7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

Maybe they could add an option for you to stop gaining distance? This way you could stay at certain region to gather whatever you want from there.

That'd be a bit stupid, distance is how far your ships have travelled, in what plane of logic would it make sense for you to be able to freeze distance but still have ships travel?

Part of the challenge of doing ports well is the fact things are always moving forward regardless of what you are seeking so you have to decide whether to move with it or hang back.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Maybe they could add an option for you to stop gaining distance? This way you could stay at certain region to gather whatever you want from there.

That'd be a bit stupid, distance is how far your ships have travelled, in what plane of logic would it make sense for you to be able to freeze distance but still have ships travel?

Part of the challenge of doing ports well is the fact things are always moving forward regardless of what you are seeking so you have to decide whether to move with it or hang back.

Besides that would make it too easy for scrolls and trade goods. Besides they have the option to focus on regions.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

You can just ignore the new region when you get to it, if you still need to train your crew or you need more stuff for upgrades...

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

^

1) Do more profitable trade goods.

2) Sell stuff

3) Buy more soups than you coulda made using the spices.

Doing spices cause you need soups is as foolish as doing less profitable options in mtk cause you 'need' the resources. The option that gives the biggest gp output is always the best as you can then buy in more of the resource you need than would've been supplied otherwise. The only exception to this rule is for untradeables - eg if you want death lotus darts or superior armour/cape/ring for personal use then you have to do it yourself as it cannot be bought.

Yeah but what about the 10/4 buy limit on soups?

^

2) Sell stuff

Doing spices cause you need soups is as foolish as doing less profitable options in mtk cause you 'need' the resources. The option that gives the biggest gp output is always the best as you can then buy in more of the resource you need than would've been supplied otherwise. The only exception to this rule is for untradeables - eg if you want death lotus darts or superior armour/cape/ring for personal use then you have to do it yourself as it cannot be bought.

Buy limits don't magically alter what is the most cost efficient method of doing things.

Not to mention once you factor in the voyage lengths and random occurrence of trade good voyages etc you probably end up getting a lot less than 10 per 4 hours by self sourcing spices.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

story voyages done , 62 : final was Recipe Number 132:Fresh Idea ... seems to be last on wiki atleast , no idea how 1 missing

You probably have the trio voyages left. The three different trios have three parts to them.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Part of the challenge of doing ports well is the fact things are always moving forward regardless of what you are seeking so you have to decide whether to move with it or hang back.

Besides that would make it too easy for scrolls and trade goods. Besides they have the option to focus on regions.

As you said Sy, distance is how FAR your ships have travelled. If you stay at certain islands you aren't going further than before are you now? it would make perfect sense that you dont gain any distance.

But yeah I see the other flaws now.

Oddish_Diy.png

Oddish_Diy.png

Oddish_Diy.png

As you said Sy, distance is how FAR your ships have travelled. If you stay at certain islands you aren't going further than before are you now? it would make perfect sense that you dont gain any distance.

Erm staying in one region does not stop you travelling further distance. Sure it means you don't travel further in 1 go than you previously have, but your ships are still travelling each and every time.

Your port is in Port Sarim, the island are in the Eatsern Lands.

You are sailing between the two repeatedly.

You are sailing extra distance every time.

If you live 1 mile from your school you travel a distance of 2 miles EVERY time you go to school. You don't only travel 2 miles for all the years you spend there.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Erm staying in one region does not stop you travelling further distance. Sure it means you don't travel further in 1 go than you previously have, but your ships are still travelling each and every time.

Your port is in Port Sarim, the island are in the Eatsern Lands.

You are sailing between the two repeatedly.

You are sailing extra distance every time.

If you live 1 mile from your school you travel a distance of 2 miles EVERY time you go to school. You don't only travel 2 miles for all the years you spend there.

So by that logic assuming if I travel every day to school and back, I will eventually discover new places miles away from the school just because the total amount of distance is same as the distance to that far away place? :p

• Like 1

u5zhkTY.gif

So by that logic assuming if I travel every day to school and back, I will eventually discover new places miles away from the school just because the total amount of distance is same as the distance to that far away place? :P

So by that logic you don't understand the concept of an example...

But yeah, it makes total sense the way distance is given, particularly as it pertains to failure. The only thing that doesn't make sense and should go away is that you only get half distance for previous region missions.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

So by that logic assuming if I travel every day to school and back, I will eventually discover new places miles away from the school just because the total amount of distance is same as the distance to that far away place? :P

But yeah, it makes total sense the way distance is given, particularly as it pertains to failure. The only thing that doesn't make sense and should go away is that you only get half distance for previous region missions.

Even the discovery thing sort of makes sense:

By travelling to a place repeatedly you build up connections and contacts and begin to learn about a new place you haven't been too before until such a time as you have enough information to think yeah I'll go there myself.

To further to school example:

One week a kid might mention that their cousin had a cool birthday party.

