Behind the Scenes - November 2013

Nobody

What fun is there when you eventually get the top end gear? You go and kill a boss with this top end gear for lower gear?

Having lots of money in this game is also pretty boring, especially when you can afford everything.

The reason why seismics are so expensive is because people aren't doing the boss at the moment due to believing that it is a hard boss when infact it is easy and the drop rate is currently very close to the drop rate of items at nex.

One reason is because Div has been a huge focus for a lot of people too, many who did vorago.

Also It's because people would rather complain than spend that time doing it.  But don't take it from me.  I've already been implied to be greedy cheater mercher whatever who plays 24/7.

Abyssal whips were expensive for a very short time (they were like 30M or so, for a very short while, nowhere near the current situation). They quickly plunged and became affordable as there were several people in the 85 slayer race. Also, you were guaranteed to get them if you achieved a particular skill, 85 slayer (and in those days, just about everyone was racing for them). So it was not an unreasonable expectation. Furthermore, we also had an alternative weapon which was almost as good in the Dragon Scimitar, which was extremely cheap (100k, I think), and even had uses that the whip didn't (strength training). This was actually great balancing on Jagex's part. Not at all comparable to the current situation. They aren't even in the same galaxy.

As for Barrows, the best barrows set, Guthans was a paltry 15M -- which is absolutely nothing now, and certainly not then. There were a myriad of ways to obtain it very easily and it was by far the best armour in the game for various activities, and it had a groundbreaking effect (healing). Even at 1M/hour (which one could easily make, even low level players), that would only take 15 hours for the best armour in the game. That's extremely reasonable. So not comparable at all, again, to the current situation. I have gone over both the example of the whip and barrows in previous posts.

Also, you are once again launching your desperate and tried "no one wants to do work" argument. For the millioneth time, we are not asking for free stuff, we are asking for a reasonable standard for obtaining items, so that the game is more fun, dynamic, and the community is healthy. That is NOT the same thing as being impatient or wanting free stuff. How many times am I going to have to explain this elementary concept to you? You keep ignoring it, or refuse to understand it.

I understand what you are asking for.  What I'm saying that it isn't possible from a business view. The part that I was saying that you ignored was this, which I posted: the point of this game is to get people playing as long as possible.  So far, it has worked very well, so much that people who are saying it is impossible to get X item will stay play despite that belief.  The fact that people have these complaints about the game not being fun yet still continue to play and discuss it is remarkable.

It is definitely possible from a business perspective. In Runescape's own history what we are asking for has been true, and in other games it is also true that top gear is reasonably obtainable. So your assertion that it isn't possible is flat out false. Most games don't require playing for hundreds of hours for one item. Also, this unreasonable requirement doesn't encourage people to get Seismics, it only discourages them -- so how would that increase business? It wouldn't. Most of us are serious players and we will continue playing Seismics or no Seismics, the only question is whether we will try getting them. If they are reasonably obtainable, we will, if not, we won't. It has nothing to do with business. How is a weapon that only like 5% of RS can afford and will bother trying to earn good for business? If anything, for something to be good for business, it has to appeal to wide demographics, not a minority of players. 

There is nothing remarkable or contradictory in partaking in a game or community or activity while simultaneously trying to improve it through critique. Nothing whatsoever. We do it because we like RS and think it could do so much better. It's that simple.

Abyssal whips were expensive for a very short time (they were like 30M or so, for a very short while, nowhere near the current situation). They quickly plunged and became affordable as there were several people in the 85 slayer race. Also, you were guaranteed to get them if you achieved a particular skill, 85 slayer (and in those days, just about everyone was racing for them). So it was not an unreasonable expectation. Furthermore, we also had an alternative weapon which was almost as good in the Dragon Scimitar, which was extremely cheap (100k, I think), and even had uses that the whip didn't (strength training). This was actually great balancing on Jagex's part. Not at all comparable to the current situation. They aren't even in the same galaxy.

As for Barrows, the best barrows set, Guthans was a paltry 15M -- which is absolutely nothing now, and certainly not then. There were a myriad of ways to obtain it very easily and it was by far the best armour in the game for various activities, and it had a groundbreaking effect (healing). Even at 1M/hour (which one could easily make, even low level players), that would only take 15 hours for the best armour in the game. That's extremely reasonable. So not comparable at all, again, to the current situation. I have gone over both the example of the whip and barrows in previous posts.

Also, you are once again launching your desperate and tried "no one wants to do work" argument. For the millioneth time, we are not asking for free stuff, we are asking for a reasonable standard for obtaining items, so that the game is more fun, dynamic, and the community is healthy. That is NOT the same thing as being impatient or wanting free stuff. How many times am I going to have to explain this elementary concept to you? You keep ignoring it, or refuse to understand it.

I understand what you are asking for.  What I'm saying that it isn't possible from a business view. The part that I was saying that you ignored was this, which I posted: the point of this game is to get people playing as long as possible.  So far, it has worked very well, so much that people who are saying it is impossible to get X item will stay play despite that belief.  The fact that people have these complaints about the game not being fun yet still continue to play and discuss it is remarkable.

