11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Need to stop buying crew and work on the deck items. Really interested in what the cherrywood rudder might do on 4:45 times.

Edit: I may just buy the cherrywood rudder; enchanted rudder, which is only 2400 chimes and 500 cherrywood. Normally I would say save for the deck and crew, but compared to the scale of all the other upgrades this is a steal. Besides the speed boost jumps from 650 to 1000! After this I think ill finish up crew and ship upgrades.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think crew are best first, because they are cheaper and provide more benefit the longer you can train them.. but deck items are great too.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think crew are best first, because they are cheaper and provide more benefit the longer you can train them.. but deck items are great too.

Well keep in mind that lvl 6 cherry crew is only like 300 more than lvl 6 slate crew. Deck upgrade is also +300, x2, for all ships, and cant be lost

77yLQy8.png

Considering how cheap the enchanted rudder is and how strapped for time people usualy are you should get this after you've got a few crew. I mean 650 to 1000 speed is a way big jump. Everything as far as ship upgrades are pretty heavy costing 700 for ram/figurehead, 800 for deck, 1200 for hull. This might be the ideal time to buy a rudder over deck if you are sitting well with your crew. I'm guessing jagex slumped on the price scale here because they thought people would (or give them a fighting chance to) upgrade and camp for other resources more at this point.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

As suspected. Just the upgrade to the enchanted rudder cuts off 43 minutes. This takes a typical scythe voyage from 4:45 to 4:02 to completion.

15 voyages / 3 ships x 4 hours = 20 hours

Pretty much giving yourself some leeway to getting the voyages done in time. Without the rudder you have to put the all out with almost no dock time.

The rudder is well worth it, but probably only once you've got a couple sf, morale and combat crew.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Had two randoms at the same time one for each ship but only one of them worked. I guess one cancelled the other out, how annoying.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The rudder is awesome, it was my first ship update after I got myself a few crewmen. The extra ship is very helpful too. Once I got it, the voyage reqs seemed to stagnate and even go down a bit. I was able to send out all three ships with 100% success rate on cherrywood missions. My next ship update will be a seafaring one, since I've had the bad luck of only finding one new SF guy.

I've also seen new traits in the crewmen: my SF dude has "seafarer", which brings a +100 SF boost, one of my combat guys has "storm magnet", which brings -1% seafaring to the ship :(.

Am now wondering if I should buy the explosives expert for 2000 speed. Does extra speed still make a difference once you have the speed rudder? I feel like there's a limit to how much you can shorten the trips.

The enchanted rudder is the cherry wood one. This rudder takes off 43 minutes from your base time.

Honestly at this point I think this piece becomes a game changer. Once you hit the scythe I think people should break from tradition and reprioritize such as:

1. Get third ship first and foremost

2. Get enchanted rudder for a -43 min on scythe voyages

3. Replace all but 1-2 t2 crew or have at least 2 of each t4

4. Work on having 2 if not try for 3 solidarity units for duo/trio spec voyages. They'll help cut usage and make it easier for 3 simultaneous hard voyages.

5. Get deck upgrades and continue with tradition.

Some consideration for players who might be collecting scrolls or doing high level missions. Consider getting a sea witch to reanimate dead crew should a good one be risked.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

1GMOC.png

Wat do

Switch to Voyage List and select the appropriate ship for the appropriate journey, then try again.

Could anyone take a picture of their ship with full Cherrywood upgrades? Just noticed what a cosmetic difference armored hull made on mine. Cherrywood must be spectacular!

It's really not very spectacular, the ram has these underwater spikes that make it very high-drag, the rest is mostly the same.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The enchanted rudder is the cherry wood one. This rudder takes off 43 minutes from your base time.

Honestly at this point I think this piece becomes a game changer. Once you hit the scythe I think people should break from tradition and reprioritize such as:

1. Get third ship first and foremost

2. Get enchanted rudder for a -43 min on scythe voyages

3. Replace all but 1-2 t2 crew or have at least 2 of each t4

4. Work on having 2 if not try for 3 solidarity units for duo/trio spec voyages. They'll help cut usage and make it easier for 3 simultaneous hard voyages.

5. Get deck upgrades and continue with tradition.

Some consideration for players who might be collecting scrolls or doing high level missions. Consider getting a sea witch to reanimate dead crew should a good one be risked.

I'll have to adress the rudder situation and say that that's not true at all. The rudder is NOT a flat decrease in time, but it does add to speed. The thing is, you would most likely already hit the first speed thresghold with a 2.5k chimes captain and a Bureaucrat anyways, and since you will need these 2 units to achieve good success rates, the rudder is not that useful unless you don't have either.

Source: I just bough the enchanted Rudder, it decreased time by 2 minutes, would rather have spent the wood on a new hull or deck upgrades.

I did finally get a Fortune of the sea though, and activated it on my main ship. Sent that ship with a merchant on a 200 cherrywood mission, can't wait for the results *drool*

Could anyone take a picture of their ship with full Cherrywood upgrades? Just noticed what a cosmetic difference armored hull made on mine. Cherrywood must be spectacular!

Storm Hull + 2x Ornate Rigging + Ghostly Figurehead

stormhull.png

I'll have to adress the rudder situation and say that that's not true at all. The rudder is NOT a flat decrease in time, but it does add to speed. The thing is, you would most likely already hit the first speed thresghold with a 2.5k chimes captain and a Bureaucrat anyways, and since you will need these 2 units to achieve good success rates, the rudder is not that useful unless you don't have either.

I only have one 10k and one 2.5k captain, so when I use my Arc captains on voyages the rudder helps push down the 4:42 to a much more reasonable time (yes, I can still manage 100% voyages with an Arc captain). The rudder makes it much easier to hit the milestone speed requirement which starts to cut down voyage time.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I only have one 10k and one 2.5k captain, so when I use my Arc captains on voyages the rudder helps push down the 4:42 to a much more reasonable time (yes, I can still manage 100% voyages with an Arc captain). The rudder makes it much easier to hit the milestone speed requirement which starts to cut down voyage time.

I have two 2.5k captains and haven't even seen a 10k, and got the rudder because I could use it on both of my ships (And the third, whenever I end up with one). Cut a good 40 minutes off of my scythe voyages, if not an hour.

Naturally, I keep forgetting to add the rudder to the other ship :wall:

I assumed it lasted a week or some other fixed amount of time but not sure, if it is permenant atm it's probably a glitch, maybe somebody who has used one of the items close to release day can confirm if it's still active

Bbk.png

The lifeboat I activated in one of the first days is gone, still got +50% exp, which I also activated one of the first day though. The fortune of sea I activated yesterday is gone too.

Althought when all my boats are sailing and i press "Add effects" it shows that all three are still active.

The lifeboat I activated in one of the first days is gone, still got +50% exp, which I also activated one of the first day though. The fortune of sea I activated yesterday is gone too.

Althought when all my boats are sailing and i press "Add effects" it shows that all three are still active.

Are you aware that the effects are boat specific?

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?