High profile players banned

Jake

Donnie, there is one problem however. What is being defined as fun? Your definition of fun is or could be very different from each. (What is the phrase ?).

For example, those players who had 5k castle wars games when this requirement was released, would have defined the minigame as fun. Hence they played it so much. At the other side are the current leechers/afk'ers/botters. They do not like the game, otherwise they would get the requirement legitimately.

There is no possible way for Jagex to cater for each and every individual.

Oh btw on the grinding part, actually there is a lot of diversity. For instance mining: At level 85 it offers you a wide scale to train this skill. One could decide for LFM for it uber afk'ness, or they could settle for Gold or Coal deposit and bank the ores. A variant of it is superheat gold ore mining with dropping. If one want a lot of money they could mine runite rocks.

However in the current state of the game with the drive for fastest exp in the game pushes the diversity to the background and let it show the grinding more. I believe this is wrong henceforth Jagex should attempt instead of 'making grinding part more fun', allow players to reach around the same exp/h with whatever method available at said level. Not making it the same, but more closer together. (I do not mean make Gnome Course at level 90 to be 50k/h as Adv Barb course is 65k/h, but at level 99 make Adv Gnome more 50% close to Adv Barb course. Like Adv Gnome is 60k/h Adv Barb = 70k/h, then make Adv Gnome 65k/h)

Pfew!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

@Donnie: I'm only correcting you on that one point, because it is ridiculous to put the responsibility for your own enjoyment with anyone but yourself (barring extreme circumstances like imprisonment).

A long term solution to the botting problem is to keep the game fun despite half the playerbase cheating.

It is a given that we, as players, want to keep the game fun. Half the player base cheating makes the game less fun, to me and to a lot of others. That means that for Jagex, wanting to promote their game, can gain (money) by reducing the number of bots. I wouldn't phrase it like you did, because it suggests that you should primarily look into things that do not target botting, and I don't think that battle is lost.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

@Quyneax. It is technically impossible to stop botting. The battle is lost. LRC while packed with bots is not harmed by bots in the same way coal rocks of old would be. Thats a good update.

@Miss_Lionesss. LCR is better then rune rocks because infinite bots dont interfere. Im not talking about grindy skill or castle wars, but typically "fun" things tend to be engaging and unique not repetitive. Would engaging skills curb botting? Possibly, but I think most would still bot because a number of people play for prestige not fun. Thats not a problem to me, the problem is, is when these people interfere with normal gameplay. Like CWars loafers or auto-rune miners, etc.

@Quyneax. It is technically impossible to stop botting. The battle is lost.

Nothing is impossible with (computer) science! It just requires money and time.

They could do things like:

• Scramble item, NPC, and game object ID values every client compilation
  • Send "ghost" objects and false data IDs which when interacted with, would flag an account.
  • Punkbuster like application to monitor processes and the JVM contents.
  • Frequent client updates to change the obfuscation flow
  • More.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

@Quyneax. It is technically impossible to stop botting. The battle is lost.

Nothing is impossible with (computer) science! It just requires money and time.

They could do things like:

• Scramble item, NPC, and game object ID values every client compilation
  • Send "ghost" objects and false data IDs which when interacted with, would flag an account.
  • Punkbuster like application to monitor processes and the JVM contents.
  • Frequent client updates to change the obfuscation flow
  • More.

1. Easy enough to bypass this, especially with how Jagex would have to write this. They would need some way handle each client having different memory values and being decoded by the server so that everything links up. Its hardwork for Jagex and easy to crack. More or less I cant imagine the fps loss this would cause since RS is a very server sided game.

2. More or less how Warden on WoW works is similar to this. They just check for altered memory regions and flag an account. Ghost memory regions can be found out and patched in minutes. The wow community finds updates to warden in hours.

3. Easy enough to bypass similar to Warden on WoW

4. Now this can be a pain but it is pretty easy to deobf when your used to dealing with it

Again theres all sorts of ways to make it hard, much like website hacking you can do a lot to keep out script kiddies but you cant stop someone who knows what they're doing.

I have 2 opinions about that. Either Jagex can't ban often enough, because of detection ability or other technical reasons or the other possibility is that they choose not to.

If they cant all points before stand, that runescape must be altered so that legitimate play is not gimped by botters

@Quyneax. It is technically impossible to stop botting. The battle is lost. LRC while packed with bots is not harmed by bots in the same way coal rocks of old would be. Thats a good update.

