RuneScape is not appealing anymore

God Of Lego

I copied my thread from the runescape forum as I feel its more accepting here and no one/less being ignorant about opinions and debates. And im new sorry if its not the right place. I shall edit the thread as if it was not directed at Jagex. Just give me time and understand in the way that it is wrote.

RuneScape is not an appealing game anymore. Their approach to get new players is very childish and just turns you off.

Runescape should be full of adventure as it once was. These days you get thrown into some cheesey tutorial. I personaly think tutorial island was the best system to teach the foundation of the game. The best thing that happened to be was exploring, the danger of being a noob running past muggers was exciting. Mining copper and tin to make bronze was one of my favorite things. But as things went by the things that made it exciting went.

Now they protect you way to much as a new player. Cheesey starter quests being remade which have very bad dialog. Quests are also straight forward. Please go here please do this. Before we had to think and find items we are now handed them. The recent rework of started quests lack things such as getting your own clay and making a print of a key to open the jail. Thats what made them quests.

Baby new people? its a turn off. I hate when I play new games and they have forced really bad tutorials.

And if you want me to be honest. Members should not have buthrope. The first thing I did when I became members was run to a man and pick pocket since i saw it on the FTP servers. Then straight to the gates at the dig site, taverly and brimhaven. It was exciting and it was down to me to explore knowing theres danger out there.

If they want any hope in making runescape last 10 more years. Listen to us as active players. We have fond memories and we are defensive of a game we loved. It was us who funded you.

Thank you.

*if you want to share your story feel free

Quests in the old RuneScape 2 were still about "Go here, fetch that for us." The whole of Rune Mysteries was basically running between Draynor and Varrock, only without teletabs it literally was running if you were a low level and hadn't trained Magic up yet. If anything, quests now are less about running back and forth.

Also, is it not a perfectly valid logical supposition that new players can still explore the world quite organically from Burthorpe?

• Like 1

But we had to do more. We had to get the items and find out how to. These days its "take these" or some crap. Whilst yes they can explore. But they are babied into it. Silly guards blocking your way between varrock and lum. Its more of the appeal of the game I am aiming my point at. Whilest quests get reworked beautifully visually. Game play wise it gets worse but looks fancy.

I wouldn't mind a bit of running around now and then. There was some recent quest that surprised me because we actually had to go somewhere to get something ... but I've forgotten which one it was :P As long as the running's not overdone and the item collection doesn't feel to arbitrary or break the pace of the quest, I'd like to see more of it.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'd barely qualify getting a couple of ropes/buckets/hammers/insertgenericitemhere as challenging or educational. If anything, newer quests/ tutorials actually work better than the previous ones. Toturial Islan, for example, was a joke of a tutorial.

• Like 1

But we had to do more. We had to get the items and find out how to. These days its "take these" or some crap. Whilst yes they can explore. But they are babied into it. Silly guards blocking your way between varrock and lum. Its more of the appeal of the game I am aiming my point at. Whilest quests get reworked beautifully visually. Game play wise it gets worse but looks fancy.

We had less to do because there was less content in the game if we want to speak strictly factually.

Polls and studies showed many new players quit after mere hours BECAUSE there was too high a learning curve required for the volume of content which is why the tutorial is more forgiving now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

That role has essentially been replaced by Tasks and Daily Challenges, hasn't it? Both of which are found in Burthorpe.

But aint it wrong to throw them into an overboard tutorial that takes up a HUGE area such as burthrope? Since you look everywhere and its like what the hell. But tutorial island was small calm and you knew what to do at the end. It showed you the basics and you can learn your self from there it was fun. Another baby thing is the toolbelt. Whilst it has saved me alot of times I think its over powered. Maybe it should of been quest unlocked at higher end FTP around the area of Dragon Slayer but you could only put in and take out 2-3 at a time.

That role has essentially been replaced by Tasks and Daily Challenges, hasn't it? Both of which are found in Burthorpe.

I dont get where you are going? We are talking about the over all apeal to runescape as new players step onto it. And whats lacking from what made it exciting.

I'm pretty sure the lack of adventure is due to you having played for years. Your experience makes the newbie content seem dumbed down and redundant. My cousin recently started playing and he was having the time of his life adventuring around the game in his first days.

Tldr: nostalgia distorts people's views of the difference between the past and present.

• Like 2

I agree with that slightly OrTradeMe. But I still think overall the new systems they have now dont give the newer players as much of an experience which we had. Being babied till you know what you're doing just makes things very boring and dim.

Being thrown in at the deep end and told to swim (or more likely, sink) is demonstrably worse in just about every other context the approach is applied to.

I don't think we are more 'babied' now.

Back in the tut island days there was a tutorial you HAD to complete before you even got into the game at which point you were left to your own devices.

