Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Legacy Mode

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

michel555555
[ Display Name History ]

michel555555

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:michel555555
  • Clan:fealty stars

Why? The only difference between momentum and Old combat is that abilities auto-activate. What exactly is it about EoC that you're opposed to?

I'm not opposed to the EoC.

You realize that legacy mode is literally just auto attacks with the old interface, right?

If you bothered reading the dev blog, it says that they'll tweak stuff around so that legacy will give much close experience rates, and by extension, closer DPS to using EoC.

Momentum currently isn't even 50% of the effectiveness of the EoC and certainly doesn't work as well as killing monsters pre-EoC did.

You can't just tell people to stfu and turn on Momentum, because it isn't nearly as close as what pre-EoC is like than you think.

And their reworking momentum right now so that will no longer be the case.

michel555555.png

click you know you wanna

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller

This is completely ridiculous... but okay, I'll go with it. I want to see what's going to happen if they do release it.

Also a small question, why would we want to have the old interface when we have a NIS? NIS is hardly the problem.

NIS sucks. I can't figure out where anything is.

But in Jagex's defense, I've spent less than 5 minutes trying to figure it out and I'm also retarded.
Lmao I am dying over this.

Frankly I am going to pretend that legacy doesn't exist.

I've been ok with everything jagex has done up until now.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Why? The only difference between momentum and Old combat is that abilities auto-activate. What exactly is it about EoC that you're opposed to?

I'm not opposed to the EoC.

You realize that legacy mode is literally just auto attacks with the old interface, right?

If you bothered reading the dev blog, it says that they'll tweak stuff around so that legacy will give much close experience rates, and by extension, closer DPS to using EoC.

Momentum currently isn't even 50% of the effectiveness of the EoC and certainly doesn't work as well as killing monsters pre-EoC did.

You can't just tell people to stfu and turn on Momentum, because it isn't nearly as close as what pre-EoC is like than you think.

And their reworking momentum right now so that will no longer be the case.

As long as Momentum actually becomes as effective as pre-EoC combat was, then sure, tell people so just turn on momentum all you want.

The problem is that people were capable of efficiently killing stuff using only autoattacks pre-EoC.
One would be right in thinking that people shouldn't be allowed to get the same rates as with EoC without using the EoC; this is why I suggested balancing Legacy so that it would be roughly 33% less efficient than EoC. For example, in cases that EoC ability use would net you 200k exp/hour, you'd get more like ~125k-130k exp/hour using Legacy (while you probably currently couldn't get more than 100k xp/hour with momentum along with horrible kill rates compared to pre-EoC even if you tried.)

Tom_Servo
[ Display Name History ]

Tom_Servo

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • RSN:Tom Servo

This is a bad idea and letting the....stupid (to put it mildly) community decide with an undoubtedly biased poll (you know the '07 kids are lapping this up, distorting the results in the process) is just insanity.

They need to focus on improving/fixing EoC instead of wasting time making two separate, incompatible combat systems. The beta improvements are great and it's a shame to see time diverted away from them to focus on pleasing an audience that no longer exists. It's a nice gesture, I guess, but it's way too late. Most of the people voting yes are people who are either playing ’07 or people who have come out of the woodwork in hopes that the game they remembered will be restored. When the bitter truth that RS has still changed hits them, they will crawl back into the hole they came from, leaving us (the real players) with nothing but wasted development time and effort that could have been used on something better, useful, or actually fun.

brad1431
[ Display Name History ]

brad1431

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  • RSN:thegame1431

love it, I always said that the last thing I want RS to do is to try to become WOW, and that was what EOC did.  I play RS for the relaxed style of combat and although I can use EOC, I dont want all the extra clicking and watching action bars, I was my relaxed style of combat back.  hopefully they will rebalance it with EOC and they will be same EXP and kill rate

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

This is a bad idea and letting the....stupid (to put it mildly) community decide with an undoubtedly biased poll (you know the '07 kids are lapping this up, distorting the results in the process) is just insanity.

They need to focus on improving/fixing EoC instead of wasting time making two separate, incompatible combat systems. The beta improvements are great and it's a shame to see time diverted away from them to focus on pleasing an audience that no longer exists. It's a nice gesture, I guess, but it's way too late. Most of the people voting yes are people who are either playing ’07 or people who have come out of the woodwork in hopes that the game they remembered will be restored. When the bitter truth that RS has still changed hits them, they will crawl back into the hole they came from, leaving us (the real players) with nothing but wasted development time and effort that could have been used on something better, useful, or actually fun.

6FFUh.png

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Your handwriting is almost as bad as mine. I approve.

ixfd64
[ Display Name History ]

ixfd64

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:ixfd64
  • RSN2:ixfd64 rs2
I'm with Golvellius here.

As much as I'm interested in pre-EOC combat, I can't see how it could possibly integrate with EOC. The best solution I could come up with is to have separate servers.
ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer
ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Translation please?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Translation please?

