11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

I have confirmed that the system update locks ships into the minute status thing.

If they have made port randoms different so that they can't do that anymore, it seems like the post update nerfs have struck once again. Making the top players richer, the less than top player poorer...once again it pays to be quiet until you've got yours, and then burn that bridge so that only you get the benefits. Don't even have to bribe anybody, clean and simple.

Welcome to RuneScape!

People who abused it should be have their progress rolled back to where everyone else is at. It wouldn't be too hard to do either and show Jagex actually cares.

So that'd make banking effects for later use on much harder voyages a bannable offence :s

That is not the same as finding an exploit and using it to get ahead of everyone, then telling everyone or Jagex about it so Jagex will fix it, when armor worth 500m+ per set is up for grabs for the first few who manage to grab it.

Wait wait wait, what happened? I haven't been paying much attention to this thread, or Runescape in general for the past few days ([bleep]ing Dark Souls). What was the glitch? How behind will I be compared to the cheaters? Where are the bans? Where is JUSTICE?

• Like 1

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Wait wait wait, what happened? I haven't been paying much attention to this thread, or Runescape in general for the past few days ([bleep]ing Dark Souls). What was the glitch? How behind will I be compared to the cheaters? Where are the bans? Where is JUSTICE?

By having three of each effect (eg bottled cry, powder keg) random event rewards would be redirected to rerolls, allowing you a much better chance at getting voyage rerolls for additional progress.

Not really a bug or glitch, more likely an unexpected effect (geddit).

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So is saving random event rewards pointless now? Should I still save them?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

So is saving random event rewards pointless now? Should I still save them?

I say it's still speculation but who knows. I had a random today after the patch and got a voyage re-roll and have at least 5 randoms at 3x rewards.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

I got 2 randoms a few hours ago, it could be me being lucky, but I got all the good stuff (2x adventurers reroll, 2x captain reroll, 1 crew reroll, and 1 thing of the 10% seafaring (which I didnt had maxed out yet)).

So its either me being lucky, or the max still is at 3.

A little screen of 1 of the randoms with most of the random-based stuff.

2ptnplk.png

I've had a random post "nerf" and all seemed normal as well.

Edit: Normal being voyage rerolls etc.

Sorry if this has been answered but does the warehouse reward bonus stack with merchants?

It does, you can turn 500 cherrywood into 700+ using merchant, Fortune of the Seas and warehouse together.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Okay, we'll just fast forward through the explanation (not really, the explanation is long) and then afterwards refuse to elaborate on this again. Please note that it is entirely possible that this is wrong and I'm missing something important.

There was one glitch that screwed with the voyage time so that it'd end faster. Unfortunately details are both hard to confirm and varied, so, for the most part, that one's not as bad on its own.

The second thing, however, made it a bit more complicated than that.

Ports have a chance of a random event after each voyage. Random events give stuff that can be used in ports. This stuff includes voyage rerolls. Normally, since the system is very random, the chances of getting one (or more) voyage rerolls per random was slim, due to the fact that there are so many different types of stuff that voyage rerolls on their own were just one of eleven options.

HOWEVER

Players are only allowed to have a maximum of three stock per item type. Because of this, the system would stop picking that item as soon as it was maxed out, and only pick items from the remaining types. A few players then thought, "what if I just let the stocks of every item fill up? then I can pick any items I want from the next event by using them!" followed by "hey, I can score 15 voyages per random if I force it to choose three voyage rerolls" and then "chances are if I do those 15 voyages, one of them will have a random event that will give me 15 more voyages!"

Some observers would be quick to note that by the fourth region, completing more than 12 voyages per day becomes a cumbersome task. This, however, was countered by gaining a third ship, and simply going back to the older regions to force through as many short voyages as possible to increase the output, in addition to being able to upgrade buildings much faster. A mix of large and small voyages could be conducted comfortably with three ships.

This was enough for some players to get to the bowl perhaps days or over a week in advance compared to people who played through without pushing this advantage. However, this wasn't enough for some players. They combined the effects of the time glitch with the effects of the voyage rerolls to burn through the fourth region within a handful of days compared to even the advanced group.

Of course, soon after most of these players reached the Bowl, it became clear that something was wrong to the rest of us who were still crawling along in the Scythe. Perhaps intentionally to secure their pole position, or maybe just because they could, somebody made this knowledge available to the public. Word spread fast...and then, because I guess Jagex staff seem to only read fansites whenever they're planning to do something that disappoints us greatly, changed the system so that it would be more fair, WITHOUT penalizing anybody already in the Bowl.