In the current format there is a tutorial you can entirely ignore and wander away from, yes there are characters on offer there to give you suggestions of things to do after the tutorial but again it's no obligatory. You could start an account turn of tutorial mode.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I found the current tutorial more "adventurous" than going on some weird, divorced island that just had "tutors" who barely taught you the mechanics of the game. It was lengthy, but no moreso than other tutorials you'd find today. One of runescape's biggest strong points has always been its story-telling and lore, and the tutorial plays to these strengths by throwing you straight into it with some awesome graphics and audio work to boot.

They seem to be aware of the fact that quests got a bit dummed down, yet they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. The blunt fact of it all is that people are lazy and they want things right there for them. Mass appeal is the most profitable. But how can they compensate that fact? Making the stories you're playing more engaging or thrilling. Carneilian Rising or Stolen Hearts were good examples of that. Unfortunately there's still a backlog of over 100 quests that need rebalancing to bring the mass appeal in line with down-right good storytelling. There's so much work they need to do, yet so much they need to keep pushing forward on, that now they're stuck.

Unless they spend a sizable and expensive amount of time to go back and fix the foundations of their game -- the locations, the storytelling, the balance of the quest, the utility of the areas -- they'll continually be left in the dust by their competitors. Immersion is everything, and having areas still the same as the early years of RS2 are deadly to it.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

But the whole appeal as you step into runescape. The cheese dialog. The dodgy voice acting. Do you really think that will attract customers? the overall appearence.

No, it doesn't do it comprehensively enough, and I've criticised that before. Also, I've criticised the advert they ran a while back with guy having a flashback experience while fighting the troll which I thought was incredibly misleading about the game's strengths and weaknesses. It's a very impressive graphical advert, which doesn't reflect in the game, while the game's genuine strengths aren't shown at all.

At least the new tutorial puts players right into the heart of the one the game's main storylines, though. Before it was a bizarre, inaccessible, soulless part of the world whose existence didn't seem to be very well explained from an in-universe perspective. It didn't teach players a great deal, in fact it taught nothing at all about member-only skills, and didn't give players any clue as to what direction they might want to go based on their personal interests.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the lack of adventure is due to you having played for years. Your experience makes the newbie content seem dumbed down and redundant. My cousin recently started playing and he was having the time of his life adventuring around the game in his first days.

Tldr: nostalgia distorts people's views of the difference between the past and present.

This.

Its all about perspective, when you've played for years you find it noobie and not so exciting. When it is the first time, its the most awesome thing ever.

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

Its all about perspective, when you've played for years you find it noobie and not so exciting. When it is the first time, its the most awesome thing ever.

Agreed. That's why I'm having so much fun with the EoC (Yes, I am. Don't look so surprised. :P). It's like starting over again with combat, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Only this time, I have a much wider support base than just my friend who got me hooked in the first place.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The game in general pretty much holds your hand now. I remember back when there wasn't any icons on the map telling you where banks, stores, anvils, etc were, you just had to figure it out. It was fun in a way, having to remember everything. Not necessarily better. It could easily end up being frustrating because you don't know what to do.

2480+ total

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" is what you're looking for.

I'd barely qualify getting a couple of ropes/buckets/hammers/insertgenericitemhere as challenging or educational. If anything, newer quests/ tutorials actually work better than the previous ones. Toturial Islan, for example, was a joke of a tutorial.

Tutorial island put me off playing for months until I was bored enough to try to trudge through it.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I hated the old tutorial island. I actually started RuneScape, was so bored with tutorial island that I quit RuneScape in the middle of it and didn't return back to try again for at least a year.

I haven't actually seen/experienced the new tutorial, but I'm pretty confident that it's miles better than the old one.

As other people have already said, you always look at the past in a more positive light. When you experience something for the first time, everything is brand new. That's why you feel like you can go on adventures and that's why you enjoy the content. But now, you've been playing for years so adventuring seems a little stupid or it isn't exciting because you know all the places and you've been to them all before.

• Like 3

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

yea the old tutorial was ok but lots of people do quit in the middle of it . People don't like being thrown into a linear tutorial but if you find it when young its kinda fun. And yes alot of my funnest moments in rs where before level 100 exploring and advancing but i also had some fun later on with high level dungeoneering ect. Personally I don't play that much anymore and also idk if Jagex is focusing on new or current players but they have to balance that all mmos need to and its not really an easy thing g to do. Basically if your bored there are tons of other fun games that you can try. Everyone goes through a boredom phase with any game. :P

StarViv.png

The game looks more appealing to me actually, at least to new players, while it is true that the game holds your hand a little too much now. Especially with the gravestones updates, the quests are actually more fun to me than they used to be, of course there are some old school quests that will remain good, but those like one small favor, would drive you crazy.

Also I think the new quests, such as Ozan's, where really good.

But then again everyone is entitled to their

opinion

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png