A week later you might be chatting to your friend who knows that kid and they'll mention it was a laser tag place that just opened.

A week later you might chat to someone else who'll be like yeah I know that place it's on arcade street.

Tada you'll suddenly have a new place to go to via knowledge accumulated in your repeated journeys.

It's a bit of a stretched example given how googling would factor in for modern people, but the logic still exists that by repeatedly being exposed to the same groups of people you discover more about things they know of that you do not - in the case of ports this is island groups further away from the western lands of Gielinor.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Come again?

I'm not arguing whether or not the distance system makes sense, but the logic Sy_Accursed used in his example. Even if one would have heard stories about far away places he would still need to travel there to discover it. If you simply travel to the same place over and over again you have not discovered anything new.

The current distance system makes sense from the games perspective, because it forces players to make choices and speeds up the minigame. But that doesn't mean it necessarily makes sense from logical point of view, not atleast with the current interfaces we got and since we have regions to choose from instead of individual islands.

u5zhkTY.gif

^

2) Sell stuff

They increased the buy limit on soups ages ago. It's 100/4 now.

hzvjpwS.gif

Come again?

I'm not arguing whether or not the distance system makes sense, but the logic Sy_Accursed used in his example. Even if one would have heard stories about far away places he would still need to travel there to discover it. If you simply travel to the same place over and over again you have not discovered anything new.

The current distance system makes sense from the games perspective, because it forces players to make choices and speeds up the minigame. But that doesn't mean it necessarily makes sense from logical point of view, not atleast with the current interfaces we got and since we have regions to choose from instead of individual islands.

An example doesn't exactly have to fit every detail of reality, it just has to be an understandable simplification of it. Within your understanding, the concept of examples doesn't exist.

Also, as far as i know, there is no limit on REAL trades. Sometimes you can just think out of the box, this time it being the grand exchange trade box.

If anyone is interested, the 'Fleet Admiral' title has been changed with this update to 'Admiral of the Fleet'. boohoo, this probably took them a full days work and a full serving of milk and cookies.

• Like 1

Come again?

An example doesn't exactly have to fit every detail of reality, it just has to be an understandable simplification of it. Within your understanding, the concept of examples doesn't exist.

Also, as far as i know, there is no limit on REAL trades. Sometimes you can just think out of the box, this time it being the grand exchange trade box.

If anyone is interested, the 'Fleet Admiral' title has been changed with this update to 'Admiral of the Fleet'. boohoo, this probably took them a full days work and a full serving of milk and cookies.

Within my understanding examples should address to the problem pointed in the discussion or otherwise they don't serve no purpose in the discussion.

Here the point Oddish was making is that you should be able to not gain distance when travelling to the same places over and over again. The reason being is that distance is the only thing that matters in POP when discovering new places. Within my understanding that is a valid point. If according to Sy_Accursed distance is just a statistic that shows how much your ships have travelled in total then his example makes perfect sense. But that doesn't make distance to equal discovery.

So according to the logic of the current system you can discover new places by going to the same places over and over again. For example I could travel thousands of times to the The Arc and eventually gain enough distance to discover The Shield. It's like saying if Columbus travelled often enough to Africa he would eventually discover America.

And to make the game logical distance should not equal discovery. But like I said earlier this illogicality forces players to make choices that make the minigame better, so it's probably better for the game. However that doesn't mean the original point addressed by Oddish would not make sense. Perhaps only a better wording between distance and discovery could've avoided this boring jargon. :P

u5zhkTY.gif

The example addressed the point by Sy perfectly, but not something that you also felt it should have afterwards. The example was about a previous point, not the one afterwards. Again, examples do not explain the system in detail and do not need to(and usually aren't) be very universal.

Back to that example, if you have sailed enough distance, you gain the experience to take your ship further. This is exactly the same with xp and levels. Once you have enough xp you learn how to make things of greater difficulty. To your arc example, making tens of thousands of bronze axes doesn't exactly teach you how to make a dragon platebody, either, but that's the way experience(and distance) is considered in the game. I'd say toddlers explore the world much like we do in ports(by repetitional exploration they gain the confidence to explore the world further).

• Like 1

Just made it Shield. Was able to get some Azure missions, get a 35K captain and roll some crew.

How should the Shield Captains look like? 2x Morale, 2x Combat, and 1x Seafaring?

I've just got to Shield as well, so would be interested to know the suggested Captain options as well.

I would assume you train 1 at a time to say level 7 to avoid losing a lot of experience.  At this rate, I may need to start farming Chimes !!

the_lad_1.png

Given that the average rate of shield captains is 1/6, beggars can't be choosers. Once you actually have the choice, 212 is the best one with the second seafaring captain having 4x multi-talented.

yolo'd it with 3 crewmen at 34%  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:  :shades:

7ifEQ.png

edit: got storm rider hull on even though I have blackwater hull.. wtf was I doing lol

• Like 13

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.