7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

Succeeded 3 out of the past 20 voyages; failed Exile 3 times. Gained azure and then lost most of it, even eating into my TC reserve. Did recruit 3 35k captains. Is the ideal captain selection still mcs/212? And are the +1% to mcs and speed traits still best?

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

Succeeded 3 out of the past 20 voyages; failed Exile 3 times. Gained azure and then lost most of it, even eating into my TC reserve. Did recruit 3 35k captains. Is the ideal captain selection still mcs/212? And are the +1% to mcs and speed traits still best?

At least you've seen exile, I've only seen it once and  failed it at like 70%. Aside from that I've gotten enough resources to buy 2 crew members and thats it. I've failed somewhere around 90% of all the voyages I've sent.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I guess the answer is both. Firstly, the jump from loop to shield crew is huge. Secondly, some of the missions are just stupidly hard, for example, while 40k single stat is relatively OK, 25.8k double stat or 22.7k triple stat are just plain stupid.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I'm averaging somewhere between 45-60% on missions and just fail epiccly, I have full crew from the last region but most are level 8 so a level 4 in the new region is better. I'be bought 2 new crew but i fail so often they dont level up.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

If you not in the race for max distance it may be worth grabbing a few shield crew then heading back to the loop to get some levels on them to help make shield more successful 

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm rather sure you'd still be better off staying in the shield because that would allow you to max ship. An easier solution would be to level crew on the easy shield missions for which you can get over 80%(single stat 120 or 160 azure missions). As i've said time and again, unless you are going after a new ship, it is never a good idea to turn back unless you've maxed everything else.

Don't know, but given that distance is and xp is based on distance... Would be easy to test to see if the first voyage takes you to level 3 or not.

What's the best way to get Ancient bones? Haven't had any standard or special voyage offer them in well over a month. (all 63 stories done etc)

Have 4 jade statues and 2 of your 3 statues on missionary and biologist. Since bones are the most expensive TG and can be sold in small batches that's likely what alot of people(inlcuding myself) are going to do. Funnily enough i got both missionary and biologist bone missions today. Didn't do either and went for XP since a good sync is more important for me right now.

A small progress update is that i've now managed to acquire enough azure to get max crew and ship. Only took around 1.3m distance in the shield aswell, so if you have a liberal attitude to failure and don't get emotional over RNG fails, shield can be much more of a breeze than the loop. Haven't actually bought all shield crew though(although i've rolled enough to get them) since i'm quite picky as far as the speed/traits of endgame crew are concerned. Yet to see any new captain, though(and i've obviously not used any captain rerolls either).

What's the best traits for a virginal 35K captain?

4x 1% boost? 3x 1% and multi-talent? Or Lookout (1% speed)? Or workhorse (+150 speed)? 2x? 3x?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

If I'm lucky amd I get no ship repairs from cotta I should have the last piece (the hull) by around 95% loop completion. I'm so glad I stopped resource hunting lol. Lately I've been rolling a lot of "waste" voyages when I need cotta. The past few days its been like chime, 6 bone, chime, 6 plate, trait voyage... I still haven't rolled by my third TCM. So if and when the third and fourth TCM comes I'll most likely have to return to the loop. I should have mostly level 8+ crew in the shield.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

What's the best traits for a virginal 35K captain?

4x 1% boost? 3x 1% and multi-talent? Or Lookout (1% speed)? Or workhorse (+150 speed)? 2x? 3x?

Multi-talented is +100 for doubles and +150 for triples, so it's only worth it for triples (assuming you can get over 10k double with 1% traits, which you can, but not over 15k triple). Workhorse is only 50 speed extra compared to multi-talented, so that's probably useless.

Trade good missions in the Shield are as follows:

Bones - c/s

40 Spice - c/s

Chi - m/c/s

Plate - m/c/s

Lacquer - m

Pearls - m/c

Scales - m/s

4 Koi + 4 Pearl - c/s

40 Spice - c

Bones - m/s

10 Spice + 6 Pearl - m/s

Lacquer - m

Bones - c/s

Chi - m/c

2 Koi + 6 Pearl - c/s

Plate - s

(up to this, all voyages are 8 trade goods each, except where noted otherwise. from here they are 16 each except where noted.)

Lacquer - c

Plate - s

Chi - m

30 Spice + 10 Pearl - s

6 Pearl, 10 Scale - m

6 Scale, 10 Pearl - c

There are 22 different voyages, 7 standard, 9 adventurer and 6 dual adventurer. Spices, pearls and scales are probably not worth focusing on. There are two triples out of 22 (or 2/12 if you ignore spice/pearl/koi), so having more than one captain with 4x multi-talented (if any) is probably overkill, especially since the 1% traits won't be that much worse, only about 50 total, perhaps less.

Having a +4% morale captain is pretty important, for the lacquer voyages, as well as bones and chi from adventurers.

Having a +4% seafaring captain is good for the plate voyages, as well as bones from all sources.

Having a +4% combat captain is the least important of the three, but still worth having for double adventurer lacquer, bones, and adventurer chi.

Since combat is the least important, have another seafaring and morale captain. Exiles boost seafaring, so for your triples, perhaps have a morale captain with 4x multi-talented? I don't know how that works out in the end, but I'd say, ignoring anything but +1% traits could work out pretty well, too.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Q, you need to think about TG voyage frequency aswell. The standard TG voyages are most common, and 2/8 of them are triple. The 6 double adventurer ones are very rare so there is little reason to consider them separately. It also works out that the multi-talented captain needs to be a seafaring one, which would also be used for double stat missions(max triple stat ~12k double stat ~16k and single stat ~29k with merchant). It should however be noted that the percentages you will have on single stat missions will be much better than the ones on multi-stat ones, thus trying to focus on single stat TG missions and their doubles is a good idea(easiest combo would be whaler biologist and missionary to focus on plate+double plate+bones+bones).

Aye frequency didn't figure into my post much, I don't know how often you'll be forced to settle for pearl/scale/spice either, for example. You're right of course that triples will be common enough and double adventurers won't, but that won't change the ideal setup that much in the end, it only confirms that multi-talented is worth it (that it must be sf follows from the way ship parts are balanced, I presume?).

Likely, the ideal setup will take years to acquire, with the captains being rare-ish and generally having horrible traits to start with.

On a completely different angle: pearls and scales are annoying as hell, being worth so little and being so common.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

@Quyneax

While the extra odd 200/300s is fairly important, I'm more worried about not hitting the speed cap on my voyages. Especially on single voyages with morale and combat (ie: where Exiles are detrimental).

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

for DS9 fans:

dr5a10.jpg

Is that even real?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Failed a voyage and my ship got sent to dry dock for an hour. Paid the Black Marketeer to rush it out of repairs, and getting it out of repairs actually gave me a random event.

TAKE THAT RNG

• Like 5

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Failed a voyage and my ship got sent to dry dock for an hour. Paid the Black Marketeer to rush it out of repairs, and getting it out of repairs actually gave me a random event.

TAKE THAT RNG

It's been reported before. A very rare occurrence, though.

I know it won't be my final crew, but iw as wondering what sort of crew i should have by the time i get to the shield. I want to buy the right guys while in the loop so i am not screwed early in the sheild

i know 3-4 tc merchants, but i am talking the others. 

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~