7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

If he wants POP sets then give him the information for POP sets.

Plate = 2 Whaler + 1 Biologist

Lacquer = 2 Convict + 1 Assassin

Chi = 2 Occultist + 1 Missionary

Try not to have the Whaler, Convict or Occultist out at reset time.

As it is tank gear is getting a damage reduction buff so POP gear will be much more useful at bosses.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I don't think there is any concrete evidence that 2 statues for one adventurer actually gives you double boost, so i'd rather hold off on having something like that as endgame. Another thing that i didn't actually consider is xp, which is something alot of people value above money. In those terms, whaler and occulist are by far the best adventurers.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

If they don't give a boosted boost, and you're not targetting a specific ports set, would Whaler + Occultist + Convict be the best setup then? Compared to each of them plus their own duo partner.

6Ij0n.jpg

We're looking to update the PoP guide with information more useful than just basic knowledge base stuff.

Permission to reference the analyses/optimal crew and voyage strategies discussed here with credit?

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Didn't get the 'cotta added to stocks, I think. (Unless it adds it when you see the end screen?)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Didn't get the 'cotta added to stocks, I think. (Unless it adds it when you see the end screen?)

The examine shows the original cotta, but the number shows the cotta gained. As soon as you click the success button it goes to your stock.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Any suggestions for my crew?

http://puu.sh/7PjGC.jpg

I'm not getting rid of my engineers. I have 2 combat, 2 seafaring and 1 morale captains

"Help me make a smarter choice.

But I'm going to continue making a stupid choice."

We get it, you like to go over speed cap with engineer crew who are useless.Congrats. Don't bother asking for help.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Yeah kinda hard to make any suggestions of improvement when you refuse to drop the utterly useless crew.

Engineers don't even make that much difference in terms of speed stat compared to normal crew by this stage, let alone the fact they were useless from the start.

I mean they are the Arc speed crew, like every region since the arc has its own speed crew with better stats so if you do insist on having speed crew why not at least upgrade them beyond Arc lvl crew. Could have firework enthusiasts from the skull, firework experts from the hook, explosives experts from the scythe, firework maniacs from the bowl or reefriders from the loop. Engineers cap out at 800 speed, that's the base stat of firework enthusiasts who cap out at 1600 followed by 2400, 4000, 5000 & 5000 with some extra stats.

Even from the bad choice of having speed crew on board engineers are useless you are doing yourself out of 4200 speed stat by using them over higher speed crew.

The improvements you could mark are:

Fire all 4 engineers

Hire 2 more merchants

Hire 1 more morale

Hire 1 wisp

If you refuse to fire the speed crew there is very little you can practically do upgrade your crew and you'll just have to make do with subpar performance,.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I mean, isn't the answer obvious?

GET 25 ENGINEERS! You like 'em hairy, don't ya?

• Like 4

Yeah kinda hard to make any suggestions of improvement when you refuse to drop the utterly useless crew.

Engineers don't even make that much difference in terms of speed stat compared to normal crew by this stage, let alone the fact they were useless from the start.

I mean they are the Arc speed crew, like every region since the arc has its own speed crew with better stats so if you do insist on having speed crew why not at least upgrade them beyond Arc lvl crew. Could have firework enthusiasts from the skull, firework experts from the hook, explosives experts from the scythe, firework maniacs from the bowl or reefriders from the loop. Engineers cap out at 800 speed, that's the base stat of firework enthusiasts who cap out at 1600 followed by 2400, 4000, 5000 & 5000 with some extra stats.

Even from the bad choice of having speed crew on board engineers are useless you are doing yourself out of 4200 speed stat by using them over higher speed crew.

Fire all 4 engineers

Hire 2 more merchants

Hire 1 more morale

Hire 1 wisp

If you refuse to fire the speed crew there is very little you can practically do upgrade your crew and you'll just have to make do with subpar performance,.

He's hired and kept the engineers for lulz because he's an engineer irl, but it doesn't look like he's putting them on voyages anymore.

What he's asking is how to optimise the use of only 21 crew slots as opposed to the full 25. There's not much wiggle room and the best he could do with that is to switch one morale basic with a merchant.

P.S. 800 speed is just as useless as 5000 speed, so he's not getting "done out of 4200 speed". Also your suggestion to hire a wisp is bad.

• Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

Fire all 4 engineers

Hire 2 more merchants

Hire 1 more morale

Hire 1 wisp

He's hired and kept the engineers for lulz because he's an engineer irl, but it doesn't look like he's putting them on voyages anymore.