@Miss_Lionesss. LCR is better then rune rocks because infinite bots dont interfere. Im not talking about grindy skill or castle wars, but typically "fun" things tend to be engaging and unique not repetitive. Would engaging skills curb botting? Possibly, but I think most would still bot because a number of people play for prestige not fun. Thats not a problem to me, the problem is, is when these people interfere with normal gameplay. Like CWars loafers or auto-rune miners, etc.

I actually wanted to attack the point on the grind. There is a wide scale of methods to do said scale. If one is looking for fun, then use this wide scale to avoid the grindiness. That is what the added content is for!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

theoretically, if a player can play the game, so can a machine. But in practice that's not always true. (Ex: Go. A human player vastly outwits the computer player)

At the moment I'm sure that bots can be stopped for a time, but that will never remain constant.

And the above poster who said that bots only have to be deterred is right. The problem, though, is that bots are practically free, aside from membership. All they have to do is earn more than membership cost before they were banned.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

If you can ban a bot within 24 hours (running time), it's already a lot less attractive to bot for 'private', solo botters, because they'll go for higher levels which take much more time. 24h saved, compared to one 99, isn't so much, especially with the chance of losing your whole account. For gold farmer bots, you need to be a little quicker maybe to prevent low-level resource bots.

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Jagex clearly fails to ban within anything close to 24hrs. Even if you could ban within a week most of the high lvl resources would be left alone...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I don't know, botwatch did ban pretty quickly when it was live. I think most people lasted no more than a few minutes.

Key word :razz:

I'll take most over none. ;)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Your poor gameplay experience as a result of cheaters is a result of those decisions not the fact that people are cheating.

You agreed to a contract when you signed up to play Runescape. Now, you can bot all you want, but when you click that button to run your macro, that's your hand, not Jagex's. There's a difference between Jagex giving you reasons to bot and Jagex forcing you to bot.

A person giving you reasons to hurt/kill them does not mean that it becomes ok to hurt/kill them....

Of course it doesn't, where did that come from?

One of the arguments being presented here is that Jagex gives you reason to bot because the "game is boring." Even if that were true, which I don't feel it is, that is no excuse to bot. Much like a person giving you reason to hurt/kill them is no excuse to hurt/kill them.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was adding to your argument, not disagreeing :P.

• Like 1

To those of you stating that stopping bots is technically impossible. True, the way the game is. It wasn't so long ago that Jagex had made a "tough" decision that virtually stopped bots in their tracks; gold-farming was economically not feasible. Of course, the current CEO would have us believe that period in Jagex's history was a decline to game death. (I still refuse to believe this piece of marketing chicanery.)

I love free trade, but I hate bots. I remain optimistic that if Jagex wanted to they could leave free trade and yet make the disincentives for botting so drastic that it would be severely curtailed.

And honestly, I guess that is the current experiment. They appear to currently be playing a game of whack-a-mole with bots. One area gets cleaned up, but they pop up somewhere else. It remains to be seen whether, two years after they told us they were confident they could control the mess that most of us knew had to be released by reinstating free trade, it will, in fact, remain under control.

Whether these 'high-profile' folks from CW or dungeoneering feel put out or not by their 'loss', I'd say this was a win, for Jagex, and for legitimate Rs players. See Jagex? I will give positive feedback when you do something right!

And to Donnie, I enjoyed my gameplay experience in areas that are now botted and can no longer be enjoyed for that reason. Those that felt the need to cheat them because they didn't enjoy them? Well, I truly wish they would have moved on to something else and left those of us enjoying the content, alone.

They already scramble IDs every x amount of time. That's what the original nuke was.

probably source of the framerate problems too.

@Ghost. Sure it would be absoltutely better if they quit, they wont but it would be better

If only cheating never gotten further then SCAR scripts. Oh well.

I agree on the punkbuster notion; although a diffirent security service should be found. In my years playing ET and organized competitions cheaters have found easy ways around pnkbstr.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Recently banned high-level accounts: (apparently around 100 maxed accounts were banned for botting, with more to come)

From the HLF.

safer el7ob

big mikey

d e n m a rk

no response

fast keyer

base cork

gang

Vijand

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Source? Is it even possible to have a source on those bannings?

Account Help