20-Nov-2012 - Evolution of Combat: Now Live!

Randox

It baffles me that people still live by the "don't fix what isn't broken" idea.

Don't you mean why people don't live by this??

It's a good philosophy. However, that line is being used in the wrong way with respect to RS updates. Those making the claim hold the opinion that what's being fixed wasn't broken. As if somehow the game was perfect some arbitrary time ago and now it's all ruined. So runespan fixed what wasn't broken. RS HD fixed what wasn't broken. Make All fixed what wasn't broken. Grimy herbs fixed what wasn't broken. Etc.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

It baffles me that people still live by the "don't fix what isn't broken" idea.

Don't you mean why people don't live by this??

It's a good philosophy. However, that line is being used in the wrong way with respect to RS updates. Those making the claim hold the opinion that what's being fixed wasn't broken. As if somehow the game was perfect some arbitrary time ago and now it's all ruined. So runespan fixed what wasn't broken. RS HD fixed what wasn't broken. Make All fixed what wasn't broken. Grimy herbs fixed what wasn't broken. Etc.

I don't think it is a good philosophy at all, considering it completely prevents pretty much all progress.

anyone have stats on doomcore compared to ccs. They both do give unlimited runes, so is doom worth getting over ccs now?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Despite not partaking whatsoever in the beta, I'm noticing a lot of people post about how buggy/glitchy it is. Forgive me if I'm a bit off, but isn't the whole point of the beta to specifically catch these kinds of bugs?

Furthermore, there's still questions of balance. How will The Void Stares Back play out now? Does it truly feel like it's ready for primetime, or could have used a bit more time in the oven?

Again, I wasn't in the beta, so I can't say one way or another. My gut says, if bugs/questions about balance still exist, then the beta isn't ready yet. But I'll leave the rest to the community.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Despite not partaking whatsoever in the beta, I'm noticing a lot of people post about how buggy/glitchy it is. Forgive me if I'm a bit off, but isn't the whole point of the beta to specifically catch these kinds of bugs?

Furthermore, there's still questions of balance. How will The Void Stares Back play out now? Does it truly feel like it's ready for primetime, or could have used a bit more time in the oven?

Again, I wasn't in the beta, so I can't say one way or another. My gut says, if bugs/questions about balance still exist, then the beta isn't ready yet. But I'll leave the rest to the community.

The point being that it's out of Beta stage now.

TBH, I like it, because it allows me to do beta-testing of the EoC while not exp-wasting.

I think part of the problem was that some people didn't partake in the beta, so Jagex decided to release it so people would actually find bugs. *cough*

• Like 2

We all told them that they wouldn't be ready; and yet they rammed the update anyways, and now that they have, there's a bazillion things that are broken. But, as all the Jagex supporters reminded us then, we were just mindlessly hating then! They'd be ready for sure! Well, are they ready? Furthermore, they didn't have the good sense to make up for the premature release of the beta by putting some extra Q&A people on some extra hours so they could hot patch the worst cases of bugs.

@ Makoto, the reason it's in shambles is because they released it prematurely despite just about everyone telling them not to.

@Hedgehog, they can't expect us all to beta test endlessly for them(which is basically work and a job) for free. If they needed more help on the beta testing, they should have incentivized it better.

• Like 2

Round and round we go in circles. We touch on one subject, kick it around, we succeed I finding our anger unjust, but justified. Only then do we run to another subject to kick that one around... After we are bored with that one we return to the one we just admitted defeat to and repeat the process.

Honestly all of this arguing is getting old and pretty soon stale. We know there are issues. Jagex knows there are issues. We know there are bugs. Jagex knows there are bugs. REPORT THEM! We know there are something's off with the ergonomics in the new interfaces. Jagex always suspects this and awaits your feedback to streamline them. POST ABOUT THEM WITH *CONSTRUCTIVE* FEEDBACK!

And this last tidbit to my post... The people running the fan sites very much know that the player base is out of the know for monster weaknesses and such. Ill be creating a thread asking the community to post every monsters weaknesses. This is something fan sites must do because there will always be a need for this much like our drop tables.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Round and round we go in circles. We touch on one subject, kick it around, we succeed I finding our anger unjust, but justified. Only then do we run to another subject to kick that one around... After we are bored with that one we return to the one we just admitted defeat to and repeat the process.

If they didn't so nakedly screw things up with a total disregard for the consequences, we might not have to waste our time saying the same shit over and over again.

Honestly all of this arguing is getting old and pretty soon stale. We know there are issues. Jagex knows there are issues. We know there are bugs. Jagex knows there are bugs. REPORT THEM! We know there are something's off with the ergonomics in the new interfaces. Jagex always suspects this and awaits your feedback to streamline them. POST ABOUT THEM WITH *CONSTRUCTIVE* FEEDBACK!