What he's asking is how to optimise the use of only 21 crew slots as opposed to the full 25. There's not much wiggle room and the best he could do with that is to switch one morale basic with a merchant.

P.S. 800 speed is just as useless as 5000 speed, so he's not getting "done out of 4200 speed". Also your suggestion to hire a wisp is bad.

You'd optimize 21 crew slots following similar logic as 25 crew slots, except you'd ditch 1MCS and 1 Exile, keep 4 Merchants and x5 MCS with 2 Exile.

Merchants are best crew until you get abysmally low % success ratings and you should always have 4.

Exiles are only great for multistats - but by sacrificing MCS for Engineeers - he should be preferring single stat over multi-stat voyages.

• Like 2

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Merchants are best crew until you get abysmally low % success ratings and you should always have 4.

That's actually not true. The lower your chance of success the better a merchant becomes.

That's actually not true. The lower your chance of success the better a merchant becomes.

But you need to take into consideration of potential crew loss etc. Lifeboats don't work forever especially not if you YOLO every time with very low % success rates. Also it won't train crew at all if you fail, or so I thought.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

But you need to take into consideration of potential crew loss etc. Lifeboats don't work forever especially not if you YOLO every time with very low % success rates. Also it won't train crew at all if you fail, or so I thought.

You do realize that as your percentage of success gets smaller, the difference between using a merchant or not also gets smaller, to the limit that those numbers converge if the requirement is infinity. Lifeboats not lasting forever is a complete myth thrown around by people without balls. The truth of the matter is, they do last forever. As for training, that is an issue, but then again, there is only a finite amount of training you need to do, and as already stated, the successrate differences become negligible. Failures train your crew a little(believed to be between 5 to 10%).

Lifeboats last forever so the issue of death is a non-issue.

And failing does train crew, just not by a huge amount.

As for merchant vs not merchant they are pretty much always worth it unless you get to really daft extremes (which should not be doable really)

eg

1% success rate on a voyage with a 33% merchant that gives 200 goods = 2.66 expected return.

2% success rate without merchant gives 4 expected return.

50% with merch = 133

You need 67% without merch to exceed that (134)

Essentially at all the realistic percentages for voyages the percentage success needed extra for normal crew to exceed merchant is larger than what they actually give out and the larger the requirements and the larger the voyage payout the more pronounced this becomes.

Also your suggestion to hire a wisp is bad.

And yet xpx's own ideal loop crew as discussed earlier in this very thread that everyone agreed to in the end specifically had 5 instead of 6 sf in order to have 1 wisp as it had greater use in more voyages.

And yes i am aware speed is useless, however someone earlier referenced over capping speed as his reason for having them, with that in mind bigger speed stats = more over cap = "better" - but if that was not his reason for having them then it is indeed a null point.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also your suggestion to hire a wisp is bad.

And yet xpx's own ideal loop crew as discussed earlier in this very thread that everyone agreed to in the end specifically had 5 instead of 6 sf in order to have 1 wisp as it had greater use in more voyages.

xpx's ideal crew involves using the wisp on single-stat seafaring voyages to cap speed. You'd wouldn't go out of your way to hire a wisp, and if you did hire one, it'd be dead last on a list of priorities. It's a terrible crew member that is terribly situational.

And yes i am aware speed is useless, however someone earlier referenced over capping speed as his reason for having them, with that in mind bigger speed stats = more over cap = "better" - but if that was not his reason for having them then it is indeed a null point.

I'm not getting rid of my engineers. I have 2 combat, 2 seafaring and 1 morale captains

Doesn't look like it.

6Ij0n.jpg

We get it, you like to go over speed cap with engineer crew who are useless.Congrats. Don't bother asking for help.

@Saradomin - I'd said someone said it, not that he said it. I know what I read and what my thought process were.

And yes indeed wisp is a low priority, however that does not alter the fact it is considered part of the ideal crew for the loop and thus hiring one would be considered an upgrade of the crew.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Hey, don't talk to Thai like that

• Like 3

Hey, don't talk to Thai like that

I know Thai from my DGS/XPW days. I'll talk to Thai how I want to talk to Thai. :P

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Thank you for the advice Gwyn. 

I mean, isn't the answer obvious?

GET 25 ENGINEERS! You like 'em hairy, don't ya?

Lol I was going for 5 of them to have a full crew. I have gotten one about every 2 months, they are very rare when many regions are unlocked. I tried changing my totems to Laplace transforms but even that didn't seem to attract them.

• Like 1