It is definitely possible from a business perspective. In Runescape's own history what we are asking for has been true, and in other games it is also true that top gear is reasonably obtainable. So your assertion that it isn't possible is flat out false. Most games don't require playing for hundreds of hours for one item. Also, this unreasonable requirement doesn't encourage people to get Seismics, it only discourages them -- so how would that increase business? It wouldn't. Most of us are serious players and we will continue playing Seismics or no Seismics, the only question is whether we will try getting them. If they are reasonably obtainable, we will, if not, we won't. It has nothing to do with business. How is a weapon that only like 5% RS can afford and will bother trying to earn good for business? If anything, for something to be good for business, it has to appeal to wide demographics, not a minority of players. 

There is nothing remarkable or contradictory in partaking in a game or community or activity while simultaneously trying to improve it through critique. Nothing whatsoever. We do it because we like RS and think it could do so much better. It's that simple.

I really don't understand where you are getting the only 5% can afford from. Everyone can afford it if they put in the time like the apparent 5% have. Seismics will also drop soon, they will not stay that price, much like nex items.

Robbstarkded.png

What fun is there when you eventually get the top end gear? You go and kill a boss with this top end gear for lower gear?

Having lots of money in this game is also pretty boring, especially when you can afford everything.

The reason why seismics are so expensive is because people aren't doing the boss at the moment due to believing that it is a hard boss when infact it is easy and the drop rate is currently very close to the drop rate of items at nex.

You're reinforcing my point regarding why making PvM endgame is severely flawed (compared to PvP).

77yLQy8.png

It is definitely possible from a business perspective. In Runescape's own history what we are asking for has been true, and in other games it is also true that top gear is reasonably obtainable. So your assertion that it isn't possible is flat out false. Most games don't require playing for hundreds of hours for one item. Also, this unreasonable requirement doesn't encourage people to get Seismics, it only discourages them -- so how would that increase business? It wouldn't. Most of us are serious players and we will continue playing Seismics or no Seismics, the only question is whether we will try getting them. If they are reasonably obtainable, we will, if not, we won't. It has nothing to do with business. How is a weapon that only like 5% RS can afford and will bother trying to earn good for business? If anything, for something to be good for business, it has to appeal to wide demographics, not a minority of players. 

I really don't understand where you are getting the only 5% can afford from. Everyone can afford it if they put in the time like the apparent 5% have. Seismics will also drop soon, they will not stay that price, much like nex items.

Don't bother.  They will cry until it gets affordable with no help by them, then cry again when something new comes out.  Even if it hasn't happened for 7+ years (it totally has, but whatever), this is exactly what's going on.

You're reinforcing my point regarding why making PvM endgame is severely flawed (compared to PvP).

I always went to Castle Wars and Fight Pits whenever I could over the years, for fun. Unfortunately they aren't as popular as they used to be.

It's a made-up number, educated guess if you will, to drive home a point, representing the amount of people who can probably afford Seismics. Hence the word 'like' before it.

Don't bother.  They will cry until it gets affordable with no help by them, then cry again when something new comes out.  Even if it hasn't happened for 7+ years (it totally has, but whatever), this is exactly what's going on.

Mhmm, I've been reading the last few pages before, only just remembered my password now. It's been like this on TIF for a while now. Always a group of people moaning at having to make money and wanting it easy, saying higher levels were stuck up and people with money have no opinion (unless they want something from that person).

Robbstarkded.png

I don't really wanna jump in the middle of this, but I'd like to know what people consider "reasonable" as prices for level 90 weapons. I should think it would be based on how difficult getting level 80 weapons was, although since most of them came from DG that tended to get easier as you went along.

Obviously if we want a balanced combat system as was the point of EoC to begin with, the level 90 gear for each point should be similarly priced.

Personally I don't think any of the weapons are priced reasonably. Drygores are too cheap, Ascensions are a bit beyond what I consider reasonable (but obtainable yourself, which makes a difference), and Seismics are lolWTF due to the obvious issues stated on this thread countless times.

150-200m On/100-200m Off sounds good as just some numbers off the top of my head (obviously not completely possible because Ascensions are interchangeable, but that's beside the point).

I realize that Virtus Wand would cost more currently than Seismic Wand would if Seismic were 150m like I'm suggesting it should be, but in reality the prices are probably correlated, so Virtus Wand would drop massively if Seismic was that low.

2dgucz6.png

We can agree there. Reasonable is a price similar to the other styles' level 90 weapons; an exact value is difficult to determine, though.

Just had a look at weapons forums on RSOF. Majority of threads are Seismics. More than 3/4 of OP and replies have Partyhats and/or "the Charitable" on their avatar. Says something..

2dgucz6.png

A lot of people are assuming that the price will sit around 2.2b for seismic wand for a long time, the item is in high demand and there is little supply currently due to people not going to Vorago, not because of the drop rates but because of the LS/CS system which Jagex are looking to change soon.

Robbstarkded.png

A lot of people are assuming that the price will sit around 2.2b for seismic wand for a long time, the item is in high demand and there is little supply currently due to people not going to Vorago, not because of the drop rates but because of the LS/CS system which Jagex are looking to change soon.