Y: Effectiveness of Democracy

X: Average IQ

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Translation please?
Y: Effectiveness of Democracy
X: Average IQ
Oh I like that joke!

Ok, back on topic... the only legitimate reason I would personally have to accept legacy is due to the state of pking and the pvp clan community. I'm sorry even p2p pking back in the day was pretty rough and uncommon (due to OP weapons at the time), but it was still fun and clans existed there. My point being legacy might be necessary for pking and give clans the right environment to grow and flourish.

With that said I think legacy should be kept as a pvp only piece. I would love to see clans wandering the wilderness again. I miss the days of pking with my old clan the Gladiatorz. Those were the days...

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

love it, I always said that the last thing I want RS to do is to try to become WOW, and that was what EOC did.  I play RS for the relaxed style of combat and although I can use EOC, I dont want all the extra clicking and watching action bars, I was my relaxed style of combat back.  hopefully they will rebalance it with EOC and they will be same EXP and kill rate

Isn't that what Conservation is going to be for? No need for this whole new-old combat system which is going to be a total waste of dev time.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

BloodAngel
[ Display Name History ]

BloodAngel

Retired Website Crew

• Website Crew
  • 3,645 posts
  • RSN:Severa

Someone on Reddit kindly summarised a Q&A from last night which mainly focusses on legacy mode:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Quorra
[ Display Name History ]

Quorra

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • RSN:Resistian

http://www.youtube.c...VgRsVGFj4#t=993

16m30s+ sums it up pretty good. (Warning: language)

bGmskuB.gif

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
Shield buffs incoming!

Glad I bought merciful and malevolent.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Why would they make staves 1h again? and wedge in 'shield staves'

Granted dw>2h but still 2h should exist and there is no need for staves to be made 1h again, if theres an issue with 1h deal with it being over-priced (virtus and seismic) not just break other puts of the system. Also shield staves? wtf. That makes no sense they are a 2h wep they aren't supposed to be usable with a shield. The only reason 'shield bows' exist is because it is physically impossible to have a 1h bow so they are acting as a pre-built 1h+shield whilst normal bows stand in for both 2h and dw.

1h staves would've made sense opposed to wands (for some tiers atleast) when it first launched (akin to crossbows setup) but putting them in now when we already have a solid system of wands in place seems derpy; especially when 1-70 in wands is pretty cheap. I could see a case for adding in elemental wand counterparts to the staves in terms of equality/balance, but 1h staves just seem needless at this stage

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,953 posts
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I

I would go back to playing the current version of RS if this happens.

Turn on momentum.

People need to stop throwing that response around like it's actually a solution.

I don't think he's opposed to EOC. I think he is saying in EOC momentum isn't exactly a solution because to him it still doesn't work the same as old combat, or that momentum is not what old combat supporters want. Then again I dunno if that's what he means. Ninja'd

As for the whole combat thing, honestly I don't care. I know Jagex is trying but I just stopped caring. I expect less of this game everyday so I when something decent comes out, I can be pleased with it.

Well aparently whatever I will say will be result in my head being bitten off and my nuts forcefully removed from my body for the sheer fact that if I wanted to press keys to activate my abilities to kill enemies I would play another game - turning on momentum was all good fun back when it worked and I liked that but what I truly can't stand is the new interface. Maybe I haven't REALLY looked at it fully. But I have always been used to the old fixed screen - and when they introduced the whole garlic bread interface I lost interest fully. 

And before you go ahead and bite my head off and remove my nuts, I have [bleep]ing tried the new interface.

Luck be a Lady

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
Yeah I think I get where they are going with one handed staves and that's fine. The shieldstaves are a wee bit overboard.

The overpricing of wands was due to ck
Oncentrated blast and what it took to get them. I mean you could easily get wands of treachery from crowds running the market on them due to the sheer xp gains from warbands. Also barrows is so easy that its no wonder ahrims wand would be so easily obtainable.

Nex is fairly easy these days, but she has such a varied drop table and teams request decent gear still in order for you to come along. Vorago... lol. Everyone knows what's up with him: hard to kill, hard to survive and very rare drops.

Frankly they could do one handed staves and make battlestaves two handed. They could also change some staves up to play out as staves and battlestaves to even out the tiers. Another good idea is make staves and then battlestaves as two handed weapons with a bit of crit added to them.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

I hope we can EOC-pk the legacy noobs. Otherwise more disparity and i'm not even going to bother PVPing anymore.

There was finally an influx, seeing teams at revenants, chaos elemental & MB, penguins, warbands. Almost got a full armadyl PK yesterday too... RIP progress.

Choke on your nostalgia D:

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xpx

Legacy will not be better than EoC. EoC will not be better than Legacy.

Oh. GOOD LUCK with that. These morons can't even balance 3 simple attack styles working on a copy-paste system. What are the odds that they can balance 6? Yeah. 0. People will use whatever is best and this is a huge waste of development time. Giving people what they want is STUPID. No democratic government has ever survived doing that. You have to give people what they NEED.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users