And so it was that a small group of players had shaved an enormous amount of time off of their bid to the top, increasing efficiency greatly by shaving off training and resource time for units and parts they didn't have to buy, having early access to later tier building upgrades which would make it easier to maintain their already faster pace (including the coveted FOURTH ship), and were that much closer to completing the adventurer storylines, gaining the subsequent piles of loot used to make the rewards (and by doing so, unlocking the means to pursue larger piles of loot), and in the future would be able to enjoy a month of unchallenged superiority in the best gear and boosting scrimshaws, without any cost to themselves.

Meanwhile, Jagex refuses to remove the trimmed completionist cape requirement of 5000 castle wars games on the grounds that it would put the earlier achievers at a disadvantage.

Anyway, the new system achieves what it set out to do, with the minor side effect of giving a huge competitive edge to anybody who took advantage of the prior system, and making it so that having even one item in your stock of any type is a bad idea, since if a random picks that same item three times in a single reward, the third item will be discarded. If they change it so that it'll only happen when you have three of a particular item, then having three of any item would be bad if the system picks that item three times. And so on.

An actual solution? Just limit the amount of times one can use a reroll per day. Better yet, cap the amount of randoms per day.

BUT I DOUBT THE PEOPLE READING THIS RIGHT NOW WILL ACTUALLY DO THAT

• Like 5

8f14270694.jpg

1c95a89424efc6e1032d52e6e6d4c331.png

Boo.

Boo, indeed.

Does anyone know how the Fortune of the Sea reward works? Is it always just a 50-50 chance that it could be a 10% bonus or penalty to rewards?

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

From what I can tell, it's a flat 10% bonus to your rewards, AND your penalties, meaning that if the ship succeeds, you gain 10% rewards, and if you fail, you get 10% added to any fees or time taken to repair the ship, and may or may not increase the chances of losing crew by 10%.

As for percentage bonuses on rewards, all bonuses stack except for multiple instances of Merchant, as stated.

• Like 2

8f14270694.jpg

The last time jagex did anything about people getting an unfair advantage was when? 2002? (sarcasm mixed with disappointment for those too thick to comprehend.) They are also about as good as picking up bugs before the content is released: see comic...

Jagex doesn't care about equality, and never have.

(level 90 weapons anyone?)

meamzed.png

The last time jagex did anything about people getting an unfair advantage was when? 2002? (sarcasm mixed with disappointment for those too thick to comprehend.) They are also about as good as picking up bugs before the content is released: see comic...

Jagex doesn't care about equality, and never have.

(level 90 weapons anyone?)

They may have not seemed to care for equality, but they do. Ill credit them to their statement that doing a roll back is completely unfair to the whole community online at that time. Why do a roll back on the game when you can search the gains of accounts that gained over 1m xp an hour, investigate them and then change or charge them accordingly? Why take the easy way out, dismissing your accountability, and roll back the whole community? Seems that last question of mine actually puts jagex in a better light does it not?

There are a couple memorable rollbacks they've done back when people glitched dungeoneering several different times.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Can we go back to the actual port update discussion rather than having to read through 5 pages of whining about how some people managed to get an advantage? The armour will still be worth alot by the time most of the usual players reach the outer regions. As far as I know, even with the advantages no armour or scrimshaws are available in game yet.

Anyway on topic, in what region can you get the bureaucrat and what does it do that everyone want's it so bad?

Scythe region.

Bureaucrat is base 250 all stats except speed and offers an additional 75 to all stats (including speed) for each unique crew member on board, making it exceptionally useful for multistat missions.

Scrimshaws are already in the game, check the GE to get an idea of which ones are around (no tree shaking lolol).

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Has anyone bothered to buy a portal upgrade? I'd like to know if it changes anything else besides the portal, like the ground or the overall theme of the port (not that I have any reason to assume it does...).

2dgucz6.png

Has anyone bothered to buy a portal upgrade? I'd like to know if it changes anything else besides the portal, like the ground or the overall theme of the port (not that I have any reason to assume it does...).

I believe someone earlier in the thread (when we were all around scythe/skull region) bought it and it only upgraded the portal.

Ugh, for the second time now I have had an assassin mission where I clicked every damn yellow dot on the map and each time was incorrect. I noticed someone else had a similar problem, so something must be glitched. Sadface at losing possible voyage rerolls.

So I finally figured out I'm about two missions from being caught up with the story lines. Currently I'm missing the hook and scythe missions from the biologist. I'm curious to know more about the duo and trio missions people have been referring towards.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png