No one is assuming that it will be 2.2B forever. It obviously won't. However, it's already been 3 months. And it will probably be several more before it drops to something reasonable. It's ridiculous that we have to have wait several months even after an update is released before we can access it because Jagex sucks at balancing things. Also lots of people are Voragoing at the moment. 

No one is assuming that it will be 2.2B forever. It obviously won't. However, it's already been 3 months. And it will probably be several more before it drops to something reasonable. It's ridiculous that we have to have wait several months even after an update is released before we can access it because Jagex sucks at balancing things. Also lots of people are Voragoing at the moment. 

No, they really aren't. Chance of seismic is like 1/40 kills which is fairly often.

Robbstarkded.png

No, they really aren't. Chance of seismic is like 1/40 kills which is fairly often.

Yes they are. Several clans are there, and there are several forum teams, and a few masses. 

I'm not sure if the Lv. 90 armours are unreasonably expensive, but I can definitely agree on Seismic and Ascension.

Ascension are just a little bit too high (I'm saying that because they're over three, four times the price of dual drygores), but it seems clear to me that the armours weren't meant to be used for your everyday monster killing. And they aren't even that expensive compared to lower-tiered armour of the same type.

Tectonic is like 75m if the energies are 900k each, virtus is 63m (mask/top/bottom)

You buy a set of Tectonic robes and then you use that armour to make over ten times that amount going to Nex/Vorago/KK/whatever.

Sirenic, though, seems to be around 240m from what I could see on the RSOF; If both Tectonic and Sirenic can stabilize at around the same price, that would be great.

The difficulty of the super barrows has been overstated. It is in between Nex and Vorago in difficulty, and is doable in tier 80/85 equipment. You won't need seismics for it - it might end up being the in between activity people do to be able to afford seismics in a reasonable time frame.

Just to clarify - I do think that seismics are currently too expensive, but that's to be expected given that magic is the most powerful style (this isn't new - even pre eoc, magic with SoA outdps'd rapierscape, it was just exorbitantly expensive. Really we've come full circle now. Ranged is shit, melee is overpowered for how cheap it is, magic is generally bad but if you can spend ridiculous sums it's the best. What exactly did EoC achieve here?) and their newness. Not to mention they look cool. People forget how big an impact looks have on gear.

I mean, even after they tripled the nex drop rates and made it easier to enter with ceremonial, full nex sets still set you back nearly 2b. Then they did the graphical rework and they started freefalling.

IMO you should have to pay ~ 200m for one set of tier 90 weapons. I think 200m is a reasonable amount of money to make for someone with level 90 stats. After all, level 90 is only really still mid to borderline high levelled content. The problem lies in that level 90 is currently the best gear in the game. Which means that even though level 90 gear shouldn't really be that prestigious or difficult to obtain, the fact that it is the best we have means it is.

Asmodean <3

The difficulty of the super barrows has been overstated. It is in between Nex and Vorago in difficulty, and is doable in tier 80/85 equipment. You won't need seismics for it - it might end up being the in between activity people do to be able to afford seismics in a reasonable time frame.

That's exactly what the two J-Mods on today's stream about th Barrows said, however, I find that somewhat hard to believe. 

IMO you should have to pay ~ 200m for one set of tier 90 weapons. I think 200m is a reasonable amount of money to make for someone with level 90 stats. After all, level 90 is only really still mid to borderline high levelled content. The problem lies in that level 90 is currently the best gear in the game. Which means that even though level 90 gear shouldn't really be that prestigious or difficult to obtain, the fact that it is the best we have means it is.

This is really a problem people don't seem to realize, too. If you have to pay max cash for some of this t90 stuff, what happens when t95 comes out? First of all, what kind of utter madness will you have to subject yourself to in order to obtain the item? I mean, Barrows looks like it has extremely high KO potential, and Vorago kills take 15-20 minutes each. Are we soon to have legitimate raid bosses, that actually take an hour or longer per kill?

Then, how much will it cost? Eventually, things will start being traded solely in terms of spirit shards because the values are so far over max cash that it's simply easier to just represent it all in spirit shards. 

4NIrZ.png

That's exactly what the two J-Mods on today's stream about th Barrows said, however, I find that somewhat hard to believe. 

I believe Ambler said it's easier then Vorago as well. Keep in mind that people at runefest only had a few hours to try it with strangers who may or may not have had significant PvM experience. 

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

This is really a problem people don't seem to realize, too. If you have to pay max cash for some of this t90 stuff, what happens when t95 comes out? First of all, what kind of utter madness will you have to subject yourself to in order to obtain the item? I mean, Barrows looks like it has extremely high KO potential, and Vorago kills take 15-20 minutes each. Are we soon to have legitimate raid bosses, that actually take an hour or longer per kill?

Then, how much will it cost? Eventually, things will start being traded solely in terms of spirit shards because the values are so far over max cash that it's simply easier to just represent it all in spirit shards. 

If you have paid any attention to how things have always been, by the time new stuff comes out the price of those items has greatly depreciated.