7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

Thank you for the advice Gwyn. 

I mean, isn't the answer obvious?

GET 25 ENGINEERS! You like 'em hairy, don't ya?

Lol I was going for 5 of them to have a full crew. I have gotten one about every 2 months, they are very rare when many regions are unlocked. I tried changing my totems to Laplace transforms but even that didn't seem to attract them.

I don't know how many people would get that, but well played. it made me laugh. 

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Does anyone know how much xp you get from a voyage and how much xp you need for each level?

Failing that, does anyone know approximately how many voyages it takes to get level 10?

Does anyone know how much xp you get from a voyage and how much xp you need for each level?

Failing that, does anyone know approximately how many voyages it takes to get level 10?

I've been wondering why people haven't been calcing this?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Probably because it doesn't take very long. I'd like a reasonable estimation for my purposes, though.

Eh, so I'm at like 90% now (towards Shield) and I have all upgrades for the ship, 5 M/S/C, 3 TCM, 3 JoD, 1 Wisp, and 3 Ox...

Plenty of TC stocked now, so what needs to go?

You ideally want 4 TCM and 6 M/C and 0 Ox

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Probably because it doesn't take very long. I'd like a reasonable estimation for my purposes, though.

Assuming the following:

A Jade voyage is worth 1XP

A Pincers voyage is worth 1.25XP

A trade goods voyage is worth 150% XP

A partial failure is worth 20% XP (gives 20% resources)

A failure is worth 10% XP

Level 3 needs between 0.5 to 1 XP

Level 4 needs between 1.25 to 2.5 XP

Level 5 needs between 2.5 to 4.375 XP

Level 6 needs between 6.25 to 8.125 XP

Level 7 needs between 15.8125 to 17.6875 XP

Level 8 needs between 29.0625 to 30.3125 XP

I think it's safe to assume that level 10 is somewhere around 100XP

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

What's first priority choosing between crew and ship upgrades? Or is it best to change some of the crew, then some a ship part, then more crew, so that you have as few untrained crew at the same time as possible?

As a rule of thumb crew > ship parts.

Ship parts may give your percentages a bigger initial boost, but as the region progresses and you move into the next one your percents will be worse due to low level crew.

Crew first may only nudge your percents up a little (after a bit of a drop on swap) but then as the region progresses so do the crew.

By doing crew first you ensure you end up (or as near as possible) with all lvl 8-10s and the ship part, ship parts first would result in predominantly mid-level crew.

Crew costs vs crew xp gains means you shouldn't really have a huge amount of entirely untrained crew at once anyway, just try to keep your recruitments a little bit spread for the core stat giving crew (eg get 1 m 1 c 1 sf at a time rather than doing 3 m at once)

In terms of actual priorities there are nuances to each region e.g. in Loop the wisp is lower priority than ship parts. Depending on your play scheduled getting the rudder pre-crew can be beneficial as well, especially in later regions.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Assuming the following:

I believe it is also different between captains and crew. I'm pretty sure you don't hit level 3 on a captain after 1 voyage

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Assuming the following:

I believe it is also different between captains and crew. I'm pretty sure you don't hit level 3 on a captain after 1 voyage

Yeah, the numbers are for crew (Jade Merchant in particular, but it shouldn't matter at all). Captains probably need something like double the XP, since their first voyage only takes them to level 2 and not 3.

6Ij0n.jpg

Eh, so I'm at like 90% now (towards Shield) and I have all upgrades for the ship, 5 M/S/C, 3 TCM, 3 JoD, 1 Wisp, and 3 Ox...

Lol that makes it sound like forget the Wisp, which I'm fine with, but just want to confirm.

2dgucz6.png

Lol that makes it sound like forget the Wisp, which I'm fine with, but just want to confirm.

No wisp is in the ideal crew for loop so you may as well keep it now.

You have 3 TCM you want 4

You have 5 M/C you want 6

That's 3 extra crew.

