not the ability to play on said servers.

• Like 1

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

I don't understand how any of those points make 06-08 RS better than nowadays nor how they would be combated? You seem blinded by nostalgia.

- Over time all rare items (that are continued) will get more common. Hence better armour is added to replace it. How would you propose Jagex keep D Chains the best chest-slot item over time without it becoming extremely common. Nex armour has taken over the position D Chains once held, which is just natural progression. I don't understand how having a D Chain as a top tier item is better than having a Torva Plate as a top tier item as it is now?

- This is because the game is older, and hence a higher proportion of the player-base is a higher level. How would you combat this? I also don't understand how having a higher level player-base makes the game worse? Yes it means that you have to work harder to be competitive in competitive situations. But it also leaves mid-level content (which was previously high-level) free for lower level players.

- You state that the game was better because of the grind? Yet during those years many people (probably you included) were complaining that there needed to be less grind.

- There was (in my opinion) a similar proportion of bots to players.

- As items become more common, they lose value. Everyone knows that if you buy an expensive item soon after release you will lose money. I don't understand how this makes 08 better? The release of the DFS decreased the price of the D Sq, it's a cycle.

To me it seems like the real reason you remember 06-08 so fondly is because it is when you first started playing. You were ignorant of all the problems in the game, and the items/updates/player-base you like so much are because that's when you have your fondest memories of the game. Different to how you remember is not equal to worse.

Exactly this. None of the examples of "issues" with the current RS would actually be resolved by the creation of a previous version server, except perhaps bots since they wouldn't bother. Some "problems" might even reach intolerable levels relatively quicker on such servers, once again because of changes to the community rather than changes in gameplay. Players these days seem far more goal-driven and focused on rewards than ever before. That could easily carry over to the previous-version server. Consider for instance your example of the Dragon Chainbody. If the DChain were the best piece of armor in the game again, and it was assured that there would never be updates, it would be seen as essential to get DChains. The KQ would basically be a GWD-esque spec spam fest, with the overpowered spec weapon of the age: the Dragon Dagger.

Perhaps that sounded a bit slippery slope-ish, but it's pretty interesting to consider how 2012 knowledge and tactics would be applied to 2006 RS.

2dgucz6.png

Exactly this. None of the examples of "issues" with the current RS would actually be resolved by the creation of a previous version server, except perhaps bots since they wouldn't bother. Some "problems" might even reach intolerable levels relatively quicker on such servers, once again because of changes to the community rather than changes in gameplay. Players these days seem far more goal-driven and focused on rewards than ever before. That could easily carry over to the previous-version server. Consider for instance your example of the Dragon Chainbody. If the DChain were the best piece of armor in the game again, and it was assured that there would never be updates, it would be seen as essential to get DChains. The KQ would basically be a GWD-esque spec spam fest, with the overpowered spec weapon of the age: the Dragon Dagger.

Perhaps that sounded a bit slippery slope-ish, but it's pretty interesting to consider how 2012 knowledge and tactics would be applied to 2006 RS.

There are a few issues here. The bosses are actually a lot more difficult to fight, because you lack the gear and skills of 2012 rs, especially prayers and summons like we are used to. It is a lot more difficult to fight kalphite queen then. Also, no loot share system, so who gets the items in a spec fest is really difficult to determine.

But you are right, none of the problems of current rs are solved by going bckwards.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

The point I was trying to make was that there is no way to preserve how Runescape was at a particular point in time, nor any way to recreate it and that nostalgia of when you have your fondest memories of the game doesn't make that point in time the "glory" days.

In fact, I would argue that updates (minus microtransactions) are the BEST way to preserve the spirit of the game. The game today, in my opinion, is much more comparable to how the game was in 06-08 than how the game would have been had no updates been performed. Yes, we have different equipment, and yes combat levels are a lot less varied, and yes the top bosses and rare drops are different. However, I would argue that the proportions of people with the top-tier gear to lower-tier gear is very similar, and I would argue that instead of straight up combat being all important other skills are used to differentiate combat-prowess, and I would argue that the top bosses are a comparable difficulty and worth a comparable income.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although the actual equipment, stats, bosses, areas, quests etc are different the proportions of people at each comparable milestone are the same. The milestones are just a higher tier than they were. And updating the game is the best way to prevent it from changing. For example instead of having Torva, you had Dragon, instead of having Piety, you have Turmoil, instead of having maxed melee, you have 138 + Turmoil + Overloads, instead of doing GWD and Kalphite Queen you have Nex and QBD, etc.

Maybe this is just me.

I, for one, have NEVER understood the nostalgia for video games ...

you werent a kid in old runescape and that makes the mix of the idyllic past with childhood (>12 years old) memories less powerful.

Now look there ya young whippersnapper! (*shakes cane*)

When I started playing this here game, there was four (4) worlds, and anything north of Draynor was Wilderness. And we had to walk uphill, both ways ...

Why, I remember when Mithril armour was the end all and be all. (*coughs*)

In them there days, you could buy a White Phat for the unheard of price of 20K, to complete yer set.

Now, stop pestering me, sonny, whilst I gets ma walker ...

• Like 2

nyuseg.png

Not that I was calling you old but everyone sort of remembers being a little kid and how awesome it was. Mix runescape in with those memories (or for some of us Ocarina of time or other such games) and it seems like the most awesome thing ever to have existed, even if it had its flaws. Basically a lot of us grew up out of runescape in addition to runescape going down hill, so its another element for us early adult players (im 20 years old) that started as a kid.

Plus the players themselves have changed. In old runescape there was no flower game, no doubling money. The scams were different, but more generally the interaction was different.