11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

It does seem unlikely. Name/pics?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Not photo-shopped. Here's how he did it. (From HLF).

Let all of your random event rewards build up, they max at 3, after that all you'll get is the rare rewards that are indefinite as well as the rerolls, once you have all of the indefinite ones applied/let them build up, the randoms will only give you captain/crew/voyage rerolls, which will help you maximize your distance/success rates.

Links to some pictures of Bowl crew, etc:

http://puu.sh/1HsHe

http://puu.sh/1Htcr

http://puu.sh/1HsIj

http://puu.sh/1Hvh8

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Not all the voyages had to have been Scythe ones. ;).

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

hopefully they don't catch on or else they're going to start capping the amount of rerolls we can use per day :P

True but he must have had a ridiculous amount of randoms early on though. Only woox could manage to be that lucky.

lemme break this concept down

every random you get, if you maxed out all of the other items, would give you THREE reroll packs.

each pack contains 5 missions, so the gain is 15 more missions.

each of these missions contains another chance to get a random.

each of those randoms would spawn 15 MORE missions.

MY MIND IT IS EXPLODING RIGHT NOW.

8f14270694.jpg

I understand how it works, I've been attempting to exploit this for a few days now. There isn't enough time in the day to do 15 extra voyages a day in the Scythe. That means he must have gotten ahead before that. Maybe my luck with randoms is bad but there is no way I could have gotten the cap in all effects from randoms before Scythe. He is not just far ahead, he is ~2 days ahead of the people I thought were the frontrunners. He must of loaded up on good fortune crew members.

check the distance rates on the wiki and do some math.

it doesn't hurt if you also push it towards the port upgrades you need since a lot of the lower regions are really, really small gains and you're going to have to grind them anyway

keep in mind that the rates are lower if it's not the highest region you can do, but with a little math you can figure out where the highest gains per hour are

8f14270694.jpg

Honestly though this tactic ain't worth it for progression because nothing is gained. I mean yeah comp t req can potentially be completed and all low end port upgrades can be bought. The issue of time remains and it's success is kind of bottlenecked by crew stats.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I actually posted that exact tip a few days ago. I haven't gotten enough randoms to fully do it though. Also, I don't know how he has enough time in the day to do an extra 5 voyages from a reroll while in the Scythe.

It's possible he's hopping servers to cut the voyage times in half. Each hop takes about 1.8 minutes off the clock. That combined with the random event trick plus maximum amount of special voyages (up to 6 per day) can give him more voyages than the average player expects.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I actually posted that exact tip a few days ago. I haven't gotten enough randoms to fully do it though. Also, I don't know how he has enough time in the day to do an extra 5 voyages from a reroll while in the Scythe.

It's possible he's hopping servers to cut the voyage times in half. Each hop takes about 1.8 minutes off the clock. That combined with the random event trick plus maximum amount of special voyages (up to 6 per day) can give him more voyages than the average player expects.

He wouldn't risk potential bug abuse ban.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

A Hook mission is only worth at the most 900 distance if you've unlocked the Scythe, but typically worth 600. You can do two Hook missions in the time it takes to do one Scythe mission which at the very least offers 1680 distance. How lucky can this guy get? Lol.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Yeah but think about the gear progression... I mean yeah he will progress quickly with distance therefore unlocking zones faster, but will always be lacking in ship and crew stats. The further he progresses this way the lower his success rate would be because he wouldn't have the stats to complete voyages with a decent success rate.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The question is, is it smart to skip over the Bowl using this method. The problem with doing low level missions is that your crew / ship will be unable to compete with Pincer level reqs. Then you will be forced to send out a trade good voyage at ~33% (random guess) because that's all you can muster. I don't know if the increase in trade goods per voyage makes up for the lack of a decent success percentage.

I think i get it... Realistically he is ahead of most everyone. Those days when we could effectively get in all our voyages in the 24 hour window are what he had an advantage on. He would be doing the arc, skull, hook voyages. then when he ran out he would start using rerolls. I don't see it as a huge advantage though. My reasoning is because when you hit the hook/scythe zones things are pretty much capped at the 24 hour window. He would have to buy ship 3 to make a faster progress in the hook/scythe and likewise for bowl/pincers.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

still a good way to grind your early resource heavy port upgrades

even with the disadvantage in the new region, you're essentially starting at the top and therefore spend less time on crew that you don't keep and parts that you don't need

more importantly, it's where all the juiciest trade good drops are

with a lifeboat active there are few downsides to failing besides perhaps taking a hit on resources you don't need anyway

8f14270694.jpg

No matter how you look at it, right now he is pretty much 1/2 island ahead of everyone.

Only because he made a lucky call on the way randoms rolled rewards really. A really good call on the random system really... Other than that really there isn't much more he can do to get ahead now because of the 24 hour window and how hard it is to progress. Though if we took note of this we might be able to use it to help ourselves. How we may be able to do that is by saving our rerolls and such for getting the port upgrades faster when we go for them at the end.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png