You have 3 Ox you want 0

That's 3 spaces freed up.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Oh, I mistakenly read that as needing another S too. Thanks, going to try to roll em now.

I'm just wondering how I managed to come out with so much extra TC... I even did scroll missions nearer the beginning and have lately been doing trade good and XP missions. I do only send out one set of 4 voyages a day though, and before I was rerolling most except 150/175/275 (lately I've been rerolling all except 175/275 and trade goods). Either that's why, or it's not immediately apparent to me in my sleep-deprived state as to how I have 5k+ extra TC at 91% towards Shield.

2dgucz6.png

Your further enough through of Jod and don't have 4 lifeboats?

Sucks to be you.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I had 4 lifeboats well before Pincers.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Well lucky lucky you.

That was back in early Ports when random events tended to be more generous in a sense, anyway.

6Ij0n.jpg

*cough* learn to cap random event rewards *cough* <_<

About the xp question, it is generally believed that xp is in correlation with voyage distance. Level 3 should be somewhere between 4.8 and 6k and level 4 should be somewhere between 9k and 9.9k xp, but other than that, no deep and meaningful study has been conducted to look into the issue due primarily to technical difficulties in conducting such study. Failed voyages are believed to give between around 5 to 10% the xp of successful ones.

By my estimation with my cotta' merchants, level 10 should be somewhere around 300k xp.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Standard Bowl voyages max out at 4800 distance, but something I noticed while I was there was that even the non-maxed standard voyages (120 jade or whatever) also take a crew member straight from level 0 to level 3. I think XP is just based off the region of the voyage, and the XP change between regions is the same as the distance change (so Bowl voyages are worth double XP compared to Scythe voyages, which are double Hook voyages, and so on).

6Ij0n.jpg

About the xp question, it is generally believed that xp is in correlation with voyage distance. Level 3 should be somewhere between 4.8 and 6k and level 4 should be somewhere between 9k and 9.9k xp, but other than that, no deep and meaningful study has been conducted to look into the issue due primarily to technical difficulties in conducting such study. Failed voyages are believed to give between around 5 to 10% the xp of successful ones.

By my estimation with my cotta' merchants, level 10 should be somewhere around 300k xp.

It's well known Ports rewards were nerfed with Ports V2 release. Coincidentally, I wasn't even playing Runescape actively (or at all, I was on a hiatus) until Ports V2 was released and I didn't start it until a week after because I was researching the best way to do it.

Capping my random event rewards doesn't prevent me from obtaining ones I can't hold onto. That would be stupid to just sit on things that I could be using to better succeed on important voyages.

I do my randoms every time they show up and I check/back out of checking boats each voyage so I don't miss any randoms.

If anything it should be "Learn to not quit because something OP might come along that you can take advantage of before it gets nerfed"

Odd... I'm pretty sure you also were sailing to Pincers before Ports V2. Please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe RNG just favored you. Seeing as alt. accounts that started ports after V2 of other players are having the same difficulty I am having. With 0-2 Lifeboats by Pincers.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Should I get rid of my 10K Combat captain with 2x tactician and 2x workhorse for a 35k combat captain with -100 speed trait?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

It's well known Ports rewards were nerfed with Ports V2 release.

It's so well known that noone knows about it... Quit making stupid excuses. Random event awards were NOT changed with ports v2 update.

Capping does help in providing a higher chance at rare rewards. Anything to the contrary is complete BS. If you want to feel bad about your sorry self then do so without giving out false information. As i've already explained in this thread, there are very few random event rewards that actually give you a tangible advantage and thus it's just stupid to keep using up crappy rewards.

Unknown, i'm not swapping any of my previous captains until I get ones that i will keep. Consequently, I still have all 10k captains(have had 6 35k captains but all with 3 bad traits). Now also using captain rerolls, which i previously didn't want to do cause i have to give up my daily adventurer reroll.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.