We already gave them PLENTY of constructive criticism, including the most important one: don't half-ass it and release the project if it isn't ready. Instead, they said "[bleep] it, we are going to do this no matter what!", and that's how we are where we are.

You were one of the people who supported their decision to release it early, and now that it's gone less than stellar with regards to bugs, you're still in denial about the whole situation. Naturally it isn't very surprising.

• Like 2

If they didn't so nakedly screw things up with a total regard for the consequences, we might not have to waste our time saying the same shit over and over again.

We already gave them PLENTY of constructive criticism, including the most important one: don't half-ass it and release the project if it isn't ready. Instead, they said "[bleep] it, we are going to do this no matter what!", and that's how we are where we are.

You were one of the people who supported their decision to release it early, and now that it's gone less than stellar with regards to bugs, you're still in denial about the whole situation. Naturally it isn't very surprising.

People didn't play the beta enough to give that feedback it needed so we essentially got what we deserved. They released it and in doing that they pretty much said, "fine, lets play hardball." Now we get to do harder work on our live accounts. And now this is where I tell you "suck it up Johnny." We got a lot of work to do so if you feel like helping, fine join in with everyone else. If you want to sit and pout then go sit in the corner and don't disturb the ones who are trying to do something to make it better.

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

People didn't play the beta enough to give that feedback it needed so we essentially got what we deserved. They released it and in doing that they pretty much said, "fine, lets play hardball." Now we get to do harder work on our live accounts. And now this is where I tell you "suck it up Johnny." We got a lot of work to do so if you feel like helping, fine join in with everyone else. If you want to sit and pout then go sit in the corner and don't disturb the ones who are trying to do something to make it better.

People did play the beta, I know I did; I spent a a few days a week on it towards the end. However, they should have had a better strategy than to expect people to do Quality Assurance testing for them for FREE, that simply won't happen. They should have either paid some of their staff to do it, OR, they should have given some decent rewards/incentives for those willing to do serious testing. Instead, they tried to on a wing and a prayer hope that people would just do testing for them for free.

Also, we have earned the right to lash out at Jagex because we gave them constructive criticism, we told them to take their time and do a good job, they decided to ignore us and now it's lead to some unsavoury consequences. Hell yes, we will be pointing out how right we were.

• Like 2

So here's my constructive feedback: don't release known bugs into your system. Fix them all during your Beta phase. That's why you have a Beta phase to begin with. That can cost people their jobs. I've seen it happen first hand.

• Like 5

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think part of the problem was that some people didn't partake in the beta, so Jagex decided to release it so people would actually find bugs. *cough*

Honestly this is exactly what I expected to happen based on what I've been seeing while only logging in to buy staves.

I assume that in a few months when I actually play, you lot will have sorted this.

Carry on.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Does this excuse them for leaving in bugs that the community reported and/or posted about throughout the beta's five month run? You can't blame us for not doing enough when they flat out ignored a lot of our bug reports and constructive feedback - today I noticed a few bugs that I had reported when they first appeared early in the beta's run.

I spent a lot of my free time over the past five months trying to help them, given the results I'm not so eager to do so again.

• Like 4

Interesting, I couldn't find that in quickchat on update day so I assumed they scrapped it. Good to know it actually made it to the game.

Hmm I never knew about it, is there a main-hand version of it?

Being level 70 one would assume Karil's Pistol crossbow is the off-hand to match Aramdyl Crossbow, with Karils normal crossobw being the 2h at the 70 tier.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

In the beta you could find both Karil's pistol crossbow and Karil's offhand pistol crossbow in quickchat. Chances are that the main hand version probably exists as an alternative to the Armadyl crossbow (though it's likely to be untradeable too).

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Does this excuse them for leaving in bugs that the community reported and/or posted about throughout the beta's five month run? You can't blame us for not doing enough when they flat out ignored a lot of our bug reports and constructive feedback.

I spent a lot of my free time over the past five months trying to help them, given the results I'm not so eager to do so again.

No it doesn't excuse them. But the question is do you honestly think that they think they themselves are excused? By the bug submission notice thread on the recent game updates forum on the RSOF I think that speaks for itself.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

In the beta you could find both Karil's pistol crossbow and Karil's offhand pistol crossbow in quickchat. Chances are that the main hand version probably exists as an alternative to the Armadyl crossbow (though it's likely to be untradeable too).

I'm actually starting to believe that Jagex just goofed on making all the new upper level ranged weapons tradeable, mainly from the dragon crossbow and these though.

Sc.png

No it doesn't excuse them. But the question is do you honestly think that they think they themselves are excused? By the bug submission notice thread on the recent game updates forum on the RSOF I think that speaks for itself.

That's what I'm saying. With that in mind I'm not sure how you can defend them in this. They knew it wasn't done, we knew it wasn't done, but it got released anyway.

• Like 2